The general Metal discussion thread

<333333333333

@Bear I listened to Pneuma and I'm completely mind blown. Its fucking excellent. I would love to hear more recommendations for dynamic and experimental metal bands.

Anyway, Intronaut just released another fucking great record:

@Bear I listened to Pneuma and I'm completely mind blown. Its fucking excellent. I would love to hear more recommendations for dynamic and experimental metal bands.

That is very cool, and I'll come back with some recommendations for some great experimental metal bands later. But I just woke up so I gotta get down some coffee and watch a movie before I do anything else.

In the meantime people should check ou this gem of a band:

Very cool band with a lot of different music to offer. Some of their releases is atmospheric black metal, a few avant-garde/experimental black metal, psychedelic folk, ambient and so on. Very much recommended. Got a shitload of releases though. Between their formation in 2005 and now they've released 13 albums (13 of them between 2007 and 2011), 36 EPs and some demos, singles and splits.

The two members also have two other bands, one which is very productive as well. With Oaks of Bethel they have released 12 albums and something like 11 proper EPs. Recommended band as well. Very good, but less experimental than the first one.

Gama Bomb's new album 'Untouchable Glory' is solid as was eventually expected from them. I can't find any flaws on there and it's right in line with their previous works. This band is crazy good at reproducing an original eighties thrash/speed metal sound and is probably one of my favourite acts in the modern thrash metal scene.

^ I was gonna check it out, but always somehow forgot about it (that, and I'm not in the mood for thrash these days). If it's as good as their usual, that's okay for me. :) Will check it soon.

Never kicked much on Gama Bomb, and this was more or less like everything else I've heard from the guys. Always sounded like just another retro thrash metal band, just like Havok, Bonded by Blood, Lich King, Evile, Fueled by Fire and so on. For mot part they sound flat, modern and boring, and I just can't find no character in their music.

The music video is great, though. Fantastic video. Sonny Chiba!!!

But because of Lestat'senthusiasm towards Gama Bomb I thought I'd go through the discography of the band, as well as other bands like Bio-Cancer, Havok, Bonded by Blood, Lich King, Fueled by Fire, Chronosphere, Possessor, Violator and so on and see if I enjoy them more now. I'm not all that positive, though. But I'll give all of them, as well as others, a new, fair chance.

But at the end of the day I am sure I'll just stick to old Toxic Holocaust, Fastkill, Deathraiser, first Merciless Death, Avenger of Blood, Sauron and a few more. These are also a part of the thrash metal revival, but they sound quite different than the others above. These bands (-Merciless Death) seem to be a lot more inspired by Kreator, Sodom, Sadus, Dark Angel, Destruction, Bathory and son on, rather than by Exodus, Vio-Lence, Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Evildead and so on which seems to be the main inspiration for the ones above.

But as I said, I'll give the pizza-thrashers a new, fair chance and see if anyone hits me a bit harder this time around.

original.jpg

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/2015-11-10/abbath-premieres-new-song-winter-bane

The new songs sounds pretty good to be honest, and is easily the best song till now. Sounds like Sons of Northern Darkness mixed with Between Two Worls. A lot more heavy metal-oriented than I was expecting. The cover art however: godfuckingawful! What the hell was he thinking?

One of my favorite metal artists who I haven't seen mentioned here, A Pregnant Light, just released a new EP a couple weeks back called All Saints Day and it kind of slays. A Pregnant Light is one dude who does some amazing indie experimental metal (often with black metal vibes).

Listen to it on his bandcamp.

And if you've never heard them, check out my favorite track 'Ringfinger' below to get a taste.

Going to a gig tonight. Psychedelic and folky progressive rockers Tusmørke and black metallers Dødsengel, as a marking that it is 666 years since 1349, when the black death fucked people up. It's a weird combination of bands, but as both are amazing I've stoked as fuck. Been wanting to see Tusmørke since forever now, so it's nice to finally get a chance to see them. And Dødsengel was AMAZING at this (or was it last?) years Inferno. Superb gig from a band with very little live experience. I think it might have been their second or third gig, and it was massive. Now, with a few more gigs on their back, I expect them to be even better.

Yeah! This is gonna be so good.

Dat new Haunted Shores EP has to be one of the better EPs of the year

Had no idea they even released one. Will have to check that out now. 

I've been busy and out of the metal loop these last few months. But 2 albums I've been jamming is the new Born Of Osiris Release, Soul Sphere and Gorod's A Maze Of Recycled Creed. Soul Sphere a step in the right direction and a good hybrid of old and new BOO. I definitely appreciate their effort to offer something a bit more technical this time around. 

And one of my favorite metal releases for this year was Gorod's new album. Technical groove death metal. So awesome. 

And I'm still super hype for the new faceless album. Whenever that may drop. These guys never disappoint. 

I didn't listen to Gorod before, but yeah, that new album was pretty sweet! New BOO was okayish as well, not too crazy about it tho.

Man, The Faceless should come out with a new album already... xD *insert "it's been 84 years" gif*

Saw these guys last saturday as one of the opening bands for Kadavar at the actual tour. That was one perfect example of an instand-addicition. <3

Satan's Satyrs are amazing. Their debut album, Wild Beyond Belief!, is a real masterpiece. 100% occult bikersploitation doom metal punk. Would be the perfect soundtrack to a film like Psychomania. While Die Screaming was good, it didn't have the same effect on me. Not even close. A bit too polished and standard, and it lacked real character which they had on their debut, EP and demo. The two songs I've heard off Don't Deliver Us has been very good. Total Blue Cheer worship!

And if you enjoy Satan's Satyrs Wild Beyond Belief!, you should check out Alucarda's Raw Howls for sure. It's got the same occult, bikersploitation vibe, and the album is at least as good as Wild Beyond Belief!, if not even better. Truth be told I think Wild Beyond Belief! sounds better in terms of production, while Raw Howls have better songs. But they're equal to me. Great albums!

gold 3rd or 4th best this year

Triumvir Foul, who I have been praising like mad since their 2014 demo was released, released their debut album yesterday. Death metal with a very foul stench, just the way I like it. The band makes me think of bands such as Abhorrence, Necrovore, Swallowed and Autopsy. The demo is one of the best death metal releases in modern times, and the album doesn't seem to stand back from it at all. Sounds really god damn good after a few listens.

triumvir.jpg