The general Metal discussion thread

Ah yes, I can see what you mean. It's just that it all flows together nicely for me, I can't really separate these things in my mind (the deathcore part, or the black metal parts, or the occasional grindcore-like parts, etc), since I came to expect such a mixture from A.N. But yeah, I can imagine it gets irritating for those who don't like this typical death/metalcore practice.

I only can get into really dark lo-fi / raw / depressive / atmospheric black metal, it's strictly about it...

don't even like death metal... everything else metalwise is painfully unbearable to my taste, specially that epic / power / melodic etc stuff (eew)

Care to mention some bands you like? I find it weird when people say they are into black metal but not death metal. Two different genres, but still.

of course.. some favorites:

Darvulia, Velvet Cacoon/Clair Cassis, Manierisme, Judas Iscariot, Peste Noire, Belkètre, Celestia, Murmuüre, Xasthur, Blut aus Nord, Lifelover, Lonesummer, Mütiilation, I'm in a coffin, Infernal Necromancy, Vlad Tepes, Burzum, Rebirth of Nefast, Glossolalia... etc

Cool. Some really great bands there. No idea what I'm in a Coffin are doing there though. Heh. Awful band, and one of the worst depressive black metal bands around.

I can dig some Xasthur and Burzum! Not really into the lo-fi end of BM here... tho kinda always wanted to try out Judas Iscariot - any preferred starter album?

Heaven in Flames and To Embrace the Corpses Bleeding are that places to start. Judas Iscariot's best albums by far. Akhenaten also got a drummer for these albums, so they're not as sloppy as the previous ones, though still pretty sloppy. But if one can deal with that one should be able to appreciate these two glorious black metal pieces.

By the way, a nice place to go when it comes to black metal are the Finnish scene, or bands that sounds Finnish. They're often ridiculously catchy and easy to get into. They're often a great stepping stone.

Sargest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdl8AOmBw6Q

Horna:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEpEwEeo_5M

Sarkrista (German band with a Finnish sound):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAgLvEYD8jM

Bands like these are often easy to get into. Some people will also recommend Satanic Warmaster and Goatmoon too, but avoid them at all costs. Awful bands.

Cool. Some really great bands there. No idea what I'm in a Coffin are doing there though. Heh. Awful band, and one of the worst depressive black metal bands around.

I like them mostly due to the strong emphasis on the bass. something I don't hear very often in BM...

why you find them so awful?

Also, have been looking for some raw bm with more differentiated drumming, something tribal, medieval percussion... or at least more hollow, cavernous, echoing beats.... it's something you can hear sparsely in some of Darvulia songs... unsuccessful to find something really similar so far

My problems with I'm in a Coffin are the vocals, which are unintentionally funny. Not when he's using your regular grim vocals, but when he's starting to go a bit over the top and hysterical it becomes hilarious. I don't mind vocals that are over the top (Rainer fuckin' Landfermann anyone?), but it just doesn't work with this band. They sound weak as fuck. They sound very immature, if you get what I mean? It's hard to explain. The songwriting isn't very good in my ears either. Feels very immature and very hastened. As if they suddenly realised they would start making this type of music after listening to a couple of depressive black metal acts, but without putting much effort into it. The bass is way too loud as well. I don't mind bass in the front, but the bass needs to both sound better and be more interesting tan this to excuse that kind of stuff. And I think it lacks depression, it lacks the gloomy atmosphere and all that makes this genre so good.

Awful band name and image too, but that's not something I care much about. most of these emo black metal bands have awful images. And it's not like a band name like Make a Change... Kill Yourself is any better. Awful band name, fantastic band!

By the way, what do you think of the originals within DSBM? Thinking of bands like Strid, Forgotten Woods, Bethlehem and the rest of the creators of the genre.

And since you seem to know a lot about black metal in general, top 5-10 depressive black metal albums/EPs/demos?

That's really disappointing. If I saw Deafheaven and they only played one song fro the debut in an hour I'd be so disappointed.

By the way, anyone into funeral doom here? Be it the gothic kind, black kind, death kind of whatever. Any fans? I've had a huge funeral doom kick lately. Amazing and underrated genre.

By the way, anyone into funeral doom here? Be it the gothic kind, black kind, death kind of whatever. Any fans? I've had a huge funeral doom kick lately. Amazing and underrated genre.

Well, I only know Shape of Despair, but I didn't listen so much to their stuff. 
Otherwise, any suggestions ?

Personally, I found an amazing band recently... Just try this, it's awesome !
I've tried all their albums and I fell in love. I don't know if they're known, but they need to.

Shape of Despair are good, but not among my favourites. My favourites would probably be Funeral (first album and their demos), Fallen, Thergothon, Evoken, Nortt, Elysian Blaze and Skepticism.

Funeral and Fallen are of the more tragic and sad kind, Thegothon, Skepticism and Evoken are of the more dark, moss-ridden Lovecraftian kind and Nortt and Elysian Blaze are of the black and depressive kind.Love them all, and they'e all quite different from eachother. So if you don't like this you should still try that, if slow music are your type of course. But funeral doom are one of the genres I really understand that people can't get into. Funeral doom and drone.

Amazing album. Brilliant atmosphere, and those vocals, man. Those damn vocals. Mmmh!

Wow ! Dude, I stayed speechless ahead a such masterpiece. Really awesome, amazing. What an atmosphere ! And yeah, those vocals...
Thanks alot for these suggestions. I think I'll try 'em all, but I'll begin with Fallen. 

It's cool that you seemed to enjoy it. Come back with your thoughts on the bands and albums later one.

I'm listening to Gloryhammer now. Ultacheesy, overproduced symphonic power metal in the vein of Rhapsody. No idea why I keep listening to it, but it's kinda enjoyable in a weird, sadistic way.

The new Teitanblood sounds magnificent after a couple of spins. It sounds like they've managed to top their debut album, Seven Chalices, and that one's a masterpiece.

People don't seem to care much about this band here, but I'll post it here anyway. There's a new Agalloch track online and it sounds amazing. To me it sounds like a mix between Pale Folklore and The Mantle.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16772-agalloch-celestial-effigy/

http://www.stereogum.com/1670102/agalloch-celestial-effigy/mp3s/

I'm a bit "disappointed", though. I was hoping they would continue where Faustian Echoes ended.

People don't seem to care much about this band here, but I'll post it here anyway. There's a new Agalloch track online and it sounds amazing. To me it sounds like a mix between Pale Folklore and The Mantle.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16772-agalloch-celestial-effigy/

http://www.stereogum.com/1670102/agalloch-celestial-effigy/mp3s/

I'm a bit "disappointed", though. I was hoping they would continue where Faustian Echoes ended.

Whoa, had no idea Agalloch had a new album coming out.  Woohoo!