The general Metal discussion thread

So, I thought it would be nice to have a thread to just talk about Metal from all around the world. All kinds of Metal as long as it is actually Metal. Talk about your favourite bands, new releases, old releases, upcomming stuff and everything that has to do with Metal.

I'll start with some news. I know a lot of people on this bord enjoys a lot of what Neige has done and been involved in, myself included. So here's some news regarding Neige and Drudkh.

"Season of Mist is proud to announce the signing of OLD SILVER KEY, a brand new band born from the hyperactive mind of DRUDKH mainman Roman Saenko and consisting of four DRUDKH members plus French artist Neige (ALCEST, AMESOEURS) on vocals. The aim of this new project is to create nostalgic, romantic and light atmosphere of solitude, beholding, childhood and warmth. The first album is already in recording process.

OldSilverKey.jpg

At the same time, the next DRUDKH album is to be recorded this spring / summer. This ninth full-length will mark a return to the band's roots - long songs full of dark emotions and atmosphere of seasons change, close to the Ukrainians’ early albums."

I am really excited for Old Silver Key. Can't wait to hear some samples! Love the logo as well.

As for Drudkh, excited aboutt hat as well.Both Microcosmos and Handful of Stars were good, but none of them were half as good as any of the four first. So a return to their roots would be appreciated, without me expecting too much of it. But ti sounds nice!

I haven't ever listened to Drudkh (something tells me I should?) but a new project with Neige? WANT. I haven't found a project of his that I don't like yet. If I end up loving this band (much like I should) I think I'll give Drudkh's 9th LP a spin when it gets released as well.

Also, does anyone know what's going on with Lantlo's BABEL Agape (where the hell did I get Babel from)? I'm interested in picking that up as well and I know they reissued the s/t but I haven't heard anything on the new LP.

a new project with Neige? WANT. I haven't found a project of his that I don't like yet.

This.

And the description sounds especially interesting, right up my alley.

It's a new project with Neige, yes. But he will most likely do nothing but sing/scream. Roman Saenko will write all the song, and most likely all the lyrics. And Drudkh is something to check out. They've had a rather poor period for some time now, but the four first albums are legendary good. THey're quite different from each other, but all have this special Drudkh-feeling to it. After that it went downhill pretty fast.

Also, the upcomming Lantlos album, Agape, should be close to a release now. It's a long time since it was recorded, mixed and mastered. So I'm surprised it isn't released yet.

As far as Neige goes, he also joined the legends in Forgotten Woods back in 07, after the release of their comeback album Race of Cain, which was their first release in 11 years (which sucked, btw). Haven't seen or heard any news about Forgotten Woods in a while though. Sucks, could if they would be able to return to form and with Neige on vocals it would have been quite interesting.

I'm exited as fuck for this. Though only shadow of a doubt, is Drudkh's recent weak material that hardly captures my attention. Autumn Aurora and Blood In our Well's are flawless, and the so called """"""""poor""""""" production makes them better. With clear sounds, those albums would not be as epic as they are now. In Neige we trust though! And i hope we'll get to hear his amazing screams :banjo:

But yeah if Drudkh is now making their next album, i honestly couldn't care less. All my hope is reserved for this project.

oh yeah and happy april fools... I saw " DISSECTION RETURNING WITH A NEW SINGER " news and i almost soiled myself.

Even though I'm sure you're trying to be funny 'cuz trolling is so cool and all that, I gotta agree though. The three (four if you count the one they don't count themself) first albums, when they were still an Extreme Metal band is damn good.

Also, previews from the re-recording of Le Secret: http://www.amazon.com/Le-Secret/dp/B004 ... 575&sr=1-6

Can't tell much from those short sample though.

Krypts new EP leaked today, and is it amazing? Oh my God, YES! I've had faith in these guys ever since the amazing "Open the Crypt" demo that came in 2009, a demo which I have been listening to alot. Young people doing old music. Their lead-guitar is also damn good. No, it's not just good, it's fucking EPIC! This is as dark as music gets, it's beyond heavy and it's rippin'!

There's not doubt anymore; Krypts, Swallowed and Morbus Chron are the Death Metal elite as of 2011. There's simpely no Death Metal band that can match these guys. Lookign forward to hearing more from these guys, and I will keep on playing their demos and EPs a lot in the comming time as well, just like I have done since I heard about these guys some time ago. Great stuff!

If Krypts EP is that good I might have to give it a spin.

I don't know how huge you are on Death Metal, but if you like bands such as Autopsy and diSEMBOWELMENT there should be no reason at all to check out both the demo and new EP from Krypts.

And if you like Death Metal in general I would like to recommend these new and young Death Metal releases to you:

Swallowed - Putrefaction

Even the songwriting is top notch with Wisdoms of Putrefying having some excellent energy and riffing to it that rivals even the best of the Nihilist songs. If you can find this I highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed.
90/100

My own score: 9,5/10

Swallowed - Epitaph of Nauseation

These guys are very inspired by Autopsy, which I personally never liked,(...)ost of the time the music is played in slow to mid temp, with very heavy sounding guitar riffs, pretty basic drums and bass and a very desperate and ugly (in the good way, hehe) sounding growls.(...)Those who like Autopsy will surely like it much more, and even Chris from Autopsy gave it a very positive feedback.
80/10 (from a guy who doesn't like this kind of Death Metal very much, not bad at all)

Swallowed - Swallowed

The comparison to Australian death metal returns to me as I listen to this recording, bands like Ignivomous and Cemetery Urn being the best comparisons for the filthy production and hideously violent outbursts of breakneck death metal, while the country's roots in grim, slow-moving death and the recent convergence of the style with Autopsy-worship death/ doom supplies the band's backbone.

71/100

My own score: 10/10

Krypts - Open the Crypt

I give this a 100 because I can't think of any better way to present a band. This is a bold fucking statement, and I see Krypts becoming a household name in a couple years. The music is fresh and unique, the production is perfect, the performance is flawless, and the execution of all three is just stellar. There really is no way to improve upon this: it is the perfect death metal demo.
100/100

Krypts - Krypts

(No reviews for this yet as it is rather new, so I'll write some words myself) This new EP follows the in the pattern of their demo, Open the Crypt. We're still talking about rather Doomy Death Metal with a unique lead throughout most of the songs and with a really clever production that doesn't give everything away at the first few listens. As the demo, it sounds fresh and unique, and it is absolutely stunning! WHat a piece of work. Excellent!

Morbus Chron - Splendour of Disease

These guys are super, they play a form of death metal which sees the combination of the classic Swedish chainsaw style along with a big chunk of Autopsy's doomy-groovy approach. Think of maybe, Death Breath with a little more doom involved and production that's raw like sushi.
no score

Morbus Chron - Creepy Creeping Creeps

It’s absolutely killer, and if you’re looking for that little extra when it comes to the resurgence of old school death metal I can highly recommend Morbus Chron. This young bunch has succeeded where so many others have failed. If it just wasn’t so bloody short!
90/10

Obliteration - Nekropsalms

Well, Obliteration SUCCEEDED in what we in darkthrone tried to do on our two first albums - they have here delivered a brand new old organic sounding death metal masterpiece, but it isn't only death, as these fantastic musicians like ALL the right bands from when they were born and BEYOND, from the 60s 'till 90's crust and 80s thrash and even a touch of sludge (remember DREAM DEATH?) and black - I present you the norwegian album of the year - easily. People are going nuts all over the underground scene to NEKROPSALMS!!
10/10 (Written by Fenriz of Darkthrone)

My own score: 9/10

Bastard Priest - Merciless Insane Death

The evilness and passion behind this music is what made me give it 10, anything less than 10 would be a crime! This is absolutely essential if your looking for some pure new morbid death metal. Hunt this crushing gem down and nab it before it gets sold out! If you don't wanna die a Merciless Insane Death, then leave the hall you wimp!
100/100

Bastard Priest - Under the Hammer of Destruction

This band is far from delivering fresh air to the already saturated Death Metal scene from Sweden, but that’s what Death Metal is all about, no need to change, no need to evolve, just play it loud, fast and heavy as possible, talk about general topics such as death, zombies, horror and gore, and I’ll a records like that anytime.
100/100

My own score: 9/10

Death Metal as its best, even though all those releases are from the last few years. Not sure about Bastard Priest, but they look a little older. But all the other basnds are made up by young, young people.

I'm approving everything listed above, except for one which i have not listened yet o_o

But i'm correcting that fault soon enough.

But for the sake of this thread,

Phy-xHJOEa0&

Holding that tape now as we speak.

New Alcest song from when they played in Moscow:

N_nU6D1BZws

I love it!

Awesome thread. I'm not into metal enough to contribute much right now, but I'm gonna check out some of the names you all have been dropping. I need to step up my metal game haha ;]

Cheesy, you should put together a mix/sampler. I'd definitely be interested in hearing one from you! (I'm sure others would be too) ;D

I can do that. No problem at all.

Are you guys thinking about any special genres or should I just pick whatever I love from all of metal's subgenres (that I like)?

I would be up for either, but I'd prefer a broad sweep from all of metal's subgenres. That way there's bound to be something for everyone on it.

Okei, I'll try my best to have it up before the week ends next weekend. And I'll have to warn you, it'll probably be one huge/long mix tape due to a lot of the songs in some of the genres are long and crap, as well as the fact that there's so many styles beneath everything. When taking just Black Metal you have at least 5 different subgenres of that again and all that. But I'll manage to give some of you some new bands...I hope.

^ just don't make it intimidatingly long, haha ;]

Will I get bashed for mentioning Madder Mortem? I know they're not "kvlt" or anything and I know they're pretty accessible, but I really dig their sound - especially their latest album, "Eight Ways". To quote a shout I left Champ on last.fm:

ha, the more I listen to Madder Mortem, the more I like them! Not only do they have a great vocalist and a competent band, but I like the fact that they don't play your average, straightforward metal. They're not really avant-garde, but there's some noticeable experimentation. They're definitely focused, but there's also a lighthearted/fun air about them. Lastly, their music really does manage to evoke a world of it's own.

It won't pass 5 hours, if that's what you're thinking about. ;)

And Madder Mortem are goodly. Especially Mercury and All Flesh is Grass are really good.

It won't pass 5 hours, if that's what you're thinking about. ;)

And Madder Mortem are goodly. Especially Mercury and All Flesh is Grass are really good.

LMAO, judging from the list you posted in that "loooong songs" thread, I've no doubt that you could pull that off with ease, haha ;]

and good to know that my taste in metal isn't completely asinine lol..

Looking forward to the mix!

Haha! True, I wouldn't have any problems filling up 5 hours of music, even with just 7-8 songs.

Anyway, I was thinking about only fixing two parts where both was around 1 hours. But after starting I found out that each genre and subgenre needed two songs and stuff, so there will be at least 3 parts, maybe even four due to the lenght of a lot of songs that will come. However, I won't post part two before next week, part three the week after and then if there's needed, a part four the week after. It'll be a lot, but that's what happens when there's so much stuff I want to cover.

Part one is ready and it consists of 16 songs and is around 67 minutes long, and 107mb big. So there will be enough music at least. Sorry for the lenght and size, but that's the way it gonna be. You guys asked for it. :P

Tracklist:

Heavy Metal:

01 Magnesium - Time Tells No Lies

02 Oz - Turn the Cross Upside Down

Epic/True Heavy Metal:

03 Manilla Road - Necropolis

04 Doomsword - Death of Ferdia

Power Metal:

05 Sanctuary - The Third War

06 Falconer - Upon the Grave of Guilt

Speed Metal:

07 Iron Angel -The Metallian

08 Running Wild - Marooned

Thrash metal:

09 Sabbat (UK) - The Clerical Conspiracy

10 Kreator - Rippin' Corpse

Black/Thrash Metal

11 Sabbat (Jpn) - Kiss of Lileth

12 Aura Noir - Upon the Dark Throne

Death/Thrash Metal

13 Sadus - Kill Team

14 Merciless - Pure Hate

Crossover Thrash:

15 Municipal Waste - Unleash the Bastards

16 Cryptic Slaughter - Lowlife

Part 1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5901fv49c64nvgb/Part%201.rar

Edit: I would also like to see what you guys think of the songs, what you'll check out more of and so on.