Sign in to follow this  
gyakutai

Most undervalued bands

Which visual rock bands are the most undervalued for you?

For me (in order of being more undervalued):

Wizard (TOTALLY)

Ancestral

CROWS

Tokami

nil delete heads

Reivie?

KYOKUTOU GIRL FRIEND

Railtracer

Halsion

Pan-d-ra

D'ERLANGER, even though they're not all that visual kei anymore. But they were once.

They're so awesome. I can't believe they've been overlooked so much.

well, they've been disbanded now, but idiot should have been more popular.

Since they brings brought us some good lulz.

And, The Candy Spooky Theater too...

but it might be hard for them, since their music are segmented.

another one i wish could be more popular are Aural Vampire.

Not all of these are visual kei, but it's in the Japanese rock section, so...

??? (Mutyumu)

?? (Rikugo)

??? (Mamono)

emmurée

????? (Shinichirou Morimoto)

???? (munimuni)

Lillies and Remains

???? (gonin-ish)

CROSS HARD

???? (Momonofu)

?? (Suilen)

???? (Kalimero)

??? (hacchi)

???? (Hitotsume)

THE.GOLDEN SPIDER

otoiro

merry go round

smells

Agreed with D'ERLANGER

And most recently Antikaruna :DUUR:

That's all I got so far.

^agreeing on munimuni, hacchi and THE.GOLDEN SPIDER. Want to listen to emmurée, kalimero, mamono, smeels, merry go round and hitotsume, will do it soon

Kiryu

I don't think that, it seems to me they have a really huge fanbase also in Europe/America. But too many people care about how they look and not about their music :/

That's essentially the case with most visual kei bands, though.

Another one: ???????(Tokyo Michael). It's unbelievable that they're still together, actually. They take their time with releases, but have been consistently active.

D'erlanger. Criminally underrated.

Pierrot needs to achieve a legend status, and LM.C needs to disband.

Madeth Gray'll

Now i could put all the KYOKUTOU GIRL FRIENDs and Munimunis here but there is a reason why i wont

1. I almost for some weird reason thought of listing KYOKUTOU GIRL FRIEND and R-shitei here, but they are steadily getting more and more popular so they are not exactly underrated. It took more than a couple of years to build Rome after all. Well R-shitei is not that great, but they have some redeeming quality in them that i just can't explain :3

2. Bands like Munimuni and Guruguru Eigakan will never ever gain attention that they might deserve because their " Target audience " is so small. The average guy might get R-shitei in someway as it is more approachable, but sure as hell won't get the weird acoustic Guruguru tracks. The coreaudience will appreciate them to no end, but it's just impossible for them to get mainstreamish attention. But a band like D'erlanger could make a breakthrough the same way X and Luna sea did, but some reason just never did.

I did not take the actual quality of the music into the equation, as then every single band ever is in some way under, or overrated.

The thing about bands in the same vein as munimuni is that they play a style of music that is accessible if not popular outside of Japan as well, particularly in Britain. So theoretically it's not an impossibility for them to gain a larger fanbase with the proper exposure, they just don't aim for it. Some of them probably don't even want it; they're content with their dedicated followers. But I'd say they're criminally underrated compared to some of the horrendously bad bands that are popular, imo.

That's why I feel they're under valued. I listed either bands that should have been more popular than they were before disbanding, or those I personally believe deserve more appreciation among and outside of the people that listen to Japanese music. Unless I missed the point of the thread... :-/

On an unrelated note, is that Ihsahn in your signature?

Golden Bomber, Kiryu, Tokami. But especially, Golden Bomber :o !
No, Golden Bomber not anymore I think..

they used to be though, but I believe they´re really becoming more popular lately c:

And yes, Tokyo Michael.

I totally forgot about them, I actually thought they disbanded already > <;

The thing about bands in the same vein as munimuni is that they play a style of music that is accessible if not popular outside of Japan as well, particularly in Britain.
Actually, you are right and i agree with you. It's just rare for a Japanese band to make it in west ( and a Visual-keyish band for no less. ), so i neclegted the whole possibility and doodled some other crap.

And yes it's Ihsahn :)

??????? (Tokyo Heroes) - These guys used to be more inacessible, but their recent releases have been more mainstream - but still typical Tokyo Heroes.

??????? (Gekijou Tabi Gakudan Kissyou) - Not Vkei but one of the best indie bands out there. If they even classify as indie. More like The Back Horn meets Mucc and a little indie.

otoiro - One of the best Japanese bands out there, even though they only released two singles. Their compositions are magic and the vocals are great.

I'll just be stupid and say - any indie band that can't afford to record [or are AWFUL recording] and/or release anything in store <.<... that probably applies to most of the bands that I don't know, hah.

Most bands mentioned above, and a few others like Miss Jelly Fish, M, etc.

…??Silence?

?JOJO??

Anachro Clock

Death March Kantai (LOL)

gossip

G.O.Z VII

hachi-Biene-

JILS

Jinkaku Radio

Kurara Zeroshiki

makaroni

MANNEQUIN

Silver~Rose

VISAGE

Agreeing on munimuni, Hacchi, THE.GOLDEN SPIDER, emmurée, Kalimero, Mamono, Merry Go Round, Hitotsume, Gekijou Tabi Gakudan Kissyou, TOKYO HEROES, otoiro and M.

Color most definately; everyone obsesses over every single Free Will and "owld veekay" band except for them. :( Also probably Tokyo Yankees.

Kiryu

I don't think that, it seems to me they have a really huge fanbase also in Europe/America. But too many people care about how they look and not about their music :/

Not at all, almost no one knows them in America, also there aren't many European fans. I mean just look at their last.fm and even when something by them is uploaded here. :/

I also forgot to mention Gadeath Symphonia.

^ Secilia Luna, definitely. I also agree with Kiryu.

???? (MISARUKA)

Vallquar-??????-

E'm?grief? I really haven't met a lot of E'm fans, I think they're amazing!

Ridiot

Halsion

C"LOW"N

jubily

My new personal favorites for recent bands. All of them are great, not over the top or anything, but definitely are overlooked most of the time.

101A - though it seems more people know of them now than I when I got into them.

Hilcrhyme - ok, not rock, but still, hardly anyone on this side knows about them

Lastier - broken up since forever, but I swear I've only met two people that like them, and *I* introduced them. :|

??? - no one appreciated them enough

Binecks - awesome, release steadily, why don't they have more fans?

That's all I can think of atm

Sign in to follow this