That is my favorite band, I know them since 2 years.

If anyone want trade with me X-Japan rare stuff ( I've got a lot of rare audio and video )

At their press conference in Tokyo they reportedly said the following:

- Album is 90% finished now, aim is to release it sometime this Fall

- Jade is going to be the first single of the album

- Sugizo composed one song for the album, which might be played for the first time at the NISSAN live

- There are plans for a North America tour including Canada

augh.

I still have no idea what to think.

born to be free is AWFUL.

also, was it ever confirmed that this would feature 'english' versions of their popular songs :/?

and of course, we have to start taking bets to how many shows until yoshiki needs to take another break! [half kidding >_<]

Personally I really like Born to be Free.

I have a different mind set towards X Japan as I used to, simply because time has gone on, and they will never be what they used to be. Toshi has a different way of singing than he used to, and you can see those similarities between their new single of Jade, and Toshi with T EARTH, his voice is very similar.

So for me they are a band of 2 time periods, for lack of better words, I'd call 1 time period the Art of Life (just simply because it's such an amazing song, and my favourite), and the other time period as Modern, simply for lack of better word.

Born to be Free fits the same music as Jade, hence why I feel they are sounding considerably different to what they used to.

From this musical change, I am interested to hear what Art of Life will be like now, since it's 1 of the songs which will be featured in their new album along with other songs like Kurenai and English versions of Tears and Rusty Nail.

I must admit I am still skeptical, and wondering if they will last more than 2 years due to their health problems. I sometimes wonder if maybe they should have just left X Japan as they were in their prime. I guess the new Album and future releases (if there are any) will tell us this.

augh.

I still have no idea what to think.

born to be free is AWFUL.

also, was it ever confirmed that this would feature 'english' versions of their popular songs :/?

and of course, we have to start taking bets to how many shows until yoshiki needs to take another break! [half kidding >_<]

I think it was but I can't find the source right now.

After some more listens I don't really like Born to be Free either. It's way below their standards. I.V and Jade were also below their standards, but not as much. Just a different direction which is ok. But Born to be Free does not excite me at all anymore.

According to this source:

http://www.japan-zone.com/news/2010/07/27/america_gets_ready_for_x_day.shtml

TAIJI WILL PERFORM WITH X JAPAN AGAIN?!

In related news that is hugely meaningful to die-hard fans of the band, it was revealed yesterday that the two shows at Yokohama Nissan Stadium on August 14/15 may well have a very special guest. Bassist and original member Taiji is said to be enthusiastic about the idea of performing on stage with his old friends for the first time in 18 years. He posted on his blog about meeting them for drinks recently and sharing stories about the old days, back when the band was known simply as X. The news of a possible reunion will make a quick sellout of the 150,000 tickets all the more likely. Tickets go on sale July 31.

It does not mention where it was revealed though. I so wish this is true. It would be a dream to see him perform with X again.

Guest o hai itz will

I am very skeptical regarding X Japan's comeback. They think they can start releasing material again and expect a huge fanbase in America to be waiting for them. No, that's not how it works.

it was mentioned in that tabloid magazine Sanspo.

honestly, for the longest time I've wanted him to REPLACE sugizo as the guitarist. I don't think that will happen, but I can dream, can't I? ... plus voiceless screaming, anyone?

edit* I meant I wanted him to be the guitarist in place of hide, but since SUGIZO replaced him, obviously I want him to be replaced.

Guest o hai itz will

If anything, I feel like Toshi is the weakest link in the band currently. Sugizo brings a different idea to the band, and a whole new idea to work off of. Toshi can not sing, his voice is strained and lacks any power. If they are going to make it big, they need to get rid of him.

Guest o hai itz will

And besides: Sugizo is a far better guitarist than Hide ever was, and, one of the best guitarists in Japan. So having him on hand is quite a blessing.

I am very skeptical regarding X Japan's comeback. They think they can start releasing material again and expect a huge fanbase in America to be waiting for them. No, that's not how it works.
Yoshiki will find a way, I'm sure. He probably could do enough through sheer big promoting and marketing to accomplish what he wants. I wouldn't be quick to underestimate what he can do.

Guest o hai itz will

I definitely agree that if anyone can do it, it's Yoshiki, but there has been no marketing. If Lollapalooza is his idea of marketing, they have to do better than that. I am calling for a full-scale marketing campaign. TV spots, magazine articles, etc. That would be the best. I am looking forward to seeing them, but I really hope things go well for them.

so what if hide wasn't the greatest? [pata always did the difficult notes, either way] it was his image and I don't know how even sugizo can match that. at least taiji had a place in X, and he was even hide's teacher, he's more than qualified... but whether he can put up with yoshiki, again... that's another story, and I doubt it'll be more than a two night stand.

either way, sugizo should stick to LUNA SEA's revival, where he belongs. that's where I like him, not part of yoshiki's downward spiral.

Hm, Lollapalooza might just be the beginning and maybe the rest will follow afterwards? We'll see.

I'm no fan of Yoshiki or X Japan, but I am interested to see how this idea turns out and how they will be accepted by America. If they continue to promote themselves as a great metal band that just happens to be from Japan, I can see them gaining some serious followers in the long run.

Onto the topic of Taiji: If this happens to be more than just a rumor that Taiji will join X or be a guest with them sometime, I'd much rather see him replace Heath more than Sugizo. Heath, in my eyes, doesn't really add anything to the band and I've never seen him as someone with all that much talent at bass.

Getting rid of Toshi would be like throwing X Japan in the recycle bin. No Toshi = No X. Toshi just needs vocal training. His voice is a jewel, but a fragile one. I think that's how you can best describe it.

Besides, in a recent interview Yoshiki said Toshi's voice is now better than before. And that we can expect it to be better at their next concerts. I'm confident.

Also, SUGIZO is amazing. They couldn't have found a better guitarist. He fits in perfectly, yet brings in a fresh feeling. That's just excellent.

Guest o hai itz will

No. Yoshiki = X Japan. Yoshiki pretty much writes all of the music. It's like this:

Jimmy Page = Led Zeppelin

Billy Corgan = The Smashing Pumpkins

Kurt Cobain = Nirvana

they were the sole creators of the music and made it what it is today. Without any of those members, their respective bands no longer exists. Toshi being knocked out of the equation means little. And Yoshiki saying Toshi is getting better is just publicity. I'll believe it when I hear it, and I tend to be very optimistic.

On that note: I wish the best for the band, because their touring in the US WILL bring floods of J-Rock and VK bands here to the states if they are successful. They tried to promote themselves here in the past, but the whole 80's hair metal phase died. Now that they've toned themselves down, I can see them getting a new following. Don't forget: they did already have a fanbase back in the 80's in the US (probably 1/3 the size of Dir en grey's current fanbase in the states), but it was still prominent. If they can market themselves well, I know they'll finally make it big. But my problem is that they're expecting to come here and get the Beatles treatment. There's only one band who's been able to go to a country and sell out stadiums without touring there before, and thats the Beatles. X Japan are nowhere near as revolutionary or as good as the Beatles, so we will see.

I don't know about that, I think Toshi is almost as an important component as Yoshiki. He's like the band's co-founder. I agree that X Japan is hard to picture going on without him . . . even though I do see what you mean when you say his voice has significantly declined.

But if Toshi were not the singer, who do you think would be a good replacement?

Guest o hai itz will

Well Yoshiki does write practically 98% of the lyrics, and it's always been a strong feeling of mine that if a vocalist doesn't form his own lyrics, then what is he? Singing someone elses words and emotion? It comes down to personal preference that if a vocalist is going to sing, he should write his own material due to the fact that music is art, and art is expression of the soul. Toshi could be expressing himself all he wants (though his voice now sounds hollow), but those words that he sings will never be his, they will forever be Yoshiki's. So its' as if he serves no purpose.

I really don't know any vocalist that could fill in, because it would just be the same: Yoshiki writing material for the vocalist to sing. So putting even some of the greatest vocalists of all time would do little to treat the situation. It's exactly like Tatsurou of MUCC, he doesn't write his own lyrics. So it's nearly impossible to say who would be a fitting change. Any vocalist is better than Toshi, but finding someone to keep that "X Japan sound" is nearly impossible. Which is kind of depressing.

Heh, I'm sure if Yoshiki weren't such a control freak, the band members would actually get a chance to contribute something of their own on the occasion -but that's why they invented solo projects ^^. I think you are right when you say it would be difficult to find someone to keep the "X Japan sound." Toshi has just been in the band so long, his voice has become one of the major defining qualities of them. I think if X Japan alternated vocalists periodically like many other metal bands do, I'd see it differently.

Still I don't think a singer is useless if they don't write their own lyrics. They certainly fulfill an important purpose, or else why doesn't the lyricist just sing? In my opinion, conveying someone else's emotion through your voice and being able to perform it on stage is art in itself.

Guest o hai itz will

Yeah, Yoshiki is pretty controlling haha. And you do present a good point that even doing what Toshi does can still be considered art. I'd probably attribute that for being performance art or something like that.