Sign in to follow this  
Tokage

bands with multiple of unusual instruments

Well, yeah. I was wondering. Can y'all please list bands that have, for example, multiple bassists, drummers, keyboardists, anything other than guitarists or vocalists? Would really like to see more.. I know about About Tess and iirc Mouse on the Keys so far...

miscorner/c+llooqtortion has 2 drummers

AKUFWfvZiQ8

??イスイノナサ (haisuinonasa) has 2 keyboardists

and Sajjanu has 2 drummers...

Boredoms has two drummers. But they have also done something spectacular that I read of in a magazine a few days ago:

"On July 7, 2007, Boredoms performed a concert entitled 77 Boadrum in Brooklyn Bridge Park, New York City, with drummer Muneomi Senju replacing Nishimura. The "77" denoted not only the date (7/7/2007) but also the number of drummers in the ensemble."

"A third concert, Boadrum 9, took place on September 9, 2009 at Terminal 5 in New York City. It featured 9 drummers in total, two from Boredoms (Yoshimi and Yojiro) and seven others from prominent experimental music acts, namely Zach Hill (Hella), Hisham Bharoocha (Soft Circle, ex: Black Dice, Lightning Bolt), Butchy Fuego (Pit er Pat), Kid Millions (Oneida), Jeremy Hyman (Ponytail), Dave Nuss (No-Neck Blues Band) and Aaron Moore (Volcano The Bear)"

I'd love to experience something like that, especially the one with 77 drummers. Boredoms is simple genius'!

koenji hyakkei has... an operatic chorus...

and yoshida on drums.

and zheul.

not specific instruments, but unusual enough.

also quite noteworthy is Ruins, which is bass+drums only

Da'vid/shito:aL & pleur had double bassists :)

I'm curious to know more bands like this . . .

I only know American bands like Idiot Flesh had a bunch of weird instruments, but I think mostly it is conventional instruments used in weird ways.

I think Gakido would fit, since they have 3 vocalists :/ But those are not instruments, so yeah...

The band 'about tess' has two drummers, two guitarists, and two bassist. And also, Merzbow has a very unusual, guitar-like instrument, which he uses during live performances - it's made of pieces of metal.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum use a plethora of uncommon instruments in their music (trombones, lutes, glockenspiels, the bulbul, off-key violins) and typically they're homemade, such as their spring-nail guitar, trash can lids, viking row boat, and a contraption made of piano strings that gets beaten with two sticks and "slapped" at the same time, like a bass guitar.

Tin Hat Trio are cool too. Inextremo use historical instruments like bagpipes, harp, hurdy-gurdy and shawm. Didn't Agalloch use a deer skull once? (Not specifically or for every song, obviously, but I remember it being in a couple).

Since this is in the Japanese rock section, though, which I just noticed... Vampillia have three vocalists, two guitarists/violinists, a bassist, violist, pianist, drummer and a DJ. And although they're not a band that is known for unusual instruments, per se, but Tsukasa from D'espairsRay plays traditional Japanese drums, as well as the sax and bongos. Then there's 五人一首. Boredoms? I see someone already mentioned them.

I guess Sigh can be mentioned here as well. Some of this stuff is quite unusual in Metal as far as I know:

On Scenes From Hell Mirai does: Vocals, orchestrations, piano, organ, theremin, whistle, sitar, tabla, tampura

Dr. Mikannibal does: Vocals, saxophone

Gallows Gallery: Mirai Kawashima - Vocals, All Keyboards & Organs, Sampling, Sitar, Tabla,

Glockenspiel, Gong, Taisho-Koto, Tibetan Bell

Imaginary Sonicscape: Mirai - Fender Rhodes, Hammond, minimoog, Yamaha acoustic piano, Hohner clavinet, Yamaha string machine, Roland vocoder, other keyboards, sampling, programming, modulator, effects, Speak & Spell, recorder, melodeon, bass, vocals

Satoshi - drums, tambourine, triangle, bongo, hand claps, suspended cymbal, bar chimes, vibraslap

Nothing that is used on every album since they just use it whenever things fits, but a lot of that stuff you won't find on your regular Metal album. I find it impressive how they manage to include so many instruments without messing thing up.

Didn't Agalloch use a deer skull once? (Not specifically or for every song, obviously, but I remember it being in a couple).

Not sure about that, but I know that Marduk used a skull once, on Plague Angel. Had too google it: "Also vocals are sung through a human skull and echoes of death are heard through the songs on the album."

SOme would call it silly and retarded, I find it quite interesting event hough the album is boring.

oh yeah, i forgot about Full and his band of homemade dolls lol

Brand Φ had 3 guitars , 3 bass

(vocals is yuhma now in luzmelt

+ one of the bassist was haren)

well just for fun information because i don't think is much help in sound

and they have only 2 songs that i like very much

i always wanted to tell WTF 3 bassists?! to someone because i'm the only one who listens to them i think xD

also kibouya honpo had 2 vocalists

and Mix Speaker's,Inc. 2 vocalists

THE SKULL FUCK REVOLVERS --> mandolin (what?)

that's what i know from jrock/visual kei bands and disbanded lol

Kagrra used one of those twangy Japanese instruments right?

Koto, you mean?

Kawabata Makoto, and I think the whole Acid Mothers Temple collective uses a fair amount of unusual instruments - for example, during his solo performance, Kawabata used a headless guitar, tibetan singing bowls and bells, and such. Akaten also uses a wide variety of instruments, ranging from empty glasses to their own cipzars (the part of their concert, when they were just jumping around, using only their cipzars to make noises was hilarious. xD)

Also, I think we should add most of the nintendocore/chiptune/call it as you wish artists here - for example DJ Scotch Egg, who uses his Gameboys in order to create melodies, or the hungarian failotron, Sabrepulse, Nullsleep, and so on.

Daedelus's instrument, the Monome.

So, for Miasma:

Failotron

One of Hungary's leading artist, as far as 8bit/chiptune is concerned, and he's also one of the organisers of Hungary's biggest 8bit/chiptune event, called 'Budapest Micro'. And sometimes he uses his guitar during his live performances, and also at his other project, 'Kanagawa'.

Sabrepulse

Well, he is not so, let's say, experimental, as failotron is, but still awesome! \o/ Every song is based on some 8bit beep harmonies, and it is usually mixed with some other styles, like happy hardcore (

) or strings and breakcore (
), and so on. I believe nearly all of his stuff is free to download, I would advise you to start with Verão (
is my favourite from him!).

Nullsleep

His music was the point, where I admitted, that chiptune/nintendocore music can transmit emotions too. Beautiful songs, but still, he is a real party animal, I had the luck to catch one of his gigs, and it was sick, one of my greatest parties! I think most of his stuff is free to download, Nintendo Game Boy is his favourite release, start with -maybe- Supernova Kiss.

Oh, and if we talk about 8bit/chiptune, I have to link this too, since it is one of the coolest videos ever made.

Using Gameboys seem to be very original and all that, and an interesting consept. But I once again just have to say that nintendocore stil isn't a genre. It's not more of a genre than "bananasplitcore" or "hard death-black power, oh can we walk to school together-core".

I've also seen some all girl Japanese band that made use of a lot of other traditional Japanese instruments.

You mean Rin'? I heard from my friend that they play traditional instruments.

Da'vid/shito:aL & pleur had double bassists :)

But Noble (Lupee) was a performer too.

I mean two vocalist of Gakido (because Shutaro is a guitarist).

Sign in to follow this