allisapp

Pets and animals

5 minutes ago, Lestat said:

Females are quite territorial though, especially in small pens or enclosures, so a male might be a better choice for your first rabbit. Before our boys came we had two females who were especially nasty and would attack you the second you came close, unfortunately we had to get rid of them because of that. They came from the same family so I am not sure what was different. Our boys ended up in the same pen and were the sweetest things (Wolly's brother passed very early, he was severely handicapped) so that was not particularly the problem.

I see, i haven't looked up any information yet regarding it so i did not know about this.

The territorial might indeed be a problem, but you speak of this when talking about 2 bunny's, i was more or less thinking about 1 of them, would that cause the same issue you think?

Could be i would get 2 bunny's instead. i think i heard a few times these type of animals can get quite lonely if they do not have a playmate.

And i'm sorry to hear about his brother, but i'm glad to read that Wolly is active and healthy :)

4 minutes ago, Jennifer Hage said:

I see, i haven't looked up any information yet regarding it so i did not know about this.

The territorial might indeed be a problem, but you speak of this when talking about 2 bunny's, i was more or less thinking about 1 of them, would that cause the same issue you think?

Could be i would get 2 bunny's instead. i think i heard a few times these type of animals can get quite lonely if they do not have a playmate.

And i'm sorry to hear about his brother, but i'm glad to read that Wolly is active and healthy :)

I wouldn't know, all our rabbits usually had a playmate. The first rabbit we had had a guinea pig for company, and after the guinea pig passed, we got two other guinea pigs to put with him and there was never an issue. He was never alone and very docile, albeit a bit grumpy sometimes but this is quite common (but I guess that might have had something to do with his appearance, haha), and he also got quite old. The one we have now of course had his brother, but after his passing he was never nasty or anything. It was just the females that gave us problems for some reason. 

4 hours ago, Lestat said:

I wouldn't know, all our rabbits usually had a playmate. The first rabbit we had had a guinea pig for company, and after the guinea pig passed, we got two other guinea pigs to put with him and there was never an issue. He was never alone and very docile, albeit a bit grumpy sometimes but this is quite common (but I guess that might have had something to do with his appearance, haha), and he also got quite old. The one we have now of course had his brother, but after his passing he was never nasty or anything. It was just the females that gave us problems for some reason. 

That is good to hear, ill keep everything you said in mind because i'm planning to get one someday :)

If possible, i'll try to get a grumpy looking one myself :P

I myself don't sadly own any pets (mainly because I don't have the time and money, otherwise I'd probably already have bought myself a horse T.T), but my brother has two cute little snakes.

WQY3Er0.png

bNoKlYN.png

They're both royal pythons, the first one's a 4-year-old female and the second one's a 2-year-old male. They're both so adorable!

Edited by chocobuzz

I own a Giant White Knee tarantula who is in her juvenile stage so she's only small still (around 6-8 cm) but when she's an adult she'll be 18-22 cm. She's called Peach because her body is round and fluffy like a peach :) 

I kind of wish tarantulas didn't sort of creep me out because they're so cute. Maybe need to hang out with someone who owns one.

I have a pug who thinks he's a cat, two fluffy cats, and a senior cat who is almost twenty and is completely blind/deaf. The two fluffy cats are hell spawn. One melts like puddy in your arms and is possessed. The other is declawed (not by me, would never declaw a cat) but has so much power in her punches, hates being touched, will bite if you do not give her affection when she demands it. She is glued to my side 24/7. I adopted baby girl as an adult and pretty sure she's been abused before I brought her home from how she acts. But she loves me and we get along well. She doesn't exactly deal well with the other pets but the younger demon cat and her are starting to get along. 

21 hours ago, jiji94 said:

I kind of wish tarantulas didn't sort of creep me out because they're so cute. Maybe need to hang out with someone who owns one.

I will say, it all depends on the temperament of the tarantula. They can be cute, and at the same time they can be utter assholes. 

On 2/23/2011 at 6:09 PM, allisapp said:

Okay, now it's the time for talking about animals, which can be really close to your heart (pets), but some of you can really afraid of them.

Is there animals which you really are afraid of? Or is there something what you love?

Do you have any pets? Want to tell us about it/them?

I have 4 dogs which are really amazing because whenever I got home from work and once I see them, my stress goes out of the window! ;) Everything was peaceful but recently as they grow older they became somewhat aggressive and playful towards things which I know is normal. So  I'm  thinking that I need to train them not only for their safety but also mine.  I'm thinking of using some device that will help me train them. Any suggestion guys?

Edited by khouji

As I searching online for some tips on training a dog, I saw this training collar which they said that is one of the most useful tools used for training. Primarily used to correct bad habits such as barking, digging, and chewing, a Training Collar can transform a misbehave dog into a well obedient dog. What do you think? Are these actually effective or is it just some sort of industry push to sell products? Any suggestion will be helpful to me.

I already wrote about this dude in the random thoughts thread.

Pigeons made a nest on my balcony and now there's a 4 week old baby. He's not noisy and at first he was super ugly but now he's turned really cute and I can't stop peeking over at him.

Yesterday it was raining heavily and I felt very sorry for him :cry: I think I'll be sad when he flies away. Today's sunny so he sits on that little glass pot and sunbathes while falling asleep (eep).

[sorry for shitty pics, I can't get too close or he'll get stressed out]

This was when not long after Pidge was born

Spoiler

33agfi0.jpg

Took these today

Spoiler

2s67p7l.jpg

2up78tu.jpg

Edit: he flew away during the night :'(

Nice cattie, psychodelica :)

I have no pets right now. Had a hamster for five years (jungarian one?) than a cat for three weeks, because of bite, but we did't want to have one, than next hamster, and after three years... Till now no pets. Sadly

On 08/09/2017 at 1:04 AM, khouji said:

As I searching online for some tips on training a dog, I saw this training collar which they said that is one of the most useful tools used for training. Primarily used to correct bad habits such as barking, digging, and chewing, a Training Collar can transform a misbehave dog into a well obedient dog. What do you think? Are these actually effective or is it just some sort of industry push to sell products? Any suggestion will be helpful to me

I personally do not recommend using a training collar. Nor any kind of punishing method with your dogs, as this can turn them even more aggressive, especially towards things they're not yet aggressive towards.

It's really hard to tell what works for you without knowing what kind of problems you have with your dogs. Like for example, one of mine dislikes other dogs, especially puppies. She will bark, growl and eventually bite if they're not smart enough to back off, which puppies rarely are. For this, and other purposes, I've taught her "leave it" command, which essentially works as snapping her mind off of a "fixation" and makes her leave anything alone at command. I suggest teaching that to your dogs. 

A good method of teaching almost anything to a dog is the clicker. Clicker works as positive reinforcement that reacts quicker than your voice to situations. To start off, you need your dog to have positive association with the clicking sound that the device makes. What I did was just sit one of my dogs (or all of them, doesn't really matter at this point) in front of me, click the device and immediately reward my dog. Rinse and repeat. Click -> reward. Click -> reward. Use something REALLY GOOD. Like chicken or freshly cooked meat so they know that this clicking thing is good stuff. Next you start using commands, like for example something your dog already knows, like sit or shake or lie down. Lets say sit. You tell your dog to sit, and immediately when they do, you click and reward, both with treats and voice. 

Why clicker training is so effective is that you can essentially reward your dog for even the smallest of success, whereas your voice or your hand grabbing a treat and handing it over to the dog takes time, which means that by the time you've said "good dog!" or are ready to feed that treat to your dog, the dog might already be doing something else and then associating the reward for something you didn't want. 

If you want your dog to stop barking, I encourage teaching the command "that's enough". Mine know it and usually listen to it. It can be hard to teach and takes a lot of time, but I usually let my dogs bark for a few seconds before telling them to shut up, because barking is still an important way of communicating for them. Letting them bark a bit and then telling them to shut up is like saying "thank you for guarding/informing me of a threat, I'm now aware of it so you can stop". 

How I taught mine to stop barking at command was distract them when they're barking (say enough and then, for example, clap your hands, something to break them from the fixation if a word is not enough) and if they stop, even for a split second, click, praise and reward. You need to do this alone for a while. Once you notice that your dog doesn't really want to bark anymore, but would rather sit by you because you've got all the good stuff, lenghten the time after "enough" that they have to stay quiet for before clicking and rewarding. And gradually you can get this to a point where the "threat" they're observing has gone and so they have no need to bark anymore. Ta-dah! You've got a quiet dog. I do recommend working one on one with this though, because pack mentality can sometimes distract dogs too much and they'll just end up barking because someone else is barking. So one dog at a time until they all know the command.

Hopefully this helps. And please always use positive reinforcement instead of "training collars" or shock collars or hitting or poking your dog. 

I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce my animal family. From left to right, I have a Blue Eyed Leucistic ball python named Mephistopheles, he is one and a half years old. Then I have an Albino Checkered Garter snake who is six years old and his name is Felix. I have a one year old male Double-Tail Betta named Flower. I have a four month old Albino Axolotl named Mochi. I have a four month old Northern Blue Tongue Skink named Kafka. I have a five year old miniature Chihuahua named Vicious, a three year old Chihuahua Dachshund mix named Sykes, and a six month old dilute calico Sphynx cat named Pixel.

xbdze1.jpg

On 1/9/2018 at 8:30 PM, CELESTIAL CIEL said:

siamese/siberian mix breed baby :3 she's 6 months old

ZD2C2OYn-V8.jpg 

l-0Wqt7LSEQ.jpg 

Shes so beautiful!!! :tw_flushed:

So cuteee, your a lucky owner hehe

On 5/14/2016 at 8:17 AM, paradoxal said:

I can't remember if I've introduced my little babby Tesla who just turned 2 years old. omfg i can't believe my little puppy is all grown up now

He's a stubborn little french bulldog and weighs an impressive 17kg :D

He's a handsome and muscular little dude, who spends most of his days chilling on our bed.

245zg35.jpg

Tesla loves car rides too!

2qjio1w.jpg

In his own opinion, he's the baddest dude in the neighborhood, but in reality he's the biggest momma's boy ever...

f59843.jpg14u2vb.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

We even share the same favorite hobby, sleeping :D NAP EVERY DAY

30ho605.jpg2cnxpnl.jpg

So adorable i always wanted one because they are so cuddly and  the ears are so cute and pointy!

This is  Mimi, when i got her she was only a little kitten. She was sooooooooooo cute and then she grew up she became very cheeky :P

But I love her to bits :tw_heart:

m9m7hw.jpg

so6b6h.jpg

Edited by kiixx

I have a budgie named Dany that's about 1.5 years old. She's not really the cuddly type, but I'm not really a touchy-feely person either, so I think we're actually pretty well matched.

d17-18.jpg

^That's her with her baby feathers on the left and a more recent shot of her on the right.

I also have a small fish tank with some platys.

Sadly, I don't own any pets due to time and financial constraints, but my sister has a cute tabby cat. He's a couple of years old now, but he's still quite adorable and quiet. He's also super shy around strangers.

24250926_2038890056387013_35745764_o_zps13672278_1782927695316585_59438118_n_zps