CAT5

Your Musical Pet Peeves...

I hate it in songs when you can hear the same drum over and over throughout the whole song. Someone pointed it out in Royal Order by Lycaon and it practically made the album unlistenable to me. Just that same drum over and over, drives me insane. And fucking Blast beats, that gets really repetitive and annoying also.

Engrish is even worse when the music is amazing. I think that's the only reason I listen to the Revenant Choir by Versailles because that Engrish Kamijo does throughout the whole song makes me want to brickstone him , even though I love him as a vocalist :/

Oh yeah, I fucking hate the shit out of that song because Kamijo sounds so terrible. Not because his singing was bad but because he just sounded stupid. It doesn't even sound like English, it just sounds like he's trying to speak with marbles coming out of his mouth while underwater. Kamijo isn't the only one guilty of this - pretty much every Japanese band I have ever heard ever that tries to sing purely in English sounds like crap, except Galneryus.

*remembers the GazettE's AGONY* :lol:

ive been reading through the thread, and a lot of nitpicks most have i find to be quirks that i find attractive in most artists/bands. and as much as i love electronic-based music, i have one major gripe that i can never stand

eurobeat.

when drums sounds still the same, then it's almost the only thing I can focus :xxx:

piano - the high tones when you think your eardrums are going to tear apart

opera singer - some are acceptable though

engrish - for me as non-native english speaker it's difficult even recognize what language they're singing

autotune, synth - don't ask me why I listen to it

growling/vomiting

translated covers - I hate when artists are trying to all their fans understand them but mostly it lose the "glamour"

listening to song and then next.. noo, it's still the same song but it's like it even doesn't belong to it

I hate when some part of a song is silent and then it's too loud on purpose!

that's all I can think of now.

The only thing I can think of is rap, but only sometimes. I love a few Japanese rappers so I'm not all against it. It's just the mainstream rappers I'm thinking of. The lyrics can be appalling, and the messages behind the songs can be really dumb. That's just imo~

-Nasal vocalists, more-so when it's high pitched so a lot of pop female vocalists are lost on me!

-Bad low "screams". You know those vocalists who can't really do low growls so they just pass off some horrible vocalizations into the microphone and try to pass it off as a scream? Even worse, bad "inhaled" screams. No. Just. No.

Eh, I'm probably the most critical of vocalists. I can't help it. 

-Uncalled for falsettos. See also: How Juka ruined his career.

This is a big one for me. I hear it in Japanese music across the spectrum, and it's especially annoying when vocalists constantly sing outside of their range and just end up sounding strained. In some contexts, It can be fitting, but It definitely grates when it's done so casually and frequently.

Guitar solos that only exist for the sake of having a guitar solo. There's nothing I find more annoying than having 10-30 seconds of a song just awkwardly derailing itself so that the composer could check off the "obligatory guitar solo" section of their songwriting checklist. It's fine when the song calls for it, but the majority of the time it comes across as a force of habit more than anything.

*revives*

Abrupt key-changes in songs. I've noticed a trend in a variety of Japanese music to switch keys when transitioning into the choruses. I think key-changes can work out perfectly fine at times, but more often than not, I've find them to be a bit jarring - especially when it completely changes the mood of the song.

15 hours ago, CAT5 said:

Abrupt key-changes in songs. I've noticed a trend in a variety of Japanese music to switch keys when transitioning into the choruses. I think key-changes can work out perfectly fine at times, but more often than not, I've find them to be a bit jarring - especially when it completely changes the mood of the song.

Yes. This brings to mind the complaint I've heard lately about the happy chorus not fitting the rest of the song.

VK synths
vibrato
glam rock/metal
trancecore or w/e
circus/carnival type of songs
engrish (I can't especially stand shoegaze bands with engrish lyrics)
happy or over-positive music (I have one exception, maybe two)

Edited by indigo

^I love all of those things except for VK synths, to be perfectly honest.

The thing that really irritates me is when singers rhyme a word with itself. I mean, there are definitely times when it works, but I think it sounds so stupid and anticlimactic when the artist is trying to sing a serious/dramatic song.

For example:

God, that song used to drive me crazy every time it came on the radio.

- High pitched, nasal  vocalists.

- When someone who doesn't know how to do good growls/screams decides it's a wonderful idea to do it. A lot.

- Autotune.

- Also not a fan of circus-like songs.

songs that tease you by starting off heavy, growls/screams and all (like waving a fresh, warm cookie in front of ur face)... u think the whole song'll be like that (u think u'll get that cookie)... AND THEN they slap you in the face (with that same cookie) by dropping a really awful-sounding chorus with clean vocals and boring riffs. so like, every visual kei song ever? smfh it's getting really frustrating

20 hours ago, SadMoomin said:

I found one today !! You know that boring, generic jazzy kind of song that 90% of Jrock bands did ? Yeah. 

I'd love an example to know what you're talking about.

As for myself I don't like synthetic vocal filters and synthetic or computer generator instruments and sounds in my music most of the time unless it's really really fitting. That's part of the reason I don't care for a lot of today's visual kei music as opposed to the mid 2000s which is what I started with.

2 minutes ago, SadMoomin said:

This ! ;~; I think it's so overdone :( 

Ah lol I figured that's what you were talking about.

I have to be in a very particular mood to enjoy songs like that honestly lol

That songs reminds me of this.

On 09/01/2017 at 2:27 AM, itsukoii said:

songs that tease you by starting off heavy, growls/screams and all (like waving a fresh, warm cookie in front of ur face)... u think the whole song'll be like that (u think u'll get that cookie)... AND THEN they slap you in the face (with that same cookie) by dropping a really awful-sounding chorus with clean vocals and boring riffs. so like, every visual kei song ever? smfh it's getting really frustrating

This is exactly what I was going to say, minus the cookie thing, but yeah, when they interrupt a heavy song with a lame chrorus. Or songs that are boring from the begining to the end but have those ten seconds of good screaming, and I just love the screaming...

I like engrish, except for Nocturnal Bloodlust's, I like accent not when what they say don't make sense, plus cheesy lyrics , like when they want to talk about some experience that it gets obvious they didn't have so the song sounds kind of dumb to me, or trying to be badass. Hm I think accent depends on the song too actually, sometimes I can't take it seriously but I never had a problem with Kyo's.

This isn't about the song but the PVs, when they feel the need to show each one of the member's faces, like in every Kiryu PV, I always roll my eyes. Or when they keep showing off some scene too much like if it's a big deal, it kind of kills the mood for me. I can't remember the last time I saw a PV I liked.

Too much vibrato and high piched nasal voices too, and singing out of tune, obviously. I hate synth and dubstep on JRock bands most of the times.

- Synths being brutally raped these days; they were much better off in Misa's hands.

- RAPPING. omfg 🔫

- Screaming/growling, because it sounds like every other band and I'm so over it

- Bands that are obviously trying to copy certain legendary bands, aka almost every band these days

- Talking during a song...kind of a turnoff.

- Out of tune, nasal vocalists that sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks

- The overdramatic screaming and groaning I often hear in kote songs

- Engrish

- Jazz-kei when it's anally raped by fuckboi bands trying to soothe some pussies to the point of prolapse

My biggest peeve...

-Definitely the mandatory jazzy song every band has. Even bands who praise satan and play the heaviest of sounds, will have a jazzy song at least once. Goddammit, at least make it not sound like the same song every fucking time?

Edited by Platy