platy

Favorite PVs/MVs [Discussion]🎥

I've fallen out of the habit of watching PVs, but decided to check out xaa-xaa's latest and it really held my attention. Now I've been on a MV/PV binge.

Let's talk PVs! Share your favorites/least favorites/etc. new or old, j-jpop, v-kei, j-rock and k-pop (i guess)

I loved the color and style of this MV as well as the song. I don't know how xaa-xaa does it every time. Kazuki is really expressive (well, at least when it comes to showing despair lol)

It reminded me of another one of my favorite mvs by pentagon. I mean the art direction is just  *chef's kiss*

and speaking of bands who release their best mv just before they disband, SuG's SICK'S is one of my all time favorites

I love these VK PVs/MVs for their bright, colorful and somewhat goofy aesthetics.

DIV - Taste of Life

Spoiler

SuG - Gr8 story

Spoiler

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Pon Pon Pon - This one isn't VK, but it's also got colorful, bright, and silly aesthetics. Not to mention it was everywhere at the time, so it's permanently stuck in my head.

Spoiler

There's always something very aesthetically beautiful about Moran's PVs that I always admire. My favorite in particular is this one:

Moran - 春の夜の、ひと雫 - It uses computer graphics (I believe?), so the scenery isn't shot in real life, but I think the artistry of it perfectly fits the heartfelt ballad.

Spoiler

And my nostalgia enjoys the dark aesthetics and random black and white footage in the Reddish PV by Despairs Ray even though it's just them mainly playing in front of the camera.

Spoiler

Vidoll - I my aimai - Couldn't find a better quality sadly, but the crazy and chaotic way it is shot is just my cup of tea for early to mid 2000s VK. Props to it being filmed in broad daylight in some random outside areas.

Spoiler

Kagrra, - Kotodama - The effects (i.e. water ripples) and aesthetics help add to the overall dark themes contained within the lyrics.

Spoiler

I really like Hysteric Panic's "Cinderella Syndrome". It complements all the shifts in mood in the song well, and I like how it's always kind of right on the line between goofy and serious.

Edited by violetchain

i don't really like current VK PVs anymore, they're more often than not really bland;

however looking back at past 5 yeats, I keep coming back to those ones:

lanuncurus serving budget for the last time in this scene (?)

I like all femme fatale videos but their last one before hiatus/disband was the most bittersweet, and their looks were always on point

I like how OTT and hysterical verxina acting is, other girlies could take a lesson or two

this video isn't on utube and I can't make a decent rip but indie-indie era UFJ videos are something else I stan

honorary nostalgia mentions:

s/o for zero hd uploads with no lyrics hardsub, it's either in 240p or like this

I love PVs, it's so great to discover all the ones you guys picked! I just discovered Hysteric Panic and I'm very thankful for that, I love it haha!

I absolutely adore all of WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA's PVs. It's hard to pick just one but I guess Ikkyu-san will do, as it was the first one I saw from her and it made me instantly fall in love with her universe:

Much of the same can be said for MONDO GROSSO but I'll pick Labyrinth:

... and Charisma.com. But my favorite is moyamoyashite:

I have a big soft spot for KIRINJI's Jikanga Nai:

Anyway, as can be seen from all the ones I've mentioned, even though I do enjoy watching simple PVs just centered around the band playing, they usually don't make it to my favorites. It's interesting because it didn't use to be that way. There are many simple PVs from MUCC and Plastic Tree that I love, and they are simply that.

But the nicest "it's just the band playing but in extremely cool lighting" PV I can name is THE NOVEMBERS' Bad Dream. What a great song, too.

The ultimate PV to me will be, always and forever, MAXIMUM THE HORMONE's eponymous. It's just everything I love about them into one song and one music video hehehe

It's actually been a while since I've watched visual kei PVs, I guess I gotta get back to it. Which is why most of what I listed is J-pop (aside from the past 2). But what would be this topic without someone mentioning the GazettE's Taion, right?

Visual Kei PVs are probably one of the reasons why I love VK so Goddamn much. I'm always wanting a triple, heaping helping of all the cheesy Kote VK PV cliches such as:

• Staring into the camera while flipping their hair
  • Awkward attempts at dancing
  • Breaking something that's made of glass
  • Broken English
  • White people being used as exotic props (Let's save the racial dynamic discussion for another thread onegai)
  • A little bit 'o fan service 

My favorite songs playlist on Youtube is not just for my favorite songs but also serves as where I keep my favorite PVs too! Because a good PV elevates the song, I do believe. 

Here's a hilarious, old school classic that never fails to make me laugh! BY-SEXUAL are so underrated

Missalina Rei hold a special place in my heart as a truly unique group that could do extremely silly and serious songs with ease. This PV always makes me feel better when I'm down!

This has been my favorite song for almost 4 years now, and this PV, my favorite for just as long. Despite it looking completely random, the storyline does follow the lyrics... Mostly. The rich visuals, colors, and extravagant European aesthetics within it make for a unique experience, and it was one of the first PVs that got me really into VK and especially Malice Mizer

I love me some Sandwich. I adore how lots of Angura Kei PVs are super low budget and just feature the guys messing around and having fun with each other. It's so down to earth and it's nice to see that music is a fun, artsy side project for these guys and not something they care about for the money. I especially love the dancing part of this PV!

This PV and song got me into Guniw Tools. I checked them out due to curiosity and their strange and unique DIY/Arthaus vibes sucked me in. The music itself is amazing with its insane genre mashing, but that aside, I love the PVs. I can tell that they're directed by FULL because NOOKICKY and SHILFEE PVs have this same direction to them, especially with the whole "foreign location" aspect. This PV seems somewhat jumbled but it actually follows the lyrical theme of being a critical look at Christmas traditions. 

This Pura PV has a very special place in my heart. The first time I ever saw it was when I discovered that it was a hidden PV on the Premium Best disc, with its early 2000s DVD menu and 240p quality in all of its nostalgic glory. It was the first time I ever saw it, but it also felt like I simultaneously have grown up with it by my side. 

I also love the PV for just how nonchalantly it treats its weird imagery. Ryutaro shoving a battery into a literal tuna mackerel and listening to the "music" in it(???), all of the falling shoes which are foreshadowing for the members being barefoot at the end of the PV, the sky portal and flying fish at the end of the PV... I have so many questions yet they never get answers. However, I do believe that is the beauty of this piece of art. As always, Plastic Tree don't spell it out for you, you have to tackle the themes for yourself. I'm far from stupid but I'm still struggling to figure out what the Tuna Mackerel Walkman is supposed to symbolize. The sounds of nature? Hmm...

I have SO many favorite MVs, but I think I the ones that I will list below are some that I are my all times favorite and the dearest to me. 

MUCC - Flight

Looking back, I miss sweaty lives and people getting into each other’s business 😂. The MV adds up to the overall energetic vibe of the song! 

MUCC - 睡蓮

My boys literally put up an application form for everyone who wanted to join in the MV and also called some amazing dancers and performers!! This MV took my whole heart 💕. Proud to be a 夢烏 😌

DEZERT - 変態

I’m not sure how much the MV relates with the song but, they’re in a place, Chiaki is wearing a skirt, THERE IS AN ADORABLE CAT, what else do you want? Perfection 🥺💕.

MERRY - 千代田線デモクラシー

I mean this MV is food for the thought a lot. It really shows you the story the lyrics are telling and it makes some strong yet subtle statements and that’s what I love about Merry.

MERRY - Happy Life

One of my favorite songs from them is this and the MV is equally beautiful. “I don’t care what you think, I will do my best even if you throw tomatoes at me” seems to be the appropriate vibe given the lyrics of the song. I love it and I’m here for it. Though Gara mentioned that originally this MV was supposed to be shot outside, but the weather gone bad so they had to relocate in a school gym. And afterwards had to clean up all the mess they’ve made 😂

Music videos as an art form peaked with these two PVs right here. Nothing else whatsoever that came after them can ever possibly compare

Spoiler

2:48 is the moment when i finally feel no pain at all

Spoiler

when will black metal and visual kei """""musicians""""" EVER get on this level?  i connect on a spiritual level to the dude casually eating soft-serve ice cream in a tree

I have a lot. I really enjoy vids with live footage in them or a different recording of the song, more a reason to binge PVs on youtube... I'm a big proponent of the old schools ones!! 

Spoiler

This PV never fails to get me emotional. I think Nawa's one of those songs I can listen to on repeat and never get sick of..

Spoiler

Best song by the best band evar. Kiyoharu's expressions are kind of ridiculous here which makes this my favorite PV by them. Random tambourine + 90s flowing cloth backdrop + licking lips one too many times + seductive looks into the camera

Spoiler

Jakura's kind of a recent find for me, the early 2000's vibes are strong in this one. Sooo good.

Spoiler

1:10 .... chills

Edited by fruitfork
Fingers think faster than my brain

k-pop (i guess)

*cracks knuckles* well... 👀  

Okay I am not going to put anyone in these forums through k-pop mvs (though I am well qualified to do so I'll refrain) but *will* share the one k-pop MV that got me into k-pop after years of being "eek" about it. (ironically my ~ult bias~ which would be the kpop equivalent of a honmei turned out to be the white haired guy lol.)

Now moving on to less k-poppy stuff... To be honest I am uninspired now (blaming it entirely on whoever made my mind go to k-pop MVs.) but ... some of my favorite MVs lately would be not-particularly-outstanding-just-emotional things like Colorful World by Kariya Seira and melt by TK/suis ; Guess sometimes I like "everything an artist puts out" because they are just so charismatic and/or creative like Alice Vicious or Sayuri or Shishido Kavka etc. Or because they are purely 100% amazing (thats amazarashi) 😞 ...

I wish I didn't sound that biased but honestly the only Japanese video aside from these that I remember vividly in the last ~2 years was that one where the SCANDAL girls came out. Maybe I'm that out of the loop in Japanese MVs lol In general hmm ... American/British PVs interest me more. I guess the production values are better which in turn makes the whole thing better. But k-pop beats it all  remember the MV that made Ayabambi worldwide famous? A k-pop group did that recently, dumbed down with bad music, by the way

When it comes to vk these days I was reminded of Dance My Generation which is great, which in turn reminds me that Pentagon and Golden Bomber had some amazing PVs. On The Other Hand my faves were never ... exactly known for great PVs (HAHAHAHAHHA ... the understatement), so no recommendations here lol. (for proof, here's the best of Shounenki and Nightmare honestly.) For what it's worth sometimes I really like Miyavi's PVs though that's ... not vk (does Ashita Genki ni Naare count in prime 2020?)

... Anyway, where were we? K-pop MVs! Thanks 

Spoiler

Edited by Chell
more k pop oh yay

21 hours ago, Tokage said:

i connect on a spiritual level to the dude casually eating soft-serve ice cream in a tree

Mana-sama sold him that ice cream x 

(Gackt planted the tree. My second fanfiction ever.)

What comes to mind instantly when I think of fave PVs is the indie version of Melty Love by Shazna. Idk, its just really fun and bouncy and.... kind of hypnotic? Makes me nostalgic for a time and place I wasn't even around for.

I like the MV for LEGO BIG MORL's "Wait?" a lot as well. I think what they did with it was a really cute gesture.

Hiroki, the guitarist with the blonde hair, was in a motorcycle accident, and he fractured his right wrist and couldn't play for like a year or something, but the members decided to put the band on hiatus and wait for him to recover instead of getting someone to fill in. 

"Wait?" was one of the first songs they released after coming back, and well, it's pretty easy to see what the song is about.

Xaa-Xaa has been making some increasingly interesting PVs! I enjoyed their recent one too! I was pretty crazy with PVs back then....even made a ton of gifs lol. There's a lot I can list just out of pure nostalgia. I feel like most PVs these days seem rather generic with little story. Also, I miss those fun oshare kei pvs when all the members were just having fun and fooling around?

Spoiler

Some not so old favorites

Spoiler

Not VK but I just remember liking the aesthetic/concept in this one a lot

Spoiler

Also, why do I feel like a similar topic was already made?

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Loving the stuff being posted here. I'm slowly making my way through all the MVs :D

Wanted to add some more of my faves. A lot of MVs nowadays focus more on the singer showing off their face and outfits, so it can get a bit boring. What do we expect from the age of instagramses and tiktoks tho. It's not always necessarily a bad thing

Even if the focus is the band/singer, I prefer it when they're having fun, like this paiotsu PV where we get to see them  without make up and wearing just shorts and tank tops. It has a really nostalgic feeling.

Vneu's Mousou Kiss is a hilarious PV

Now for a couple of sexy mentions that just bless the eyes. I'll join @Chell and add a Kpop MV

MONDO GROSSO / 偽りのシンパシー (the dancing and rhythm are so entrancing

EXO - Obsession (the exposed midriff is a straight up 10/10)

Spoiler

@platy Very inventive usage of spoiler tags as if it's a matryoshka to hide the *-*** 👀 

Can't disagree though, my point exactly - most PVs/MVs seem to focus more and more on how good-looking the artists are/what an amazing job the makeup artist did!/etc. and not so much on a story (or even on the shock value of having them makeup-less which I also like!) which is why I a) tend to prefer kpop mvs (at least if everything else fails make em actually hot 😥 ) and b) don't know Vneu (which sounds like heresy but) but stanning already lolol. 

On the other hand we have bands like USG who release solid MVS continuously even though the vocalist himself could make me stare for 5 min 

Spoiler

Edited by Chell

I love this Liphlich one for the aesthetics and for how nicely the theme fits with the actual music. 

I also really liked Veltro by the Gallo one when it first came out because hail satan edgy > i'm a psycho edgy 

Someones pvs came to my mind

Malice mizer garnet

Decameron stay with me 

Color sangbage baby 

Versailles revenaint choir 

D schwarzchild