CAT5

J-ROCK songs in EngRRRRrish THAT STILL KICK ASS ANYWAYS!

oNGpoXh.jpg

If you're like me, you probably loathe the sound of Engrish in Japanese music and wonder why the Japanese would rather forsake their own beautiful language in exchange for absolutely butchering (in most cases) another. Others may find it comedic or even endearing.

HOWEVER. This thread isn't about the actual lyrics (we have threads for that). This thread is about songs that still sound great, despite being entirely (or almost entirely) in Engrish.

What songs do you think still kick ass despite being in Engrrrish?

For me...

One of my favorite SADS songs from my favorite SADS album. The main riff (and perhaps SADS in general) sounds cliche as hell, but this shit still sounds tough as fuck. Plus Kiyoharu's vocals have always been great, so this one gets a definite pass on the Engrish.

Taka's Engrish is actually....really....REALLY, REALLY bad :tw_joy: But that main guitar riff mixed with the synth, and THAT BEAT!!? CATCHY AS FUCK! You can't tell me this shit don't jam!!!! :tw_joy::tw_joy::tw_joy:

Yall don't know nothin 'bout MY WAY MY LOVE, but these guys always had some weird, off-kilter shit going on that, for the most part, kept them in their own lane. Most of their songs are in Engrrish, but dude usually delivers it in a pretty unique and palatable manner. DOPE.

I feel like i'm kinda cheating by including Lillies and Remains because literally all of their songs are in Engrish. Kent's singing isn't entirely intelligible, but these guys are such a high quality band that you could care less about it.

5166b0b1b5eeb969c669720a5d02e758_w200.gi

That's all I got for now! May share some more later~

37 minutes ago, IGM_Oficial said:

Luna sea's "Rosier". I mean... how do you even prick your heart? Just look at that:

57 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

This thread isn't about the actual lyrics (we have threads for that).

Would naming stuff like Oblivion Dust or Leo Imai be cheating considering they're basically fluent?

When Kyo said "Fucker Fucker Radical Fucker Trans Psycho Pleasure", I felt that 😭

9rue1 au5ocracy by Insanity Injection [got taken down from YT and Spotify, might have to upload my own]; I had no clue the lyrics where in English until I was bored one day and looked them up but the song fucking slams so hard. Kyouka could sing a recipe for making vanilla bean cupcakes and shit would still slam.

I know a lot of people don't like S-CONCIOUS but I will defend it to hell and back 😤It's an interesting take on industrial/noise but I appreciate it. Also the Engrish is just 👌

And if I'm mentioning MM Engrish, it would be an absolute crime to not mention the Holy Grail of Engrish; plagiarised English lyrics. In Après midi E-Style, which is a slightly stripped back and retooled English version of the original Après mid (which was in Japanese) Gackt literally just copy-pasted lyrics from the first verse of Mariah Carey's "When I Saw You" and added them into the song. Ngl that's kind of a chad move considering that Mariah's team would never hear this so he wouldn't get sued and the song's so good I wouldn't mind pitching in a twenty to Gackt's legal case if that ever happens

I always enjoy Kamijo singing in English regardless of the song.

Versailles - Love will be born again

Spoiler

Initially, I had no idea Ruki was singing mostly in English for this one, but I still loved it. That bass in the beginning is great and I'm a sucker for jazzy-esque songs.

the GazettE - Silly God Disco

Spoiler

Edited by monkeybanana4

Almost every NOA song fits this description, IMO, but "sandglass" is one of the better examples.

Edited by violetchain

On 6/12/2020 at 4:48 AM, Tokage said:

Would naming stuff like Oblivion Dust or Leo Imai be cheating considering they're basically fluent?

I should have titled this thread "J-rock songs with bad Engrish that still kick ass" :lol:

7 hours ago, KrumpingChihuahua said:

Are there any groups that have a decent English actually?  

I can't think of any newer artists, but as mentioned above Leo Imai has good English skills, tho he's half-Japanese. Another 'half' artist with excellent English is Ken Lloyd, vocalist of FAKE? and Oblivion Dust. Hmmm now that I think about it, I can't rly remember any other ones.