secret_no_03

Japanese Hip Hop/Rap

Thats only their first song. They are supposed to be a subgroup from The Rampage from Exile Tribe. 

Most groups that belong to LDHs Exile Tribe have some songs that can be categorized as Hip Hop, but most are not fixed on Hip Hop alone. 

(I am sorry, I have no idea how to make a cut, hidden content, whatever🤷🙏)

I'm a huge fan of Kohh, although his last two albums have been highly disappointing and his earliest stuff felt incredibly uneven and immature. But Dirty and Dirt II (Side A) are both incredible, and the track Paris (Sam Tiba Remix) is just beyond awesome. The original Paris is a banger too, but the remix is a proper fucking banger.

Krush Posse is a must hear. They got an incredible limited discography with only a few songs as far as I know, but they're good and they kinda laid the foundation of Japanese hip hop.

DJ Krush is a must hear for anyone into hip hop. Started out with Krush Posse before he went on on his own, having a long, rather successful and impactful career. 

Microphone Pager were pretty damn good. A due consisting of two thirds of Krush Posse.

Lamp Eye was really fucking awesome. Again these guys didn't release a lot of material (as far as I know) and it's a shame.

Buddha Brand is pretty darn classic, and Ningen Hatsudensho is a Japanese classic for sure. One of the more important Japanese hip hop albums, no?

King Giddra are easily among the best from Japan. Their debut album is a classic and up there with Buddha Brand's Ningen Hatsudensho for sure. Superb productions, neat flows and an overall gorgeous sound.

Nitro Microphone Underground is considered Japans answer to Wu-Tang Clan, although not nearly as good. But their debut album, which is the only one I am really familiar with, is a good album. Early 2000's hip hop and a product of its time, but they really had something special. Cool stuff.

I also enjoy Elle Teresa quite a lot. Japans answer to Nicki Minaj or something. Releases tend to switch between modern trap and bubble gum "trapop", but when she hits she usually hit kinda hard. THIS track is a good example of what she's capable of. Fantastic song and totally badass video.

Edit: and Nujabes, but I kinda assume everybody on a forum for Japanese music fans know him. Total legend!

Edited by Bear

Shaka Bose is kind of hit or miss for me, but I like some of his tracks a lot. Sometimes he veers a little too close to a kind of pretentious college student who went backpacking through Asia vibe for my liking, but he balances it out well by bringing a bit of silliness into his stuff.