secret_no_03

Japanese Hip Hop/Rap

I guess I'll put this here even though it's still Japanese, it's not Rock, but if it can go in the general under Rock then feel free to move it. Anyway, I was just wondering if there's any hip hop heads who are fans of Japanese hip hop/rap which is pretty much unique like VK in that it's essentially everything you hear in America minus the guns, still plenty of stuff about drugs which is funny because that's way illegal and there's been plenty of rappers who have gone to prison for weed and coke. I've noticed that KOHH has seemingly breached the global market, and he's had a hell of a career, but he's apparently retiring this year, the only other group I can think who have the chance to break out is 88Rising who actually helped KOHH break out when they invited him to the Head in the Clouds Festival in 2018.

Not really a fan of rap in general (unless it's from before the 2010s) but here are some artists/mvs for those that would like to further explore this genre:

Edited by AnchuAnchor

Man this thread gives me flashbacks to when I was super into... Fla$hbacks. 

Thanks folks, I'll be here all night.

Anyway, I also used to listen to KOHH as well. Not anymore though, as I got deeper into VK my taste for all kinds of Hip-hop fizzled out greatly. The only J-hip-hop artist I still listen to is Dotama, and that's because his flow is just something else. I don't even think it's possible to have this kind of flow in English, merely because of intrinsic linguistic differences. Also idk his voice is irritating at first but it grew on me hard. His releases have always been pretty solid these past years so I'm glad to have him in my library. 

9 minutes ago, Total Saikou said:

Man this thread gives me flashbacks to when I was super into... Fla$hbacks. 

Thanks folks, I'll be here all night.

Anyway, I also used to listen to KOHH as well. Not anymore though, as I got deeper into VK my taste for all kinds of Hip-hop fizzled out greatly. The only J-hip-hop artist I still listen to is Dotama, and that's because his flow is just something else. I don't even think it's possible to have this kind of flow in English, merely because of intrinsic linguistic differences. Also idk his voice is irritating at first but it grew on me hard. His releases have always been pretty solid these past years so I'm glad to have him in my library. 

RIP Febb/Young Mason 🙏

I'm a fan of the old school, but I've become a fan of the new trap Japan is doing with the emo/goth undertones.

Spoiler

Edited by secret_no_03

I can't say I know much about Japanese hip-hop, but I've been liking a few of the kind of rock-influenced acts lately. Particularly TYOSiN, because he's got a vaguely emo/goth vibe going on - he almost looks VK sometimes, tbh. He's also got a big Hunter x Hunter Phantom Troupe tattoo on his neck, and I'm a huge Hunter x Hunter fan, so that helps.

I'm not wild about his older work, but from mid to late~2018 on I think he's kind of figured out what his strengths are.

I find Tohji's energy and sense of humour really charming as well.

I like Jin Dogg's dark, vaguely macho vibe too. I find his tracks a bit more hit or miss for my own personal taste than the other two, but I saw this MV the other day and thought it was cool. I think the kind of hoarse, high-pitched way he screams is charming.

Edited by violetchain

1 minute ago, violetchain said:

I can't say I know much about Japanese hip-hop, but I've been liking a few of the kind of rock-influenced acts lately. Particularly TYOSiN, because he's got a vaguely emo/goth vibe going on - he almost looks VK sometimes, tbh. He's also got a big Hunter x Hunter Phantom Troupe tattoo on his neck, and I'm a huge Hunter x Hunter fan, so that helps.

I'm not wild about his older work, but from mid to late~2018 on I think he's kind of figured out what his strengths are.

I find Tohji's energy and sense of humour really charming as well.

I like Jin Dogg's dark, vaguely macho vibe too. I find his tracks a bit more hit or miss for my own personal taste than the other two, but I saw this MV the other day and thought it was cool. I think the kind of hoarse, high-pitched way he screams is charming.

I love anything OVERKILL, FUJITRILL comes out with. JIN DOGG is so talented and he's tri-lingual since he was born in Korea, raised in Japan and spent time in the US.

Let's see, in my library the artists that have Japanese and Hip Hop tags...

2WIN, AK-69, AKLO, BAD HOP, BENI, Chemistry, DA PUMP, DOBERMAN INFINITY, EXILE SHOKICHI, EXILE THE SECOND, Hilcrhyme, Home Made Kazoku, Katou Miliyah, KEN THE 390, KOHH, nobodyknows+, SALU, Shonan no Kaze, SKY-HI, SOUL'd OUT, TOC, Tosaka Hiroomi, T-Pablow, YORK, YZERR.

Some of those are gonna lean more into other genres, mainly pop and I think there's one or two trap/rap, maybe some R&B, but nonetheless here goes~

Spoiler

Sorry in advance if some of these fall out of the purview of hip-hop, I'm incredibly genre inarticulate and rely on a lot of public sources for genres so I imagine I get it wrong from time to time.
(Also, guys, spoiler the videos for viewer's sake, saves the page from taking heavens to load.)

Edited by NICKT

To highlight some new shit I enjoy... I really like a lot of JP The Wavy's album from this year (I also really dislike parts of it haha.)

I also think he had the 2nd best of the 88Rising Tokyo Drift freestyles from quarantine.

Spoiler

Edited by The Reverend

1 hour ago, secret_no_03 said:

I love anything OVERKILL, FUJITRILL comes out with. JIN DOGG is so talented and he's tri-lingual since he was born in Korea, raised in Japan and spent time in the US.

Hmm, I don't think I've heard any of FUJI TRILL's other works. I thought I had at first, but I think I'm getting him confused with like the three other guys with Trill in their names I've seen recently.

To be perfectly honest, I only decided to give Jin Dogg a serious shot like 2~3 days ago. He and TYOSiN did a bunch of songs together when he was still called KID NATHAN, so I had a vague idea of what he sounded like, but I didn't realize his solo work was also so dark until recently. I'm kind of conflicted, because there are some songs from him I really like, but the lyrics in some of his tracks just don't hit me right sometimes.

I was watching the lute documentary about him the other day though, and the straightforward, unpretentious vibe he gives off is really endearing. He just did a collab with Crossfaith recently, so I'm curious to see if he's going to keep heading further in the rock direction from here or not.

13 minutes ago, violetchain said:

Hmm, I don't think I've heard any of FUJI TRILL's other works. I thought I had at first, but I think I'm getting him confused with like the three other guys with Trill in their names I've seen recently.

To be perfectly honest, I only decided to give Jin Dogg a serious shot like 2~3 days ago. He and TYOSiN did a bunch of songs together when he was still called KID NATHAN, so I had a vague idea of what he sounded like, but I didn't realize his solo work was also so dark until recently. I'm kind of conflicted, because there are some songs from him I really like, but the lyrics in some of his tracks just don't hit me right sometimes.

I was watching the lute documentary about him the other day though, and the straightforward, unpretentious vibe he gives off is really endearing. He just did a collab with Crossfaith recently, so I'm curious to see if he's going to keep heading further in the rock direction from here or not.

Ooooh TYOSiN is KID NATHAN? I have his self-titled album, it's so good.

2 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

Ooooh TYOSiN is KID NATHAN? I have his self-titled album, it's so good.

Yeah, he changed his name to TYOSiN around 2017~2018-ish, I think. He still does some of the KID NATHAN songs live though, and most of the fans still just yell "Nathan!" in like every live video I've seen of him on YouTube.

I find some of his KID NATHAN stuff a bit goofy, tbh, but I don't think I've listened to a full album from that period yet.