sebbivism

DIR EN GREY new single 落ちた事のある空 release summer 2020

I can’t believe It but I dont like what they did to Clever. 😞👌🏻👊🏻

Edited by Daisuke

Great single. Unconventional in ways; but in the grand scheme of things it's in-line with their current output and I'm digging the hell out of it, including that soul-crushing breakdown near the end.

But, the mixing bothers me. Kyo's vocals are a little high (as always) and at first glance -- the levels suddenly spike near the end, it felt like a noticeable jump in volume; but I could just be hearing things.

Clever Sleazoid is weird. I miss the original intro; but it's still very good with some noticeable harmonic interplay between Kaoru and Die.

I'm not 100% sold on the Sleazoid remake. The way that WITHERWITHERWITHER part feels slapped in like Kyo only remembered at the last second he was still supposed to put that in somewhere especially rubs me the wrong way. VERY much here for the a-side though - I like that effect in the verse right after the 1st chorus that kinda sounds like a radio transmitter or something like that. 

The full version of the single is really amazing! The ending felt like it was a straight punch to my face lol loving it so far. For the remake of Clever the only thing that bugs me a little is the change of the intro riff but i love what they did with the rest of the song, gained a lot of power. Also, I like this mixing a lot more than in TWOM and TIW.

Edited by benzaiten._

skipped straight to CS and holy shit what a degenerative retake it legit sounds like a rip-off single by the 13teen based off the original I'm speechless

it also took me like two listens to realize he's sanging in japanese for the most part now lmaoooo

title track is very lovely.

Edited by nekkichi

17 minutes ago, nekkichi said:

skipped straight to CS and holy shit what a degenerative retake it legit sounds like a rip-off single by the 13teen based off the original I'm speechless

it also took me like two listens to realize he's sanging in japanese for the most part now lmaoooo

title track is very lovely.

Thirteenteen?

Where are you guys finding the songs?

Edit: Nvm I found them. I really like all three this time. The single is great, the breakdown at the end really ties the whole song together, the promo edit felt weird because it had a heavy intro but the rest of the song was much more melodic and the ending was very anticlimactic. The full song works much better. It kind of feels like a mix between their Uroboros and TIW eras. The major key interlude for whatever reason reminds me a bit of that weird interlude in Taiyou no Ao, but this time it’s good and not bad.

The Clever Sleazoid remake is awesome, I still love the original version(s) for their rawness and I miss the original intro, and the Engrish lyrics while kind of cringey had a certain charm to them, but I’m loving how heavy this version is and some of the added guitar harmonies and more technically impressive vocal shenanigans. I haven’t paid much attention to the new lyrics yet (I speak Japanese decently but it’s hard to understand singing and pretty much impossible to understand screaming lol) but Kyo’s English was always pretty astoundingly awful even for a Japanese vocalist, so this sounds more natural. I like that they kept a few lines in English, I think that works better for them than trying to do full songs in English. I do think it’s strange that out of all the original lyrics, they decided to keep “one day I will fuck your parents!” which is quite possibly the dumbest lyric in their entire discography, but it is what it is. Lol.

The live tracks are generally kind of throwaway and vary pretty wildly in quality (the live version of Utafumi from Ningen wo Kaburu was awful) but this time it was good. Just a nice live version of the song.

Edited by Kelrya

Holy shit this mixing is grainy and cheap. Dunno why you hate on TIW&TWOM, but praise this.
New song seems artificially shortened, it needs to be longer.
New CS... meh. Kyo sounds okay, not glad with new lyrics, and I literally confused this intro with Ochita's intro (due to the same mixing). Also wtf is with that last note.

Edited by EvilHippy

1 hour ago, Kelrya said:

I do think it’s strange that out of all the original lyrics, they decided to keep “one day I will fuck your parents!” which is quite possibly the dumbest lyric in their entire discography

Agree that it's a dumb as fuck lyric but it's ICONIC to this point u know

2 hours ago, EvilHippy said:

Holy shit this mixing is grainy and cheap. Dunno why you hate on TIW&TWOM, but praise this.
New song seems artificially shortened, it needs to be longer.
New CZ... meh. Kyo sounds okay, not glad with new lyrics, and I literally confused this intro with Ochita's intro (due to the same mixing). Also wtf is with that last note.

I do think Ochita could have been a little longer, it felt like they were trying to cram a lot of ideas into a song length that’s appropriate for a single, but I also think that TWoM could have been like 1-2 minutes shorter. That song just meanders so much, especially during the first half when it’s just some really simple electronic stuff and occasional guitar. I love the chorus, the fast heavy section and the climax/outro of that song but the build up in places felt kind of aimless and artificially drawn out rather than feeling like it built up more organically like some of their other long songs like Zetsuentai, Vinshuka, or Diabolos. I like the production on Ochita for the most part. It’s cleaner than TIW but it doesn’t have the kind of “cheap” sounding production (at least that’s how it sounded to me) that TWoM had.

Edited by Kelrya

Just now, Kelrya said:

I do think Ochita could have been a little longer, it felt like they were trying to cram a lot of ideas into a song length that’s appropriate for a single, but I also think that TWoM could have been like 1-2 minutes shorter. That song just meanders so much, especially during the first half when it’s just some really simple electronic stuff and occasional guitar. I love the chorus, the fast heavy section and the climax/outro of that song but the build up in places felt kind of aimless and artificially drawn out rather than feeling like it built up more organically like some of their other long songs like Zetsuentai, Vinshuka, or Diabolos. I like the production on Ochita for the most part. It’s cleaner than TIW but it doesn’t the kind of “cheap” sounding production (at least that’s how it sounded to me” that TWoM had.

Can agree with TWoM, which had too much calm moments/interludes.
And, considering that it was the combination of two song ideas (Kaoru's and Shinya's) - maybe that's why it doesn't feel natural that much.

About the production... I guess I'm biased, and I very like TIW's production (and the album itself), so... yeah. Not objective at all.

They Obscure 2011’ed the fuck out of Clever Sleazoid. I will always prefer the original 2005 single version.  

Ochita is good, though I’ll need some time to process that last minute. 

Man clever sleazoid is one of my favorite songs ever by them and even tho their remakes are usually a coinflip I was still hopeful but this was quite blah. Title track on the other hand is wonderful and more than makes up for it, I'm still here for the direction diru is continuing to go in

Imo DEG was at their peak in terms of creativity, atmosphere, technicality and musicianship from about 2009-2013. Songs like Different Sense, Diabolos and Rinkaku are just on another level even compared to their own discography. I also loved a lot of their “br00tal” remakes even though they sometimes forgot what was special about the original, for example with Obscure. But they made a lot of gems like Kiri to Mayu and Zan as well, and it allowed them to expirement in a way that I don’t think they would anymore, like with Tsumi to Batsu/Kisei. For me Sustain the Untruth was really bad in comparison and while most of Arche was much better than that single thankfully, and it was a great album overall, it also sometimes felt a little to clean and conventional. TIW was great too, I loved the aggression and emotion so much, but the songwriting and riffs sometimes felt too simple compared to their best work. But I think overall, while they may not be at their absolute creative peak, this band is still great and I’ve never been truly disappointed by any of their albums. This single feels like a cool mix of TIW and Uroboros (maybe even some Unraveling) and I can’t wait to hear the new album in 5 years. 

1 hour ago, Kelrya said:

Imo DEG was at their peak in terms of creativity, atmosphere, technicality and musicianship from about 2009-2013. Songs like Different Sense, Diabolos and Rinkaku are just on another level even compared to their own discography. I also loved a lot of their “br00tal” remakes even though they sometimes forgot what was special about the original, for example with Obscure. But they made a lot of gems like Kiri to Mayu and Zan as well, and it allowed them to expirement in a way that I don’t think they would anymore, like with Tsumi to Batsu/Kisei. For me Sustain the Untruth was really bad in comparison and while most of Arche was much better than that single thankfully, and it was a great album overall, it also sometimes felt a little to clean and conventional. TIW was great too, I loved the aggression and emotion so much, but the songwriting and riffs sometimes felt too simple compared to their best work. But I think overall, while they may not be at their absolute creative peak, this band is still great and I’ve never been truly disappointed by any of their albums. This single feels like a cool mix of TIW and Uroboros (maybe even some Unraveling) and I can’t wait to hear the new album in 5 years. 

Kaoru said in this interview that they will start work on a new album this year! 

https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/entame/news/2035173/

The new CLEVER SLEAZOID sounds a raw ass demo.  Im getting DOZING GREEN BC vibes from this. Its of cool that this will be taking the place of the original during lives. 

I still prefer the original but this is ballin.

I liked the single but I felt the song too short. I was expecting something more to come after that final, don't you feel that way too?

And Cleaver Sleazoid 0/10 no kyoglish, worst song of the decade

When does the video come out? I don’t understand why the Japanese music industry is so weird about this kind of stuff,  just put it on YouTube when the song releases.