Sign in to follow this  
Manabu

Artists you slept on for too long

As the title says, which groups/artists did you ignore for too long? Could be a band that had a lot of hype and talk when they came out, could be music that has really resonated with you and you feel you should've checked them out earlier.

My top pick would have to be Merry, I always knew their name but just never bothered to listen to them. Someone here posted a video of 'Montage' live and within about thirty seconds of hearing it I knew I was hooked. I even feel a bit guilty for not listening to them sooner given their importance and with such a big discography it's quite a task to go through it all.

Apologies if there is already a similar thread.

I think the band I slept on was lynch. I loved 'adore' and 'ambivalent ideal' but never cared to listen to anything else from them.  Also I was always a bit turned of by the over presence of hazuki in the group. 

Now with getting to visual kei group (or with their origin in vk) I finally started to dig into more songs. 

5 hours ago, Manabu said:

As the title says, which groups/artists did you ignore for too long? Could be a band that had a lot of hype and talk when they came out, could be music that has really resonated with you and you feel you should've checked them out earlier.

My top pick would have to be Merry, I always knew their name but just never bothered to listen to them. Someone here posted a video of 'Montage' live and within about thirty seconds of hearing it I knew I was hooked. I even feel a bit guilty for not listening to them sooner given their importance and with such a big discography it's quite a task to go through it all.

Apologies if there is already a similar thread.

i am still sleeping on merry. 😂 Maybe I should finally give them a try too?  

misreading this thread title as ''artists you slept with for too long''

OT: For me it's currently Cascade. I remember at least liking them on a surface level but I only decided to dig deeper into their '90s output relatively recently and quite a good amount of their older material is rather unique as far as VK-adjacent stuff goes IMO

4 hours ago, KrumpingChihuahua said:

i am still sleeping on merry. 😂 Maybe I should finally give them a try too?  

Yep! I think you will like their 「beautiful freaks」、merry also was in my "listen later" list before that album!

And... it took me... 10 years? From "hm, nice track" to "jesus I'll die if I'll never be able to buy their full discography!", and I'm talking about RENTRER EN SOI. Their early stuff was so good! And now I'm obsessed with an idea to get アストルの絲 and カインの棺、aah...

Edited by 少女椿

Bruh, I slept so flippin' hard on the entire Piko-piko scene because I thought that electronica/chiptune wasn't my thing. I just passed it all off because I thought it wouldn't suit my taste, as I have a history of not being fond of electronic music such as EDM. Turns out, Piko-piko is actually my thing, and I can't believe it took me this fucking long to appreciate some good quality electronica. Now I'm into 新宿ゲバルト, FLOPPY, COSMO-SHIKI, サンドイッチで120分? and am slowly easing myself into GalapagosS, ADAPTER, and Metronome.

Sometimes I marvel at all the close encounters I had with cali≠gari over the years yet I never got into their music until like a month ago. It's almost like a bad stroke of fate or something, like all songs I heard back then turned out to be all the ones I don't like even now, and the wildest thing is that I don't dislike a lot of a lot of their songs, just a teensy-tiny handful which-coincidentally-mostly includes the ones I was first exposed to (for anyone curious, 暗中浪漫, トイレでGO! and Bluefilm [which I kinda like now]). If I had listened to... like, literally any other cali≠gari song sooner, I would've been a Garist years ago! I wonder what kind of timeline that would've been in...

Also slept on Pura quite a bit until recently, only listened to a few songs of theirs that I liked, but like a month or two ago I listened to 絶望の丘 which instantly became one of my favorite songs. So I checked out Puppet Show, and Goddamn that album has been AOTY every year since '98, we been knew. So I've been listening to as many new Pura songs as I can and they really suit my emo mood, plus Ryutarou's voice is a gift from God.

Slept hard on Megamasso (only listened to like, St.Lily) until I heard the disband news like 3 years ago which made me listen to their albums and damn, you don't know what you got until it's gone :(

Arlequin.

I knew they existed but I just never took the time to actually sit down and listen until a few months ago. Now they’re one of my faves. 

There are only a few Japanese bands that I've slept on for more than a few years.

BUCK-TICK: I slept on them for nearly ten years. I've known about them since 2009, I would receive a song of theirs in a few trade-offs time to time, even downloaded a few albums, but never really put in the effort to listen to them until sometime last year. I don't quite remember what motivated this, or which I album I officially started with, but I now listen to them all the time.

BORIS: learned of their existence in 2011, but didn't really bother to listen to anything; in 2013, I added New Album to my wishlist where it sat for years and years; I downloaded NOISE in 2014 but never really listened to it. In 2016, they re-released PINK, and I decided to give them a real try, I finally listened to NOISE and got hooked. Now, they're one of my absolute favourite bands!

If we're including non-Japanese bands, there's a bigger list. Each year between 2016-2019, I rediscovered a band that I hella slept on approximately ten years prior. In 2016, I got into The Number Twelve Looks Like You; in 2017, Deftones; 2018, Underoath; 2019, tool. It became a musical discovery event that I would anticipate. I'm not sure if there are any more bands I could rediscover to keep this tradition going.

This all has me pondering how my taste in music has changed in the past fifteen years. I learned of these bands when I was a teenager, and a lot of them I learned about when my taste in music was narrower than ever. I wonder, would I have been able to appreciate any of these bands when I first learned they existed? Would their music have changed my palate sooner, or in different ways? Or did my palate need to change the way it did before I could appreciate their music?

I slept from The Gazette because I know this band since  a long time ago and I don't like it at first. So I watch Red MV and I like their music in 2010. 

I slept for Kiryu because I know thems since many years ...but I listen their music since 2013.

I discover Codomo Dragon 2013 or 2013 and I really listen the band since 2016  .

Not VK, not even Japanese, but I took WAY too long to get into Nevermore. I first saw them at a concert in 2000 when I went to see their opening act, In Flames. But I didn't appreciate them until after they broke up in 2011.

10 hours ago, Total Saikou said:

Bruh, I slept so flippin' hard on the entire Piko-piko scene because I thought that electronica/chiptune wasn't my thing. I just passed it all off because I thought it wouldn't suit my taste, as I have a history of not being fond of electronic music such as EDM. Turns out, Piko-piko is actually my thing, and I can't believe it took me this fucking long to appreciate some good quality electronica. Now I'm into 新宿ゲバルト, FLOPPY, COSMO-SHIKI, サンドイッチで120分? and am slowly easing myself into GalapagosS, ADAPTER, and Metronome.

SAME!!! 

It doesn't help that my first introduction to the scene was ピノキヲ tho lol

Luckly few months after him I decided to give it another try with メトロノーム, FLOPPY, 新宿ゲバルト, and the very underrated spam_life.

Thanks to them I realized the music is not bad at all, it's just ピノキヲ that's... questionable lol

12 minutes ago, .StranGè. said:

SAME!!! 

It doesn't help that my first introduction to the scene was ピノキヲ tho lol

Luckly few months after him I decided to give it another try with メトロノーム, FLOPPY, 新宿ゲバルト, and the very underrated spam_life.

Thanks to them I realized the music is not bad at all, it's just ピノキヲ that's... questionable lol

Yeah, as you can guess with my avatar, 新宿ゲバルト was my Piko-piko gateway band. One listen to 青春 and then my addiction began lol

Uyuni is such a crackhead, he needs to be institutionalized. I lowkey respect him for being so based though

Sign in to follow this