CAT5

downy - 第七作品集『無題』-7th Untitled Album- [Discussion Thread]

downy - 第七作品集『無題』  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite songs from the album?

• コントラポスト
    • 視界不良
    • 36.2°
    • good news
    • 角砂糖
    • ぜラニウム
    • 砂上、燃ユ。残像
    • pianoid
    • 鮮やぐ視点
    • adaptation
    • stand alone
  2. 2. Which do you think are the weakest songs on the album?

• コントラポスト
    • 視界不良
    • 36.2°
    • good news
    • 角砂糖
    • ぜラニウム
    • 砂上、燃ユ。残像
    • pianoid
    • 鮮やぐ視点
    • adaptation
    • stand alone
  3. 3. How many stars would you rate this album out of 5?

• ★★★★★ - COVID-19 😷 😷 😷
    • ★★★★ - "Good!"
    • ★★★ - "Decent"
    • ★★ - "Underwhelming"
    • ★ - "Nah fam"

Ka6cnUU.jpg

jLymZfN.jpg

リリース: 2020年3月18日

レーベル: rhenium records

▼収録曲

01.コントラポスト
02.視界不良
03.36.2°
04.good news
05.角砂糖
06.ゼラニウム
07.砂上、燃ユ。残像
08.pianoid
09.鮮やぐ視点
10.adaptation
11.stand alone

What are your thoughts on the album? :3

It was a hella long time ago that I actually listened to downy, so I was kiiiinda knowing what to expect but still kinda not sure, lol. This turned out a bit more experimental and "out-there" as I was anticipating, not that it's a bad thing.

I haven't had a listening experience like this for a while now, where I start the album and not rly feeling it, but gradually song by song it actually became better and better, peaking around tracks 6-7 (then the rest are a mixed bag). It was interesting. I like the trippy atmosphere and noisiness, but two things I have issues with:

1. WTF is that short synth interlude and why put it there? lol

2. In some of the tracks the way the drums are mixed/presented make it a bit difficult to enjoy the music (too loud and mechanical maybe?).

Other than these observations, I dig pretty much everything. Tracks 5, 6, 7, 10, 11 are the ones that got me hooked, especially 6-7 and 11.

For me it's an "almost 4-starer" but not quite, so  :3.5:

These guys so far have yet to disappoint in my opinion. I love how they manage to have such a unique sound and yet have every single album feel like a sort of logical progression from the last. At the same time, if you're not already on board with their overall sound I think this one ain't gonna be changing your mind as it still definitely undeniably sounds like downy in every respect.

I have to side w/ @Jigsaw9 regarding the song progression thing though, I think the first few tracks are the weakest ones (especially that interlude), but everything after track 3 ranges from ''good'' to ''AWWW YEAH'' for me. ''stand alone'' is absolutely one of the standout tracks for me, parts of it really bring that particular old-school brand of 90s post-hardcore/noise rock to mind which I absolutely love. 

1 minute ago, Tokage said:

''stand alone'' is absolutely one of the standout tracks for me, parts of it really bring that particular old-school brand of 90s post-hardcore/noise rock to mind which I absolutely love. 

Yeah, that one really surprised me. I was not expecting that type of rawer sound, but it was a great way to end the album!

The only other thing I have to add is that even now, after having listened to downy for years, I'm still never 100% sure whether I'm always entirely on board with the vocals or not lol