secret_no_03

Coffee ☕ vs Tea 🍵

Coffee or Tea  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer coffee or tea?

• Coffee all the way! ⚡⚡⚡
    • I'm too jittery for coffee. Tea please.
    • Both!
    • Just water, thank you.
    • I like one more than the other.

So, I used to hate it as a child, but as I became an adult and now at 30 I love the stuff. I'm talking about coffee you make yourself, not Starbucks or a percolator. So, do you like coffee? If so how do you like it, do you just buy it or do you prepare it yourself? How do you prepare it?

I got rid of my coffee make and use a Hario v60 and an Aeropress depending on how much work I want to put into it. I buy beans from the store, and occasionally pre-ground. I'm hoping to subscribe to a Japanese coffee subscription soon as well. Currently I go for medium roasts as it's pretty hard to find lighter roasts in the store and I'm not ready for the dark roasted traditional Japanese coffee aka jet fuel.  

-Also be sure to say if you prefer tea over coffee, what kind and why? I pay around $16USD for a small container of pure matcha every 3 months and it's definitely worth it. Matcha is stronger and has even more health benefits than green tea, especially if you get pure and not "made with matcha". I still need a chosen though as I just sift it and cold brew it. 🍵

Edited by secret_no_03

My favourite coffee is Vietnamese/Thai style. Rich, dark roast, with condensed milk. It is simultaneously strong and creamy.

As for tea, I can only do sweetened teas because I'm an uncultured plebian. That being said, I love black, oolong, milk/chai/boba, and chrysanthemum. I can't choose tea or coffee over eachother though, because I like them for different reasons. Coffee during the mornings, tea and water the rest of the day for me lol

I can't handle anything too bitter so the only hot drink I drink is hot chocolate. I have a massive sweet tooth and I've never understood why people say "put sugar in it" when I say I don't like coffee. Coffee is just such an overpowering taste/aroma to me and I don't think all the sugar in the world could convince me to drink it. Although, all the sugar in the world does sound nice... 😆

1 minute ago, Gesu said:

I can't handle anything too bitter so the only hot drink I drink is hot chocolate. I have a massive sweet tooth and I've never understood why people say "put sugar in it" when I say I don't like coffee. Coffee is just such an overpowering taste/aroma to me and I don't think all the sugar in the world could convince me to drink it. Although, all the sugar in the world does sound nice... 😆

That's interesting because I've had some VERY bitter hot chocolate. The Starbucks hot chocolate is the most bitter thing I've ever tasted and that includes burnt dark roasted coffee.

4 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

That's interesting because I've had some VERY bitter hot chocolate. The Starbucks hot chocolate is the most bitter thing I've ever tasted and that includes burnt dark roasted coffee.

I've had hot chocolates from Starbucks and from what I recall I didn't find them bitter but I did find them a bit weak in comparison to others (e.g. Costa). Maybe they do them a little differently in different parts of the world? Or maybe we tried them at different times and they changed up their recipe in between. 🤔

That being said, I've had some rather bitter hot chocolates too. I went to a cafe near the seaside a year or two ago and had a hot chocolate that was so bitter it tasted more like coffee than anything else (and I know they didn't mess up my order). I usually drink a hot choc every evening or near enough and I do it very strong and sweet with lots of marshmallows so I have quite high standards for the strength/sweetness of my hot chocolates, lol.

4 minutes ago, Gesu said:

I've had hot chocolates from Starbucks and from what I recall I didn't find them bitter but I did find them a bit weak in comparison to others (e.g. Costa). Maybe they do them a little differently in different parts of the world? Or maybe we tried them at different times and they changed up their recipe in between. 🤔

That being said, I've had some rather bitter hot chocolates too. I went to a cafe near the seaside a year or two ago and had a hot chocolate that was so bitter it tasted more like coffee than anything else (and I know they didn't mess up my order). I usually drink a hot choc every evening or near enough and I do it very strong and sweet with lots of marshmallows so I have quite high standards for the strength/sweetness of my hot chocolates, lol.

Well, I got it in the can, and it was pure coacoa so that's probably why, but yeah. As far as hot cocoa goes I have to have Swiss miss. 

I enjoy both tea and coffee; interestingly, I prefer them without any milk or sugar in them (I know I'm a minority). I buy pre-ground beans and brew in a French Press. Usually I buy medium-blend and brew it strong. I'm not big on weak/watery coffee. Sometimes I buy flavored coffee, my favorite flavours are chocolate, raspberry, and French Vanilla. I'm fairly caffeine resistant so I don't drink coffee for the caffeine but merely because I appreciate its bitter and deep taste. Usually I just skip it in the morning and my energy levels don't get any worse (vice versa for benefits). I've only gotten coffee jitters once in my lifetime but that was from drinking like 10 cups in 5 hours because the new beans I got were so tasty that I just kept making new pots (it was those raspberry ones btw). The only stuff I drink from Starbucks are their frapuccinos because damn that shit good.

As for tea, I drink black, green, white, rooibos, herbal, Matcha, Chai, you name it, I drink it. I love earl grey and fruit tea the most! Specifically strawberry and raspberry flavours (I can see a pattern here). Usually just stick to tea bags but my family often buys loose leaf green tea from Asian markets. We often brew a big pot of green tea for afternoon snacks, tea is important to my family because of our cultural ties.

48 minutes ago, Gesu said:

With me, I can only have coffee with a lot of creamer or milk (either eevaporated or condensed). Basically, contrasting the bitterness with some creaminess and sweetness. That's why Thai and Viet coffee use condensed milk. You need something super creamy and sweet to contrast the really rich coffee. 

I will never understand plain black coffee. I've tried it and it ain't my thing personally. Just plain bitterness is sensory hell for me lol

Edited by Himeaimichu

I'm a coffee drinker, though I enjoy tea as well.

Typically, I'll make my coffee with just enough creamer to get a nice golden brown-ish color. I don't add any sugar or sweeteners.

Coincidentally, this is the way my dad used to make his as well.

4 minutes ago, CAT5 said:

I'm a coffee drinker, though I enjoy tea as well.

Typically, I'll make my coffee with just enough creamer to get a nice golden brown-ish color. I don't add any sugar or sweeteners.

Coincidentally, this is the way my dad used to make his as well.

I think a good majority of people take up their coffee drinking method from their family, for better or worse because a lot of us have been drinking it since we were children in some form or fashion.

35 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

I think a good majority of people take up their coffee drinking method from their family, for better or worse because a lot of us have been drinking it since we were children in some form or fashion.

I believe it. I started drinking coffee as a kid too, but i'd often overload it with sugar. As I got older, I just added less and less sugar until I did away with it altogether. I guess I'm slowly becoming my dad, but that's cool, cuz that n!gga was a G :lol:

I love both but water is my overall choice, honestly.

I enjoy all kinds of tea and usually drink them unsweetened. Except for chai tea though, out of those I've tried. It's a little too strong for me so I like to brew it in hot milk and add some honey. I also love milk tea, especially royal milk tea. I used to buy them all the time when I was in Japan. Unfortunately I can't get them in stores anywhere here unless I buy the instant ones off amazon. My sister bought these earl grey flavored milk tea a long time ago which I absolutely loved but I can't remember where she got them or what brand it was....

As for coffee I mostly drink it iced. I only started drinking it more about half a year ago for those sleepless nights, my sleeping schedule is so bad right now. I try to avoid drinking it daily and only drink it when I really need to be awake, which is about half the days of the week. I do love iced coffee though. I buy the sweeter coffee grounds, currently using French Vanilla, add a bit of creamer, some honey, milk, and chill it with some ice. That's best way to drink it for me. I rarely drink it hot. Also, I went to Starbucks twice and don't get the hype at all.

Few months ago I would have said COFFEE!!1! but I've since quit. I was heavily dependant on caffeine, to the point of headaches and dizziness if I went too long without it (too long being few hours), which is not surprising since I could have up to 5 cups per day. I first moved onto caffeine pills and then quit those too altogether.  I now only drink it on occasion. 

I'd been drinking coffee since very young age I feel like, 18-19? since my parents have always had this ritual of brewing coffee in the morning and then a second one at noon, I eventually joined. I was never a coffee aficionado, neither were my parents, we just had the mid range, store bought ground coffee and I then moved to mid range, store bought instant lol 

Now tea though. Tea I like to get fancy with. I mostly drink green tea these days, jasmine green tea is my all time favourite, but I like black and white teas too. HATE red tea with a passion, and fruit teas to a lesser extent. I also like to drink all kinds of dried herbs like fennel, mint, chamomile, lemon balm etc. 

I also love my beer tea flavoured :'D

I love green tea , white tea and parfumes tea. I drink sometimes Oolong tea. I don't like black tea. I love herbal tea (camomile , strawberry, ginger , flowers etc)I never like drink  coffees.

Edited by Miku70

I can't have caffeine in any shape or form. Many years ago, I decided to have a latte despite knowing I'm not good with caffeine and it was the worst experience of my life. Anxiety, jitters, numbness, pins and needles, hallucination...yeah so I even avoid green tea and energy drinks are a no go. I only like herbal teas (chamomile, rose, lavender, nettle, hemp, coconut,etc.) and without sugar. Most of the time will opt for water or hot water with lemon and honey. 

I'm a coffee drinker. I just regular, cheap pre-ground coffee for mornings before I go to work or something. Then I use way more expensive and better beans which I ground myself when I've got the time to properly enjoy a good brew.

I drink way too much coffee tho. On days such as these, when I am home all day, I drink up to 2,5l of strong coffee a day. On a regular day when I'm at work I usually drink a 2-4 cups of coffee between 8-10am, then 2-4 cups between 10-12am and then between 1-5 cups between 12-3pm. Depends on how much I got to do at work. Then I go home and between coming home and going to bed I drink around 7,5dl. Healthy? Nah, but that's life. There's days where I don't drink coffee too and it's not a problem at all, but I prefer coffee for the same reason I drink beer. It just tastes fantastic.

I drink 2-3 cups of black coffee every morning. For some reason I loved coffee even as a child, so my mom used to give it to me in my own tiny mug. So I've been a coffee drinker since I could barely walk lol. In recent years I've also come to like tea a lot, mostly green. I love the bitter taste. So now I have coffee in the morning and tea in the evening. 

Born in England my parents were constantly having tea so I had a bit of an affinity towards it but I'm painfully specific with how I like my tea, only two brands (PG Tips or Yorkshire) brewed for 7 minutes, dash of milk etc.

Coffee on the other hand I really like the variety in taste and aroma and since investing in beans, a press and a grinder I've taken more of a liking to it. As a smoker I really enjoy a cigarette with a cup of coffee in the morning as well, tea just doesn't have the same mix.

I don't drink coffee and even at the end of my college days I surprisingly haven't started still LOL I'm not a big fan of tea either but I've been starting to drink it a bit more and getting used to it. There's so many types of coffee and sometimes it does smell amazing but it's a big no to my taste buds 😭

rgNRIDU_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

My set entire set up (hoping to add a Hario manual grinder and get rid of the cheap Walmart (Hamilton Beach) metal blade grinder). 

JhQMMGd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The end result, awful at taking pictures, the cup is half full, it didn't make THAT little lol. Also, please excuse the paint job back there, whoever painted it before we moved in got spots everywhere. 

Edited by secret_no_03

15 minutes ago, ghost said:

@secret_no_03 - Dang, your coffee game is on the next level!

I'll drink coffee but I'll never crave it. I like my coffee black and dark. I'm always down for a good cup of green or black tea though.

Haha, I wish. Some people who do syphon coffee have set ups that look like a chemistry lab or they're making meth. That pouch is actually roasted green tea (Hojicha) I got a sample of from https://yunomi.life/ which is a small distributor tea farm in Japan that exports every tea you can think of around the world. They sell samples for like $2USD (you're just paying shipping basically).