AnchuAnchor

How many of you are/were in a band or solo artists?

Me and some friends are starting up one for fun called 紫苑/Shion. We only have a bassist, guitarist and violinist (me). So far we're just planning some covers to show our general skills, and when we have the remaining musicians needed for a real band we plan to actually do something.

From 2007 to 2011 I played guitar in the band Dark Cherry, formed by a group of friends. We made kinda poppy emo/alternative rock/metal with electronic elements (implicitly influenced a bit by D'espairsRay, Abingdon Boys School, L'Arc and stuff like that). Home-recorded a bunch of crappy sounding demos, studio-recorded two better sounding singles and played a few dozen gigs mostly locally, it was fun.

From 2006 to this day I'm in a hobby/"just for fun" music project with my vocalist friend (who is also ex-Dark Cherry) under the alias The 21st Cherry Boys (the name came from BUCK-TICK's song, lol), or T21CB for short. We record stuff at home, in totally random styles that come to our mind at the moment. But usually it's some kind of silly weird pop/rock music coupled with electronics (for a while a friend of ours joined too, he played the cajon). We're doing a 12-month single release campaign this year, tho dunno how far we'll get due to the virus scare, lol.

We also had a short-lived project Sunshine Demons with the guitarist cousin of said vocalist friend. We recorded an EP in 2012, kind of a mixture of punk, post-hardcore and pop-rock. We also have an album's worth of unreleased and mostly unfinished tracks recorded during 2018-2019, which we are slowwwwwly working on getting finalized. So far it seems like it will have somewhat of a Latin flair in the music, and it will be a concept record telling a story about cowboys, crime, ghosts, revenge,...stuff like that, lol.

From 2007-ish onwards I'm also doing some solo stuff here and there under the name JigsawJohnny, but I'm super lazy so I haven't recorded that much music. Genres range from noise, industrial to hardcore, death metal, post-punk, whatever I feel like. My latest release was a dark ambient record with a dystopian cyberpunk concept last Halloween.

Most of the music that isn't totally terrible to listen to for even those involved can be found on Bandcamp.

Edited by Jigsaw9

I was in a few local bands and some of our sets got decent turnouts (bare in mind we lived in a small city) but I was always late to join bands so I could never really make their sound my own. The best group I was in was called 'Flock North' and we played political fuelled rock...I had no interest in politics so it was a bit like how The Smiths sang about meat being murder but Morrisey was the only vegetarian.

As for now I'm a small time hobbyist producing lofi hip hop and Breakcore although I did have a breakcore track released on a compilation a few years ago which is my crowning achievement. I'm trying to incorporate VK somehow but I'm still finding the best way to do it.

When I was  15 me and some friends from school would hire a studio on weekends and jam. I played bass back then and I also performed at the Japanese summer fest at school with another friend who played guitar and this girl who could fluently sing in Japanese. It was all for fun, I'm not one bit musically talented :D 

I've been in a mess of bands since I was like 15 or so (at least when it comes to recorded material - probably countless more that never really did much of anything).

Was in this band for most of my teenage years/very early 20s (metalcore/post-hardcore, I guess?) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vONb1m3vF7M

Started this band after that...(atmospheric screamo) - 

https://barrowband.bandcamp.com/

Played in these bands for a little while - 

https://officialweathered.bandcamp.com/ (shoegaze-influenced emo)

https://youfolk.bandcamp.com/ (kinda psychedelic-influenced emo/alternative?)

And now I'm in this band (chaotic metal/hardcore) - 

https://rottingindirt.bandcamp.com/

I definitely miss my younger days of touring and being kind of a careless idiot, but being older and more "stable" has its perks, too, I guess. Music has always been my most consistent outlet and the one thing I used to "define" myself for the better part of my life. I feel a bit more disconnected from it now, but being able to do anything at this point feels positive, whether it's recording new stuff or playing a random local show when time permits. Haven't really ever made any money off of it, at least not in any profitable capacity, so I can't much call it a career, but the length of my involvement with it sort of makes it feel like that.

9 hours ago, nomemorial said:

I've been in a mess of bands since I was like 15 or so (at least when it comes to recorded material - probably countless more that never really did much of anything).

Was in this band for most of my teenage years/very early 20s (metalcore/post-hardcore, I guess?) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vONb1m3vF7M

Started this band after that...(atmospheric screamo) - 

https://barrowband.bandcamp.com/

Played in these bands for a little while - 

https://officialweathered.bandcamp.com/ (shoegaze-influenced emo)

https://youfolk.bandcamp.com/ (kinda psychedelic-influenced emo/alternative?)

And now I'm in this band (chaotic metal/hardcore) - 

https://rottingindirt.bandcamp.com/

I definitely miss my younger days of touring and being kind of a careless idiot, but being older and more "stable" has its perks, too, I guess. Music has always been my most consistent outlet and the one thing I used to "define" myself for the better part of my life. I feel a bit more disconnected from it now, but being able to do anything at this point feels positive, whether it's recording new stuff or playing a random local show when time permits. Haven't really ever made any money off of it, at least not in any profitable capacity, so I can't much call it a career, but the length of my involvement with it sort of makes it feel like that.

Thanks for the links. Not gonna lie I admire your work alot and I'm looking for a rip of your first ep, it sounds amazing. I'm also gonna listen to your latest band for a while because I can't decide whether or not to support you

15 hours ago, Fyrnia4Maya said:

Thanks for the links. Not gonna lie I admire your work alot and I'm looking for a rip of your first ep, it sounds amazing. I'm also gonna listen to your latest band for a while because I can't decide whether or not to support you

Thank you so much for listening and for the kind words! I have no clue where that EP even exists, if I'm being honest (I don't even know who the person who put it on YouTube is hahahaha), but if I ever track it down I'll gladly let you know when it hits the web. Thanks again!! :D

28 minutes ago, nomemorial said:

Thank you so much for listening and for the kind words! I have no clue where that EP even exists, if I'm being honest (I don't even know who the person who put it on YouTube is hahahaha), but if I ever track it down I'll gladly let you know when it hits the web. Thanks again!! :D

I found it already on Facebook!!!!!!!! I'd say your career is as legit as say nazares, even if your budget and audience are smaller, you make alot of good quality content and have many albums under your belt, in fact I was thinking of asking if you were lying about being on the bands, it's pretty insane and a career isn't really validated by economic success I believe. Just so you know I will be rocking your ep for some time this quarantine, so you made me very happy and I think you can make many others happy too, you have power

25 minutes ago, Fyrnia4Maya said:

I found it already on Facebook!!!!!!!! I'd say your career is as legit as say nazares, even if your budget and audience are smaller, you make alot of good quality content and have many albums under your belt, in fact I was thinking of asking if you were lying about being on the bands, it's pretty insane and a career isn't really validated by economic success I believe. Just so you know I will be rocking your ep for some time this quarantine, so you made me very happy and I think you can make many others happy too, you have power

You're one step ahead of me, hahaha - just tracked it down in the same place. This made my day!! Thank you!! :)

I was listening to some of you guys' works and it's soo good. Keep it coming.

Meanwhile I played one (1) anison on a recorder for school when I was 13

I've been playing guitar in a band for a few years. Last year was the first time I've ever recorded in a studio so I was over the moon.

2 hours ago, benzaiten._ said:

I'm actually lead vocalist/screamer in a metalcore band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWFYsAt9ykc

Also used to be the bassist/vocalist in a short-lived math-rockish emo band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abcUCKC01IM

It would be cool to see more projects from the members here!

Credit where credit is due, your vocals (both clean and scream) as well as the band are pretty good!

I'm in a thrash metal/crossover/punk/hip hop group with a friend. We just do whatever we feel like no matter the genre.

In a hip hop group with said friend.

I produce hip hop beats for myself, said friend, and others who wants them.

I got an electronic project going on. Hilarious shit where I make everything from electro pop to chiptunes to weird danseband/polka/inspired electronica. It's closely tied to said friend's electronic project. We also have a web series connected to this. LMFAO

I also have a project going where I make music inspired by danseband and polka. Closely tied to said friend's project of same style. It's hilarious.

All for fun. Don't expect to get any fans, make any money or anything. We're just having loads and loads of fun with these things, drinking, recording, creating and imagining every now and then. It's all for fun, and we're both loving it.

Edited by Bear

I've never been in a band (too introverted I guess), but I've recently improved a lot as a visual kei (style) vocalist and have been singing VK casually for about 7 years and have become a bit more serious about it only since the past year. If anyone wants to hear me you can DM me and I can show you some of my cover stuff. You can also find one of my uploads of me singing on my YT channel which you can find easily through my sig. 

But I'd also like to say I'd really love to meet other VK style singers because there are very few of us out there, and I think it's very special. Although I know that there's probably a bit of stigma to westerners singing VK. I think I have the vocal style down. Maybe I can collab with someone some time.

But yeah -- if you're a fellow VK style singer I'd love to hear you or get to meet you. Feel free to DM me. 

Edited by shiroihana

I was a support guitarist in a extremely obscure English band called "lost without cause" I enjoy songs with melodic beats that never gets old but also makes you discover another layer within that song and Ofc with awesome lyrics 

Other then that I was in other session bands as a  keyboardist bass and guitar but I left all of them because I really didn't like the music style and got kicked out, meh it was

Too edgy, repetitive, simple

Then I started a small town band "Simple Creed" with a  close friend after a couple lp's which we thought were awesome with a unique style but just a year later we disbanded cause we just did it for fun. 

We mainly used rock, hip hop, orchestral, and the lyrical aspect for a song sometimes were like a slow rap ballad, sometimes just outright fast paced awesomeness 

It was easy because the first record we made we had our entire lives to prepare for and choosing bandmates wasent easy me and my friend wanted like minded people which was extremely hard 

Theres a relief finding people you expect from life coming naturally and not altering them yourself

We had a boy and girl vocalist, man that brings alot of memories

I played as a guitarist in different bands since I was about 13 years old. When I was around 20 I used to be in a western J-Rock band for a couple of years.  We played a few dozen shows, wrote around 20 songs and released an EP during that time. After we broke up, I formed an electro-metalcore band which was around for 5 years, playing shows and releasing a few CD's before eventually breaking up. Now I am basically a little burned out and fed up from the whole "band" lifestyle, the constant rehearsals and playing in front of little to no people. Playing and writing music was always a good outlet for me to balance my mind. Instead, these days I mostly focus on working out and increasing my obsession with Dir en grey. 

Edited by TheTrendkiller

On 12/5/2020 at 10:24 PM, TheTrendkiller said:

I expected this to suck but it's actually pretty damn good. Big thumbs up 

Why did you expect it to suck?