Youko_o

Old visual kei fan wanting to come back to the scene

Hello there, folks.

Between 2010 and 2014 most of the music I listened to was Japanese, especially visual kei. After some time I started diving into metalcore, and now my favorite genre is prog metalcore, my favorite bands are Trivium (this one isn't prog but I love them since 2014), Northlane, Periphery, Polaris etc.

But in the last days I have been revisiting some songs from D'espairsRay and -OZ- and I wondered what new visual kei bands would please my ears. I want you guys to fill me in the new visual kei metal bands. Back in the day my favorite band was DELUHI (I still hold them dearly!), and I also liked very much D'Ray, which I already mentioned, ALSDEAD (but nowadays I think they were kinda bad musicians haha), BORN (same as ALSDEAD...), the GazettE (I still like them), GALEYD (still like them), the more metalcore-ish phase of girugämesh, some of lynch., MEJIBRAY, some DEATHGAZE tunes... Well, I think that right now you  guys know what is the type of music I like. Please let me know what is hot right now! 

Welcome back!
The most obvious recommendation for you would of course be DIR EN GREY. If you are more into the metal than start with their THE MARROW OF THE BONE era.

Also MUCC would be your kind of tea but their discography is huge and it's hard to overview it. Start with the classic Homura Uta album for some great tunes.

One of the most hyped bands here in the last years were DIMLIM. They released a banger with their CHEDOARA album. But they kinda lost the track and their new album is ahem different..

A band which is also on the run at the moment are Kizu (キズ). They have a great mix between some core elements and crazy other stuff.

If you were into BORN I would recommend you gulu gulu. They are kinda new to the scene (in this formation) but they generated some hype.

If you want to follow up the DEATHGAZE, AI has a new band called DARRELL.

Hope there is something for you. :)

Btw how do you like the new Trivium songs?

Edited by Demivee

17 hours ago, ghostpepper said:

Honestly not into any new bands but Jiluka maybe will tickle your fancy!

I think they were already around when I stopped caring about vk, and I didn't like them very much back then. But might give them a new shot.

6 hours ago, Demivee said:

Welcome back!
The most obvious recommendation for you would of course be DIR EN GREY. If you are more into the metal than start with their THE MARROW OF THE BONE era.

Also MUCC would be your kind of tea but their discography is huge and it's hard to overview it. Start with the classic Homura Uta album for some great tunes.

One of the most hyped bands here in the last years were DIMLIM. They released a banger with their CHEDOARA album. But they kinda lost the track and their new album is ahem different..

A band which is also on the run at the moment are Kizu (キズ). They have a great mix between some core elements and crazy other stuff.

If you were into BORN I would recommend you gulu gulu. They are kinda new to the scene (in this formation) but they generated some hype.

If you want to follow up the DEATHGAZE, AI has a new band called DARRELL.

Hope there is something for you. :)

Btw how do you like the new Trivium songs?

Thank you! I forgot to say that I like Diru very much, some days ago I was listening to DUM SPIRO SPERO and thinking "wow, this guys are really so good, how come I haven't listened to this album in such a long time?".

I think I tried some MUCC back in the day and I only listened to their softer songs. If they have anything heavy, I might go after it.

For the other bands, thank you very much for the recommendations, I will try to look them all up.

About new Trivium songs: when they released Catastrophist my first impression was of a weak song with songwriting between SITS and TSATS. Good drumming and some nice riffs, but still kinda boneless like the whole SITS album. Then I listened to it again and again and it grew on me. I know think it is very good and much better than SITS, but still something is missing. And just the same with the last single they put out. I guess it will be a good album overall, just not one of the best like Ascendancy, Shogun and The Sin and the Sentence.

3 hours ago, lichtlune said:

I think you would like heavier DADAROMA tbh. 

Imagine if all their songs were like this and Oboreru Sakana. I'm so salty that they wasted their potential making ridiculous Circus Kei. 

Edited by Dxrk1sm

On 3/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, Youko_o said:

I think I tried some MUCC back in the day and I only listened to their softer songs. If they have anything heavy, I might go after it.