Sign in to follow this  
plastic_rainbow

Looking for feedback on our prototype horror game

Hey all, I'm looking for feedback on our prototype horror game. We're aware that it still needs A LOT of fixing and there's not a whole lot going on, but we're only uni students and this is 5-6 weeks worth of work only. Still we're heading into beta playtesting and would appreciate any kind of feedback we can get, from bug/glitches to what you would like to see more in the game, etc. Don't be afraid to be harsh, but please be reasonable! We constructed the game in first-person using the game engine Unity. The controls are simple: use the mouse to look around, left-click to inspect, and wasd or arrow keys to move. Our final deadline to submit the project is about a week from now, Sunday the 22nd, so it would be great if you could give any responses as soon as you can. Thanks!

Download and Play

Once the file is extracted open the Ash_Street application to play.

Some things to consider as you play (you'll fill out a survey answering these):

1. What do you think was successful about this game? List anything you liked and why.

2. What did you not like about this game? List anything and what you would change.

3. In your opinion, what type of genre would this fall under? Did it hit the mark or what could improve the theme for this type of game?

4. Feel free to list any other additional feedback and comments.

It will help us a lot if you fill out this survey as well. Thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------

We just wrapped up our project, thank you to those who played and gave us feedback! Down below is a link to the final build of the game (or the Gold Master), so check it out if you would like to see how it turned out! ^^

Final Build (Gold Master)

Edited by plastic_rainbow

Hey! My gf and I checked it out. 

The overall game  feels somewhat bare-bones,  but in general the atmosphere it presents does work. I personally liked the way the room with the spiral staircase looked the most, as it kind of has a dreamlike atmosphere to it with the lighting and all that. My two biggest gripes atm are that the time limit in its current form seems to be a bit TOO strict (at first I already managed to run out of time while I was still trying to explore the different corners of the ''starting'' hallway!) and secondly that once you pass through this stone gate and climb up the staircase it kind of becomes really unclear where you're supposed to go/what you're supposed to do. 

Here's a couple more of our thoughts, hopefully they're not too nitpicky, just tried to be thorough wherever possible:

- Opening text seems to be in need of some minor editing. We're both non-native speakers so maybe we're off on this entirely but it felt to me like there are some commas missing here and there within the story text.

- The room lighting in the opening area seems ''off'' somehow on the part of the wall near the newspaper clipping (the wall tile with the crack on it). That particular wall seems to be a lot brighter than the other areas around it, but the rest of the wall's lighting kinda feels like it 'flows' together into each other pretty well (if that makes any sense), making that one brighter spot kind of stand out in an unnatural way

- Are both those 2 reddish objects supposed to be collected in order to make the wall in the staircase room come down? During some runs I collected both of 'em, during others I collected neither of 'em and during one run I only managed to collected one of 'em cuz it wouldn't let me pick up the other  but each time the wall would come down anyway (or would already be down by the time I made it into the staircase room)

- Talking about that same wall in the staircase room, even after it's gone all the way down standing where it was originally supposed to be still brings up a ''Push'' prompt that doesn't do anything anymore

- Weird interaction in the upstairs room following the staircase area: there's a wall that seems to have white light of some sort coming out from underneath it. During some runs I was able to somehow pass through and it opened up into another area, but during others nothing happened and I ended up running out of time instead while trying to figure out how i managed to get through lol.

- Gf: It might look cooler if the ghostly apparitions would be slightly more animated than they are now (even if it's just lightly hovering up or down) 

- Gf: The walls in some areas (most notably the upstairs area after you climb the spiral staircase) appear to be floating in midair instead of actually being attached to the floor 

- Gf: The carpet texture on the  floor in the starting area kind of looks awkward in its current state, there are ways to make it look less like they're separate squares of carpet and more like it's one long connected piece 

Hope this somewhat helps!

Yeah, I kinda figured as much but I figured I'd just mention everything that came to mind just in case :P 

Game made me realize another thing as well, which is that for some reason it feels like my laptop has like a 50/50 chance of either properly running Unity-based games the way they're supposed to and making them feel like a semi-slideshow and I still haven't figured out why (presumably the answer is just that my laptop sucks lol)

Yeah, I'm not sure what the recommended specs are on this, I haven't tested it out on a laptop lol. But if you have a desktop the better.

if anyone's still interested, we got a new playable build now! (updated link on op) lots of changes have been made to the environment and it's really coming along now!

edit: Beta Build v3 is up

Sign in to follow this