Sign in to follow this  
Insomniac Dozer

Lurk No More

I haven't used a forum like this so long and nostalgia is just rushing through me.

Hi! My name's Jake, if we're doing that kind of introduction. I build car washes and, at night, dry my tears with my bachelor's degree in writing while bingewatching horror franchises; in case you're curious, Nightmare on Elm Street is by far the best franchise to watch front-to-back. Pleased to meet y'all.

I've been lurking here for a little while because I'm a big fan of Sukekiyo and there's very little discussion of them on the English-speaking web. I'm also a big fan of Dir En Grey (SO GOOD when I saw them in December,) Envy (@my username - seen them twice & their new album is shockingly good,) plus a bunch of different stuff primarily in the indie, emo, and metal orbit. My VK/J-Rock cred is pretty low, but I used to be obsessed with Deluhi years ago because I was majorly into Galneryus so... There's that at least.

Another reason I joined was because I've been learning Bass recently and - while getting into bands like MUCC, Kannivalism, Suspended 4th, Tricot, and 9GOATS BLACK OUT - I've realized how much more interesting Bass in J-Rock is than it typically is in the West. Listening to stuff like this is really inspiring while struggling to learn an instrument, so I'm trying to see what other bands are out there. This seems like a good place to browse for that purpose, so... Hi!

Welcome! I too have a (tentative) degree in writing which may or may not prove to be of any use other than to dry one’s tears while disparaging. I also like horror! I used to be into Nightmare on Elm Street as a kid but I haven’t watched any of them in a long time. I remember the remake from some years back not being any good...

Have you seen Underwater?

Thanks! Good luck with the writing degree - your success depends on how you choose to use it! The Nightmare series is worth revisiting imo - liked them as a kid, loved them as an adult for their practical effects and imaginative design. 

I've not seen Underwater yet - I've heard very mixed things about it so I'm definitely interested in seeing it for myself. I need to catch up on horror that's come out the last few years, the most recent one I've seen the blew me away was Hereditary. 

Underwater was pretty good - it's nothing revolutionary or groundbreaking, but it's definitely a lot of fun. I really liked Hereditary too! If you haven't seen Midsommar yet, you should check that out. Same director.

Midsommar was pretty good; it felt so much like a brighter and more folk-y Hereditary so it didn't do as much for me. Just kind of left me with this feeling that is was Hereditary: Spring Break Edition. Very impressive cinematography though, and the psychedelic editing is so cool!

Edited by Insomniac Dozer
Forgot a single clause

I'll tell you this: if you're looking for some funky fresh bass in your j-music you oughta look more into cali≠gari's discography if you haven't already (it helps that  they're simply a very good band in general)

5 hours ago, Insomniac Dozer said:

Midsommar was pretty good; it felt so much like a brighter and more folk-y Hereditary so it didn't do as much for me. Just kind of left me with this feeling that is was Hereditary: Spring Break Edition. Very impressive cinematography though, and the psychedelic editing is so cool!

Yeah, that's a fair assessment of Midsommar. It was very bright and did some interesting things with daylight shots whereas Hereditary was quite dark and worked more with nighttime shots. The latter was superior in my opinion as well. But, I enjoyed both. Actually, the brightness in Midsommar stood out to me as pretty unique because it's rare for a horror movie to have so much daylight.

3 hours ago, Tokage said:

I'll tell you this: if you're looking for some funky fresh bass in your j-music you oughta look more into cali≠gari's discography if you haven't already (it helps that  they're simply a very good band in general)

Seconded. And their name is in reference to a silent horror film from the 1920s, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari!

Edited by zzzzkn

Ya, Midsommar had a great and unique aesthetic to it - something about it just didn't land with me. I actually watched it before Hereditary and, upon watching the latter, I felt that disconnect with Midsommar even more; that said, I probably owe Midsommar a rewatch after watching his previous film.

7 hours ago, Tokage said:

Noted, thank you very much for the recommendation! I haven't heard of them, but it looks like their discography has a lot of material to work with. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for - I'll check them out when I get a chance to sit at my computer.

5 hours ago, Insomniac Dozer said:

Noted, thank you very much for the recommendation! I haven't heard of them, but it looks like their discography has a lot of material to work with. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for - I'll check them out when I get a chance to sit at my computer.

Yeah their discography is huge. I think 第7実験室 is a good starting point personally.

8 hours ago, zzzzkn said:

Yeah their discography is huge. I think 第7実験室 is a good starting point personally.

I'd suggest  第7 as well, I think 第5 or 第6 would work well too. The band  had a different vocalist on Dai 5 but it's still a very good album overall 

7 hours ago, Tokage said:

I'd suggest  第7 as well, I think 第5 or 第6 would work well too. The band  had a different vocalist on Dai 5 but it's still a very good album overall 

Yeah, they're all good. 第6 was the first one I got into but I think 第7 may be more accessible.

12 hours ago, Tokage said:

I've been listening to Dai 7 today and it's nuts, thanks again for the rec! Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, the Bass is mindblowing and I really dig their songwriting. Crazy how futuristic it sounds despite being almost 20 years old. I'll probably try 5 next, my cursory research tells me that 7 is relatively "mainstream" for them which, again, is kind of mindblowing.

8 hours ago, Insomniac Dozer said:

I've been listening to Dai 7 today and it's nuts, thanks again for the rec!

You also might want to check out goatbed sometime. Same vocalist but a more electronic sound.

Sign in to follow this