Kiryu999

NEGA one-day revival

ughhh fuck me i wish they would've announced this sooner. there's no way i'll be able to make it with less than 2 months left ;__;

4 hours ago, Himeaimichu said:

But without Kisaki

Kisaki still talk nowadays with Matoi, JUN and Riku on Twitter, obviously we don't know if him and Iori have a friendly relationship.

It would still be a good opportunity to make easy money considering that they could very well fill the Zepp Tokyo (2000 people)

5 hours ago, Serox said:

Kisaki still talk nowadays with Matoi, JUN and Riku on Twitter, obviously we don't know if him and Iori have a friendly relationship.

It would still be a good opportunity to make easy money considering that they could very well fill the Zepp Tokyo (2000 people)

I'd rather see someone else play bass in a Phantasmagoria revival knowing the shit he pulled

This band sucks so much dick. 

"Nega" is your typical mediocre mid-2000's VK band that thought aping Dir en grey was a good idea. They're second-rate. I put them a step below Sadie and 12012 in terms of unoriginal cringe; but it's close.

Edited by geist
autismo supremo

1 hour ago, geist said:

This band sucks so much dick. 

"Nega" is your typical mediocre mid-2000's VK band that thought aping Dir en grey was a good idea. They're second-rate. I put them a step below Sadie and 12012 in terms of unoriginal cringe; but it's close.

Nah Nega is not really similar to dir en grey at all other than having some heavy songs... 

17 minutes ago, lichtlune said:

Nah Nega is not really similar to dir en grey at all other than having some heavy songs... 

Bullshit. Nega is basic and bland compared to Dir en grey, sure; but their vocalist sure loved copying Kyo when he started incorporating a low-rent version of his high screams. 

Like I said, not nearly as unoriginal as Mao or Wataru; but derivative nonetheless. 

Calling them a deg knock-off because Jin started screaming 2/3rds into their career is a bit of a stretch. Not even the DSS prog aspirations of like one song the last album really cut it for such a label. 

Early Nega is quintessential UCP sounding stuff that was musically going along the same broad strokes vk was in general at that time. Deg doesn't have the trade mark on screams, growls and chugs when you can find that in vk from like 2000 onwards, or 2001 in this case since Ray was already ripping off Slipknot by that time while the boys in Dir en grey were still dressed in drag. 

7 minutes ago, Disposable said:

Jin started screaming 2/3rds into their career

That's the entire crux of my argument. Let's stop pretending that band's didn't see what Dir en grey were doing in the mid-to-late-2000's and didn't rush to emulate their style. Some bands switched to 7 string guitars (lynch), some bands were direct copies (Sadie, 12012), some bands copied the vocal styles of Kyo (Nega, Rentrer en soi).

The fact is, bands made sudden stylistic shifts when Dir en grey started getting (minimal) international recognition and it's obvious. You were around (I assume), I was around -- we all saw it in real time.

Edited by geist
autism

Imo the quickest solution to this problem of whether X band copied Dir en grey or not is to think that, although Dir was, proofly, one the few projects that had the power to mark the aesthetics of a whole scene for almost a decade, that doesn't mean that the other bands in it copied them. At least, not in the case of Nega and Sadie (I won't speak so much for 12012 and ReS because I haven't listened enough to them to judge); they don't have any song like sounds identical to a Dir song (that actually screams plagiarism, like Grieva's, for example); in the other hand, part of their setlist incorporates aesthetics Dir doesn't  (for example, the draggy outfits of Nega, or the hard J-pop-driven sound of Sadie's chorus-centered songs). That said, that this bands listened at least a bit of Dir back in the time is an obvious fact provided by their level of historic relevance for VK, but I won't assume by it things like Nega or Sadie decided to go nu-metal/metalcore because of Dir, or even they actually loved Dir and looked up at them... Aside from obvious things that scream admiration like Mao's vocal inflections, I'll think that they perhaps made some aesthetic decisions after listening to Dir's output at the time, otherwise we'll have to interview the members to get their words on this to fully confirm that hardcore inspiration. 

Edited by saiko

8 hours ago, geist said:

That's the entire crux of my argument. Let's stop pretending that band's didn't see what Dir en grey were doing in the mid-to-late-2000's and didn't rush to emulate their style. Some bands switched to 7 string guitars (lynch), some bands were direct copies (Sadie, 12012), some bands copied the vocal styles of Kyo (Nega, Rentrer en soi).

The fact is, bands made sudden stylistic shifts when Dir en grey started getting (minimal) international recognition and it's obvious. You were around (I assume), I was around -- we all saw it in real time.

papa kaoru ain't handing out blowies for internet arguments dove, u need to come with the cash x

8 hours ago, geist said:

some bands copied the vocal styles of Kyo (Nega, Rentrer en soi).

kyo is literally credited as a vocal coach on 2005 —> RES sangs 😕 

Edited by nekkichi

7 hours ago, nekkichi said:

papa kaoru ain't handing out blowies for internet arguments dove, u need to come with the cash x

Don’t you worry my little babushka, I’ve got plenty of cash to spend 😘

18 hours ago, Himeaimichu said:

I'd rather see someone else play bass in a Phantasmagoria revival knowing the shit he pulled

I understand your hatred for him, he is a shit in person but it is impossible not to admit that he is a very good musician and bass player.

16 hours ago, saiko said:

At least, not in the case of Nega and Sadie (I won't speak so much for 12012 and ReS because I haven't listened enough to them to judge); they don't have any song like sounds identical to a Dir song (that actually screams plagiarism, like Grieva's, for example); in the other hand, part of their setlist incorporates aesthetics Dir doesn't  (for example, the draggy outfits of Nega, or the hard J-pop-driven sound of Sadie's chorus-centered songs).

I suggest you listen to more Sadie then because the imitation is clear if you know what you’re listening for. Take Sadie’s “Rosario”, for example. Not only do you have Mao poorly imitating Kyo’s style, but even the set up to the chorus — and the harmony between singing and harsh vocals in the chorus — is a direct imitation of Different Sense. Different songs and keys? Sure; but the way that chorus is set up and the chorus itself is self-evidently copying Dir en grey. I’m speaking about musical form here, not about the specific notes being played. The songs are not similar in terms of notes played; but in terms of the songs structure, there are specific things going on which show themselves to be imitation. 

To top it all off, you even have Mao wearing gear reminiscent of Kyo’s obscure outfit in the PV. The imitation is evident. 

I remember when Rosario came out everyone here lost their shit over how it sounded like a weak Dir en grey knock off. 

Furthermore, what you described as Sadie’s “j-pop driven sound” legitimately describes every single VK band INCLUDING Dir en grey. That’s not a quality I’d ever consider unique to any band, let alone Dir en grey. So yes, you can draw a comparison between the two in that regard; but that’s not Sadie ripping off Dir en grey, that’s just a VK convention. 

Edited by geist
Autism