BrenGun

NON-VK ROCK/PUNK bands. (active bands only)

Outstanding amazing underground Metal Bands are also welcome.

Currently I'm searching for outstanding great NON-VISUAL KEI ROCK and PUNK bands.
Whenever a band made a come back after years being inactive or coming back for giving live shows in a while just as TH eROCKERS do, but also THE MINKS made their comeback recently.

I'm looking for bands who are outstanding, having a real good sound, something easy to like, something special. 

Whenever they are already in their 50ties or 60ties or even 70ties. As long they play with the heart I wanna know them

Of course, please only ACTIVE bands.

Currently a few amazing names;
THE DOGGY PADDLE

I truly love them, vocalist sings from the bottom of his heart, while the others play their instrument truly to fit the vocalist voice in perfection, definitely check their youtube channel for more. The guys are 31 and 32 years old and already around for about 10 years. And absolute amazing to see live. In those 10 years the guys really gained a bunch of fans and they are getting more and more popular. 

Other bands are:
TH eROCKERS
THE MINKS
moll

THE BILLYYARDS
THE STARCLUB
亜無亜危異
VERTUEUX
ザ・ナイト・パイレーツ (The Night pirates)
水口晴幸 (He is in different kind of projects) http://pitpirockway.com/
RAMA AMOEBA 

WOLF & THE GOOODFELLAS
MMS R&R ENGINEERING  (went to America 2 times.)
COOKAI
THE VACK’S  (The vocalist is like a dad for me, haha.)
スネメガマフィー
BELLMONDO
THE HIGH GRIP
レーザービーム (LASER BEAM) [LOUD MUSIC, but the best!]

THE REWARD
フルダヌキ
BILLY THE KID
PUNIK
GUITAR WOLF 

And plenty more...

@CAT5

@robkun

@Tokage

@Jigsaw9 
Maybe you guys can plop in a few?

Also loving these guys

Coming back with a new album and going on tour again after almost 40 years...
They only existed for 3 years in the early 80ties...
(somehow many bands who formed in the 80ties only existed for a few years, gotten popular crazy fast and then also disbanding fast.... yet most people still make music until today)

And just found this band

Also fit's in my taste...

damn gotta add this oldie to the list too, still active :3 

Edited by BrenGun

Let me take a moment to drop my fave workaholic singer-songwriter rocker Kenichi Asai here, he needs more love!!!

Even though you could say his stuff has become "predictable", it's a comfortable sound for me.

Spoiler

He'll always be the coolest (non-VK musician) to me.

36 minutes ago, Jigsaw9 said:

Let me take a moment to drop my fave workaholic singer-songwriter rocker Kenichi Asai here, he needs more love!!!

Even though you could say his stuff has become "predictable", it's a comfortable sound for me.

He'll always be the coolest (non-VK musician) to me.

Yes, he should not be forgotten, however I like Black Jet City more than his current projects. Somehow his current projects are lacking something for me.

Still not bad tho (^_^) But maybe it's also because BJC musicians truly hit the melody to his voice perfectly. While maybe his new works focus lies a lot on the female drummer too.  (currently he is most active solo and as 浅井健一&THE INTERCHANGE KILLS)

Edited by BrenGun

I'll dump a bunch of bands across the rock/punk spectrum. Starting off with バックドロップシンデレラ. They've been around since at least 2006 or so. Their music's mostly pretty energetic rock w/ folk influences. Seems like the type of 'party' band that would do well at festivals. At times they kind of remind me of MERRY or some angura kei stuff. They've dropped at least 7 full-length albums, a cover album, 5 mini-albums, a greatest hits album and a handful of singles over their entire career so they're quite productive. I 've listened to pretty much everything spanning from their 3rd album up to their 7th one and pretty much enjoyed all of 'em to varying degrees. I do feel like some of their newer stuff feels a bit more generic than their older material, but they still manage to deliver some fun tunes

Samples:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Tokage said:

I'll dump a bunch of bands across the rock/punk spectrum. Starting off with バックドロップシンデレラ. They've been around since at least 2006 or so. Their music's mostly pretty energetic rock w/ folk influences. Seems like the type of 'party' band that would do well at festivals. At times they kind of remind me of MERRY or some angura kei stuff. They've dropped at least 7 full-length albums, a cover album, 5 mini-albums, a greatest hits album and a handful of singles over their entire career so they're quite productive. I 've listened to pretty much everything spanning from their 3rd album up to their 7th one and pretty much enjoyed all of 'em to varying degrees. I do feel like some of their newer stuff feels a bit more generic than their older material, but they still manage to deliver some fun tunes

Vocalist movements reminds me of a different vocalist, don't know straight away who.

New and old tunes, it's a nice band, they didn't blow me away, (I'm sure you already guessed that)

But they are a good rock band which people can easy like.

Everybody should check this band out, and if it's possible and if you have the time/money... go to one of their lives 100%. You return back home with some goods and a cd for sure... 

Thanks for sharing!

I thinks this song you shared could even be a vkei song

Spoiler

Kokeshi Doll from Hokkaido is active again now but play rarely, so if you ever get a chance to see them be sure to!

One of the most amazing bands I have seen live, the recordings of their music do not do them justice at all.

At gigs the singer/guitarist is like some flame of aura spewing godliness!

Tsushimamire is always a great band to check out live as well,plus they are super nice people.

warning: this song will be stuck in yo head!

I'm not good with genres and technicalities so forgive me if some of these are outside your field, going through my library for Japanese rock that's not tagged with visual-kei.

[Alexandros]
The Birthday
coldrain

Crossfaith
Flumpool
Frederic
Gackt
Hyde
ikimono gakari
m:a.ture
MAN WITH A MISSION
Miyavi
Nishikawa Takanori
Noisycell
OLDCODEX
Polkadot Stingray
Sakanaction
Sawano Hiroyuki
Sever Black Paranoia
SiM (Silence iz Mine)
SPYAIR
Superfly
Survive Said The Prophect
Kobayashi Taro
UVERworld

A lot of these I'm sure are going to fall outside the criteria, but I'm hoping at least one or two work. I reckon The Birthday's probably the best bet.

@NICKT

The Birthday?? can you share a MV? The only the birthday I know is a visualkei band (^^; and the name is too common.

the rest I check later, ,

coldrain, crossfaith, SiM also fits in, but they don't make the type of music I really search for. but really great bands, who also have many overseas fans.  

But gonna check the rest~ 

EDIT: @NICKT
Went though everything.

[Alexandros], Flumpool, Frederic, m:a.ture, SPYAIR, Survive Said The Prophet  I don't like this type of rock that much, it's good, just can't get into the vocalist voice, somehow it sounds too sweet. 

Gackt Hyde, Miyavi
Both vk and non vkei, depends very. I prefer GACKT over Hyde a lot.
However I never liked Miyavi, he is a great guitarist, but singer.. not a tall.

ikimono gakari,Superfly; is more pop rock, nice band if you love Japanese pop.

MAN WITH A MISSION: already know them, but they don't stand out enough to keep my attention, however they make good music.

Nishikawa Takanori: I really love his voice. But his style of making music is not the music I actually looking for. But he surly is an artist we never should forget. I respect him a lot.

Noisycell: Lot's of covers on their youtube. Don't know what to feel after also checked their own songs... Not band not good ether. 

OLDCODEX Not the type of rock I looking for, but for what they are doing they really are amazing!

Spoiler

Polkadot Stingray: female vocalist, sounds nice, but it's much much poppy. But recommend for those who love poprock! 

サカナクション  already long disbanded... made the typical poppy rock of that time

Sever Black Paranoia - Not the type of music I'm looking for, but they doing their job really well. I like it.

Spoiler

Kobayashi Taro: Ah someone who sings lot's of anime songs. Nice, but it's not what I am looking for. but will keep an eye on it.

UVERworld: Not the type of rock I am really looking for, but they are still going on band and are still very very popular in Japan. Also ex-KLACK vocalist U totally is in love with this band 😛 

But you really shared a nice list!

People who like rock with a bit more softy guy voice should really try [Alexandros], Flumpool, Frederic, m:a.ture, SPYAIR, Survive Said The Prophet and UVERworld.

And there also a bunch of more unknown bands who play in this style; for that I recommend

Spoiler

Edited by BrenGun

@BrenGun The Birthday has ex-members from Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, you might know them (the sound is similar too).

It's been a loooong time since I last listened to them, but I always liked this MV:

edit: Almost forgot, Droog were pretty cool back in the day too. Not sure what they're up to nowadays, I stopped following them shortly after they signed to a major label (their style became a bit bland). This one's from their first major release iirc, still good stuff:

Edited by Jigsaw9

MUSHAxKUSHA

These guys have been around since like 1997 apparently (and they're still going!) but seem to have almost no presence overseas whatsoever. I discovered their Myspace by chance at some point in the late '00s and was actually surprised to find they're still around. Their main 'thing' is that they have a dude usually wearing shironuri makeup who's basically just there as a 'dancer' (apparently he's also the lyricist?). A lot of their songs feature keys in some variety and the music occasionally has this kind of 'japanesque' vibe to it.. Not in the sense of "[woodblock sfx] YOOOOO" but when you hear it you'll understand what I mean. Their last couple of releases are available on Bandcamp and some of their more recent videos come with English subtitles so it seems they're trying to reach out more to a western audience these days.

Spoiler

Also @Jigsaw9: Droog vocalist's apparently in this band called Dudes now. Dunno if Droog disbanded somewhere down the line or whatever but yeah.

Edited by Tokage

死ね死ね団 (Shine Shine Dan)

These guys have been around since somewhere in the early 80s. They're definitely certified Punk Grandpas at this point. AFAIK they still occasionally perform live here and there, though it's been AGES since they've had an official release of any sort. Used to be signed to the infamous underground label Nagomu Records until it disintegrated. After that they've sporadically had a handful of releases here and there, mostly in the late '90s and 2000s, including a split album w/ hardcore punk legends QP-CRAZY.  They're a punk band, but sound-wise I'd say that there's definitely crossover appeal for angura fans. Their sound at times has a similar vibe to that of bands like Kyokutou Girlfriend, Merry, 大日本意識革命軍狂暴 and such.

Spoiler

@Jigsaw9 ahh, yes I know The Birthday, they are still active  ^^
Sounds super amazing, perfect melody, and his voice fits it perfectly ❤️ 
https://rockin-blues.com/thebirthday/

ROSSO(ロッソ)Was also a lovely band, included the bassist from Blank yet City. 

I'll check the rest in a bit.

Edit

Droog vocalist is now active in a new band named Dudes and Lüstzöe.
Dudes doesn't sound that bad, but I guess Droog was more likely.
Lüstzöe is just naaa.....can't even call that rock. 

Edited by BrenGun

35 minutes ago, BrenGun said:

Droog vocalist is now active in a new band named Dudes and Lüstzöe.
Dudes doesn't sound that bad, but I guess Droog was more likely.

Hey thanks for that video, I didn't realize Dudes have any music out! His voice is kinda weird in this, different from Droog times... not sure I like ittttt, haha

(and yeah, Lüstzöe is kinda lame)

Edited by Jigsaw9

So I've checked out the other bands you guys pointed at.

FOXPILL CULT - know them. but it's not my cup of tea. But the members are kind and great musicans.

THE NOVEMBERS - beautiful sound, if you like this type of music. They remember me of BORIS.

Unlucky Morpheus - Very great. Why don't more people speak of them here on MH
But are they actually visual kei? or are they also a band who actually don't wanna be called like that?
Surly gonna check them out more often!

Zemeth - Very Melodic Death Metal. Nicely done. 

YAMAGEN'S DEVILELIET  - not bad, but are they actually still active?

Thanks for sharing (^^)

こけしDoll and THE 給料日, not my type of style, but they play their style really good.

MUSHAxKUSHA
I don't know what to feel about this band...
They really super weird...

死ね死ね団 (Shine Shine Dan)
I know them, 
Last year they wanted to be active again.. but something happened to the vocalist and he seems still to be recovering?

And I leave the post with this band

moll

Another band I love

I don't remember if I really saw them live or not.... I saw a bunch of bands that day and also talked a lot with people... 

But bought their 2 albums and some goodies to support them, the guys were super nice, and really rock on stage (^_^) 

Here's a bunch for ya. I loooooooove me some J-punk lol.

New Rote’ka (ニューロティカ)

After 8 years, still my favorite Japanese punk band. Active since 1984. They have a great sense of humor, they kickass, and the singer is a clown! Lol. I actually talked to a few of the band members over the years as well. Ridiculously nice guys.

COBRA

Gods of the Japanese rowdy “oi!” subgenre, COBRA have been punk icons since its formation in 1983. They even had some very unlikely commercial success during the early 1990’s. They’ve been largely on-and-off in terms of activities since 2015 though.

STANCE PUNKS

A bit of a younger band that formed in 1998. Although largely known overseas for doing a song for Soul Eater (which, like many overseas people, is the first time I heard them lol), these guys had some really great stuff. Totally full of the original punk spirit as this video will show ya!

BOMB FACTORY

Around since 1991, unlike most of the other bands on here, it took BOMB FACTORY quite a while to attract a following. About 7 years, to be exact lol. But they’ve since developed a strong underground cult following for their unique blend of punk and harder, semi nu metal elements.

locofrank

Ahh man, these guys are great! Around since 1998, these guys took off like wildfire beginning in the early 2000's, reaching their commercial peak in 2006. They're very melodic, kinda poppy but not really. Pretty much the picture perfect definition of melodic hardcore, since I can't think of any other way to describe them lol.

KIkeiji (奇形児)

These guys... are fuckin' crazy lol. One of the unsung heroes in Japanese noise punk, Kikeiji, which translates loosely to "deformed child", were one of the most unforgiving and brutal sounding bands in the 80s Japanese punk underground. For that reason alone, they attracted a small cult following during their original run from 1982 through 1985. Surprisingly reuniting in 2008, Kikeiji have since been rocking and "wtf"-ing audiences across the underground, and remain certainly one of the most memorable bands to emerge from the 80s Japanese hardcore underground.

FULLTRAP

FULLTRAP are a band that blew up overnight, probably the quickest rising band in terms of popularity on this list. Around primarily from 1998 through 2003, their sound was a blistering blend of hardcore punk and thrash. The guys have been semi-active once more as of 2014, however, playing one live that year, and another live in June. Here's hoping for some more shows, these guys slayed. 

THE ERECTIONS

The youngest band on here forming in 2002, it took these guys 9 FUCKIN YEARS to release any material. But it was worth it! These guys have the old school punk image and sound, although the comment section reminds me why I don't associate with "I'm a true punk" assholes. Great band though!

SA

Originally around from 1984 through 1987, SA (short for Samurai Attack) reunited in 1999. and released two of the greatest punk albums of the early 2000's: "You Must Stand Up My Comrades" and "GREAT OPERATION". They used to be AMAZIIIIIIIING. However, starting around the 2010's, they started becoming... a different kinda band. One that is much more reliant on classic rock'n'roll/rockabilly kinda stuff, which I hate. So while they're still around today, I do not recommend their newer stuff at all. Rather I recommend this. Slamminggggggg.

Lolita No. 18 (ロリータ18号)

Wow, I'm surprised no one mentioned them yet. Huh... well, around since 1989, Lolita No. 18 are arguably the first all-female punk band from Japan to really blow up outside of Japan. They toured around the globe, and went on to work with punk icons like Toy Dolls and Joey Ramone, who was reportedly a big fan of theirs, and who produced their 1997 album "Fubo NY (父母NY)". They're also a pretty weird band, with a core of the band during their heyday adopting cartoony personas, and the vocals themselves sounding very cartoony. Legends! Enapou~ ❤️ lol.

NICKEY & THE WARRIORS

Primarily a punk band, NICKEY & THE WARRIORS went through a weird post-punk/new wave sound during 1987, which was... meh. Their punk stuff though is great. Originally known as WARRIORS, the members changed its name and entire style in 1986 to NICKEY & THE WARRIORS, centered around charismatic frontwoman NICKEY. They were originally only around for around a year, but reunited from 1990 through 1993, before reuniting for good in 2002. They're known for being one of the first female-fronted punk bands in Japan, and remain total icons today.

GARLIC BOYS

Around non-stop since from their formation in 1985 until their short split in 2014 (reuniting in 2017), GARLIC BOYS are up there with New Rote'ka with longevity in terms of punk bands, and are widely regarded as one of the most iconic and influential bands in the underground Japanese punk universe. 

GOOD 4 NOTHING

Around since 1998, GOOD 4 NOTHING are unapologetically pop punky, and unabashedly western influenced, sounding similar to bands like blink-182 and New Found Glory. I'm a bit come-and-go with them, but they've got some pretty great stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhqrYpExQ2A (not embeddable. Goddamn Universal lol)

KING BROTHERS

Around since 1997, although on a semi-hiatus from 2013 through 2017, KING BROTHERS are known to be one of the most destructive and downright chaotic bands to see live, and are probably the finest band in the subgenre of blues punk. Very loud, very over the top... very badass lol.

ABNORMALS

Last but not least, ABNORMALS is a band that needs much, much, MUUUUUCH more love outside of Japan. Formed in 1988, they're another band that had a slow start, releasing their first mini-album in 1995, before blowing up like dynamite by the turn of the millennium in the underground. They're like the Japanese Danzig and are very gloomy, yet very heavy-hitting. Sorta like a horror punk-hard rock hybrid. Amaaaaaazing stuff.

Edited by robkun

@robkunI've checked them out all :3 these are my comments to them.

New Rote’ka (ニューロティカ)
They play very easy to like melody. Vocalist can sing, but that's it. This band is more about the lyrics, their PV's are really fun to watch.
For those who wanna follow
https://twitter.com/NEW_ROTEKA
https://newroteka.yoshimoto-me.co.jp/

COBRA
are not active anymore (sadly), Their sound is really amazing,
Anyway the guitarist and Bass are now in LAUGHIN' NOSE, which is also a very popular band!
http://www.laughin.net/
https://twitter.com/LaughinNose_

Spoiler

STANCE PUNKS
I know them, also a great still active band!
https://twitter.com/koh_stancepunks
https://twitter.com/STANCE_PUNKSnow
https://twitter.com/TSURU8969
https://twitter.com/stancepunks_g

BOMB FACTORY
Pretty much English lyrics isn't?
Sounds okay. But no release since 2016 anymore...
http://www.bombfactory.jp/
https://twitter.com/BxFofficial
I guess they even have changed their sound a bit?
Can't really found any recent live videos sadly.  So can't really say that... maybe they have?

Spoiler

KIkeiji (奇形児)
Still very obscure....
https://kikeiji.info/
https://twitter.com/kikeiji_info

Spoiler

FLULLTRAP 
Yes sounds good, this June they are back for a live again, but they still say that they are disbanded.
https://twitter.com/betchi_valtanV
https://twitter.com/shige666rock

THE ERECTIONS
Ah, they are active time by time. 
For sure a kickass band to see live. 
https://www.facebook.com/THE-ERECTiONS-1476019305962011/

SA
How can you dislike their current stuff?
Their current stuff is also amazing. I like both so for me it's not a problem ^o^
Somehow, I saw these guys somewhere before...  
http://sa-web.jp/
https://twitter.com/sa_staff
https://www.facebook.com/samuraiattack/

Spoiler

Lolita No. 18 (ロリータ18号)
I see their name once a while, but can't stand such female voice...

I would recommend you: Jack Chicken Strippers & PEACH RAMONE

Spoiler

NICKEY & THE WARRIORS
Their music doesn't sound like punk to me. more kinda old "pop rock, pop punk". nowadays it's a mix of pop, rock and punk. But how they sound, isn't easy to find. You gotta go to a live.
Currently beside Sally (The Reward), she is the most famous female vocalist, both play with well known rock and punk artists. 
https://www.facebook.com/nickey.book/
https://twitter.com/NICKEY64234386
https://twitter.com/NickeyWarriors

GOOD 4 NOTHING
Nice band for the music they make

KING BROTHERS

ABNORMALS
http://ab-normals.com/

In a couple of days, I will drop some more "unknown, smaller" bands~ 

Edited by BrenGun

IMOCD! might float someone's boat. Alternative rock w/ some shoegaze/grunge elements sprinkled in here and there. Features Ali Morizumi from Monoral so expect the singing to pretty much be fluent English for the most part. One of the dudes from Oblivion Dust is also involved.

Spoiler

CQ

CQ is a japanese shoegaze supergroup that features ex-members of Honeydip, Plastic Tree, and Tokyo Shoegazer. Fans of any of those three bands will most likely find something to enjoy here as well. I'd say some of their work would probably appeal to Coaltar of the Deepers fans too. Now that Tokyo Shoegazer's also somewhat active again I have no idea what'll become of this group but as far as I know they SHOULD still be active

Spoiler

Edited by Tokage

On 2/9/2020 at 8:36 AM, BrenGun said:

FOXPILL CULT - know them. but it's not my cup of tea. But the members are kind and great musicans.

THE NOVEMBERS - beautiful sound, if you like this type of music. They remember me of BORIS.

Unlucky Morpheus - Very great. Why don't more people speak of them here on MH
But are they actually visual kei? or are they also a band who actually don't wanna be called like that?
Surly gonna check them out more often!

Zemeth - Very Melodic Death Metal. Nicely done. 

YAMAGEN'S DEVILELIET  - not bad, but are they actually still active?

Thanks for sharing (^^)

THE NOVEMBERS I guess kind of like Boris in the sense that all of their songs are basically a different genre, although I haven't really listened to Boris enough to know if that comparison is valid. For example:

Pretty much a 180 from the other song lol

I don't know if YAMAGEN is still active or not, as Touhou bands are super difficult to track. @Zeus may know more on that, or where the members ended up going to if they're no longer around.

I am 98% sure Unlucky Morpheus do not consider themselves to be a vkei band. I always assumed they were Touhou / doujin related, but kinda dress up for fun (like how Wagakki Band isn't vkei but they still use stage costumes). They do have ex-vkei bandmen in the band, though, so they're not too far removed.

I'm sure @Jigsaw9 or @Zeus know more about Boris? or maybe other people? From what I remember form Boris THE NOVEMBERS sounds kinda like them. so if you are a fan of Boris you like THE NOVEMBERS for sure and backward surely too.

But I actually never listen to such kind of bands, it's not my cup of tea. But they seem to be popular enough, so I guess  lots of people likes it... (^_^)

How you write YAMAGEN in Kanji? 

Do you mean him?
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/山弦

Spoiler

Does some of you know this band?

The STRUMMERS

Spoiler

Vocalist has passed away in 2017, however the other members still rocking on stage. A new vocalist didn't join,  the 2 guitarist and bassist are singing all songs together now. ^^

The first one that came to mind when I saw the title was Backdrop Cinderella, but since they've been mentioned I'll throw a few other names in.

Yellow Studs

If you like raspy vocals like Chiba Yusuke (TMGE, The Birthday, etc.), Yellow Studs is probably one of the first bands that will come up when you look for bands with a similar singer. Their music has a similar sort of retro vibe, but it's generally much more jazzy. The vocalist also plays the piano, accordion, banjo, and some other stuff, so their sound goes in a bit of a folk-y/country direction sometimes. They have an acoustic side project called "Team Garakuta" or "Yellow Studs Acoustic Band" where you can hear more of that sort of thing.

Danablu

I'm a really big fan of NOA, which was an emo/pop-punk band that had two vocalists that sounded nothing like each other. One sang only in semi-decent English, and one sang in both really bad Engrish and Japanese.

The one that sings in English and the drummer have a new band called Danablu that's pretty similar to NOA. Not as weirdly all over the place, but still enjoyable, IMO. I still love Nishiura's voice, and they've got the same sort of simple DIY aesthetic I liked about NOA.

THE BEATMOTORS

If you're looking for something straightforward and kind of retro, THE BEATMOTORS are a good choice. Unfortunately, their guitarist, who was a big part of the goofy, over the top charm they had going, just left recently. But they're still at it, as far as I know. Their singer has this really rough, grouchy-sounding rock voice, and he's got a lot of energy. He's got kind of an Elephant Kashimashi thing going. Lol, when I first saw a video of him I thought he was 40-something and he was only about 25...

Edited by violetchain

If you like Yellow Studs there's a pretty high chance you'll dig 8-eit as well: