Tanishi

DIMLIM - MISC. [Discussion Thread]

DIMLIM - MISC.  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What were your favorite songs from the album?

• We’ve changed.now it’s your turn next
    • MIST
    • 真夜中に私を連れ出して
    • Funny world
    • What's up ?
    • +&−
    • For the future
    • Tick Tak
    • 気付かない者たちへ
    • Before it's too late
    • out of the darkness
    • Lament
  2. 2. How many stars would you rate this album out of 5?

• ★★★★★ - "MASTER CLASS ROCK MUSIC"
    • ★★★★ - "Great!"
    • ★★★ - "Decent"
    • ★★ - "Underwhelming"
    • ★ - "nah, take this shit back bruh."

Just got my physical copy and boy... uh. 

Okay so the release is actually manufactured by Amazon, which is a new thing to me. The booklet is filled with just promo art we’ve already seen, and the font for the lyrics and such almost looks like it’s blurred from a bad photocopy. 

No one from the band is credited anywhere. 

This is the most low budget indie thing I’ve seen in a while 

22 minutes ago, Saishu said:

Just got my physical copy and boy... uh. 

Okay so the release is actually manufactured by Amazon, which is a new thing to me. The booklet is filled with just promo art we’ve already seen, and the font for the lyrics and such almost looks like it’s blurred from a bad photocopy. 

No one from the band is credited anywhere. 

This is the most low budget indie thing I’ve seen in a while 

I guess dimilim hasn't turned their back on VK after all....

📯1. We’ve changed.now it’s your turn next & 6.+&− The first SE is actually a nice little jamming session. The latter is like if Snail House tried to make a heavier track but got too scared of losing fans, so went back to their sparkly shit. I don't mind it.

🔇2.MIST I like parts of the chorus.

3.真夜中に私を連れ出して This one gets it right. That section starting around 2:30 is oof 😩 I think these light ballads suit dimlim IN MODERATION 

🔇4.Funny world "Have you every thought your dirty birthday? "No idea what Sho is saying, but I hate it. Please, stop the Engrish.  Once again I like the little breakdown/section around 2:30. Cool ideas that are surrounded by meh. Would be cool live.

5.What’s up ? Quintessentially post-issei DIMLIM. Sho's voice doesn't sound too constrained and the guitar work is pretty good. Drums come alive.

🔇7.For the future meh.

🔇8.Tick tak Alright.

9.気付かない者たちへ Completely unrelated name in the spotify version?? TO FOOL. Lovely ballad, could do without the sfx tbh.

10.Before it’s too late Gives me strong early Linkin Park vibes. It's kinda cringy but fun. 

11.Out of the darkness We don't hear this too often in vk, it needs polishing but has all the right elements.

🔇⚠️12.Lament  I lament how unmemorable this song is. Holy shit the bass is NON EXISTENT. It's a very newbie vk band type of song, I've heard it a million times before by lighter bands with shitty vocalists that need to fill space in a release. Ugh, the Engrish is the cherry on top... From 4:20 it gets interesting. It reminds me of Nikusyu to hanshoku to hukaikan (from Rijin) because of the complete style change in the last few seconds of the song and I find myself loving this tease. But yea this song is a no from me. Actually I hate it.

:sleepy:

I voted for "Underwhelming 2*", I don't hate MISC. and I'll probably keep coming back to some tracks. By all means, it isn't a bad album. It's just kind of flat and in desperate need of more bass and less SFX. I hope the boys can develop on some of the better ideas in this album in the future. 

When I listen to CHEDOARA, Rijin and heck... I even started to try some stuff from Issei era... All of these releases make me feel overwhelmed in a very positive way. 

For example, Hito to Katachi. They DID THAT.  But with MISC. only select few songs and sections provoke any emotion from me,  so I gotta give it 2* cuz it's a step down. Even if I were to look at the album by itself, it isn't remarkable. Like someone said, if they were a newcomer band then maybe I'd bookmark them to see this potential develop.

But, either way, there's plenty to work with for future releases and hopefully it has been a massive learning process for the band. Whether they decided to continue and improve or break up after this.

2 hours ago, platy said:

Can someone post pictures of the physical copy they received? I'd like to see what it actually looks like.

I posted pics in the buy thread 

Indeed one thing that definitely grows unnerving with each listening is the completely absence of anything that resembles a bass. Don't know if it was a conscious choice, but I kinda blame Katsuya, it's the producer/engineer job to tell the band: "dudes, this is dumb"

I've had time to digest the album and I echo the sentiments of others in this thread. Okay, kinda forgettable, definitely not what I thought their second album was going to be. In many ways it is underwhelming and the lack of bass does a lot to make the songs feel lifeless. Bass is what makes music feel alive! I'll keep trying to like this album but it's probably not going to happen. A lot of my discontent comes from the fact that we had to lose the best deathcore band in the scene to get this, so even if it was good that truth still stings a bit. Hearing Sho approaching what sounds like a scream or a yell and then backing off is such a ball buster :|

And the worst part is that I know Retsu is a competent composer, so I don't know what happened. 

29 minutes ago, chemicalpictures said:

Indeed one thing that definitely grows unnerving with each listening is the completely absence of anything that resembles a bass. Don't know if it was a conscious choice, but I kinda blame Katsuya, it's the producer/engineer job to tell the band: "dudes, this is dumb"

Sho and Hiroshi still being in Dimlim but looking like they want out desperately at lives are proof that it's quite hard to tell Retsu "no" to something.

I took a nice listen to it myself and spent quite some time thinking about it overall as I took it in. But @Zeus has a very good point. Most of it felt very empty because of the lack of bass and hearing those restrained moments from Sho really detracted from it overall. And that's really my problem with it, because there's something missing from it and I don't know if it's because all the members aren't entirely on board with the changes but going it with anyways is the main issue but it feels just lack of any full dedication from anyone besides Retsu and whatever his vision is. It's not against the rules to do evolve and change as a group to do things different but when you can tell a whole band isn't into it then it transfers over to the sound of the album as a whole.

So to me, it's not the worst thing ever, it's just something that exists and we get to enjoy Sho's amazing vocals as held back as they are for another spin.

Hello guys, does anyone have lyrics to the songs? I like the album but don't fully understand what sho's singing in english.... 😓 And in digital ver. there's no lyrics... 

On 1/30/2020 at 4:03 PM, chemicalpictures said:

It's true, but the band always have the final word. They did this choice consciously

I did not appreciate this album except the songs "Before it's too late" and "out of the darkness" >_<

As they seem to plan to come to many countries this year, i hope they intend to play old songs too...

I have got to admit - the more I listen to the album, the more I get the feeling that it gets better. I don't know if it's me just getting used to it or the album simply requires multiple listens to digest.

This album confounds me. There are some very good tracks on here - well written stuff that sounds full, atmospheric, and energetic. On the other hand, for every great track, there's another one that feels empty and half-cooked. One of those all-too-common cases where an EP would have been better than an LP.

I don't mind the softer style, I don't even mind the trip-hoppy SE tracks, but the tracks that feel most successful to me are where they finally dig in and let it get a bit heavier. That overdriven rhythm guitar that shows up in a few tracks just makes it feel meaty, while some of the all-clean tracks feel incomplete. 

There is clearly bass recorded here (whether it's synthesized or real, I can't quite tell), but it's mixed so low in most of these songs that it barely even registers. 

Here's to hoping they fill out their lineup and stick with it long enough to really make something great with these stylistic changes. They're almost there, just need an editor or more stubborn producer (read: someone to challenge Retsu, I think).

On 1/28/2020 at 12:16 AM, pawzord said:

honestly, I did not bother to catch up on this thread and ignored most of the posts..and I don't know what I was expecting from this Album, but this is not it hun.

My sentimentts exactly.

Just to add more fuel to the dissapointment rail, yes, it is experimental but the songs don't achieve anything, making them forgettable. Album title on point, at least.
Now, I'm gonna listen CHEDOARA to rid off the bad taste.

Finally got round to listening to this album and I think "underwhelming" really is the best word to describe it. I literally can't even choose one song as a favourite that stand out, it's all just very mediocre, at least compared to what we know DIMLIM can actually do. It just feels like Retsu has had a load of random ideas and just mashed them all together in some incoherent way to form songs and eventually a full album with these "compositions". As much as I love Sho as a vocalist, at least the first album, I feel would have actually been better as instrumentals, not because Sho's vocals don't work or whatever but the songs just feel like they're better suited to the vibes of an instrumental in my opinion. + I don't really get the comments about the lack of bass, I can hear it clear enough for the most part but it does sound pretty synthesised as opposed to an actual bass though which is a shame, but maybe this was done for a more "poppy"/electronic effect. But anyway, think overall I'm happy sticking with the previous releases and forgetting this exists except for maybe the odd spin as background music here and there. + Why do the electronic parts for the most part sound so low quality and stupid? If they used decent synths maybe that would've helped a bit. Retsu needs to steer clear of electronics I think. haha.

Edited by Kabukichoatmidnight