Tanishi

DIMLIM - MISC. [Discussion Thread]

DIMLIM - MISC.  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What were your favorite songs from the album?

• We’ve changed.now it’s your turn next
    • MIST
    • 真夜中に私を連れ出して
    • Funny world
    • What's up ?
    • +&−
    • For the future
    • Tick Tak
    • 気付かない者たちへ
    • Before it's too late
    • out of the darkness
    • Lament
  2. 2. How many stars would you rate this album out of 5?

• ★★★★★ - "MASTER CLASS ROCK MUSIC"
    • ★★★★ - "Great!"
    • ★★★ - "Decent"
    • ★★ - "Underwhelming"
    • ★ - "nah, take this shit back bruh."

I’ve had the album on repeat all morning... not because I’m hooked but because once I finish it I can’t remember anything. 

Sho’s voice is the only thing that allows this forgettable album to fade into tolerable background noise instead of have me skipping it entirely. 

Edited by Komorebi

IMHO this is yet another the case of the "NOT HEAVY = HORRIBLE" tired trope, similar to what happened with DEZERT.

And yes, while I was also expecting more, there's also a lot of raw good ideas here, that could definitely have used a couple months more to flourish. After Rijin there was Kidoairaku, so I'l treat it as what it is: a conceptual release, an experiment to further polish the identity they are looking for.

highlights: What's Up?, Lament, MIST, Tick Tak, out of the darkness

Me listening to the majority of MISC:

ArtisticComfortableAsiaticgreaterfreshwa

nah, it wasn't horrible, but "What's up ?" was false advertising like a muhfucka. That was the best song on this bih.

"For the future" was nice too. Chorus ruins  "Tick Tak".

Overall, I appreciate their willingness to experiment, but I definitely think the album was a mess and many of their artistic choices were...questionable. Also lol'ing at the fact that they still sound VK as fuck.

p.s: the boogieman shit was better.

The album is decent. The only thing what annoying is are these "random electronic samples" pls stop

After I listen to "whats up?" I thought the album would be a miss, but in truth it's just the worst song on the album what a bad choice to make a music video out of it.

(god bless Retsu's guitar work)

bueno ... ya estoy esperando mi copia de amazon.co.jp. Mientras tanto, he escuchado el álbum en Spotify varias veces y digo que tengo un sabor agridulce ... claramente la primera mitad del álbum es más olvidable, pero la segunda mitad me parece épica ... de la canción What "s up? es Es muy agradable escucharlos, canciones como para el futuro. Antes de que sea demasiado tarde o fuera de la oscuridad, hazme creer en ellas en el futuro.

Edited by GuancheVK

uaJIeXZ.png

リリース: 2020年1月28日

レーベル: DUM LABEL.

▼収録曲
1. We’ve changed.now it’s your turn next
2.MIST
3.真夜中に私を連れ出して
4.Funny world
5.What’s up ?
6.+&−
7.For the future
8.Tick tak
9.気付かない者たちへ
10.Before it’s too late
11.Out of the darkness
12.Lament

1 hour ago, chemicalpictures said:

IMHO this is yet another the case of the "NOT HEAVY = HORRIBLE" tired trope, similar to what happened with DEZERT.

I don't think that's necessarily the case here. CHEDOARA had a handful of more 'atmospheric'/non-heavy tracks and people seemed to vibe with those a lot. I wouldn't even really call Rijin all that heavy and that one ended up on many people's ''best of the year'' lists (of course with some obligatory ''BUT WHERE ARE MY SCREAMS'' exceptions here and there but you can never really escape from those).  I feel like it's rather the fact that all the messy behind the scenes stuff ever since those 2 members left has already created quite a decent amount of bad will among people coupled with the fact that the sudden sound change is executed rather awkwardly in places. Like you said in your own post, if they'd taken some more time to develop their ideas a bit further I'm pretty sure the finished product would've already been a whole lot better, but at the same time, considering the reported state of the band I kinda feel like there might not have been any band left if they'd put things off for too long.

If this is the sound they wanna go for moving forward then I'd like to think it's something theyll just keep getting better at with each new release. I know technically this isnt a new band or a debut album but that's kind of what it feels like (not in a bad way) and itll just take some time developing this new era of dimlim to reach their full potential. Unless of course they do another 180 with their sound in a year or two but I would like to see them move forward with what they went for in misc.

My first impressions I'd probably give the album a 7/10 but I need to sit on this for a week at least before giving a proper score.

Edited by sleepy coffee

This feels like a forced transition into pop rock or whatever it is they're trying to go for, I was hoping for some mathy songs like whats up but I just ended up being disappointed with how boring the album is to me. Lots of creativity has been lost, they just sound like another j-indie band to me with this album.

So, as I said in the news thread, math absolutely sucks. Bring back real Visual Kei!

In all seriousness though the second half of the album is noticably stronger than the first, but overall I don't see myself giving too many of these tracks relistens. It has the same problem a lot of the other mathy bands cropping up all over the place these days have; their songs are serviceable but missing that extra something that makes them sound like more than the sum of their parts. Mathy music tends to have a lot more going on in terms of compositional complexity, sure, but that doesn't make it inherently more well-written. In this sense I think they've regressed a bit from CHEDOARA, so hopefully if they continue with this sound they'll at least rediscover some of those qualities.

Also, can the vocalist stop sexually moaning for some guy called 'Richard' in out of the darkness please?

Edited by Pho

39 minutes ago, platy said:

I can't vote on the poll yet cuz this is gonna take several listens. But what's painful here is that in some tracks Sho's voice is so obviously constrained to fit the songs. He has to use 10% of his skills to be able to fit into what this album is going for. 

Yeah this. 

You can sometimes hear Sho on the verge of going off the rails, but he can’t because it wouldn’t fit the music at all. It’s almost like he started to cut loose and Retsu was on the other side behind the sound board, wagging his finger. 

Honestly I felt tired while I've listened to this album.

I LOVED so many songs from VARIOUS album.

All four songs from THE SILENT SONG single are the most amazing masterpiece they released.

For me their music started to sound worse when Issei left. CHEDOARA had so many positive reviews, but for my ears this album was only average.

MISC is the proof of that some bands can't make listenable music when they lost the main composer.

This album has maybe two songs that I can stand.

But I don't remember which ones, because they get lost between rest of the songs and unnecesary intros.

Edited by akiko

Rijin is one of my favourite releases ever but this killed my vibe, I think retsu is a lost cause and sho should leave for better projects

5 hours ago, platy said:

I can't vote on the poll yet cuz this is gonna take several listens. But what's painful here is that in some tracks Sho's voice is so obviously constrained to fit the songs. He has to use 10% of his skills to be able to fit into what this album is going for. 

I'm having Tsuzuku/Genki Vietnam war flashbacks with this comment. 

I can't agree more. 😧😭😢

After 2 listens:

-Too much SE, too little BASS.

It's like Restu was afraid of how bad it would sound without a proper(REAL) bass player and asked Katsuya to buried it deep in the mix to hide it...

-I love the 1st half of the album, 2nd not so much but does have its momments (Tick Tak, For the Future and 気付かない者たちへ)

-Best songs - What's up and 真夜中に私を連れ出して.

-I HATE +&- and Lament.

-Before it's too late sounds like GazettE.

Overall i give it a 7/10.

Edited by LeunaM

i find this album interesting, yep, its different from their previous works, and the distortion and the electronics sounds are hard to be used to (but tbh I'm still getting used to their use of those sounds even in previous songs) Something that i really liked, and this is just my personal taste is that are less guttural xp Sho voice reach some really beautiful and vibrant notes, this band is pretty new for me so im not that demanding? But I liked it, i just listened the whole album twice today, Tick tak is *insert Pacha meme*. I think this album needs more positive opinions, Tick tak, mist, lament and Whats up are faves now. I will look forward to their live here in Mexico <3.

this album's WEIRD but i'd rather have a few more strange ones like this than a hundred alright albums that do just fine.

not sure why the 'are they vkei or aren't they' debate is so lively when the music sounds more vkei than 鵬翼 & their looks are more vkei than 達郎's in 心のない町's PV. between this & DEZERT i'd say rather than declaring individual bands to have fallen off the vkei wagon we're seeing the early phases of another branch of this scene, like what we english-speakers call oshare/nagoya/angura/art kei. indie kei? i think it could be a thing & would love to see more of it

tbh retsu could put out a full album of SEs & i'd enjoy it - maybe that's bc i don't listen to enough actual IDM or Flying Lotus et al but either way it pauses & carries the mood of Misc. & CHE DO A RA both nicely; this is a hill i'll absolutely die on.

7/10 imho is the perfect rating for this album to end up with - every album dimlim puts out seems like a different band's debut & i hope they stay around to make 10+ more

Considering the musical direction they took, it's so strange the absence of Bass. It has no presence in the mix, only some kind of " sub " very low sound behind every instruments.

But man.. it's so groovy, the bass need to groove their. My first reaction with the first song was : ' it feels empty '.

I hope they will find at least a new bassist and come back to a more emotional side

Edited by Kirito

2 hours ago, diryangrey said:

not sure why the 'are they vkei or aren't they' debate is so lively when the music sounds more vkei than 鵬翼 & their looks are more vkei than 達郎's in 心のない町's PV. between this & DEZERT i'd say rather than declaring individual bands to have fallen off the vkei wagon we're seeing the early phases of another branch of this scene, like what we english-speakers call oshare/nagoya/angura/art kei. indie kei? i think it could be a thing & would love to see more of it

What exactly do you mean by “sound VK”, this has absolutely no built in furi whatsoever.

Gave it a listen.
First impression: this album is a mix of background music and Gazette's mediocre slow songs. Like, technically it's good, there is nothing wrong. But nothing caught my attention that much. 

Edited by EvilHippy

I think it's pretty good. Not so easy to pick a favorite track, I'll give the nod to what I thought was most consistent (and coincidentally most memorable). MIST, whats up, for the future and tick tack I suppose? The closing stretch has a lot of good material but I had trouble distinguishing the last few songs from each other even after a few plays.

I was also of the opinion that the second half was notably better on a first listen but at this point it's pretty even. Anyway I'll keep playing it but I'm glad to be enjoying it throughout when we were kind of unsure of the content going in. Honestly I've always liked them but didn't care much about CHE DO A RA as an album myself, I don't know that I ever played that album from start to finish.

oh and all of this could have been done in makeup/