platy

Which visual kei trope would you ban?

1 hour ago, suji said:

bands disbanding and then reforming to a "totally different band" a month later with the exact same members (or minus one, but still)

nnnnnn s/o  givuss→アリス九→アリス九號.→Alice Nine→A9→アリス九號, having no copyright ownership sucks :'((( 

Furi/teban: its ok, but for every song? Or when a band writes their songs to match those typical movements, it just seems formulated and boring. Younger fans thinking they have to move their hands to every band also are annoying. Gave the middle finger to a young girl during our set at a festival gig here when she was like *hehe how do i move my hands to this?* 

Maybe I sound like a visual grandpa but the younger indie bands trying to be "djent". They never seem to pull it off. 

Edited by ghostpepper

2 hours ago, ghostpepper said:

Furi/teban: its ok, but for every song? Or when a band writes their songs to match those typical movements, it just seems formulated and boring. Younger fans thinking they have to move their hands to every band also are annoying. Gave the middle finger to a young girl during our set at a festival gig here when she was like *hehe how do i move my hands to this?* 

Maybe I sound like a visual grandpa but the younger indie bands trying to be "djent". They never seem to pull it off. 

Haha, but it's fun to kinda get along with the furi/teban in the fan crowd... 
And it can happen that you just wanna play along if you kinda like the music of the bands who is playing...

So to gave the middle finger is a little harsh 😛  you better could have said somehow; "just move, how you want!" 

But I agree that it is damn annoying,  because why can't you decide yourself how you wanna move your hands/head on a song? =_= 

Edited by BrenGun

19 minutes ago, BrenGun said:

Haha, but it's fun to kinda get along with the furi/teban in the fan crowd... 
And it can happen that you just wanna play along if you kinda like the music of the bands who is playing...

So to gave the middle finger is a little harsh 😛  you better could have said somehow; "just move, how you want!" 

But I agree that it is damn annoying,  because why can't you decide yourself how you wanna move your hands/head on a song? =_= 

Yah I learned all the movements for BFN from going to so many gigs and it was fun! But for every band, every song? haha.. the girl deserved it haha, it was not the mood for that. 

Yah I like more free environment too. Like stereo ck gigs, just headbanging and gawkimg at yuana and his glory. ❤

36 minutes ago, ghostpepper said:

Yah I learned all the movements for BFN from going to so many gigs and it was fun! But for every band, every song? haha.. the girl deserved it haha, it was not the mood for that. 

Yah I like more free environment too. Like stereo ck gigs, just headbanging and gawkimg at yuana and his glory. ❤

haha

I don't go to many visual kei gigs anyway... so I always can move freely :3 

Obsessively distinguishing between active bands and inactive bands ('active-only' all-time favorites lists, etc). As if a band never existed as soon as they split up. As if defunct bands don't constantly have reunions, and active bands don't constantly split up. etc.

afaik no other genre has a fanbase that cares so much about activeness.

On 3/4/2020 at 3:06 PM, hopefully_benign said:

Obsessively distinguishing between active bands and inactive bands ('active-only' all-time favorites lists, etc). As if a band never existed as soon as they split up. As if defunct bands don't constantly have reunions, and active bands don't constantly split up. etc.

afaik no other genre has a fanbase that cares so much about activeness.

It's always been weird to me how particularly Western bands can go like 5 years without an album and still be just fine, but vkei bands apparently need to churn out a single every 9 weeks in order to pay back their loan shark and get that checki $$$

24 minutes ago, Peace Heavy mk II said:

It's always been weird to me how particularly Western bands can go like 5 years without an album and still be just fine, but vkei bands apparently need to churn out a single every 9 weeks in order to pay back their loan shark and get that checki $$$

Yah one thing that really surprised me when I first moved here was things from only a year ago on TV or music would be called "old" by people. That pressure on bands is never good and is a big part of the need for even bigger bands to accept "mitsu". ¥¥¥ noruma, Hall rental, hairmake staff, rehearsals, outfits, etc. etc. with that pace adds up big time 😿

Edited by ghostpepper

That unidentifiable vocal type that somehow sounds deep and high pitched at the same time.

I don't know how else to describe it other than to say probably over half of all vk vocalists since the mid 90s try their hardest to affect it. It had its place but it's time to move on.

3 hours ago, hopefully_benign said:

That unidentifiable vocal type that somehow sounds deep and high pitched at the same time.

I don't know how else to describe it other than to say probably over half of all vk vocalists since the mid 90s try their hardest to affect it. It had its place but it's time to move on.

There couldn't be any VK without it, sorry.

9 hours ago, hopefully_benign said:

can you give an example of it?

the first thing that comes to mind is 90s lareine-era kamijo but that might not be what they meant.

(can't stand that type of vocals either 2bh)

alternatively something like the vocalist from Phobia?

Edited by Tokage

• PVs that feature white people awkwardly walking around with blank expressions on their face [bad stage direction? Like seriously, make a facial expression guys] while the band either acts edgy or goofy in the background [it's jarring in a funny way]
  • Behaviour archetypes in general. Real sick of needing one cute member, a cool/edgy member, a normal member, a cloud coo-coo lander, etc. per band, we can have multiple per band or none and it'll still be cool
  • Inside the part of song, the English is created for purpose of great surprise for the reason of the japanese being all too much used to the people it is
  • Bäñð Ñāµ3§ þĥæť løôk lïkê 5hīß~日本語が必要はない~
  • Going full goober as soon as they go major
  • Obligatory looks like "wedding outfits"
  • Lyrical tropes like "瞳の中で”, ”目に映る”, ”新しい世界”, God I could go ON. They're like the VK version of "Tonight, tonight, I'm gonna love you baby"