Shaolan974

アリス九號 (Alice Nine) new album "不夜城エデン" (Fuyajou Eden) release

I actually love the cover art and Testament is a great song. It is super disappointing that well basically only get five new songs here. 

Song is good; but everything in it screams "fake" so loud... How can I take seriously that approach on djenty breakdowns and screaming if they were doing a full k-pop routine on stage like... what, two years ago? Don't know, this band is so messed up, which is really sad considering all of them are talented musicians...

OP called it... it really is a mini-album. And... it doesn't sound very good. The song's not bad, I guess, but the production is processed and compressed all to shit. The drums sound like cardboard.

On 3/23/2020 at 5:55 AM, saiko said:

How can I take seriously that approach on djenty breakdowns and screaming if they were doing a full k-pop routine on stage like... what, two years ago?

giphy.gif?cid=790b761146553b702709a86f4d

Title track sounds very experimental... not sure I like the chorus.  I thought after the remake albums they would return with some type of refind sound similar to their early days.  I’ll have to listen to full album before judgement. 

I agree. This song is not that good. I feel like after they left PSC, they don't know exactly where to go musically. They started off promising with their 1st two mini albums, but then it seems they haven't been able to recapture that magic. They've had good songs but none of them really stuck with me after a few plays. This won't stick with me after 1, but I still have hope. 

On another note, I missed the reason why they decided to go back to alice nine instead of being a9.

29 minutes ago, jduv86 said:

I agree. This song is not that good. I feel like after they left PSC, they don't know exactly where to go musically. They started off promising with their 1st two mini albums, but then it seems they haven't been able to recapture that magic. They've had good songs but none of them really stuck with me after a few plays. This won't stick with me after 1, but I still have hope. 

On another note, I missed the reason why they decided to go back to alice nine instead of being a9.

Just replying to your second paragraph since the first is purely down to personal tastes. They discussed the reason in a couple of recent interviews, I'll link one of those here: https://mokkoriness.tumblr.com/post/188291014559/alicenine-diga-interview-part-one-october Basically it boils down to 'Alice nine /アリス九號 is our root and where we started, so we feel the obligation to reclaim it, for the band and for the fans'. 

I like the intro a lot but I'm having trouble getting the main melody. Revolutionary blooming was meh for me too. With the exception of the first EP, overall I quite like their 'A9 era'. Kinda worried that I'll realise I actually prefer A9 to アリス九號 2.0. Oh well, that's an essential part of any artist; they will evolve and change and they'll lose fans along the way. 

I got the digital version(here ) while I wait for my CD to arrive. Now, the preview didn't grab me at all apart from the ballad, so my expectations were pretty damn low going in. 

Immediate love : 罪人(tsumibito) and ASOBI. tsumibito has a lovely melody and Shou rendered it with control and tenderness. Although I wouldn't say it's groundbreaking, there are definitely hints of Sonata in there. ASOBI on the other hand, is the pleasant surprise out of the whole mini album. The bridge calls back to their first couple of eps, ie a more light-hearted, upbeat version of Kagrra. Adding synth and a slight vocal distortion on top feels like a blend of not only East and West, but also different time periods. I absolutely adore the instrumental solo in this song: starting with a creepy, off-tune music box sound, and builds up to the twin guitar hormonization. Can't wait to experience ASOBI live.

Babylon is on familiar ground again. It feels like it should be the op of a late night TV drama. Everlasting is THE typical fluffy light rock, feel good side of Alice Nine. Epilogue (opening instrumental), pfft, they just put the orchestral arrangement of revolutionary blooming as a separate entry! So not only is this a mini album, 3 songs out of 8 we've heard before. That's just laziness.

Overall, I'm still happy with it. Because whether I like the ballad or not pretty much determines my feeling towards any album.