sleepy coffee

ex. Meidara members form new band "自我-ジガ-" (Jiga)

[tracklist]

01. 音無 (Otonashi)

02. カケチガイ (Kakechigai)

03. 激情 (Gekijou)

04. 白日 (Hakujitsu)

05. 雨音と憂鬱 (Amaoto to Yuuutsu)

06. お伽噺 (Otogibanashi)

07. 無垢 (Muku)

08. 「追憶」 (Tsuioku)

09. 蕾 (Tsubomi)

10. うたかた (Utakata)

11. ズタズタ (Zutazuta)

12. 絶望輪舞曲 (Zetsubou Rondo)

13. 焔 (Homura)

14. 芽生え (Mebae)

DVD-01. 音無 (Otonashi) PV

DVD-02. 絶望輪舞曲 (Zetsubou Rondo) PV

On 1/28/2020 at 11:31 AM, Shaolan974 said:

[tracklist]

01. 音無 (Otonashi)

02. カケチガイ (Kakechigai)

03. 激情 (Gekijou)

04. 白日 (Hakujitsu)

06. お伽噺 (Otogibanashi)

07. 無垢 (Muku)

08. 「追憶」 (Tsuioku)

09. 蕾 (Tsubomi)

10. うたかた (Utakata)

11. ズタズタ (Zutazuta)

13. 焔 (Homura)

14. 芽生え (Mebae)

DVD-01. 音無 (Otonashi) PV

this looks like it could be the tracklist of an early mucc album

Edited by saishuu

On 2/17/2020 at 5:32 PM, Jigsaw9 said:

Welcome to 95% of VK I guess. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Yep. It's the reason I skip the majority of new bands and just stick with those that are a bit different and continue doing cool stuff (for the most part), so unless a band really starts making waves and gaining popularity they'll more than likely be passed here. However, at the few VK shows I've been to, that's actually a nice way to discover the bands as well, something about seeing the performances sometimes can make a band that bit more interesting even if the music isn't that special. Like "well I enjoyed watching them so I'll get a CD" or whatever.

On 1/28/2020 at 11:31 AM, Shaolan974 said:

[tracklist]

01. 音無 (Otonashi)

02. カケチガイ (Kakechigai)

03. 激情 (Gekijou)

04. 白日 (Hakujitsu)

06. お伽噺 (Otogibanashi)

07. 無垢 (Muku)

08. 「追憶」 (Tsuioku)

09. 蕾 (Tsubomi)

10. うたかた (Utakata)

11. ズタズタ (Zutazuta)

13. 焔 (Homura)

14. 芽生え (Mebae)

DVD-01. 音無 (Otonashi) PV

Digital version 

https://linkco.re/uZMqeqDC?lang=en

Feel likes there's something missing in the vocalist's voice. It's...restrained? But in a bad way?

It's like mahiro's vocals but only at like a 20% level?  and without the 'crying' undertone lol.

Hakujitsu suits his voice though imo.

Edited by gret

Thoughts on this album so far?

I'm digging it. I always think it's bold for a new band to drop a full-length straight out of the gate so not all of the songs are winners, but I think there's more good here than bad. A lot of interesting guitar work hidden under some of the denser layers - hope they get better production on the next outing so the more interesting elements are easier to hear. 

Definitely not a game changer by any means, but it's all pretty solid heavy VK and I love their looks so far. I'll definitely follow them.

Past that, I will say production is a bit wacky - they really tried to push the low-end to cover up the less-than-fantastic sounding elements, but it doesn't sound bad.

I quite liked the album, but I agree, the production was not the best. I think the fault mostly lies in the guitar tone. There are no mids, which means there isn't a lot of note-definition.

However, I loved the traditional Japanese elements, and the old school influence. Definitely a breath of fresh air composition-wise.

Yep - guitar tones are very tinny and hollow. 

Also - the vocal melody in the verse of ズタズタ is giving me serious deja vu as I know it sounds a lot like another popular VK song, but for some reason I can't place it...

edit - I think it just reminds me of the intro of 貴女ノ為ノ此ノ命。by the GazettE?

Edited by nomemorial

9 hours ago, nomemorial said:

Thoughts on this album so far?

this vocalist is very dull to listen to after the first like 15 minutes lmao. i never cared to get around to meidara so maybe im not used to his voice but i just found it to be really not good. otherwise all the compositions are interesting enough apart from typical poor vk production 

Vocals are pretty unremarkable to me in either direction. I can realize he's not great, but VK has been passing off mediocre vocalists for years to the point where they've somehow convinced me that bad vocals are actually fun to listen to (I'm looking at you, Verxina...)

Have spun this a few times the past few days and I'd say it's a solid 7 overall with the good tracks being very good. Definitely could have been a really top-notch mini if they trimmed the fat and threw a little more at production.

The AINS backing will clearly do them a lot of good and I'm sure we'll see them spit out enough material in the coming year to get a feel for how far they'll go, but overall I think it's a solid jump in quality from Meidara. I really love the whole super-goth take on "pseudo-traditional" garb they've got going, too.