Sign in to follow this  
MarkOfSacrifice

Need help with my final project! [Related to J-metal/VK!]

Alright, so I have a final project for my computer science class and I decided to code a J-metal/Visual kei database that generates popularity/top 10 lists (I equated number of sales to popularity for simplicity's sake. The band with the highest number of sales in year 199X would be the most popular band that year).

My question is if there's some sort of way I could access old Oricon charts or if there was a database that had the amount of sales of visual kei/J-metal bands. I'm hoping to use this data for my final project.

Really would appreciate some help. Thank you!

I guess it's an endless search...

Should the numbers really to be "true"??

I would say, search for popular j-metal bands which were popular in the 80ties-90ties. 

And then just add fake sale numbers.

I found this

https://spinditty.com/genres/The-50-Greatest-Japanese-Metal-Bands-of-All-Time

And I must say, their top 50 is something I would agree with.

Wikipedia also has for some older bands oricon charts sales listed ^^

I might be wrong, but I believe oricon used to sell their extended chart archives with sales data back in the day, you should look this up (might not be relevant anymore since last time I had interest in that was around 2009 at the latest.)

also oricon hasn't tracked digital sales until recently, so only their physical media data is accurate.

Edited by nekkichi

8 hours ago, BrenGun said:

I guess it's an endless search...

Should the numbers really to be "true"??

I would say, search for popular j-metal bands which were popular in the 80ties-90ties. 

And then just add fake sale numbers.

I found this

https://spinditty.com/genres/The-50-Greatest-Japanese-Metal-Bands-of-All-Time

And I must say, their top 50 is something I would agree with.

Wikipedia also has for some older bands oricon charts sales listed ^^

Yeaaaah, it can't be falsified data. It has to be real data. Thank you, though.

3 hours ago, saishuu said:

this is hardly anything, but this website used to track the sales of some older visual kei bands (using Oricon numbers). hope it helps! http://oriconv.seesaa.net/

2 hours ago, nekkichi said:

I might be wrong, but I believe oricon used to sell their extended chart archives with sales data back in the day, you should look this up (might not be relevant anymore since last time I had interest in that was around 2009 at the latest.)

also oricon hasn't tracked digital sales until recently, so only their physical media data is accurate.

That's the type of stuff I was looking for. I don't have to use recent bands since I was planning on doing 90s bands anyway. I'll have a look through this. Thank you!

On 11/28/2019 at 7:18 AM, Zeus said:

A better idea would be to poll us for the info. You aren't going to find what you're looking for easily enough.

Oh? So to maybe take a forum-wide poll and supply data from people from MH and what they bought from what years? Not a bad idea but my project would need to be edited by quite a bit..

would be bad idea since people here didn't buy LOUDNESS and some more other famous metal music...

I guess you better can turn it to visual kei bands feom the last few years.

Sign in to follow this