R/O

Archive Project

@Zeus and I came up with an idea to archive information from VK-themed websites that contain valuable information but are dying/semi-abandoned/etc. The discussion originated about the dying Scape forums (and by extension Scape itself), but I hope it expands to other dying sources of information. If anyone would like to participate in the archive work, help organize it, or nominate a website, say it here. 

Is it pertaining to information shared on the forums or actually archiving old forums? If it's just band information, you can use your friendly international neighborhood visual kei database vk.gy!!

Edited by evenor

2 hours ago, platy said:

How is the archiving going to be done?

I don’t know yet... right now I’m saving stuff on a google doc, we’ll see how it’s gonna be organized...

1 minute ago, evenor said:

Is it pertaining to information shared on the forums or actually archiving old forums? If it's just band information, you can use your friendly international neighborhood visual kei database vk.gy!!

Information shared—very good idea to suggest vk.gy! Is there a place to upload interviews/song lyrics though?

What I am envisioning we preserve are things like tabs, interviews, lyrics translations, etc. No one thing in particular, but everything and anything that may be of interest to a fan five years from now. What we know about the past is a result of what people did and didn't preserve, including information. One thing in particular I'm interested in finding was that expose from the whistleblower a decade back or so. Something like that would be interesting to dissect and compare to the scene today, but we can't do that unless we find the original article. Anything archived can be posted here or on another website such as vk.gy and linked here. I'm not too picky on how or where it's done, just as long as it's done.

4 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Anything archived can be posted here or on another website such as vk.gy and linked here. I'm not too picky on how or where it's done, just as long as it's done.

I might see if I can use google sites or something... so it’s going to be somewhere more organized for it than a forum.

4 minutes ago, BrenGun said:

what do you got so far?

Couple of interview translations off of Scape forums. Both of them are MM Q&A interviews. I’ll try to get more work done this afternoon.

For release information, band history, etc, that can of course go into vkgy. I’d be happy to repost interview translations in the blog too, but I would want permission from the translator first.

For everything else, I think your best bet would be to download HTML copies of the pages you’d like to preserve, and just upload them to a server somewhere.