freesia

Hong Kong's Protest for Democracy and Freedom

I think there are still people who don't know about what's going on in Hong Kong. What's going on is not just happening in Hong Kong, but all over the world. Hong Kong is facing China's suppress on stripping off of our freedom and democracy, from little by little to finally revealing its fangs. This is happening to all the places where China's money is involved. The most noticable are China's control on the limitation of creation like Hollywood movies, games, literature, etc.. If we don't fight for it now, we don't want to imagine how it's like to have China fully controlling our city. China's leader, Xi Jinping, is already throwing out bibles from China's churches and replacing them with the book he wrote himself.

Please take a look at this newspage to see what's happening in Hong Kong:

https://edition.cnn.com/specials/asia/hong-kong-protests-intl-hnk

Please stand with Hong Kong. Even only your words matter and we are more than grateful for them.

I hope China doesn't get the upper hand in this but realistically speaking the only way to not lose would be to have your own military right? I doubt any country would step up to help you guys considering China has the countries with strong military by the balls economically speaking but that would be another alternative since even if HK had a army it hardly would be able to fight against the sheer number China probably can output. The way things look like right now it seems to me that  civil war could break out and if that happens HK will suffer way more than it already is suffering.

It is also at times like these (the information age) that I think I am glad something horrenduous like this can not be covered by the media, IMO the CPC is disgusting and the more people are aware of what they truly are the faster we get closer to getting rid of it.

I only hope for the best for people who long for freedom from totalitarian regimes.

The situation in Hong Kong is a dreadful one. I wish that there was a peaceful way to resolve the situation, but as long as countries and leaders subscribe to the doctrine of might makes right, we will continue to have these same problems take new form. 

However, I do not want the pressing immediacy of the topic to supercede the rules we've established. In case you need a refresher these are the two rules.

1. Any current discussion regarding worldwide politics is now limited to the Current Events section of the forum. Limits will include news articles only from reputable sources, as well as detailing factual occurrences that can be found easily online. All topics found elsewhere on the forum, political in nature, will either gradually be transitioned to this subsection of the forum, or closed entirely if they fail to adhere to rule #2.

2. After much discussion, future topics concerning non-Asian politics are hereby banned on MH. This means that NO new discussions about the upcoming USA 2020 election, Brexit, the Republican or Democratic parties, mass American shootings, acts of terrorism, or any other content tied into politics and not in Asian countries will be allowed in the future. In addition, future topics concerning the intersection of sexuality and politics, current events concerning China and it's policies/politics, and anything related are going to be prohibited as well. 

The administration will be monitoring this topic very closely and will close it if it reaches a point where we feel uncomfortable.

I just want to say

Because my mother's first language is Chinese, she gets her news from the Canadian Chinese TV channel and free Chinese newspapers distributed at Chinese grocery stores (Toronto suburbs). She is convinced that the American and British governments are paying all of the protesters. Also, because the footage shown on TV are the most extremely violent/disruptive acts perpetrated by protesters, she thinks they should all be arrested/imprisoned and would not be upset if the military rolled in and killed them all.

I have to listen to her rant about this shit every day (because it is shown on TV every day). Attempts to set her straight are useless and only lead to more ranting.

Propaganda is certainly.. a thing.. even here in Canada. I'm sure nobody is regulating those "news"papers.

By the way, I also told her about how ridiculous it is that Xi Jinping banned Winnie the Pooh, and her response was "It should be banned! It is very insult! How would you like it if people compared you to a fat bear!" 🙄 Also, the sickening details about the treatment of Chinese Muslims is "fake news".

Have tried to talk to some Chinese friends and got the same "it is an American conspiracy!" BS too ☹️ though you can try hard to explain that all people deserve self-determination and freedom to fight for that, people will have that strange "if you do not like my team/side f**k you" tribal mentality and any logic won't really work. 

Hong kong people are lovely, very different from the mainland, and I hope they can preserve that.