Champ213

Any old school bands?

ps. even if J-Jazz should be inspected by looking at its "roots", I find its fusion genre and acts to be the best choice in terms of introduction - e.g. I've got into this scene just after side-eyeing Ringo Shiina's musical partners, heh.

I suppose it varies for everyone. For me it was club-jazz and nu-jazz. I'd already been introduced to jazzy overtones through various pop artists (shiina, ego-wrappin'), soundtracks/scores (yoko kanno), and likely through hip-hop samples and whatnot. Nu-jazz took those overtones that I liked and expanded on them in a palpable and groovy way. Club-jazz essentially did the same for me, although with a lot more meat to sink my teeth into. Those two pretty much set the stage for further my endeavors.

Is there any Japanese music in the vein of like... La Dispute or mewithoutyou? I mean in the ''kinda emo, kinda indie rock, almost spoken word-esque vocals'' sense? Only thing I can think of is some tracks on Qomolangma Tomato's very first album

Is there any Japanese music in the vein of like... La Dispute or mewithoutyou? I mean in the ''kinda emo, kinda indie rock, almost spoken word-esque vocals'' sense? Only thing I can think of is some tracks on Qomolangma Tomato's very first album

A few things that I can think of that might be somewhat close, although these are probably a bit further into other styles like emo, punk, screamo, hardcore, etc..

This time we will not promise and forgive

200MPH

Alt Of The Society

NONREM

akutagawa 

THE ACT WE ACT

If these are in your ballpark, I might be able to recommend some more.

I already knew Akutagawa, I enjoy their stuff. Also dig all your other recs, especially THE ACT WE ACT and NONREM

I've been really getting into visual kei metal/rock recently...

It's all I find myself listening to lol

I'd love to discover new visual kei metal/rock bands!!

Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm currently into Dead Children, LOCUS, Mediena, Roub, RABBI★STAR, DevilKitty, and Vexent. 

And I don't like Dir en grey or the GazettE lol if that helps.

Im looking lately for Pop Rock and Rock bands of the late 80's and 90's that would sound similar to bands like Deen, Fields of View, Zard, Lastier and Shazna. I know many bands from that era but mostly heavier rock or metal. Any recommendations here for this? They dont have to be bands but solo artists as well.

Im looking lately for Pop Rock and Rock bands of the late 80's and 90's that would sound similar to bands like Deen, Fields of View, Zard, Lastier and Shazna. I know many bands from that era but mostly heavier rock or metal. Any recommendations here for this? They dont have to be bands but solo artists as well.

I don't know if this is close to anything you looking for, but I would suggest AURA and A-CHIEF if you haven't tried them out. 

AURA

A-CHIEF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgHVu8IO-Uc

I'm in need of new music so I'm looking fro artists similar to R-Shitei and Pentagon/Arlequin

Also I need songs similar to LOVE is HAKATA by R-Shitei (like some kind of rap stuff)

I'm in need of new music so I'm looking fro artists similar to R-Shitei and Pentagon/Arlequin

Have you tried Liraizo yet? They're pretty good (bit more similar to R-Shitei than the other bands listed).

Artists similar to sukekiyo.

Artists similar to Morningrise era Opeth.

Good goth rock groups with diabetes inducing female vocals.

Origin or language doesn't matter. Thanks in advance.

Artists similar to Morningrise era Opeth.

Ikuinen Kaamos should be what you're looking for. Maybe not exactly Morningrise, but they sure sounds like older (aka pre-prog rock) Opeth. It's not rare to see people talka bout them as an Opeth-clone/rip off. Very similar.

Edge of Sanity could be another one. Thinking mainly about Crimson and Cryptic. Not very similar, but could be worth trying. Crimson is a most brilliant album.

And Katatonia's "Brave Murder Day" could be something up your alley . Great album, but not very similar. But could easily be a bit what you're after anyway.

This was hard.

Artists similar to sukekiyo.

For more unconventional arrangements and "free-form" approach (e.g. "Vandal", "Madara Ningen", live jams by Takumi and co. minus Kyo): pretty much anything associated with RIO movement (e.g. Henry Cow, Univers Zero)

For nutjob, almost genrebending songs in the vein of "Dunes", "Celeste": Japanese zeuhl acts to some extent (e.g. Koenjihyakkei - "Daemon's Cutlery" sounds a bit like earlier Ruins)

Otherwise for calmer passages ("Kugui", SEs) , usage of Taishogoto (Uta): just dig through Krautrock essentials - firstly for Neu! and sub-collab Harmonia which utilized same-ish instruments in their genre

It's very hard to draw exact artists as a reference, so I'd advise you to dig through bands of the 70s-80s' avant glory e.g. RIO bands and Harmonia rather than resort to searching for acts of the newer calibre (since sukekiyo is heavily based on modern interpretations of classic interests).

I'm curious if there are any more bands with a non-Japanese ethnical theme, like Siva had. Does anybody know of such?

Idk about vk bands but in terms of casual acts Zabadak might be the first, noteworthy choice regarding anything non-Japanesque ethnic:

Western trad. folk -based act (usually revolved around Celtic influences, sometimes fooled around with Eastern European frills as well)

howdy kind friends

can u recommend me something along the lines of DIO, (older) NEGA, UnsraW and (older) DEPAIN? I have an itch for that messy metalcore sound that still has a melodic old school touch