Champ213

Any old school bands?

You might want to check out the bands on the NAGOMU label run by the vocalist from Uchouten. It was sorta the epicenter for odd & quirky releases in the Japanese music scene of the 80:s. Bands like PICKY PICNIC, MINCA PANOPICA, BACHIKABURI, MIN & KLINA-MEN etc.etc.

There were also some oddities in a maybe less manic way being released by the Yen/NonStandard/Alfa Records labels which were spearheaded by the guys from YMO. Usually more with more electronic focus on the music. Stuff like APOGEE & PERIGEE for instance (featuring Jun Togawa on this track):

^ If you like that quirky '80s new-wave style thang, you might enjoy Uchouten (tho they had a male vocalist):

Jig being awesome as usual, thank you bringing up a band I am new to. I just realised they are listed as 'similar artists' to Togawa on Last fm! I need to continue searching most artist there. Would've missed this gem! Thanks for reminding me, and for the rec and vids. I'm loving them very much! It's even better it's a male singer btw, I'm more of a female vocalist listener so this is perfect.

You might want to check out the bands on the NAGOMU label run by the vocalist from Uchouten. It was sorta the epicenter for odd & quirky releases in the Japanese music scene of the 80:s. Bands like PICKY PICNIC, MINCA PANOPICA, BACHIKABURI, MIN & KLINA-MEN etc.etc.

There were also some oddities in a maybe less manic way being released by the Yen/NonStandard/Alfa Records labels which were spearheaded by the guys from YMO. Usually more with more electronic focus on the music. Stuff like APOGEE & PERIGEE for instance (featuring Jun Togawa on this track):

'Run by the vocalist from Uchouten.' Awesome, didn't know that! A lot of info there is new to me too, thank you for this! I'll spend more time looking into this music era now, sounds amazing. All those band names you just gave me I'll have to check out too. I'm looking forward to doing so!

Extra kudos to you for including Togawa, haha.

I'm very appreciative of both your replies and recommendations!!

I was wondering could someone direct me to a band with a similar sound as them.

So my friend is pretty new to jrock and would like a variety of recommendations of bands to check out. she likes a few songs by miyavi and hyde.

I need to find a band similar to BIOSPHIA! Never payed attention to them until now and since they're breaking up I need something else to fill the gap :P

I need to find a band similar to BIOSPHIA! Never payed attention to them until now and since they're breaking up I need something else to fill the gap :P

To me, Sel'm has a similar sound to Biosphia.  Vocal wise, the voice sound is different, but the styles they sing in are similar.  Are you familiar with them?

Here is a sample of a song that I think sounds close to Biosphia.

So my friend is pretty new to jrock and would like a variety of recommendations of bands to check out. she likes a few songs by miyavi and hyde.

If she likes MYV and Hyde, she probably would enjoy Gackt, L'arc~en~ciel, Abingdon Boys School, Alice Nine, DuelJewel, and Takui.  They have a similar moderate rock sound with Pretty Boy vocalists.

anyone know any non english rock or instrumental bands that sound like this
???

Good doom/drone groups.

Doesn't have to be japanese necessarily.

Completely no experience in that field except that I listen to Church of Misery and Boris.

Good doom/drone groups.

Completely no experience in that field except that I listen to Church of Misery and Boris.

Because you like Church of Misery:

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today

Saint Vitus - Hallow's Victim

EyeHateGod - Dopesick

Because you like Boris (it'll obviously depend a lot on which Boris album you like, but some albums that you should enjoy):

Melvins - Stoner Witch

Melvins - Houdini

Earth - Pentastar: In the Style of Demons

Earth - HEX; or Printing in the Infernal Method

Sunn O))) - Black One

And pretty much all the albums mentioned above

And some pesonal favourites not yet mentioned but which I consider a must of doom metal:

Thergothon - Stream From the Heavens

Reverend Bizarre - II: Crush the Insects

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans

Pagan Altar - Volume 1Katatonia - Dance of December Souls

Warning - Watching From A Distance

Pentagram - Pentagram

Pentagram - Day of Reckoning

The Wizar'd - Ancient Tome of Arcane Knowledge

Blood Ceremony - Living with the Ancients

Totem - Totem

Witchfinder General - Death Penalty

Witchcraft - Witchcraft

Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Blood Lust

Fallen - A Tragedy's Bitter End

Funeral - Tragedies

Draconian - Where Lovers Mourn

Tristania - Widow's Weeds

Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer

Winter - Into Darkness

Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt

Coffins - Buried Death

Hooded Menace - Fulfill the Curse

Theatre of Tragedy - Theatre of Tragedy

I probably went a bit overboard, but I do consider all albums mentioned in this post classics, either proper classics or mothern classics within lots of different subgenres of doom (traditional, drone, funeral, death/room, epic, psychedelic, doom rock, gothic and more.). So check it out and get an overview over what you like, which'll make it easier to recommend something for your taste in the future. But these albums will get you a decent overview of the genre as a whole, so I'd recommend you checking it out with time even though it'll take some time to get through the whole list.

Good doom/drone groups.

i love pallbearer, yob, isis, bell witch, samothrace, cult of luna, neurosis

they're all pretty recent acts so its a little far from the classic trad doom that Bear recommended but if you like some adventurous doom give these all a listen~

also im madly in love with lamiel & blast at the moment so can anyone recommend something similar (doesnt have to be nagoya) with the old school sound that doesnt sound like clogged nasal passages and chorus abuse? thanks

That theme reminds me of Balzac, or any punk band:

Sorry if I am off target.... to me the intro sounds like "The Kids Aren't Alright" by The Offspring...

thanks.

anyone know some artist like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99sVregE-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXYj932rPs ?

Kizunasan, on 30 Apr 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

Bands similar to Plastic Tree? Any of its eras

I already know Umbrella, I like shoegaze

try tokyo shoegazer (東京酒吐座), they're rlly good japanese shoegaze

want some western recs too or?

Bald Shuuji era: Dai 5

goatbed Shuuji: Dai 6 or Dai 7

Those are carry garry's best IMO

and @Kizunasan: Try Cruyff in the Bedroom, sugardrop, Tokyo Shoegazer, Mew, The Cure, The Smashing Pumpkins, Asobi Seksu, 101A, The Earth Earth, My Dead Girlfriend, DIMMDIVISION, Plastic Girl in Closet.

try tokyo shoegazer (東京酒吐座), they're rlly good japanese shoegaze

want some western recs too or?

Thanks! I can take some western recs too.

Bald Shuuji era: Dai 5

goatbed Shuuji: Dai 6 or Dai 7

Those are carry garry's best IMO

and @Kizunasan: Try Cruyff in the Bedroom, sugardrop, Tokyo Shoegazer, Mew, The Cure, The Smashing Pumpkins, Asobi Seksu, 101A, The Earth Earth, My Dead Girlfriend, DIMMDIVISION, Plastic Girl in Closet.

Thank you!

I'm devoid of music, lost most of the stuff on my computer and far too lazy to rip my cds..  All I need from you is to recommend me some sick ass Japanese beats.  I'm talking stuff that's like hard rock, or very sleek and smooth and fast.  I need YOUR fucking beats, so drop them on me please, and I love you Monochrome.

I'm devoid of music, lost most of the stuff on my computer and far too lazy to rip my cds..  All I need from you is to recommend me some sick ass Japanese beats.  I'm talking stuff that's like hard rock, or very sleek and smooth and fast.  I need YOUR fucking beats, so drop them on me please, and I love you Monochrome.

Moderator Message:

I merged your topic with the existing Music Recommendations Thread. Use the forum search function next time. :)

So I love band's that use really interesting, flashy and creative guitar work and I love great vocal's. Recently I got into the band Arukara and fell in love with their ability to write amazing creative music with chaotic moment's that still manage to flow together extremely well so if anyone has any suggestion's please help, I love Visual Kei but that doesn't mean I wont listen to other types of music, I want to find more band's that are this fun and creative so any help would be appreciated! 

This is Arukara by the way just to get to hear what they sound like, thanks!

^ A bit different in style, but you might like クウチュウ戦 (Koochewsen).

Their mini album was upped here on MH not long ago!

Listen for yourself: