Champ213

Any old school bands?

Everyone (especially fans of DEZERT) should go listen to DAMY because they are really really awesome. Ryo might not be the best singer but his screams/growls are sick and they are so much fun live PLUS they are some of the sweetest persons ever :)

Can anyone recommend me bands or songs that have japanese traditional instruments please?

Here some I already know:

Kagrra,

Kiryu

Onmyo-za

Wagakki band

Kuroyuri to kage

Memento mori

Otomekokka

Shiki project

Inugami circus-dan

Babymetal (I think, I didn't listen much, I didn't like it)

Disacode (still going to listen)

JyuLie (still going to listen)

Byakura

Ningen Isu

Strawberry Song Orchestra

Zigzag 

My favorites are:

Kiryu, Kagrra, Shiki project, Otomekokka, Zigzag and Kuroyuri to kage... I like specially fast and heavy songs, but more bands like Kagrra would be great too...

Recently I discovered these:

Sorry if there's already a post like this, but I couldn't find it...

Edited by len

I highly recommend Xaa xaa if some of you guys are missing that old school sound and want a ''Nostalgic'' feeling.

Edited by SadMoomin

Ok so I've been out of the Jrock loop since 2015,

I do listen to old jrock songs from MERRY, NoGod, D, Gazette, and MEJIBRAY here and there but I would like to get back into it.

I feel like I may be missing out on some great songs/bands.

any  recommendations ?

57 minutes ago, No.47 said:

Ok so I've been out of the Jrock loop since 2015,

I do listen to old jrock songs from MERRY, NoGod, D, Gazette, and MEJIBRAY here and there but I would like to get back into it.

I feel like I may be missing out on some great songs/bands.

any  recommendations ?

For MERRY, if you haven't got to check out their latest album, Nonsense Market, do so!! It's really good!!

I also suggest listening to their latest singles Heijitsu no Onna and Kasa to Ame~ and if you wanna get a happier side of the band, well, Happy Life is really popular too.

Edited by sheepprincessgara

On 12/12/2016 at 2:54 AM, MechanicalBeauty said:

Everyone (especially fans of DEZERT) should go listen to DAMY because they are really really awesome. Ryo might not be the best singer but his screams/growls are sick and they are so much fun live PLUS they are some of the sweetest persons ever :)

YES thank you! they are great~~

so itsukoii was looking for deathcore and has a very similar point of reference to me but I guess I'd say i'm looking for more on the metalcore end of things. I'm cool with deathcore, but more in the setting of a live than listening at home. For example, I really love seeing Inception of Genocide but listening to them recorded...pass

here's a list of basically where i'm starting--basically bands I go to see or have seen and/or already have CDs of.
I don't necessarily need clean vocals but I dont want the screaming to be overbearing lol

HONE YOUR SENSE

Last Day Dream

おはようございます

Sable Hills

Breathe my Words

Crystal Lake

Suggestions

So what's the recommendation for someone with these as a starting point??

HONE YOUR SENSE and Last Day Dream wont be so active for a while so I need something to fill my time🙃

Edited by anakuro

@anakuro It's not exactly metalcore, more alt metal or post-hardcore or something, but have you tried these guys?

Also, again not metalcore, but some other -core offshoot, but try these guys anyway

Usually i find てんてん's voice difficult to stand more than 1 song (i only checked MBHI and ラッコ so far) but yesterday i stumbled over KuRt's PV for 折り畳み式おじいちゃん which i couldn't stop listening. The atmosphere reminded me of 凶の世界 and 世界はそれを見つめるしかない, the 2 songs from MBHI i liked, with remindable melodies sung by him in the chorus, a little melancholic even IMO.

Any recommendations from his older bands that carry a similiar atmosphere? Usually their songs seem more cheerful or a litte chaotic i felt. I checked KuRt's other PVs but didn't like them.

@anakuroSorry I'm late on seeing your post here but I got a few you might like? 

(mildrage is new to me but I saw them in the recommended while I was grabbing the links for the others and sounded alright to me.)

@doomboxthanks bro!!

tokage recommended abstracts and mildrage to me too which both get a thumb up. i like abstracts' take on djent and the guitarist is pretty cool👌which i mean i've known about abstracts for 50 years because of hikari but i never got around to looking into them really for that whole time, oops

I saw paledusk recently and thought they were all right, definitely something to keep an eye on. I've also seen FOAD twice and they were pretty good👌

I'm actually going to be seeing EARTHISTS on saturday iirc when going to see Suggestions & Devil's Inlay, so I'll definitely be keeping my eye open for them. I like the MV !!

I'm really feelin Graupel !!

@anakuroALL MY JEALOUSY!! XD I need to go finding some new metalcore stuff myself soon, I'm falling behind lol. But I really like Earthists so I hope you enjoy the show! ♥ Abstracts and Earthists have this melodic take on djent that I love. I think Earthists just released something new recently that I need to pick up too. *o*

@doombox i've just been going around seeing LDD and HYS and getting exposed to all these random bands along the way without knowing who the f they are haha i guess maybe I should start giving you recommendations from the super indies bands I keep seeing then👌 (if so: Breathe my Words, Sable Hills, Suggestions)

Actually the earthists live I'll go to is their release party. did you need me to grab you their CD while I'm there?? 

Yeah, I really like abstracts' melodic version of djent; it's so chill. I'm so frustrated that they're playing with Sable Hills in Osaka on May 21st and May 21st is also HYS' first oneman in Tokyo. I can't be in two places at once!!!

@anakuroSpam me anytime! ;)  I have heard Sable Hills before, good stuff! Suggestions were good too but I think I dug BMW just a little more. If it's not any trouble I'd love if you can grab that Earthists release for me. Thanks so much! 

Oh that's just evil of them. How are you supposed to choose!! lol

Can anyone recommend any good Japanese noise rock bands? Anything like "Boris" or "cali≠gari's" noise rock stuff or even a Japanese equivalent to "Fantômas". Oh also I'm already aware of "boredoms" and "melt-banana".

Edited by sume7

@doomboxwill do!

Suggestions is an e x p e r i e n c e live and the fact that they call themselves sadcore makes me love them a little more :') but yeah I really like BmW too. At first I was kinda meh about them but they grew on me ww

Yeah it's no problem! Give me the deets on facebook ok??

Right :'( but I will go to tokyo if I can spare the money for it too. I already told sable hills & abstracts's guitarist about my predicament lmao 

i'm looking for dark/gothic/creepy visual kei. if anybody could point me in the right direction, that'd be awesome, because i don't even know where to start lolol. it's hard for me to even find examples of what i'm looking for, because i've barely dipped my finger into these genres. but here are some songs that i like and i think reside sort of closely with what i'm looking for:

Spoiler

by 'dark' i guess i mean the Schmelz Cure song, and by 'gothic' i mean the Calmando Qual. Gemmik sort of sits in the middle (while along the lines of creepy). i'm looking for anything that is even slightly close to these three songs, my mind is really open. thanks!

On 10/10/2016 at 2:57 AM, itsukoii said:

anybody know japanese deathcore?

i've already got bands such as Chain Disaster, ALL DISTURB, HONE  YOUR SENSE, Inception of Genocide, Mirrors, and Victim of Deception. bands like those would be great.

is the japanese deathcore scene really as small as i think it is or am i just really uninvolved.....

btw i just realized you didn't mention HOTOKE so

I saw them with HYS, LDD & IOG so I'd put them in that group. Idk if you already know them or not.

Betrayer Death Penalty is pretty new but definitely worth checking out 

the fucking geezer part always cracks me up. their bassist is insane.

the singer is at like literally ever live i ever go to; I always see him around lol his screams arent really my thing but deathcore i'm pretty picky about in general for that reason💁

Edited by anakuro

@anakuroholy shit! thanks so much for the recommendations!

HOTOKE were a band i remember being recommended to me months ago, but i must've got side-tracked in getting music from other bands, because i don't have any HOTOKE in my library.

Betrayer Death Penalty is... definitely interesting LOL, but not bad tbqh. i'll be looking more into both bands, thanks again!

Edited by itsukoii

@itsukoii no problem :) I go to a lot of metalcore now which as you can imagine means i end up seeing a lot of deathcore too

HOTOKE was pretty great live and tbh so is BDP. I think the recording lost a lot of the quality for BDP because the composition is actually quite good--the vocals arent my thing, though, as i mentioned before. They're young and have been around for like two? months so they just need time 

You might want to check out suggestions & like a corpse too if you havent. I think like a corpse calls themselves deathcore. suggestions is actually downtempo deathcore and as they like to say "sadcore" 

I posted a different video of suggestions before so here's a different one

the vocalist of suggestions is very committed to creating the atmosphere ( @doombox I found a video of it)

like a corpse has a very similar stage presence 

Edited by anakuro

@anakuro Wow, it's like he's possessed! I can see why it leaves an impression. lol

I'm liking the BDP clip too, at least musically it sounds really solid. I can take or leave the vocalist, but it's the high pitched banshee screams that are usually the deal breakers for me. Over the years I've learned how to tune out the cookie monster rawrrawrrawr guys.

i'm personally a fan of high screams or low growls, and could care less about mid-screams, tbqh. some i enjoy, like HER NAME IN BLOOD's vocalist's mid-screams, and i'm especially digging HOTOKE's because the guy has a range, which keeps it interesting for me. but for example, the vocalist of HONE YOUR SENSE i honestly can't stand because of his same-level mid-screams throughout 90% of the songs, but i love the instrumentals so i keep listening to them anyways lolol

LIKE A CORPSE are TOTALLY what i'm into, thank you so much for the recommendation!! lovin the growls and creepy highs. good shit. real good.

SUGGESTIONS are awesome too, especially that dude's stage presence. would love to see em live one day

Edited by itsukoii

@doombox yeah i really appreciate BDP when it comes to the composition.  I prefer BDP live honestly...probably because I can appreciate the instrumental bits more w

@itsukoii yeah while some screaming types are not my cup of tea, i do appreciate range... on the other hand I still love Bara (HONE YOUR SENSE's vocalist). I appreciate the fact that he's screaming so clearly so I can make out a lot of it lol Plus unrelated to his style of singing he's incredibly nice 👌  To be honest, HYS in general is full of some pretty great guys.

Anyway! Glad you liked like a corpse too. Their stage presence is very similar to suggestions, actually. One time the other day the bassist got off the stage and just laid on the (dirty) floor playing while staring up at the ceiling ww

Here's another video of suggestions where he legit tosses himself over the rail for your viewing pleasure

It definitely leaves an impression www but it's shit like that that I love. He's so committed on stage to this persona 👌

If you ever come to Japan and get a chance to see them you should. it's an experience 👌 Plus they're actually quite nice ww

On 24.3.2017 at 6:32 AM, sume7 said:

Can anyone recommend any good Japanese noise rock bands? Anything like "Boris" or "cali≠gari's" noise rock stuff or even a Japanese equivalent to "Fantômas". Oh also I'm already aware of "boredoms" and "melt-banana".

One of my go-to albums in "Japanese equivalent to Fantomas" should be up your alley as well:

Spoiler

Kinda familiar sound if you know a bit about John Zorn's production and  maybe some other kinda-popular zeuhl outfits (does Bondage Fruit ring any bells? You should get familiar with the whole zeuhl genre since it is pretty much "Fantomas-core" - proggier yet similarly noisy)

To provide further examples on why you should seek things you cited in this genre: Tatsuya Yoshida's catalogue (Ruins, Koenjihyakkei etc. etc.) - very abrasive, noisy, at parts might be reminiscent of various acts - even Boris at some small parts.

Spoiler

If you seek Boris-tier sludgy, noisy stuff, consult these Steve Albini-approved noise metal guys:

Spoiler

These guys on the other hand are pretty much proto-Boris - the hell, their main Japanese influence I think?

Spoiler

I may have seen Aunt Sally and Cali-gari mentioned in the same context due to their frank similarity (well, influence or not, the hell I know), but you may enjoy Aunt Sally too:

Spoiler

Edited by Alroy