Champ213

Any old school bands?

Why would you think Arukara was Math Metal? What made you think that? Arukara is a Rock band through and through just with lot's of imagination and creativity. 

No idea what it is called, usually just think of it `that  indie music with lots of leads and fills`. There are a lot of bands that use `similar` styles, if you are looking for the same characteristics that I associate with it.

I associate a lot of bands and songs with Radwimps because there seem to be a lot songs or bands that are influenced by them. But then again maybe there are other acts which predate them with that specific style, dunno.

I just made lists of some that came to mind, maybe you like some, maybe you don`t, you probably already know some as well:

RADWIMPS - おしゃかしゃま

yeti - monochro

illion - BEEHIVE (Solo from Radwimps)

the HIATUS - Thirst

Different, but similar feelings at times (for me at least):

Ling Tosite Sigure - Monster

Tk from Ling Tosite Sigure - Unravel

A little different, but also a strong overlapping melodic emphasis, just focused more on one instrument: 

Zoro - Latency Snow

Also reccomended:

クリープハイプ - エロ

Alexandros - Waitress Waitress

MIYAVI - WHAT`S MY NAME

サカナクション

Also dunno if this was supposed to go in the Recommendation Thread or whatever, but maybe you could put the band name in the thread title and so forth at least so the site is sorted better. Just my input.

@Tetora: I don't want to nudge with "genre wisdom" here but as far as bands in the vein of Radwimps, LTS or even 9mm are concerned, they are usually considered as post-hardcore/indie hybrid bands with various influences in their home country (e.g. LTS sporting heavy prog/post-rock infuences in most of their lengthy songs). 

Also: just because you have tapping pattern as the main feat/attraction in your song doesn't make it "math rock" (by that logic we could lump a massive number of vk songs into "math", which is defo absurd) - "math metal" wtf?!

Sorry, I felt like throwing this out of my chest v_v

looking for 90's trip hop bands or artist w/e this genre is

911 Jmusic experts i need y'all advice

i love DIMMDIVISION. and tokyo shoegazer and im looking for similar japanese shoegaze bands with a pronounced post-rock influence or just pretty twinkly guitars

i'm not a fan of much japanese shoegaze as i find it sounds a lil shallow and monotonous, but i might just be listening to the wrong bands

please bless me with ur knowledge, thank you~~~~

So lately I've been in sort of a "dry patch" when it comes to finding new bands I can actually start to like and become a fan of.

Okay, so here's some backstory (is this necessary, idk but I'm adding it anyway). I'm a newer fan of vkei jrock since I got into it around mid-2012. And even though I came in at a newer era, I really fell in love with older bands like Vidoll (and many other UNDERCODE bands), D, Versailles, The GazettE's and Alice Nine's older releases, D'espairsRay, Malice Mizer, and others I can't exactly recall now.

And now I can say the active bands that I really enjoy are Gotcharocka, Arlequin, Mejibray, Nocturnal Bloodlust, UNiTE, AvelCain, and Pentagon (this is the band I most recently started liking a lot).

Addition to this that yes, I know DIAURA is very popular now but there's something about Yo-ka that makes my skin crawl, and I mean in a bad way.

So since this a community filled with very seasoned vkei fans, I ask for your recommendations! ;3; I prefer newer bands probably 2012 and beyond, popularity not being something I care about. BUT you can also throw in some recommendations of some older/disbanded bands as well since I really love the sound of older visual kei rock. 

I can't quite describe my taste...the subcategory of rock doesn't really matter. I guess I can say I like unique sounds (like added electronic elements, crazy guitar riffs, or other things, and holy crap I'm bad at explaining this). But just anything outside of the typical generic sounding bands that have been coming out lately ;_; nothing against them, but their songs don't really grab me.

btw shout out to staff for the favorite/best tracks of month threads, those have been helping me a lot.

Okay I'll shut up now, your recommedations, please?  :lolita_blink:

911 Jmusic experts i need y'all advice

i love DIMMDIVISION. and tokyo shoegazer and im looking for similar japanese shoegaze bands with a pronounced post-rock influence or just pretty twinkly guitars

i'm not a fan of much japanese shoegaze as i find it sounds a lil shallow and monotonous, but i might just be listening to the wrong bands

please bless me with ur knowledge, thank you~~~~

Kinoko Teikoku is quite often mentioned along with Tokyo Shoegazer, so I think you might dig their earlier output:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkBIb_ElLRQ

@blackdoll:

Try Portishead :)

does japan have twerk music?

looking for 90's trip hop bands or artist w/e this genre is

have you tried Sneaker Pimps? their earlier stuff with Kelli Ali is pretty kickass (although it´s not Japanese, sorry)

anyway, i´m searching for something similar to The Seeker, Iceman and Kotani Kinya

and something more that´d be similar to T-Square

:3

I'm looking for very concise mini-albums (or short albums). Ones with little-to-no filler. Dreamy stuff and harder stuff.

Nega's EPs, Sadie's first few EPs, Cocklobin's first EP, Mucc's 6, Unsraw's Spiral Circle.

Can be newish or older.

Need new stuff to check out c:

Anyone know anything similar to J.A. Caesar's musical output?

Could someone please recommend me some nice Japanese Jazz? (not so much Jazz influenced stuff). I'd like to try something different and I'm curious about how that sounds. I don't think I have heard any Japanese music in this genre that I can recall. 

Could someone please recommend me some nice Japanese Jazz? (not so much Jazz influenced stuff). I'd like to try something different and I'm curious about how that sounds. I don't think I have heard any Japanese music in this genre that I can recall.

Probably the most renown band of Japanese Jazz is SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS", but they're kind of like a hybrid club-jazz band. Very catchy and eventful, sometimes chaotic.

indigo jam unit also fits within the club-jazz spectra, but focus much more on groove and rhythm:

If you want something a bit more traditional, you can look for projects that Shinpei Ruike is involved with:

If you want jazz with vocals, then orange pekoe might be worth a shot. Although they're not always straight up jazz. But to be honest, in my experience finding good, straight-up vocal Jazz isn't the easiest thing to do. The stuff I've come across is usually mixed with other elements (like, rock or pop)...and the straight vocal-jazz that I HAVE found is usually really lame covers/jazz standards done in awful Engrish. ^^'

I hope this helps, though. If you need more, and want to delve into more experimental or hybrid jazz acts, then I've got you covered.

Probably the most renown band of Japanese Jazz is SOIL & "PIMP" SESSIONS", but they're kind of like a hybrid club-jazz band. Very catchy and eventful, sometimes chaotic.

indigo jam unit also fits within the club-jazz spectra, but focus much more on groove and rhythm:

If you want something a bit more traditional, you can look for projects that Shinpei Ruike is involved with:

If you want jazz with vocals, then orange pekoe might be worth a shot. Although they're not always straight up jazz. But to be honest, in my experience finding good, straight-up vocal Jazz isn't the easiest thing to do. The stuff I've come across is usually mixed with other elements (like, rock or pop)...and the straight vocal-jazz that I HAVE found is usually really lame covers/jazz standards done in awful Engrish. ^^'

I hope this helps, though. If you need more, and want to delve into more experimental or hybrid jazz acts, then I've got you covered.

Thanks :) I'll try those. Yeah, by the looks of it it will be hard to find decent old-fashioned jazz, given what I have heard on Japanese jazz radio stations so far is just old recordings of stuff like Louis Armstrong :P Maybe I should try looking into Japanese music from the 50s or the 60s.

For less club-jazzier variants, there's always Mountain Mocha Kilimanjaro in terms of 'fun' jazz collectives:

Orange Pekoe might not be the best fit seeing as they are more Brazilian/Bossa-based act with scattered influences in the vein of jazz, nu-jazz, a bit of blues etc. - on the other hand, similar artist Dorlis mainly focuses on her thing with Django Reinhardt-ian swing jazz a la '20s (a.k.a as close as modern "poppy" Japanese acts can get into "real jazz")

I've been always told that this *SHOULD BE* the first J-jazz essential to every new listener out there (seeing as some people like to separate J-jazz from standard jazz scenes almost completely):

(oldie but goldie I guess)

Funny that rarely anyone mentions jazz pianists from Japan tbqh - Hiromi Uehara should be the most known one:

...phew.

As cat mentioned it already, it's a bit of shame that current scene actually lacks *bare to the bones*-kind of jazz acts - but we could say the same about any other genre out there. Seems like amalgamation-mumbo-jumbo-kind of stuff is a given phenomenon for Japanese music?

Satoko Fujii (pianist) and her projects are also quite good, some of it is more modern in that free-jazz kinda area (nothing too drastic tho xD), others a bit more traditional sounding. :)

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6lAL71WTSU

edit: that Ryo Fukui dude sounds rad, grabbing that album myself too. xD

^we should mention Otome Yoshihide as well, right? (since he sorta specializes in doing that "traditional" free-jazz thing to some extent) :D

+ that song he arranged for Shiina Ringo on her remake album is hands down one of his jazziest pieces lately lol.

You should really give Ryo Fukui a try - he might be hands down the best gateway to the thrilling, obscure world of J-jazz pre-80s era (since 70s need some attention too)

Thanks :) I'll try those. Yeah, by the looks of it it will be hard to find decent old-fashioned jazz, given what I have heard on Japanese jazz radio stations so far is just old recordings of stuff like Louis Armstrong :P Maybe I should try looking into Japanese music from the 50s or the 60s.

Yeah, that might be for the best if you can go back that far. My J-jazz knowledge mostly stems from the 90 through today. I wasn't quite sure what you were going for, so I started with club-jazz acts since those are typically pretty accessible and easily digestible. But if you're looking for something with a more of a traditional sound KYOTO JAZZ SEXTET might be worth a shot too. They're a newly formed band, but they're composed of some of the most renown names in modern J-jazz. Sadly, their new album consists 90% of standards, but they're all done so well that it doesn't matter.

SLEEP WALKER is also fantastic if you want something a bit more spiritual

^ Already dl'd his two albums, heh. :D

Also, , I randomly found this interesting album, you might wanna give it a try: '60s jazz and koto!

I will take this one step further :D

Shakuhachi jazz and straight out of the 70s!! (everyone here should try out)

/I am done, sry Cat/

ps. even if J-Jazz should be inspected by looking at its "roots", I find its fusion genre and acts to be the best choice in terms of introduction - e.g. I've got into this scene just after side-eyeing Ringo Shiina's musical partners, heh.