psychonnect_rozen

Top 5 favourite animes

In no particular order: 

Began watching anime in 2014 with FMA (2003)

Fate/Zero

Your Lie In April

Evangelion

Sarazanmai

Darling In The Franxx

Honourable Mentions: Another, Your Name, Re Zero

Edited by psychonnect_rozen

Would it help if you add in when you started watching anime? I'm looking at some of these and could use that info to not judge your guys' tastes lol.

Began watching: 1996 with Sailor Moon

1. Golden Boy (English Dub)

2. Vision of Escaflowne (English Dub)

3. FLCL (I'm being reasonable here) (English Dub)

4. Initial D

5. Violet Evergarden (English Dub was good. #fightme)

Cowboy Bebop/Samurai Champloo/Trigun would be in this list, but I wanted to take into account more than just the impact/nostalgia.

Plus they are timeless classics, so people are already aware they would be on people's top 5.

edit: Also for shits, I am now adding my 6-10 here.

Spoiler

6. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

7. GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka

8. Overlord

9. Prison School

10. SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist

5 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

Violet Evergarden

My friend thought it was boring for some reason. Haven’t watched it yet though so can’t comment on that lol

14 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

My friend thought it was boring for some reason. Haven’t watched it yet though so can’t comment on that lol

Well there are a shit ton of reasons why I enjoyed the anime, and the most surprising to people is when they hear it was with the English Dub, which 80% of those who watched it hated.

The first episode or so was hard to get used to (you'll see why), but they're necessary I think to establish the character somewhat. I'd say watch it first and then come back, because I may be 1-2 decades ahead of you when it comes to anime (binge watching for me has many downsides, one of which has to do with properly digesting and understanding each episode, which was no problem when you had to wait until the next day/week for the next episode growing up), and I've understood what it is I enjoy and what I don't enjoy.

12 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

they hear it was with the English Dub

Yeah I never understood why people think ALL dubs are bad. I understand that there are some bad ones, but I can’t understand why people are so elitist about it. I only recommend dubs if the person has a reading disability or just prefers it because of other reasons. I don’t make a whole deal out of it

The whole “dub v sub” mentality is stupid in general lol. 

Began watching : Rurouni Kenshin (I think it was around the 2000’s when they started broadcasting it on TV and I first saw it)

1. Yu Yu Hakusho

2. Bungou Stray Dogs

3. Fullmetal Alchemist

4. Rurouni Kenshin

5. Attack on Titan

Eyeshield 21

Ranma 1/2

Hunter x Hunter

Naruto

D.Gray-man

^These are the ones that I come back to the most. I can re-watch Ranma 1/2 over and over again. Akane is also basically everything I strive to be.

2 hours ago, YuyoDrift said:

I'm looking at some of these and could use that info to not judge your guys' tastes lol.

Spoiler

Hah. I listed things that stuck with me and I can watch interminably.

I've rewatched Mononoke perhaps one too many times (not to be confused with Princess Mononoke); I love the animation style and fluidity in storytelling. I highly recommend it. The same team also worked on Kuuchuu Buranko, hence why they're both a bit strange (for lack of a better word). The latter definitely isn't for everyone, but I think it's great in its own way.

Steins;Gate does an amazing job with handling the complex discussion of time travel, while also managing to highlight the individual characteristics and lifestyle of the main cast. Unfortunately, S;G does have a couple of fillers (unsurprising given its length), but it's worth sticking through imo.

I absolutely love the plot of Youjo Senki and the overall execution of worldbuilding, plot, characters, so I recommend it if it interests you at all. ( ̄▽ ̄)b

I could go on forever about why I decided to list these particular shows instead of some others, but it's really just my own taste in the end.

I do not watch ENG dub, just because I typically prefer the delivery of the lines in JPN more.

A bonus favorite would be either ひぐらしのなく頃に or Serial Experiments Lain, but probably the former since I really like the loop it through me into, lol. The style is notoriously... questionable, but I do like how it tells its story and how the characters are elaborated on.

3 hours ago, ahnchc said:

I could go on forever about why I decided to list these particular shows instead of some others, but it's really just my own taste in the end.

Yeah of course. Sorry if I made it sound like you had to justify your choices.

The additional info is more useful in terms of knowing what people may/may not have seen yet, based on when they started watching anime/age group. Someone who started watching anime in 2015 will have a list that differs from someone who began watching since 2000. Maybe you might like Isekai anime like SAO and Re:Zero, but have never heard of older anime like Inuyasha, .hack//Sign, or Escaflowne to know if it dwarfs all of the above. Your taste in sub/dub and who's best girl/waifu aren't gonna be a factor here, cuz people like what they like.

Since I have watched anime for almost 25 years, my list in particular was/is very hard to pinpoint, and that's because I combined many factors like how old I was when I saw them, which ones I have re-watched since then and still enjoyed, animation style/narration/story elements, and which ones still provide me that sense of nostalgia, reinforcing the notion that that's why it's one of my top 5 ever.

3 hours ago, Paraph said:

Utena
Evangelion
Serial Experiments Lain
Boogiepop Phantom
Noir

Good to see someone who is a fan of Boogiepop series and Noir :D

I started watching anime since the 90s during my preschool days. I can't recall the title but I know it was a mecha anime. I didn't realize it was called anime at the time. Watching DBZ on cartoon network was when I became aware of the medium.

As for my top 5...

Gungrave

Gundam Build Fighters

Waiting in the Summer

Your Name

The Vision of Escaflowne

I'm mostly a sub watcher but there are some amazing dubs out there that outperforms the original such as Cowboy Bebop being the most obvious one.

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

[redacted for the sake of space]

Understandable!

I've seen what are often considered classics (including the listed few, with my favorite from the bunch being Inuyasha) but I just think my list has stuck with me more (though a majority of them are notoriously avantgarde in style).

If anyone's interested: my first few anime were ベルサイユのばら on the sacred VHS, then Dragon Ball, and then between Sailor Moon or FLCL iirc.

20 minutes ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

I’m still surprised no one has judged me for my tastes lol

Oh, I did lol.

Edit: If you had said the first 1/2 of DitF then I'd say yay, but we all know that show took a massive dump after EP 15 lol.

12 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

Oh, I did lol.

Edit: If you had said the first 1/2 of DitF then I'd say yay, but we all know that show took a massive dump after EP 15 lol.

Unpopular Opinion: I liked the whole series 

EDIT: Don't know whether that reaction was sarcastic or not but ok lol

Not gonna lie doe, Jojo would have been #5 (and bumped Violet Evergarden off), but I just can't get anyone else to watch it, making me think I'm the only one who thought it was good, so I must be wrong lol.

1 hour ago, YuyoDrift said:

Not gonna lie doe, Jojo would have been #5 (and bumped Violet Evergarden off), but I just can't get anyone else to watch it, making me think I'm the only one who thought it was good, so I must be wrong lol.

violet evergarden is very good, one of the best shows that season and year, I'm excited for the movie.

man this is such a loaded discussion but since it is top 5 "favorite" here are mine in no particular order.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

Hajime no Ippo

FLCL

3-gatsu no Lion

That was legit hard as fuck, if you were to ask me to do it over next week it would likely be completely different (except FLCL, that shit will always be a fav). oh btw I started watching anime in 1999 when I was around 7 years old.

now i will include what I consider to be top 5 of all time, there's a important distinction between the two;

Dragon Ball

Kidou Senshi Gundam

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu

Cowboy Bebop

Ghost in the shell

(would probably throw evangelion in here somewhere as well as Akira if we are doing movies)

I'm more of a movie guy so I'll add top 5 anime series and movies. But I've been watching anime for about 15 years.

Series:

Berserk

Cowboy Bebop

Elfen Lief

Afro Samurai

Gungrave

Movies:

Ninja Scroll

Akira

Ghost in the Shell

Howls Moving Castle

Batman Ninja

In random order

Series:

Trigun

The Big O

Paranoia Agent

Space Dandy 

JJBA

Movies:

Genius Party

Paprika

Akira

Cat Soup

Cyber City Oedo (not sure if it counts as a movie or a series cuz its an OVA)

Honorable mention:

that one Guyver ova from like the late '80s / early '90s

i have a weakness for mechs, mindfuck stuff and pre-2000's cyberpunk 

Series;

Hellsing Ultimate

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu

Gankutsuou

Wolf’s Rain

Casshern Sins

Movies;

Vampire Hunter D (2000)

Redline

Juubee Ninpuuchou

Arion

Tibet Inu Monogatari

Might have started watching around 2010, with the exception of children’s shows and whatever was dubbed on television here. 

Edited by Lestat