psychonnect_rozen

What genres would you like to see more of in VK

I’ve been dying for a band similar to Industrial with bands like KMFDM or Ministry. 

I guess technically Schiwen would count since it’s the dudes from Buck Tick with Sascha from KMFDM but other than that nothing else.

Edited by psychonnect_rozen
Previous topic already exists

we literally have an entire sub-forum dedicated to western stuff

2 hours ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

I’ve been dying for a band similar to Industrial with bands like KMFDM or Ministry.

If you're not strictly looking for vk bands, I can recommend MUSHI or BAAL for a cool industrial rock sound (latter one moreso). They're a bit more similar to stuff like Skinny Puppy or a more electronic Marilyn Manson.

Spoiler

If you like even more electro in your industrial, give DEMONOID 13 a try too (tho they're more EBM).

Spoiler

But to echo your opinion, I would like to hear this type of music reflected in vk more too! :D 

Edited by Jigsaw9

6 hours ago, psychonnect_rozen said:

I guess technically Schiwen would count since it’s the dudes from Buck Tick with Sascha from KMFDM but other than that nothing else.

You can always fall back on the likes of Velvet Eden and Blam Honey, i'm sure there's gotta be something that fits the bill nicely if you start exploring peripherally related artists. There's also this band called Mesumerian I remember reading about on invasion dreams but I wouldn't be surprised if they turned out to be more "Powerman 5000" than "Ministry"

2 hours ago, suji said:

black metal or new age, that would be fucking sweet

I second this.

In general, just less of those annoying synths a lot of VK bands like to build off of these days.

Instead of having the scene go around appropriating gimmicks I'd just rather have it go back to what it used to be. It's not like anything has happened in rock music in over ten years other than metalcore dying and a collective turning back the clock to feed on nostalgia, which then as a result synthesised what he have now with our impression of the past. It happened in vk too sort of with nu-metal coming back and bands getting darker and edgier, but it petered out finally once AINS was gone and now what we got is r-fucking-shitei and raido cutting themselves in music videos. The best thing that I could hope for is bands like that we got with that wave but just better, and with more (post-)punk and definitely less metal. I think a lot of band guys miss this old school attitude and music too from what I can tell from interviews, and yet they seem to be hopelessly inept in realising it. I guess they can want what they want but if the gya ain't buying it, they ain't going to do it. And since we're here I wouldn't mind something going were bands like La'cryma christi, Luna Sea, L'arc and Eins:Vier were going at their most ambitious but this will never happen.

Either way I want something darker, visceral and ambitious done with the genre's already existing foundations instead of some fucking flavor of the month metal gimmick. I mean come on that's just terrible.

37 minutes ago, Disposable said:

Instead of having the scene go around appropriating gimmicks I'd just rather have it go back to what it used to be. It's not like anything has happened in rock music in over ten years other than metalcore dying and a collective turning back the clock to feed on nostalgia, which then as a result synthesised what he have now with our impression of the past. It happened in vk too sort of with nu-metal coming back and bands getting darker and edgier, but it petered out finally once AINS was gone and now what we got is r-fucking-shitei and raido cutting themselves in music videos. The best thing that I could hope for is bands like that we got with that wave but just better, and with more (post-)punk and definitely less metal. I think a lot of band guys miss this old school attitude and music too from what I can tell from interviews, and yet they seem to be hopelessly inept in realising it. I guess they can want what they want but if the gya ain't buying it, they ain't going to do it. And since we're here I wouldn't mind something going were bands like La'cryma christi, Luna Sea, L'arc and Eins:Vier were going at their most ambitious but this will never happen.

Either way I want something darker, visceral and ambitious done with the genre's already existing foundations instead of some fucking flavor of the month metal gimmick. I mean come on that's just terrible.

Wholeheatedly agree. Adding to this, I feel like the scene needs more memorable characters like Mana, hide, YOSHIKI and Kiyoharu. Even Kyo during his scratching-his-mouth-apart phase. They all brought some sort of mysterious aura that drew people to them and consequently the scene as a whole and that's important too. We have people like KAMIJO, Gara, Ao Sakurai etc who pull their antics to a certain degree, but it's all rather subdued compared to the theatrics we used to have back then. We all know visual kei isn't all about the music, but once you couple some sterile metal with boring personalities who literally bring nothing to the table performance-wise, things are faded to be unmemorable.

Edited by saishuu

Hard disagree on black metal. Black metal = cryptic, rural, glorifies antiquity. vk = aggressively cosmopolitan and modern, even if you go back to the oldschool stuff. Combining the two would just be incoherence, or one of the two would just be reduced to superficial flavoring (probably black metal). And you know they wouldn't be taking influences from the good bands. There will never be a Grand Belial's Key-influenced vk band in this or any universe.

I say crust punk. Crossover thrash-leaning vk tends to work out pretty well, so this probably would too. And the one problem of the genre-the asinine politics-probably wouldn't be inherited.

Noise elements could be cool, and I think they could work well in a vk band given the right members.

Edited by Tanishi

i just want more of this (and i genuinely mean it - luckily they unexpectedly dropped an album just a couple years ago)

Edited by Tokage

1 hour ago, LIDL said:

XA-VAT genre. And dark wave. So these metal stuffs are not so over saturated anymore.

I get the feeling that japanese dark wave artists that openly associate with VK will always be kind of rare since there's already a well established scene for them to operate in and they both already share the same melodramatic elements and extravagant visuals. It's essentially a niche within a constantly shrinking niche. There was a wave of them in the past but aiming to make it as "a VK artist" was a lot more profitable back then and hoping to reach broader audiences probably seemed like a more realistic prospect for the guys pulling the strings. I imagine there must have been more room to try things out and cross into different genres than there has been in recent times.

Also Shuji had to establish himself as a scene veteran first before he could start messing around and release music as Goatbed and XA-VAT. Basically you've gotta keep your fingers crossed that another VK daddy will come up with a new side-project where he gets to play whatever the hell he wants.

Edited by Milayou