Shaolan974

DIMLIM new album, "MISC." release

hate to buy into retsu's mid 20s crisis, but i like the song and the samples sound good to me lmao

still think they've messed up beyond repair image-wise, but i'm gonna be jamming to the album

also 'before it's too late' sounds like it'd fit right into gackt's discography tbh

Idk if its because america is basically one day behind japan but I preordered the album and it says itll be available on monday 1/27 instead of the following day. I wonder if anyone would know if this means at midnight of 1/27 I'll be able to download and listen or if at like fucking 11:59pm of that day its available lol

I'm very relieved the whole thing is not as low budget as everyone feared. This sound definitely fits them, but I don't think the whole "dropping VK" thing will do them any favours - I really wonder which audience they are targeting with this?

Edited by Kaleidoscope

Not really sure how y'all could enjoy tracks like Rijin and Vanitas but somehow hate this. Sure they're emphasising the mathy elements more while downplaying the heavier side somewhat, but it's hardly a complete 180 from their last couple of releases or anything.

Anyway I'm basically a math slut so I'll let this song have its way with me. All hail visual math kei etcetc.

They dezertified themselves but at the same time got more wanky, and it works. I don’t know if I will care about an album of that but they definitely did not embarrass themselves. A bit worried about the other songs but this one is just as good as anything they did before imo

58 minutes ago, Tokage said:

i'd  much, MUCH rather take this noodly math rock stuff over deathcore any day of the week for sure, so from that POV i'm definitely not as disappointed with the samples as I could've been (plus I'm somewhat glad we didnt get any xXx_sadboigoth_xXx shit thrown at us, as unintentionally hilarious as that would've been).. At the same time, anyone who's ever listened to even a bit of non-vk j-indie probably knows this particular brand of pop math rock sound has already been done to death in that scene  to about the same extent the nu-VK scene's dredged the swamp of mediocre xxxcore-influenced sounds, so I can't really see this ending up being anything other than yet another album to add to the ''vaguely sounds like cinema staff/sokoninaru/the cabs/tricot'' pile based on the samples.

The "deathcore" style done in a good way (emphasis on done in a good way) is what I see the majority of people want to hear

(as in most oversea fans (I do know in the idk 10 years you state your dislike for it that you arent one of those ;)), I feel japanese fans seem not care how a band sounds as long as it sounds 'good' and focus more on the bandmember look/behavior)

The harsher/darker style done in a really good way in vk (that isnt dir) seems always missing in the scene since the bands doing it well enough change to a style that is, as you already wrote, done to death. Still good music, just creating a void again and forces people to listen to those 2nd, 3rd tier shit like Nazare etc.

34 minutes ago, Kaleidoscope said:

I really wonder which audience they are targeting with this?

same audience that leaves non-vk indie j-bands feeling disappointed and going nowhere x

25 minutes ago, Pho said:

Not really sure how y'all could enjoy tracks like Rijin and Vanitas but somehow hate this.

as a hater, it's a very easy decision!

rijin was evolving on their past sound (and it already overdid some things i.e. guitar wank);

this (and the majority of album samples) sounds like a product off a typical recycle spree VK bands fall into by their 2nd major album, except there's no remote chance  of major labels hunting for these guys anytime soon.

I'll have to say I never liked vanitas that much aside for the teapot squeal, which they don't do anymore anyway, so w/e.

Forgive me but I don't see what's so special about "What's up?". Sounds like a bunch of half realized ideas spread too thin over odd time signatures to me. The chorus is the only remotely memorable part. I've basically checked out of the scene and am coming fresh off CHE DO A RA so I'll ask one more time: which one of these members had the breakdown and decided to go j-indie?

21 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Forgive me but I don't see what's so special about "What's up?". Sounds like a bunch of half realized ideas spread too thin over odd time signatures to me. The chorus is the only remotely memorable part. I've basically checked out of the scene and am coming fresh off CHE DO A RA so I'll ask one more time: which one of these members had the breakdown and decided to go j-indie?

This is Retsu’s fault. 

I like math & prog rock and appreciate the hodgepodge of sounds in "What's Up?"... That being said, from what I hear in the samples, this whole album comes off as very messy, like throw it against the wall and see what sticks -kind of messy. This alludes to how disorganized the band is at the moment, and while I'm a sucker for all that is experimental & chaotic, this execution (from what I collectively hear in the samples) is half-baked and unsustainable. 

They've had time to coalesce around "a sound", and instead of figuring out where they fit, they've disfigured the puzzle piece so much I don't know where they belong anymore. My ears might like it, but I'm not sure this approach is great for a band that wants to retain a sizable fanbase.

* As for this "just" being conceptual, I'm not sure if they had the luxury for this, especially with a full album. Honestly, they've "been" conceptual as of recent, and even if it has that label, it still has to hold its own as a full album. This could lead to a banger in the future if they ring it back in with some consistency.

Edited by colorful人生

1 hour ago, Pho said:

Not really sure how y'all could enjoy tracks like Rijin and Vanitas but somehow hate this. Sure they're emphasising the mathy elements more while downplaying the heavier side somewhat, but it's hardly a complete 180 from their last couple of releases or anything.

Anyway I'm basically a math slut so I'll let this song have its way with me. All hail visual math kei etcetc.

It sounds like everyone in Sokoninaru and Develop One’s Faculties are playing at the same time while falling down the stairs 

I think some people are missing the meaning of "conceptual" in the " MISC is a conceptual album" sentence.

I mean, of course it's different from CHE DO A RA, shouldn't it be?

And this notable confusion of directions, mixed bunch of ideas being throwed around would actually fit the concept of MISC., as in short of Miscellaneous, right?

I'm pretty excited for this, is shaping to be a pretty interesting experience

2 hours ago, filth_y said:

The harsher/darker style done in a really good way in vk (that isnt dir) seems always missing in the scene since the bands doing it well enough change to a style that is, as you already wrote, done to death. Still good music, just creating a void again and forces people to listen to those 2nd, 3rd tier shit like Nazare etc.

The unfortunate truth right here, bands that manage to nail the gloomy style for a while always either seem to gradually move away from it or simply end up doomed to forever dwell the Ikebukuro Chop purgatory / disbanding due to underexposure. 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to at least downloading totally legally purchasing this one when it drops just to check it out

Yeah I was expecting much worse. Well, the song has a lot going on and it's as such pretty hard to absorb in a few listens, but it's kinda cool. Of course if it wasn't by the heavy elements I wouldn't even give a listen to the band, and as such seeing them ditching the heavy elements is a bit underwhelming, but I always thought they were very good at writing poppy, memorable stuff (actually the first time I heard Chedoara it was exactly the softer parts that stood out the most to me) so I don't think everything is lost. I agree the song is a bit derivative (isn't all VK though) and I feel like they've really betting all slots in this mathy clean guitar kind of sound that has been absolutely blowing up lately (see Ichika Nito and all that) so it doesn't have that strong of a first impact as something like "Vanitas" or "Shigarami" (or even "Aharewata" for that matter, as much as I hate that song), but is definitely a grower. The production is good but I wish I could pick Sho's vocal harmonies on the chorus better.

Haven't heard the itunes samples and I don't think I can either tbh so don't have anything to say about anything else. 2 SEs are absolutely unnecessary though

How come no one has mentioned the absences that 2 instruments really made in that PV? 

I admire their decision to move forward as 3 members, but this lacked any character and with sho being the only color to the bands sound, I can’t see myself getting into this until they manage to find replacement members. 

I’ll agree that it sounded just like Rijin, just missing a huge chunk of sound, almost like listening to it with only one side of a headphone lol.

Después de escuchar esto, estoy más entusiasmado con la banda Nazare ... seguro de que su nuevo álbum Menophila pateará traseros

https://fnd.io/#/us/album/1495498241-misc-by-dimlim

the samples sound almost the same, they look like a progressive funky rock band. I prefer its raw sound more than before .. a soft song is fine but the samples sound very bland for my taste

Edited by GuancheVK

22 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

How come no one has mentioned the absences that 2 instruments really made in that PV? 

It still sounds layered to shit to me. 

1 hour ago, Saishu said:

It sounds like everyone in Sokoninaru and Develop One’s Faculties are playing at the same time while falling down the stairs 

At least that'd make Sokoninaru interesting.