Sign in to follow this  
secret_no_03

Paperback vs Hardcover

I like that you can take a paperback everywhere, they're bendable, easy to pack, store and some you can even carry in your pocket, but on the other hand, nothing feels like a well made, hardcover book, some being literal art pieces besides being statement pieces. I usually buy paperbacks as they're cheaper, but if it were something I really cared about I'd probably get a hardcover or even two copies, one to display and one to travel with. 

So, onto the question, what do you prefer and why? Do you prefer the stiff, glossy look and feel of a hardcover book or do you like a malleable, portable paperback that you can just throw in a bag or store in the glove compartment and go?

I like the ease of carrying paperbacks, especially bunko-hon. It's nice that you're able to read them easily even standing up on a crowded metro. On the other hand, it takes time for new books to be released as paperbacks if they are even released in that format so I have a few books that I had to buy in hardcover. The reading experience between the two feels kind of different for me, like I'm more likely to have longer reading sessions for hardcover books. It's kind of hard to compare the two since the types of books I have for each are pretty different (novels for paperback and nonfiction for hardcover). If I had the choice I'd probably just buy paperback though.

It depends on whether or not the hardcover in question has a sleeve. As much as I love the professional look/feel of them, I hate it when they have a sleeve because it always shifts about and annoys me, so if it does I'd go for a paperback.

Sign in to follow this