Neon

Last movie you saw.

Ghosts of Sugar Land - Short documentary with a bunch of suburban muslims who talks about their friend who joined ISIS. This could've been great, but it ends up only being speculative and nothing else. Should've gone more in-depth into both the one who left, and the lives of his previous friends.

Red Riding: The Year of Our Lord 1974 - First of three movies in the Red Riding trilogy series. Dark, bleak and grim-as-fuck thriller set to 1974 with a journalist trying to soles a bunch of child murders. Thought it was really good, and the atmosphere was crushing. So fucking grim!

Red Riding: The Year of Our Lord 1980 - The second part is less grim, but it does provide a few answers from the first movie and is really good as well. This shit is highly recommended!

Looking forward to part 3.

Good Boys - Profane, wacky and rude, but with a lot of heart, warmth and with a thoughtful message. Very funny film.

The Commuter - It is 2018 and people still haven't learnt to leave Liam Neeson's family alone. The Commuter is Jaume Collet-Serra's n'th movie with Liam Neeson, and he's made this movie before. Just with another setting. This isn't super amazing, but it's really fun and Liam Neeson is cool as hell as usual. So it's a very enjoyable film.

The Mule - Clint Eastwood is getting old, but the man has learnt from the best and you are still able to see that. Superbly directed and well-acted, especially from the man himself. The story is cool, and the fact that it's based on a true story is nothing short of insane. What a story! Anyway, good move from Mr. Eastwood and hopefully not his last movie yet.

Bad Day for the Cut - Fantastic Irish crime thriller by Chris Baugh in his feature film debut. It's intense and suspenseful, but witty as hell without crossing into comedy territory. Thought this was really damn good, and Nigel O'Neill is really amazing throughout. Great stuff!

Angel Has Fallen - If you have seen Olympus and London Has Fallen and thought they were entertaining you'll probably find this amusing. It's more of the same, and Gerard Butler is playing his usual self. But I don't really tire from these movies, same as with Liam Neeson. He can just do the same over and over again and I'm happy about it. Dumb entertainment. Fun!

Cargo  - Swizz sci-fi thriller that could've been great, but it gets lost along the way. Shame, because the setting is awesome, it's visually very good looking despite a rather low budget and it's well-acted. Starts out really good too, but then it just mess everything up trying to be clever. Wasted potential.

Who Killed Captain Alex? - The Ugandan movie that started it all (not the first, but the one who started it for sure!). Who Killed Captain Alex? is a super low-budget action movie made on around $85. This is the type of movie that's not made to make money or to please anyone with the exception of the people included. It's poor and awful in so many ways, but it's full of heart and the icing on the top is the video joked VJEmmie. A video joker is someone who runs jokes and gags over the movie throughout the film, and this is quite common in Uganda. It's hilarious and perfect for an evening with friends, beer and pizza.

Bad Black - Another Ugandian action movie made by the same guy, with the same VJ. This isn't quite as good, but it's still hilarious and well worth a watch. Incredibly silly and over the top.

I highly recommend everyone with a slight interest in movies and cinema to check out the documentary Wakaliwood: The Documentary which is about Nabwana I.G.G., the godfather of Ugandian action cinema. A must see!

Brick - The 2005 Rian Johnson movie. Unique in many ways, and especially with the overall, hard-boiled detective neo-noir story and characters, but with a High School setting.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a huge minus as he sucks, but the movie itself is awesome.

Hellboy - There's a lot of positive to say about this movie, but sadly there's equal parts negative to say. It's too messy, the overall tone of the movie changes so much it's hard to take it serious in any way. In one part it's dark horror, then in the next scene it's a lighthearted, silly comedy, then it's pure badass action before it turns into a horror-comedy...and then a lighthearted adventure movie. And so on. David Harbour is fantasti and badass as Hellboy, but he's let down by a poor script and poor directing.

Never Back Down - Heard this was supposed to be bad, and it was. But watched it because I heard the sequels are good.

Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown - Michael Jai White's directorial debut, and he does well. But the movie is just too rooted in drama. I wish it let loose a bit and just went wild with fights. Better than the first, but not very good. Decent at best.

6 Underground - Michael Bay's first film for Netflix feels like Michael Bay is trying to make an unofficial Fast and the Furious movie. And it works. I thought this was fun. It's silly, dumb, over the top and fucking stupid. But it's fun. Turn your brain off and let yourself be entertained.

Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Documentary about the creation of TMNT, its impact and so on. Thought this was a really good documentary, but it's a tad too short at 98 minutes. Could've been twice as long as it moves a bit too fast in parts. But it was really good.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The classic 1990 movie. This has truly stood the test of time and is really good. Much darker than I remembered, but really good and fun. Awesome!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze - Not nearly as good as the first, and a much more lighthearted affair, but it's really fun throughout nonetheless.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III - A bit darker than the second, much of it due to the fact that the TMNT went back to using their weapons a bit more again. Similar to the first. But still not as dark as the first movie, but very fun nonetheless. Love the setting in ancient Japan.

did anyone see the new fail wars yet? i thought it was quite hilarious and fun to watch. unlike my pals, who were utterly disappointed and angry, even, i actually quite enjoyed it because i didn't expect it to have any sense whatsoever. so in a way it exceeded my expectations lol

The Last Stand - Rewatched this today. This was Kim Jee-woon's first American movie after having impressed with one amazing movie after another in South-Korea, and it marked Arnold Schwarzenegger's return to action movies. The Last Stand is an over the top, silly and stupid action movie in the vein of the 80's, and it's amazing. Liked it even more now than when it was released. Great film!

Ocean's Eight - A spin off, or just a sequel if you want, to the Ocean's movies starring a female cast. Not nearly as bad as the Ghostbusters remake which also featured a female cast, but not very good either. It lacks the wit, intelligence and style and is just boring. Awkwafina is fun, but Rihanna is just beyond fucking awful and James Corden should just put a shotgun to his temple and pull the trigger already. He's just annoying as hell.

VHS Massacre - Documentary about the rise, but more than all fall, of the VHS. It's fun and entertaining, but not close to being the best documentary about VHS. 

Lost Holiday - Disappointing crime comedy that's neither funny nor smart or interesting. Calls inbetween everything. Boring.

12 Strong - Oscar bait. Decent entertainment, but not a very good film. Takes an interesting plot and makes it into a standard war film by Americans, for Americans. Losers.

Midnight Run - Classic buddy cop film. Not nearly as funny as some of the other 80's buddy cop movies, but the plot and characters is really good. Very good movie!

Bikram: Yogi, Guru, Predator - Interesting story about yet another charismatic figure who were able to get plenty people to his side, then abuse them and act like a good. Sad stuff tbh, but it's interesting how we see this shit over and over and over again. People, both like this guy and his followers, are fucking pathetic.

Death Race 2, Death Race: Inferno, Death Race: Beyond Anarchy

Yeah, I watched the three installments in the new Death Race series. The first one, a remake starring Jason Statham, was fun and all. Death Race 2 is a prequel to the 2008 remake, with Inferno being a sequel to the prequel and Beyond Anarchy a sequel to the 2008 remake. They're dumb, stupid and brainless fun. Nothing more, nothing less. Decent entertainment if you turn your brain off for 110 minutes each movie.

Death Race 2050 - You can call this a remake, sequel to the original, classic 1975 movie or a soft reboot of the franchise. Doesn't matter, they all fit. This has nothing to do with the Death Race series I talked about above.

This isn't as good as the original, but this is still pretty damn good. Did not see that coming. This is super silly, over the top and campy, but it does feature much of the charm of the original. It's obvious they've found their inspiration in the original here, and not the reboot of the franchise. Would love to see a sequel to this as this was a lot of fun. Highly recommended if you like the 1975 movie. Damn son!

Randomly watched Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets last night. It was big dumb sci-fi adventure fun, no more no less. Obviously not a cinematic masterpiece but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Knives Out - Rian Johnson has received a lot of hate for The Last Jedi, rightly so even tho I personally found it entertaining, but with Knives Out he's made one of the best movies of the year. The movie features an ensemble cast including Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Toni Collette and more, and is a modern take on the whodunit that we all know and love. It's familiar, but still a very unique approach to the genre which makes it unique. Exciting, suspenseful, hilarious. Amazing movie!

Daniel Craig completely killed it! His best performance so far? Most likely.

Pray for Death - Action movie with ninjas and shit, directed by Gordon Hessler who a decade and some earlier made classic horror movies like The Oblong Box, Cry of the Banshee, Scream and Scream Again and Murders in the Rue Morgue, as well as The Golden Voyage of Sinbad among other things. Pray for Death stars none other than legendary ninja actor Sho Kosugi. This isn't a smart movie or a masterpiece by any means, but it's so much fun. Just fun throughout! Love it.

Foolproof - Decent enough mid 2000's heist movie. It features Ryan Reynolds before he became a great actor, and while I was entertained, this isn't all that. It's ok, but that's it.

Tower Heist - Another heist movie, this time starring Ben Stiller, Eddie Murphy, Casey Affleck and more. It's ok. Slightly better than Foolproof, but it's too long and not funny enough. It just lacks those laugh out loud moments. But I was entertained nonetheless.

Martial Law - Early 1990's martial arts action movie starring Chad McQueen, Cynthia Rothrock and David Carradine. A very cool movie, but neither Cynthia Rothrock or David Carradine is given enough screentime, and the plot is a bit too basic for its own good. But it's good alright.

Martial Law II: Undercover - The sequel is way better and gives Cynthia Rothrock a bit more to do. Chad McQueen is replaced by a much better and cooler Jeff Wincott. No David Carradine which is a loss, but the movie is just so much betteron all levels. Really cool film.

Tiger Claws - Another Cynthia Rothrock movie, this time from 1992. This is probably her best film. Cynthia Rothrock is just fucking cool, Jalal Merhi is not a good actor a damn cool guy anyway, and Bolo Yeung is just a total legend. Fantastic film!

In Search of the Last Action Heroes - Oliver Harper helped fund the truly brilliant horror documentary In Search of Darkness, and diretcor of In Search of Darkness, David A. Weiner, helped produce this. And that alone kinda tells you what kind of a documentary this is. In Search of Darkness focused on the different type of horror movies of the 80's, the trends and all that, but In Search of the Last Action Heroes doesn't look too closely into the action movies but rather the actors and the big heroes. It's only two and a half hour long, which feels kinda short, but it does cover a lot of ground and features interviews with actors, producers, directors and composers. Magnificent stuff! Really cool to see Cynthia Rothrock play a big part as she was a huge b-movie action star of the 80's and 90's, and of course total motherfucking legend Al Leong! No one knows this guy by name, but he's one of the greatest of all time and every action movie fan knows his face. C U L T H E R O !

Faster - Cool, fast-paced action-thriller with Dwayne Johnson. Not very original and really predictable, but fun nonetheless.

Savate - Decent, but very disappointing Isaac Florentine western martial arts movie. It's ok and fun enough, but Olivier Gruner just isn't a very good lead, He lacks charisma and star power. But it was OK.

Mission of Justice - Super awesome early 90's action flick starring Jeff Wincott and Brigitte Nielsen. It feels like oe of those really good Cynthia Rothrock movies, just without here. It's really cool, really badass, really fun.

Beirut - Intense political thriller that never gets too deep into the political aspect of it all, which to me is good as that tends to lead movies more towards drama. But this was fast-paced and intense. Jon Hamm and Rosamund Pike were both excellent.

The FP - Super cheesy 80's inspired action-ish movie much in the vein of Turbo Kid and the likes. It's flawed and not nearly as good as Turbo Kid, but it's original and fun anyway. Which the whole dancing aspect of it was better executed tho.

FP2: Beats of Rage - More of the same, but slightly better on all aspect. Fun stuff.

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot - This is basically the first movie all over again, but without the fun in it. This was super disappointing. Shame really.

Close Range - Isaac Florentine actioner starring Scott Adkins. Super fucking cool tbh. Brutal and wild. Loads and loads of fun!

Weathering With You

Saw this at a local theater that was only showing it for 2 days. Decided to watch it dub since it's the earliest time slot, also I didn't want my eyes focused on the bottom of the screen 70% of the time when the movie has gorgeous visuals to be watched. When it comes out on home video, then it'll be subs all the way. The dub overall isn't too bad. As for the movie itself, it's utterly beautiful. This may sound weird saying this but I've never seen water look so good animated. Unfortunately, it followed the exact same film structure as Your Name making things a bit predictable and it definitely was a lower tier in terms of story and characters. The climax was one of the biggest head scratches I had. I wish I could give out the details but that would be spoilers. I had criticisms throughout the movie but it's relatively minor. In the end, it was enjoyable and I'm sure most people who liked Your Name will find it entertaining. 7/10

Adventure Force 5 - This is basically a child-friendly action-adventure in the vein of Stranger Things, where things goes to hell and it's up to five different type of kids to save shit. Think Stranger Things, Goonies etc. It's got its limitations due to budget, and some of the CGI was pretty poor, but the movie is really good. Highly recommended!

Terminator Genisys - The first reboot of the franchise, and the first movie/series in the Terminator franchise since 2003's Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines featuring Arnold. This follows Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Is it good? Nah, not at all. But it's OK entertainment anyway. Arnold is king tho!

Terminator: Dark Fate - It's four years later, and time for another reboot of the series. This ALSO following Terminator 2: Judgment Day. That's fucking hilarious! This also featuring Arnold, as well as Linda Hamilton, and this is actually a pretty good film. Way too much CGI of course, but it's pretty entertaining and fun. Arnold is king! Easily the best Terminator movie since Terminator 2: Judgement Day. It is, however, not better than Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles tho. Which is so fucking underrated.

The VelociPastor - Based on the poster I expected some cheap SyFy or The Asylum flick and I was close to skipping it, but I'm glad I decided to watch it because this was one wild 80's grindhouse worship. It's closer to movies like Manborg, Commando Ninja and Kung Fury than anything cheap SyFy or The Asylum related. A fucking VelociPastor, drug dealing ninjas and more. Awesome movie!

MacGruber - This movie is spun off from SNL and is spoofing all kinds of movies, most notably MacGyver, tons of James Bond movies, Die Hard and so on. It's easy to understand why it's gained cult status. Silly and over the top, and always funny as hell. Excellent!

Uncut Gems - Benny Safdie and Josh Safdie continue to create thrillers and cast against type. A few years ago it was Robert Patterson in Good Time, this time around it's Adam Sandler in Uncut Gems. And Adam Sandler is KILLING it! Easily his best performance ever, and a performance that proves that he belongs amongst the big names in Hollywood. Just a mindblowing performance, and the performance alone is well worth your time. Add that to the mix of a thrilling drama-thriller that'll stress you the fuck out and keep you on the edge of your seat, and there's no way you'll be disappointed. Superb!

On 2/3/2020 at 8:36 PM, Bear said:

Uncut Gems - Benny Safdie and Josh Safdie continue to create thrillers and cast against type. A few years ago it was Robert Patterson in Good Time, this time around it's Adam Sandler in Uncut Gems. And Adam Sandler is KILLING it! Easily his best performance ever, and a performance that proves that he belongs amongst the big names in Hollywood. Just a mindblowing performance, and the performance alone is well worth your time. Add that to the mix of a thrilling drama-thriller that'll stress you the fuck out and keep you on the edge of your seat, and there's no way you'll be disappointed. Superb!

Watched it yesterday, and I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

You guys have to watch it! 10/10

3 hours ago, Visutox said:

Watched it yesterday, and I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

You guys have to watch it! 10/10

I was actually planning on watching it tonight! Great to see all the positive feedback.

For a Few Bullets - Action adventure western that feels like Indiana Jones meets The Good, the Bad, the Weird. There is so much to love here, but director Anzi Pan tried to chew over way, way, way more than he can handle. The movie is too fast-paced, always jumping around from place to place, never quite gives the characters time to grow and lacks from some visually weak spots. Some of the CGI is way too weak too. It's about two hours long, but should probably have been nearly three hours. Would've done the movie some good for sure.

21 Bridges - Chadwick Boseman, Sienna Miller, the always superb J.K. Simmons and Stephan James teams up for a suspenseful and fast-paced action-thriller that's really cool. It's kinda predictable, but it's really fun and got some nice characters. Really enjoyed this.