Neon

Last movie you saw.

R.O.T.O.R. - A gem of a film that rips off both The Terminator and RoboCop with elements of Judge Dredd, and it's absolutely magnificent. Proper late 80's über cheese. Everything is pretty awful, but I just loved it. Thought it was amazing!

Helps that the poster rips off Mad Max too. Awesome poster!

8971d3c5debe6cbfdbaff9bf490b783d--cool-p

Eliminators - Back in 1986 this film came straight from the cheese factory and it's such a cool fucking film. Is it good? Hell naaw, it's pretty bad in most ways. But it's a huge fucking gem of a film. It's hilarious, it's cooler than ice, it's badass and it's tough. I don't know what more can be said about this masterpiece. Oh, I know. Our mandroid teams up with a female scientist, a stupid boatdriver and suddenly a martial fucking artist played by none less than Conan Lee. Sounds fun? You bet it is!

Bty the way, this film was the main inspiration for Astron-6's masterpiece Manborg. Like, the whole idea of Manborg came from this film.

Watch it or die!

THE-ELIMINATORS.jpg

Deadly Prey - More 80's cheese straight from the cheese factory, this time from 87. What can be said about this? It's a late 80's crazy action flick with over the top action, massive mullets and war-inspired techno beats that's just one hell of a fast-paced ride from start to end. It's a complete garbage fest, but a great one. 

Amazing film!

600full-deadly-prey-poster.jpg

I went on to watch some Andrew Garfield films and was not disappointed.

The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 – Enjoyed both, they're fairly good. The second one is better than the first but both come with their tremendous lot of incoherence. If you're able to see past its numerous flaws, you might actually enjoy the hell out of it. Andrew Garfield was a good Peter Parker, too bad that his screen-time as Spidey is always very brief. Electro is a terrible villain btw, and I think he got too much screenplay for such a character... I'd have preferred to see more of Green Goblin, but one doesn't always get what he wishes for.

Hacksaw Ridge – The fact that this film was about WW2 helped me not thinking twice, and I really loved it. It was deep and I really don't have much to say about it, it really amaze me. The battles were on point too, and you could really feel how horrible it can be to be fighting in one. I also like how I started being annoyed by the character of Desmond Doss but started appreciating him more and more as the film progressed. Highly recommended.

Silence (2016) – After reading the book, I was afraid that the movie was going to be a huge flop... Hell, was I wrong. I actually think that the film was so representative of what the book has to offer and doesn't miss out on anything that is important. The acting was brilliant, the cinematography was terrific and Yosuke Kubozuka being in this film was a little plus that made me like it. Huge props to Martin Scorsese for this masterpiece. 

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

It was enjoyable. I liked it slightly better than VII. There are some serious pacing issues in some parts of the film that really made it drag. Aside from that, this movie pulls some unexpected directions that can be either a good or a bad thing. Really depends on how you perceive these changes.

mother! - This was interesting. I liked the whole concept and how it became more and more surreal and unsettling as it progressed. Neat stuff.

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Damn, this movie. Just brutal on all levels, both physically and emotionally. Another gem from the director of Bone Tomahawk. Can't wait for his next one!

Edited by Jigsaw9

Doctor Mordrid - Back in the late 80's the low-budget direct-to-video company Full Moon Features actually acquired the rights to produce a Doctor Strange film, but the option expired before the production began. Which in itself is weird as fuck as a superhero movie isn't what you'd expect to see from a Charles Band production. However instead of scrapping the project they re-wrote a few bits of it and kept the project going. The result was Doctor Mordrid, a low-budget supherhero film starring none other than Jeffrey Combs, best known for his appearances in horror films, and especially H.P. Lovecraft adaptions.

Doctor Mordid has all the elements of Dr. Strange and it's easy to see that this was originally to be a Dr. Strange film. But there's something awfully unique about it too, and directors Albert and Charles Band, father and son, get's a lot out of a slim budget. It's got a really cool visual style, a cool plot and a Jeffrey Combs who makes one of his best performances ever. He is truly shining in this hidden gem of a film.

It's short clocking in at only 75 minutes, and it wouldn't have hurt with 10-15 extra minutes. But it's fantastic as it is and if you ask me, I'll say it's among the 10 best superhero films ever made.

mordrid-lair.png

Logan - Finally! A superhero film that is more or less the opposite of every other superhero films over the past 25 years. It's dark and gritty as hell and it's got a fantastic story with a lot of depth both story- and character-wise. On top of that you get a lot of violence, blood and other things you will not see in any other superhero film the next few years.

What I really like about this is how everything about it is so unusual for a superhero films. A breath of fresh air for sure. And what we have is one of the 3 best superhero films ever, and easily the best superhero blockbuster ever.

screen-shot-2016-10-20-at-6.16.16-am_0.j

As much as I love plenty of the DC and Marvel films and serials on the bigger names of the genre, alternative superhero films are for most part a bigger interest to me. Stuff like The Toxic Avenger, Swamp Thing, RoboCop, Darkman, The Guyver, Unbreakable, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Kick-Ass, Turbo Kid, Faust: Love of the Damned, Zebraman, Danger: Diabolik, Kriminal, Satanik and so on. It just offers something very different from your big DC and Marvel stars, and it also lets the directors do something very different than the big blockbusters. The world needs more films like this, as well as Logan of course. And less of the standarized superhero films we get 10+ of every single year.

Primer – I had heard some nice things about this one, so I checked it out AND that was one of the best choices that I've ever taken in my entire life. Clearly deserves every good word it gets and makes any other film in the genre seem like total horseshit. The acting is on point, the plot was on point and its complexity is totally mind-blowing. Shane Carruth is a fucking genius for making such a great film with a budget of only 7,000 USD.

And so I went on checking it out another movie by him...

Upstream Color –  At least with Primer I can say that I was sort of sure that I was following the plot pretty well, but this one raped my brain without mercy. I started grasping some elements, of course, as the film progressed.... But overall, it is a quite coded movie with well hidden messages. Also the concept of the "life cycles" was pretty interesting. I had some difficulties to link the intro of the movie with the rest of it, because it made no sense at all. But then again, not everything has to have a meaning, or it doesn't necessarily have to be complicated. Other than that, excellent acting and amazing cinematography! 

Picasso Trigger - Andy Sidaris isn't exactly a known director, but he has gained some reputation among fans of cheese for his BBB films. What is BBB, you ask? Bullets, Bombs, and Babes, which sums up his films fairly well. Females had a huge role in his film, but he did not care if you could act or not. The thing he looked for was beautiful girls, which is why the cast always includes several Playboy Playmates and Penthouse Pets. Sidaris made no less than 12 BBB films (or L.E.T.H.A.L. Ladies as they are also known as), and while there isn't exactly any continuity throughout the films (I've seen at last), they all carry the same tone and the same type of lovely cheese.

Picasso Trigger is the third film in the series, and while it isn't as good as the classic cheesefest that is Hard Ticket to Hawaii and Savage Beach, it's a very entertaining entry to the series. Features Playmates such as Dona Speir, Hope Marie Carlton, Roberta Vasquez and Cynthia Brimhall. All these appears in several of the BBB films, and quite often they are showing plenty skin. And I don't mind.

picasso-trigger-1.jpg

Deathsport - This Roger Corman-produced post-apocalyptic action flick was meant as a sequel to the cult classic Death Race 2000, but it doesn't feel like one and it certainly does not deliver the same quality as Death Race 2000. Deathsport is a hugely disappointing action flick, and where Death Race 2000 delivers beautifully campy dialogue, black humour and plenty social commentary, this offers cheap action scenes and a serious tone. It's simply boring. Only positive is David Carradine who is cool as fuck as usual, but that is about it.

Black Scorpion - Super cheap superhero film with a female superhero known as the Black Scorpion, who is a bit like Batman. She's got no super abilities, she just know how to fight and got some gadgets. It's not a great film, but it is good, campy Batman-esque fun with a hot Joan Severance dressing super sleazy as the Black Scorpion. Just imagine Tim Burton's Batman with a female lead, a small budget and intended camp and you've got this.

It's hilarious how her costume features high heels, but every single time she's running or fighting she's got flat shoes. Funny as fuck!

Star Wars: The Last Jedi – When you are in the film industry, music industry or whatever industry, at some point you'll have to experiment, try new things but of course, you'll always have the freedom to play it safe if you wish. And, as time goes on, you end up developing your own signature, something that defines your music, (or your films, your paintings — your style, in one word.) What disappointed me with this episode, is the fact that they practically abandoned one particular and main aspect of Star Wars that makes the universe so cool and unique... My point: there is basically only one lightsaber battle, and it's not even between two (or more) main characters. Most of the film's most interesting aspects that I was looking forward to discover were in fact quite disappointing to end with. And during the key moments wherein the producers had the chance to make the film interesting and "different", they just made it previsible as fuck instead and without any interest. What I loved though, is obviously the gorgeous cinematography of the film. It has its lot of show, but sadly I think it successfully and deservedly managed to be the worst SW film to date (and I don't mean it's a bad film, not at all.)

Helter Skelter – So, Erika Sawajiri is one of my favorite Japanese female actresses and I was so looking forward to watch this movie. Before even watching it I knew she was going to have a "daring" role, I know it was going to be different from anything she ever did. Well, it pretty much was. But not only that, the acting was really on point and I like how disturbing it was as well. I still have to check out the manga, but I like to believe that this was a great interpretation. All the other actors did so well too: Shinobu Terajima, Yosuke Kubozuka, Kiko Mizuhara and so on. It felt good to watch a "recent but no so recent" Japanese movie that didn't suck, so yeah.

The Human Centipede, a friend wanted to watch it and I had nothing to do at the time.

It surprisingly wasn't as bad(gross) as so many people had me believing. 

Fury - Been wanting to see this since it came out, but haven't done so for whatever reason until now. And what a film! The story is as thin as a needle, but the four main characters are great, it's superbly acted and visually stunning, and more than anything it's really fucking grim and destructive. It turns a bit over the top during the end, but it felt really realistic throughout the majority of the film and the way it shows the horror, madness and cruelty of war is fantastic.

A breath of fresh air as far as war films goes IMO.

The Hitman's Bodyguard - To say I had high expectations to this would be a lie, but I did at least expect some sort of entertainment. And I was pleasantly surprised because this is a lot more than just 2 hours of decent entertainment. This was a very fun and exciting action-comedy with Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson in the lead roles, both being very good and very funny. Almost had me in tears at times. Was that fun!

Whatever Happened to Monday - Dystopian action-adventure by Tommy Wirkola, the man behind crapfests such as Død Snø I & II (Dead Snow) and Kill Buljo. I never understood the appeal of this filmmaker, and I still don't, even though this was a decent effort. Noomi Rapace plays seven different characters, but isn't too good if you ask me. Unlike Tatiana Maslany in Orphan Black, Noomi Rapace simply isn't good enough to make any of the characters different. Some of them are too alike, and with others she just tries to hard. Doesn't help her any that Tommy Wirkola spends about zero minutes building these characters, so that when each of them get into action they're just all the same. He should've spent at least 20 minutes of the film showing more of them as teens and young adults, to give us some clear indication on who each and one of these girls are. But nah, he doesn't do that. And it makes it hard for Noomi Rapace to give us a superb role, and it gives Wirkola a hard time telling a good story with good characters.

It's not an awful film, but it's not a very good one either. Decent entertainment at best. Some cool action scenes, though. But that's about it.

Falcon Rising - Nice little action flick starring Michael Jai White who is as badass as ever. Lots of great action scenes and... yeah, well that's about it. Lots of cool action scenes. Simple as that. There's been talk about this being the first out of many Falcon films, and I'd be happy to see more of Michael Jai White as John 'Falcon' Chapman.

Some very cool fights. Especially enjoyed the ones involving Lateef Crowder, a well-known Brazilian capoeira practitioner.

I saw the latest Star Wars film this last weekend.

As someone who feels the new episodes are underwhelming, this new one now holds the title as least enjoyable.

On 12/8/2017 at 1:12 AM, Bear said:

Shin Godzilla was amazing. Best Godzilla film in ages.

Very very true.

The Disaster Artist - James Franco will most likely never become a fantastic director, but he's done exceptionally well with The Disaster Artist and he's also turned into one hell of an actor. For those unaware, The Disaster Artist tells the true story of Tommy Wiseau and the making of The Room. I saw it with a couple of friends and we were all laughing throughout the entire film. One of the funniest comedies I've ever seen, but it just offers so much more than simple jokes. It's fantastic on a comedic level, but there's also an amazing story to it all. The story of a proper weirdo, a great friendship and so on.

It's also nice to see that James France has made this the hard way. It would be so easy to just make fun of Tommy Wiseau, but he's actually treating Tommy Wiseau with the greatest respect and paint him more like a weird, socially awkward and misunderstood person in general, than anything else. Which I really liked. No poking fun at Tommy or anything. Fantastic film!

Eastern Condors - Re-watched this masterpiece the other day. It's directed by none other than martial arts-god Sammo Hung (one of my favorite directors of all time!) and it's, like I already said, a masterpiece. It's a very different type of Sammo Hung film tho. The martial arts and great action is present, but it's got more straight-forward action than his usual films. You know, lots of gun and explosions and shit. He takes a lot from The Dirty Dozen, but that doesn't matter. Brilliant cast with Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Yuen Wah, Lam Ching-ying, Yuen Woo-ping, Corey Yuen and Billy Chow. Total classic!

Ms .45 - Raw, mean and bleak rape and revenge exploitation thriller about a mute girl who is raped twice on the same day and just looses it. You won't have to watch many minutes before you're reminded of classics like Thriller - A Cruel Picture, Death Wish and Taxi Driver, but it's got something of its own going on for sure. While it's not very violent, it's not for the faint-hearted. The atmosphere is so fucking depressing and destructive. Cult classic!

House of Fury - Silly but very entertaining martial art-comedy. The story is absolute nonsense, but it's got enough action and humour to make up for it. Remote control scene alone makes this film well-worth your time. So well-made and fun.

Rolling Vengeance - A 90 minute long cheese-o-rama about a guy who builds a big, fat, badass monster truck and makes the lives of several rednecks/white trash scum miserable.  It's not great film-making, but it's really fun and badass. Absolutely worth a watch if you're into cheese.

Raw Deal - While not Arnold's best, Raw Deal is a cool action film that offers lots of fun. Simple, straight-forward action with a total badass Schwarznegger.

The Guyver - The first of two films based on the classic manga by the same name. This isn't a very good adaption, but it's a cool enough film in general. Cheesy as fuck, but some really cool monster designs and action. However it's set back by lots of poor attempts at humour and a weak, weak Jack Armstrong in the lead. Mark Hamill however is very good.

Guyver: Dark Hero - For the sequel David Hayter replaced Jack Armstrong, and what a smart choice that was. David Hayter is actually a decent actor. Another thing is that this film is hella lot darker than the first one and more similar to the source material. This is actually a good film. Darker, more brutal and bloodier, and lot funner. This one gained a cult following over the years and it's easy to see why. Very good and cool film.

Hands of Steel - Mid-80's Italian cheese of the highest order. The first thing you'll notice is the cover which looks like a billion. It's so badass! It's complete trash, but it's the kind of trash I cannot get enough of. It's badness is nothing short of beautiful and this is close to perfection for fans of cheap mid-80's exploitation and general trash cinema. Cult as fuck!

Arena - Bloodsport in space. A fucking space-opera-esque version of Bloodsport. It's decent fun, but I wish it was grittier with more blood and gore. But it's a fun watch for what it is.

The Abyss - Re-watched this and I kinda regret that decision. It's technically a fantastic film on every level, but it just didn't do as much for me now as when I was younger. Felt like the atmosphere was lacking and there was just no real suspense or anything. This film could've done with a good monster tbh. But it's a great film otherwise and most people should be able to enjoy the shit out of it.

On 24/12/2017 at 8:59 PM, Hell2U said:

The Human Centipede, a friend wanted to watch it and I had nothing to do at the time.

It surprisingly wasn't as bad(gross) as so many people had me believing. 

Watch the second one, it's wayyyyyyy grosser 

On 1/16/2018 at 3:38 AM, TheZigzagoon said:

Watch the second one, it's wayyyyyyy grosser 

I actually have and you're right cause that laxative scene had me squirming the ENTIRE time.

I went on a bit of a netflix binge over the weekend. 

Friday the 13th: Original 

Friday the 13th 2

Open House:  Netflix, not too bad but kinda... unfinished? I dunno how to explain it. 

The Disapointments room:  Lived up to the name.  

Jonestown: Documentary   

Blade Runner 2049 - Finally watched this, and even though I can't usually take long-ass movies in theatres, I now kinda wish I had went and saw it on the big screen back when it came out. Amazing atmosphere and a slow-burning bleak story (there's not much to it in that department but the whole mood and pacing totally make up for it). Killer stuff.

Black Scorpion II: Aftershock - The first one was decent, but here they stepped up their game quite a bit. Unlike the first film, this one doesn't take itself serious at all. Black Scorpion is the same as in the last, but the vast majority of the characters are more cartoonish and there's camp everywhere. Aftershock is a sexy as fuck villain, but the supervillain in the film is Gangster Prankster, a hybrid of the Joker and Two-Face. And even more over the top than both. And I am not even joking. Quite hilarious!

Anyway, liked this.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 & 2 - I'll just review these as one film. I never liked The Hunger Games and from the first film it was always obvious that it was not aimed towards someone like me. But since I watched the first, I had to watch the rest. Thought the entire franchise became better and better as it started focus more and more on the politics, but the characters are lame, the dialogue is poor and Jennifer Lawrence is really off. I actually quite like Jennifer Lawrence, but I don't think she's good in these films. Overly dramatic performance, and every single time she screams in a sad/mad/whiny way it's hard to take it serious.

3/10 to the two first, 4/10 to the two last. Thank god I am finished.

The Accountant - Fun action-thriller with Ben Affleck and Anna Kendrick about an autistic accountant that's totally fucking badass. It's not perfect, but it was good and Ben Affleck is really good. I do however wish they had spent a bit more time going in the depth of his autism and so on, but what can one expect from a film like this. Good fun!

Black Mask - Chinese action film starring Jet Li as a genetically-engineered super-soldier that's taken on a mask and robe and acts as a superhero. The hero itself is pretty much a homage to Kato from The Green Hornet, but that's cool. Kato is very cool and all. The film, directed by Daniel Lee, is also really cool and it features a lot of nice martial arts and action scenes choreographed by none other than Yuen Wo Ping. I will not lie though, it's far from perfect. It's weirdly lighted and some shots feels off, but the action and its characters makes up for it. Jet Li is fantastic!

Boone: The Bounty Hunter - Boone: The Bounty Hunter is 85 minutes of pure low-budget cheese about a TV-star that is loosing his ratings and has to pull off something incredible to be able to get a new season. Sounds silly, and it is, but I thought it was really fun. Some cool stunts, some funny characters and some funny dialogue. It's not a well-made film, but it's a damn fun film, that's for sure. I liked it quite a lot.

On 12/20/2017 at 8:19 PM, Komorebi said:

Finally watched Titanic. Not as boring and long as I expected it to be. No wonder it won so many awards.

Good, cuz if you dissed my boi Leo Di, we'd have some problems. haha.

I never imagined there were still people out there who had not seen the film, wow.

So happy you enjoyed it!

I just watched Dragon Ball Z : Fight of the Gods & Resurrection "F", and man did the DBZ database get 2x as complicated for me lol.

I spent hours researching the new forms, and universes, and characters! Too damn much man.

Here I thought my pojo magazine from the 90's was enough to keep me informed on everything DBZ lol.