Neon

Last movie you saw.

8 hours ago, Desqui said:

I don't remember liking The Woman in Black. I'll have to rewatch it.

Maybe the predictability is what makes it likable though? Akin to knowing the plot of a play but still watching the performance. There's just the right amount of dread to keep you seated. But I can't recall the endings of what I've watched with him so this is just one excuse I can think of lol. 

In Guns Akimbo though, that bit when they rewinded, I didn't like that--however, I don't know any other way to have done it either. 

If you're into gothic horror movies then The Woman in Black is a proper good choice, although the original from 1989 is a lot better. It's just more atmospheric with a lot more focus on creating genuinely creepy and chilling atmosphere, whereas the remake feels way more modern with scares being utilized more than the creation of atmosphere. I really like the remake, but the original is just superior and one of the best TV movies ever, made on a very small budget and all.

I think one of the things I really liked about Guns Akimbo is the exploitation feeling of it, and how it feels like a video game movie. I think it carries much of the same feeling as Death Race 2000, The Running Man, Shoot 'Em Up etc. So video game like, so over the top and so beautifully violent. Excellent!

On 7/25/2020 at 6:04 PM, Bear said:

Isn't everything Radcliffe plays in incredibly predictable? Haven't seen anything he's done where you don't know the entire story and plot within the first 30 minutes tbh.

Horns wasn't predictable.

So uhhhhh I watched an '80s Taiwanese martial arts flick called Drunken Dragon (apparently a.k.a. Exciting Dragon, lol) and it sure was something. :D Probably one of the fastest-pace, craziest and goofiest things I've seen... Especially the first half is just punch after punch of non-stop ridiculousness. Not sure what the writers were smoking when they conjured all this up, but I approve!

Already eyeing another movie by the same director, Child of Peach, lmao.

Shinobi no kuni aka Mumon: The Land of Stealth - A ninja movie based on a novel that later became a mange (as far as I know), which genuinely felt like a live-action anime adaptation. Of all the movies I've seen, both anime, live-action adaptations and other movies, this is probably the one that has felt the most anime. There's something about the action scenes that just feels like they were taken straight out of some of Naruto episodes. Super fun stuff. The entire movie was just really fun tbh. Lighthearted for most part, over the top and really silly, but it still has a lot of serious themes and topics throughout, as well as some character development. Impressed!

Have you guys seen Jungle?

Tons of dread with 100% predictability.

What made me keep watching Guns Akimbo was the crazy fact that guns were drilled into his hands. That kind of odd detail is ... actually I'm sure there's another movie like that that I'm forgetting...but then they decided to take time to show the struggle of daily life with his new appendages, I appreciate that. After that Then it turns into the movie you knew it was going to be within the first 10-15 min.

Replicas (2018). Does Keanu Reeves have any movies where his acting is good? So many questionable moments and one of the weirdest looking CG robots I've seen since I, Robot. 

11 hours ago, platy said:

Replicas (2018). Does Keanu Reeves have any movies where his acting is good? So many questionable moments and one of the weirdest looking CG robots I've seen since I, Robot. 

Yes, he does. He's absolutely brilliant in John Wick, John Wick: Chapter 2 and John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum, and he's also superb in movies like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Point Break and The Matrix. And more of course. Thing with someone like Keanu Reeves is that he doesn't have a big range, so as soon as he steppes outside of that range he usually falls through. But he's not a bad actor at all, and given a proper script he can most definitely act well. 

It's the same as with someone like Scott Adkins (and Michael Jai White, Jason Statham, etc) . He most likely won't do well in a romantic comedy or a regular drama movie, but anyone who's watched him as Boyka in Undisputed II: Last Man Standing, Undisputed III: Redemption or Boyka: Undisputed, or in Avengement, Ip Man 4: The Finale, Triple Threat or Accident Man knows he can absolutely act. But again, he doesn't have a wide range to act on, so he needs specific roles with fitting scripts etc.

And the list goes on.

Actually, I'd completely forgot about matrix for some reason. I can't flaw his performance there. I've yet to see John Wick and I've been wanting to watch Constantine again. All the movies I've watched with Keanu in the past 3 years have been questionable/borderline memeable performances, hence the memory wipe. 

14 hours ago, Keiyuh said:

YO BEAR 

I need your top ten movies I have nothing to watch but pigeons faqing on my balcony 

You do? I am sure there's plenty people here with a more interesting top 10 than myself. I'm a bit of a weird, you see.

On 8/17/2020 at 12:53 AM, platy said:

Actually, I'd completely forgot about matrix for some reason. I can't flaw his performance there. I've yet to see John Wick and I've been wanting to watch Constantine again. All the movies I've watched with Keanu in the past 3 years have been questionable/borderline memeable performances, hence the memory wipe. 

You've missed out on his three best movies then. Three absolute masterpieces, and an absolute must if you're into action, neo-noir or thrillers. It's completely mind blowing that John Wick 1-3 are Chad Stahelski's three first movies as director. Not many have managed to start off with three movies this strong back to back. But they're incredible, and Chad Stahelski, alongside Gareth Evans (The Raid), are easily the two best non-asian martial arts/action directors out there. They make action movies just like the top asian directors of the 80's, 90's and 00's. Top notch!

Watched the classic 70's bodybuilder movie Pumping Iron last night, and started today by watching Generation Iron. Both follows a group of people as they get ready for the yearly(?) Mr. Olympia.

Pumping Iron is classic and for a good reason. It's just fantastic, with brilliant people involved, such as Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno, as well as  Franco Columbu, Mike Katz, Ken Waller, Ed Corney, Serge Nubret, and other famous bodybuilders of the era. What this does well and which really makes it a lot more interesting and entertaining than Generation Iron, is the friendship shown by the rivals, the great atmosphere they got between them and so on. Arnold Schwarzenegger comes off as really cocky, but in a good, friendly way. It comes off more as friendly banter than anything else. It just seemed like everyone involved were friends and had fun, and even rooted for eachother to do the best of their ability. Amazing documentary.

Generation Iron is set in 2012-2013, and the entire bodybuilding culture has changed a lot. The bodies are way, way, way more extreme, the friendly atmosphere you see on the gyms and backstage in Pumping Iron seems to be completely gone, and the contenders seems so more fiendish, arrogant and so on. There's obviously those who comes off as really genuine and nice, but several of them comes off as douchebags. But as a documentary it's really good, although I'd love for it to dig even deeper into scenes behind it all. More of the drug culture and more about their diets and so on. But it's a great documentary as well.

I haven't finished it because I watched it when I was super tired and fell asleep halfway through, but I watched A Message from King on Netflix and I like it so far. I'll have to find time to actually watch it though.

I ain't joking when I am saying this is the funniest comedy since Superbad, but alongside being fucking hilarious throughout it's also thrilling as it's got a thriller/horror element to it. Just a superb video overall. A must see! @Jigsaw9

@Bear LOL, looks great, thanks for the recommendation! Definitely gonna check.

And while I'm here I gotta mention I saw I'm Thinking of Ending Things yesterday and wow.... I did not like it. Too long, too pretentious and even though it managed to slowly ramp up the unsettling/uncomfortable factor for a while, it all just got incredibly tiresome and boring by the last 45 mins or so. Shame it all went to shit, because somewhere in the middle there was a good chunk that I absolutely loved (and the whole movie was nicely shot/composed). Also, afterwards I read the Wiki synopsis for the novel it was based on and WTF, that sounded so much better in terms of ending/conclusion, it's mind-boggling why they didn't go with that. Overall, I was very disappointed.

Right now I'm watching Dr. Phibes Rises Again which is a heck of a lot more entertaining (I know, completely different ballpark), lol.

Edited by Jigsaw9

The director and main cast of Get Duked! directed and appeared in the newest Run the Jewels with 2 Chainz btw. HE's done some music videos before, and he did include Run the Jewels on the soundtrack of Get Duked!. That's actually how I got across the movie. I was watching the video and saw who the directed and cast was. That's so cool!

Dr. Phibes Rises Again is fantastic. Have you seen the excellent The Abominable Dr. Phibes as well? It's awesome. Robert Fuest is a fantastic and sadly underrated director, and Vincent Price is, obviously, one of the greats names in all of cinema. Robert Quarry is also one of the greats. Amazing actors!

45 minutes ago, Bear said:

Dr. Phibes Rises Again is fantastic. Have you seen the excellent The Abominable Dr. Phibes as well? It's awesome. Robert Fuest is a fantastic and sadly underrated director, and Vincent Price is, obviously, one of the greats names in all of cinema. Robert Quarry is also one of the greats. Amazing actors!

Yep, saw it maybe a year or so ago, so I thought it was long overdue to watch the sequel. It was pretty fun! I liked the first one more but this was completely fine too. Gotta love all those wacky death scenes and elaborate traps, haha (and the ending with that music was really great too). Too bad they didn't make more sequels.

I agree about the first one being better, but I still love both. But with Vincent Price in his prime I could've done with 10 more sequels tbh. He's just too damn good.

went to see Tenet for a second time and i enjoyed it a bit less than the first one. i totally dig that concept and wanted to rewatch some scenes, while having all the context. anyway, i don't regret seeing it for the second time and i already know this would be my favorite 2020 movie (tho it is not that hard to achieve, since many premiere dates are being moved to the next year)

Just watched this and I cannot recommend this enough. This might be the most important documentary that's been made over the past 30 years. Incredibly important and incredibly interesting. An absolute must tbh.

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan - I did not like the original Borat movie when it was released 15 years ago, but considering the current political climate in the USA I just had to watch this and it's a homerun for sure. Holy shit, this was incredibly funny, and, even more relevant. All around hilarious, and at times just pure genius. Sacha Baron Cohen is, as always, very good and Maria Bakalova is even better. That performance is INSANE. Can't believe she kept her face straight through some of these scenes. Incredible!

On 11/3/2020 at 4:48 PM, Bear said:

Sacha Baron Cohen is, as always, very good and Maria Bakalova is even better.

Agreed! She was so great. Very solid movie, I didn't expect it to be this good but they delivered.

I've been in an X-Men mood lately, so my last watch was Apocalypse. It was a bit too long for my taste but it was okay, I was entertained. Next up's probably Dark Phoenix, of which I've heard nothing but shit but I feel like I gotta see where this whole story ends up at.

Edited by Jigsaw9

fPRGS7EyiS0aeDJEfg2jxDgdOeq.jpg

Greetings from Tromaville is a 2017 documentary telling the big story about Lloyd Kaufman and his  Troma Entertainment, from his early beginnings as a director to his later years, Tromas impact on cinema and all that. Really well-made, fun and informational. Lloyd Kaufman is one hell of a character for sure, and he just says whatever pops up in his head. A must for fans of Troma and cult cinema. Superb!

Dollman - Albert Pyun (The Sword and the Sorcerer, Cyborg, Captain America 1990, Kickboxer 2) directed Dollman back in 1991, and despite one of the least interesting and flattering titles of all time, the movie is actually totally badass. Tim Thomerson (Trancers, Near Dark, Cherry 2000) stars as a cop from another planet, a planet with small people. So he's only 33cm tall. But the movie itself is just a totally badass action flick with loads of violence, some gore and shit. Another amazing Full Moon Features film. Glorious!