Neon

Last movie you saw.

On 7/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, YuyoDrift said:

So I went to watch QT's new film Once Upon a Time In Hollywood this weekend, blind, and I was so confused as to what this film was about until the very end lol.

It was probably not the best choice, but I did it, and for me it made the film a much better experience.

Since watching the film, I appreciate my head not being on various surfaces a lot more :)

On 8/13/2019 at 7:30 PM, Bear said:

Inside The Secret World of Incels is up on youtube and pretty interesting. It basically follows three very, very different human beings who view and treat females very, very different. One is an obvious scumbag, but the other two seem like decent and reasonable human beings with a very good understanding of how the world works. Awkward guys, but awkward guys gets to fuck, eat pussy and live happily with a girl as well. So good on them. And they'll probably do good for themselves. Maybe with some help, but still.

The Catfish guy however was a piece of shit. Absolutely disgusting and pointless human being.

I wish the documentary was longer and way, way, way more in depth tho. The subject matter is very interesting.

I had no idea what an incel was until seeing your post and out of intrigue I watched the documentary. I was mortified to say the least.

I agree with all of your points. That catfish douche really makes my skin crawl. Hearing him laugh behind that face mask gave me serious Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibes. 

I hope things work out well for the other guys. They both seem lovely. 

6 minutes ago, suji said:

The Godfather .....why have i been sleeping on this, omfg

((here's to watching the rest, I got the trilogy set on a whim))

Watched it with my media arts class last year. Phenomenal film

I need to get this shit out. I always thought this was some of the best CGI ever, because it's so fucking over the top but realistic looking. It's so over the top it just can't be real. But fuck if it isn't actually real. It's not CGI. The shit is fucking real. They used two real vaults, two fake vaults that were just a pick up car with a vault and something else. Insane!

No fucking wonder it looks amazing and like the best CGI ever. Creativity!

The Longest Yard - Rewatched this 1974 classic starring Burt Reynolds, Eddie Albert, Ed Lauter and many more. Fantastic film in so many ways. Hilarious and exciting sports comedy. There's a shitload of similar movies but this reign supreme for most part. Awesome, and Burt Reynolds is ridiculously cool.

Hobbs & Shaw - Hobbs and muthafuckin Shaw. Stupid, silly, childish as fuck, over the top, dumb, over the top and even more over the top. And that's just how I like my Fast and the Furious movies. Silly, stupid motherfucking action movies. And this is that! Probably top 3 F&F movies so far. It's a shame it's done badly on the box office, because I would love a sequel. But hey, at least we're getting F&F8. But this was awesome as hell! Laughed our asses off.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:55 PM, Bear said:

Watching movies and I am getting so tired of all this wacky CGI use now. It's incredible how Jurassic Park (1993) still looks better than both Jurassic World (2015) and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018),  despite the fact that the CGI has come a long, long, long way since then. It's all about how they used it, how they mixed it with practical effects and how and when they chose to use it. Probably the best example ever is the T-Rex shot in Jurassic Park. They didn't just throw it out there, they really thought about it. Having it dark and rainy made the whole task so much easier to make it look good, and it still looks incredible. Is there even a decent shot in Jurassic World or Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom where the dinosaurs actually look threatening, scary and real? Heeeell naw!

And this also sums up why movies like Avengers: Endgame and Alita: Battle Angel already look dated, despite being out for only a few months. They use of CGI are fucking disgusting.

If you want another disgusting example: Take a look at how Black Panther looks when fighting in his suit in Captain America: Civil War, as opposed to how he looks when fighting in his suit in Black Panther. How you ever wondered why he looked so awesome when fighting in Civil War, and why he looks so fucking awful when fighting in his own Black Panther movie? Three letters: CGI!

In Captain America: Civil War you have a guy in a black suit, a stuntman, actually doing stunts. So the physics is spot on. It's real. They just glossed up his suit and shit, but they didn't make him CGI. So they didn't fuck up any of the physics.

In Black Panther it's just CGI, and because the CGI is still far from being perfected they still haven't managed to master physics and so on. They're just cartoons fighting, and they're light and can do whatever the fuck they want. It doesn't look OK at all. Compare the non-suited Black Panther vs Killmonger with the later fight where both are in a suit. Just look at the difference.

So annoying, and what's more are all the people in the world who actually consider this to be good looking and a fine thing to do. Open your eyes, use them and just think for a second. Christ almighty.

Rant over!

I have to take this back, because the shit in Black Panther was actually human beings fighting. I could not tell at all, but neither could VFX artists who specialize in this shit. They also thought it was only CGI. But it's actually humans fighting, and originally it looked really fucking good. But they decided to drench it in CGI to the point where the physics changed and it went from looking good, to the point where it looks pathetic.

Reminds me of The Thing (2011) where the special effects originally looked amazing, mindblowing and disgusting, but they drenched it in CGI and made it looks pathetic.

Anyway, point still stand tho. CGI, when used right, is a 10/10 type of tool to make something look good. CGI, when overused, like seen in 9/10 blockbusters, are useless as it takes everything away from the scene.

The Losers - This came right before A-Team back in 2010 and is a very similar movie in so many ways. It's based on the graphic novel by the same, which I have not read, but I think I will have to check it out. Because this was fun. Dumb and silly, but very, very fun action movie with comedic overtones. Yup!

On 9/6/2019 at 2:05 PM, Bear said:

Hobbs & Shaw - Hobbs and muthafuckin Shaw. Stupid, silly, childish as fuck, over the top, dumb, over the top and even more over the top. And that's just how I like my Fast and the Furious movies. Silly, stupid motherfucking action movies. And this is that! Probably top 3 F&F movies so far. It's a shame it's done badly on the box office, because I would love a sequel. But hey, at least we're getting F&F8. But this was awesome as hell! Laughed our asses off.

During the end credits, they played a song called "No One Defeats Us" by DREAMS. My girlfriend and I are big fans of Luke Steele's main project (Empire of the Sun, so it was a cool surprise to hear his voice in a F&F film! Of course, she started sobbing uncontrollably like a fangirl!😅

The last movie I saw was It Chapter 2. I enjoyed it more than the first. I thought the 'creature' designs were really cool and was an all around well put together film. I was reluctant to see it, as horror sequels aren't known for being good, but Jessica Chastain is always a hit in my book.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Over this time of the year I tend to like odd things, and “century-old Expressionist movie” qualifies as odd in my book.

Project Gutenberg - Hong Kong movie starring an excellent Yun-Fat Chow and a really impressive Aaron Kwok. It tells a familiar story and despite loads and loads of twists and turns I found it to be fairly predictable, tho I seem to be the only one who thinks so. It's well-written and well-directed, but I thought it was a tad too long for its own good, and it tried to be smarter than it had to. But it wasn't bad.

Just watched "Hail Satan?" and it's such a well done documentary and really humanizes the group. It's really interesting and very much harkens back to LaVeyan Satanism. It's on Hulu if anyone is interested, a tad too much stereotypical in their services, but yeah.

Fanarchy - "Fanarchy uncovers a subculture of die-hard fans who risk life, limb and financial bankruptcy in their quest to pay homage to the films and stories they love."

Good documentary, but the part about comicon and such was pretty boring. Simply because it's done to death. But most else was pretty entertaining, especially the parts about fanmade movies.

Which made me go on and watch a bunch of fan made movies:

Judge Minty - 25 minutes fanmade movie about Judge Minty, and elderly judge in Mega-City One that has to retire and is sent out in the wasteland to find a good death. It's very low-budget and the special effects suffer from that, but it's cool other than that. Enjoyed it a lot.

Then I decided to watch several of the shorts in Adi Shankar's Bootleg Universe. For those unaware, Adi Shankar is that weirdo who produced the masterpiece that is Dredd, as well as being the creator of Castlevania, among other things. The Bootleg Universe started with The Punisher: Dirty Laundry, which I HIGHLY recommend, back in 2012. And it's still going strong.

Venom: Truth in Journalism - Black and white movie about a documentary team that goes to america to document the life of Eddie Brock, and his sometimes questionable methods as a journalist. It's a tribute to Man Bites Dog, but it's a brilliant short movie. Truly excellent! 17 minutes long. This is what the recent Venom movie should've been like.

Judge Dredd: Superfiend - An animated re-interpretation of Judge Dredd's arch-nemesis Judge Death. I thought it was really fun, but I wasn't too fan of the visual style and it's more cartoonish side. But it was fun and violent. Can't complain about that.

Power/Rangers - A dark and violent reimagining of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in an alternative timeline. It's really cool, and the world deserves a full movie out of this. Really damn cool!

Spider-Man: Far from Home - A really good and solid start on the new chapter in the MCU. Fun, charming and silly, albeit maybe a bit too childish at times? But all in all it was pretty damn good. Positively surprised.

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood - Probably one of my favourite Tarantino movies after one watch. Superbly directed as usual, with amazing dialogue, as usual, a super interesting story as usual and superbly acted throughout. Yeah, soundtrack was superb too. It's, in many ways, a different Tarantino, but it's still Tarantino from A to Z and through and through. A most excellent film!

Tarantino is the man. My dream right now is to make a series of short films or a mini-series with the films featured in this movie. Those Rick Dalton movies looked awesome as fuck, especially The 14 Fists of McCluskey. That would be beyond awesome!

Rambo: Last Blood - The legend that is Sylvester Stallone decided it was about time to put an end to the franchise, and what a motherfucking end it was. This might as well be the best Rambo to date, it certainly ain't any worse than Rambo: First Blood or Rambo. Ultraviolent revenge flick that's more similar to Taken than any of the previous Rambo movies. And that was a really wise choice.  I fucking loved it!

Cop Car - Low-budget crime thriller starring an excellent Kevin Bacon and two amazing teenagers. It's very simple and "sparse", but it's really clever, suspenseful and fun. Kevin Bacon is one of the most overlooked and underrated actors in Hollywood. He's always been a favourite of mine, and he still remains one. Such a fantastic actor! This was amazing. Highly recommended.

Stuber - A new buddy cop action comedy starring Dave Bautista, Kumail Nanjiani and a sadly underused Iko Uwais who should've had way more screentime. But Dave Bautista just keeps getting better with each movie, and he's not only badass as fuck. He's got fantastic comedic timing. This isn't original or anything, but if you like buddy cop comedies then this is for you. Hilarious, charming, exciting, silly and over the top.

Dave Bautista could become the new Dwayne Johnson for sure. He's just got charisma and coolness about him.

Invader ZIM: Enter the Florpus - I haven't watched the series in ages, but as soon as this popped up on Netflix me and a mate watched it. Thought it was amazing. Fantastic animation, brilliant voice acting, really stylish, fun and clever, and it does something a bit different. It feels like an Invader Zim film, but without copying previous episodes. Liked it hella lot.

Sword Master  - I didn't know what to expect from this, but liked the poster and is a sucker for martial arts movies so I had to check it out. Didn't take me long too realize that it's actually a remake of the classic 1977 Yuen Chor movie Death Duel, tho. Not nearly as good, but still fun. Had problems with some of the CGI and overall visual style, tho. Looked a bit corny and awfully fake at times. But nothing too bad overall.

Space Ninjas - Random, stupid, silly, over the top, bad, but at the same time good action comedy that suffers from bad acting, an awfully modern look and a lack of visual style. I think that if this was made in the 80's I would've loved it, but it lacked just that little extra. But it was fun for its randomness and absurdity.

Mechanic: Resurrection - The sequel to the remake The Mechanic with Jason Statham. The first one suffered from being an inferior sequel. I would probably have liked it a lot more of it wasn't for the fact that the original was an classic. But it was cool. This, too, is pretty cool if you're an action freak who also happens to like Jason Statham. Some really cool scenes, a very cool Jason Statham, a superb over the top Tommy Lee Jones and some cool action. Not a masterpiece, but entertaining crap basically.

In the Shadow of the Moon - A new Netflix feature that's raised some eyebrows due to its content and stuff. The concept is really fucking cool, but the execution does not live up to its concept. I felt like they simplified it way, way, way too much. And it doesn't really ask any of the right questions either. It's too black and white, despite the fact that everything it works towards is pretty damn grey is you ask me. But hey, I was entertained. So it was fun.

Wild Card - Remake of the cult Burt Reynolds move Heat starring Jason Statham. It's not really any worse than the original, maybe even better, but it lacks the charm. But as an avid action fan and a Jason Statham fanboy I really liked it. I would pick the original if I had to choose tho.

Burn - Slightly weird and offbeat thriller set to a gas station. It's about a insecure, lonely and trouble gas station worker who does everything in her power to please everyone, but who isn't seen by anyone. One day shit hits the fan and, as you'd expect, she takes som weird choices. It's fun, it's interesting, it felt different. But the plot is a bit too thin for 90 minutes. Could've done with 60 tbh. But it was alright.

Champion of Death - This might be better known as Karate Bullfighter, but Champion of Death of a much cooler title so I'll go with that. Mid-70's Sonny Chiba flick directed by Kazuhiko Yamaguchi. I'm a pretty big fan of Kazuhiko Yamaguchi, but I prefer him as a horror and exploitation director. The Delinquent Girl Boss series, Wolf Guy, Sister Street Fighter and so on. But Champion of Death was a pretty cool film based on a manga(?) based on the real life of Korean fighter Choi Bae-dal who moved to Japan, changed his name to Masutatsu Oyama and founded Kyokushin Karate. Sonny Chiba is, as always, exceptional, and it's well-directed and choreographed and all that. So very enjoyable, but not the best Kazuhiko Yamaguchi or Sonny Chiba movie.

Karate Bear Fighter - The sequel is more or less on the same level as the first one. Very good, but not exceptional like what you'd expect from a Kazuhiko Yamaguchi and Sonny Chiba movie. I'd rate both 7/10. Very good, but not classic.

The Sword Stained with Royal Blood - Early 1980's Cheh Chang epic featuring the VENOM MOB. Now, Cheh Chang are among my favourite directors ever and the Venom Mob are among the greatest group of actors and martial artists ever. This is more or less a nice, epic and semi-complex wuxia. Far from the best Cheh Chang or Venom Mob movie, but like most Cheh Change (or all that I've seen actually) martial arts movies or Venom Mob it's really good.

The Magnificent Ruffians - Another Cheh Chang and Venom Mob movie. This is a less epic and a less complex, as well as more comedic movie than The Sword Stained with Royal Blood, and in that sense a more "classic" Venom Mob movies. Again, not the best from either Cheh Chang or the Venom Mob, but really good anyway. It's pretty bleak tbh, despite the more comedic elements, but it's well-told and the ending was superb. Really cool!

The Rebel Intruders - You guessed right! Another Cheh Chang and Vemon mob movie. It's kinda similar to the tone of The Magnificent Ruffians, but the fighting is a bit more creative and on the "fun" side. A bit similar to that of the Three Dragons (Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao) with the fun fighting, instead of just the hard and brutal. Very cool film! Superb ending!

Dreadnaught - Another Cheh Chang and Venom Mob movie you ask? Well, in fact no. This is something a bit different. This is an early Yuen Woo-ping movie, but despite being released only 3 years after his classic debut Snake in the Eagle's Shadow it's actually his 6th movie following classics like the already mentioned Snake in the Eagle's Shadow, Drunken Master, Dance of the Drunk Mantis and Magnificent Butcher . The movie stars personal favourites like Yuen Biao, Bryan Leung and Kwan Tak-hing. It's a martial arts comedy, just like you'd expect from Yuen Woo-ping in the early 80's, but he also finds a way to include short segments of horror which really makes the movie stand out. Recommended for the dragon/lion dance early in the movie. Among the best and most creative dragon/lion dances I've seen on movie, and I have seen quite a few by now. Superb film! Creative, funny and really impressive fights too. Yuen Biao has such a great comedic timing.

Btw, some fun facts:

Kwan Tak-hing, who portrays Chinese folk-her Wong Fei-hung actually portrayed Wong Fei-hung is no less than 77(!!!) movies. Amazing actor, amazing martial artists and an amazing fun fact. Imagine portraying the same guy in so many movies. Amazing!

Bryan Leung, also knows as "Beardy" due to his trademark beard, is one of my all-time favourite martial arts actors. He's that good. But guess what? He had no martial arts training. But he was so sure in himself that he just relied on his talent of mimicry to imitate whatever the action choreographers told him to, which is insane because heshad some really fucking good fights over the years. That's so cool!

watched Joker today...

I thought the movie was kind of too-much and cliché-like depicting Joker‘s state of mind...like, no, the real ‚fucked up people‘ are wayy more subtle.

that‘s why I rarely connected to him, tho I did feel the ‚you guys decide whats funny/good...‘ etc.

I was soo annoyed by the music, like, have more variety! Every two minutes you hear that screechy cello or what it was...how boring

Mr Phoenix, however, won my heart. 

Still haven't seen Joker and not sure if I ever will. The movie looks like it's fucking amazing, and Joaquin Phoenix seems to be beyond brilliant in it (like he always is!). But I still have no desire to watch. No interest whatsoever, despite the fact that it looks amazing and I've been looking forward to it for such a long time. Weird shit.

San Andreas - Silly and very standard disaster movie, but it's fun for what it is. Dumb, mindless fun.

Central Intelligence - This buddy cop comedy starring  Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart really caught me off guard. It doesn't offer up anything new, but I really fucking like it. Thought it was hilarious throughout, and despite clocking in at close to two hours it never got boring. Kevin Hart is Kevin Hart, running around and yelling like hell all the time, but he's got great comedic timing and I like him a lot. However I do understand why a lot of people don't. I really unerstand why people find him annoying as hell. Dwayne Johnson however was out of this world in this, and much dof it comes down to his lack of comedic timing. It just made it hilarious. Fantastic performance. Awesome movie!

Ride Along - Another buddy cop comedy with Kevin Hart, and this time he's joined by Ice Cube. Most people seem to hate this, but despite its flaws I liked it. These type of buddy cop comedies just touches the right spot of my heart. Not nearly as good as Central Intelligence, but funny nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing Ride Along 2 later today.

Edited by Bear

Addams Family (1991 version)

haven't seen the new one yet, but it's an absolute shame they didn't remake it as a live action considering that they cast Oscar Issac as Gomez

Black Hole Apocalypse - This is not actually a movie, but an almost two hour long episode of the long-running science series Nova (46 seasons, 877 episodes) about black holes. Thought this was an amazing two hours tbh. Space itself is fascinating as hell, but the most fascinating thing about the entire fucking space as we know it is black holes. Jesus christ, that's some incredibly powerful shit. I really hope they do some major fucking discoveries on black holes during my time here on earth.

Dolemite Is My Name - Netflix' latest is a biographical move on the blaxploitation hero, and godfather of rap, Rudy Ray Moore. Rudy Ray Moore is best known as his hilarious alter ego Dolemite. Dolemite Is My Name is a charming and hilarious comedy with loads and loads of heart and warmth. One of 2019's best movie for sure, and both Eddie Murphy and Wesley Snipes shows that they still have a lot to offer. Both are BRILLIANT! Hopefully this will bring some sorely needed life to their careers. Amazing movie!