Neon

Last movie you saw.

I love the Ghibli movies; always gives my hearts the feels. I think one of my first Ghibli movies was Princess Mononoke, which I still quite like. I also highly recommend Kiki's Delivery Service. It was a heartwarming, cute movie (with some bittersweet elements). 

2 minutes ago, monkeybanana4 said:

I love the Ghibli movies; always gives my hearts the feels. I think one of my first Ghibli movies was Princess Mononoke, which I still quite like. I also highly recommend Kiki's Delivery Service. It was a heartwarming, cute movie (with some bittersweet elements). 

My favourite Ghibli movies will always be Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service and Ponyo. My uncle introduced me to his films when I was little and I fell in love with them

Every single Ghibli movie is worth seeing, including the short movies, pre-Ghibli movies all the way back to the 60's, the series, the documentaries about Ghibli (or some of the directors), the video games, and hell, even commercials.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle are by far my favourites. Followed by Princess Mononoke.

1 minute ago, Bear said:

Every single Ghibli movie is worth seeing, including the short movies, pre-Ghibli movies all the way back to the 60's, the series, the documentaries about Ghibli (or some of the directors), the video games, and hell, even commercials.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle are by far my favourites. Followed by Princess Mononoke.

There are some that are exclusive to their museum that are said to be worth the trip.

Finally watched the latest Hellboy movie with a friend. We were prepared it was gonna suck based on what we've heard, but it was actually not too bad. The story was a bit jumbled and they tried to cram way too much in there imo, but the visuals were really neat and there were some satisfyingly gory scenes too. It was okay.

Just finished to watch The Mummy(1932), the prototype of the famous film series with the same title.

framed-the-mummy-fep176-medium-original-

I've been a fan for The Mummy series for such a long time, so after the research about the informations in the past,
I found out the existence for the film in 1932 I watched this time, I've been keeping searching for it,
and finally takin' so many years, I found it yesterday. So I decided to finish it today!

And honestly speakin', I was amazed by how impressive the production quality is.
You know, it's released in 30' , so the film is still in the black-and-white form.
But the details for storyline, the timeline , and the camera movements, also the characters' acting skill.
I think all of them which can let the film won't lose to the modern films.

Hmm I think the only bad point is, the ending is too "rush", everything happened so suddenly,
They create something, in good way to say is "miracle", but bad way to say is "forced end". (Laugh)
But... I mean overall it's still totally decent! I really really love it! I am so happy that I could find it and watch it.

On 7/22/2019 at 11:10 AM, Kyo_Toriko said:

Just finished to watch The Mummy(1932), the prototype of the famous film series with the same title.

This movie holds up extremely well. As good today as when I watched it for the first time in the 90's. Absolutely brilliant, and Boris Karloff is the muthafuckin' GOAT! Alongside some other horror movie icons.

Long Shot - A new romantic comedy starring Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron. It's actually pretty fun and good, albeit a bit too long clocking in at 2 hours. But it's actually clever and really hits the right spot both as a romantic comedy and satire. It's just a lot deeper than your regular rom coms, which is obviously a good thing. Recommended for sure.

Flight - Drama-thriller with a brilliant Denzel Washington as a pilot who has to land a plane in a troubled situation. It twists and turns and is actually really good. Denzel Washington's fantastic!

Super Mario Bros. - A hated movies for so many reasons, but me and my mate rewatched this a while ago and fucking loved it. I mean, it's not fucking Super Mario Bros at all, but it's hilarious anyway. I would pay big money to find out how much acid and shrooms where taken during the writing and development of this movie because it's fucking insane. Makes no sense whatsoever and is just fucking messy all around, but so much fun. Watch it with some beers and pizza.

13 hours ago, Bear said:

This movie holds up extremely well. As good today as when I watched it for the first time in the 90's. Absolutely brilliant, and Boris Karloff is the muthafuckin' GOAT! Alongside some other horror movie icons.

Yes, the film really kicked ass! I am glad that not only me feeling like that! >o<b
And Boris is really such a gold for the horror films back in the old days.
I knew him when I was in a college movie class and watched the most famous "Frankenstein"!

On 7/24/2019 at 9:55 AM, Kyo_Toriko said:

Yes, the film really kicked ass! I am glad that not only me feeling like that! >o<b
And Boris is really such a gold for the horror films back in the old days.
I knew him when I was in a college movie class and watched the most famous "Frankenstein"!

Almost everything with Boris Karloff is worth seeing because of him, even the movies that suck. He's that good. But all of his classic or cult movies are must see-movies for sure. Don't miss any!

Alita Battle Angel - How this has 7,5 on IMDB is just beyond me. Is it awful? No, it really isn't. But is it good? No, not really. Not as an adaption nor as a sci-fi movie. It feels incredibly rushed and is way, way, way too short. Should've been two movies at least, probably three. But there's a lot of shit that doesn't make sense. I've seen the anime and I get why Alita looks so weird. And I truly don't mind. I actually like it. But the CGI skin looks so bad. She looks like she was cut from a whole other movie and just paste in. She doesn't look like a part of the movie. She looks like she was created in 2006 and just added to this, a 2019 movie where everything else looks way, way, way, way, way more realistic. And yes, I do include the robots. Because every other robot and shit looks like they belong in the movie. Alita does not. So weird.

Another thing is the CGI fights, the Motorball parts. The physics are so off and so bad. The fuck is this? Can't belive this is a blockbuster. Would've been so much better if they had used actual people on rollerblades just skating around and doing tricks. But nah, has to make ot complicated and "super futuristic" despite the fact that it looks bad.

Also, it's not aged well at all. The CGI is dated as fuck.

Whatever.

Blind Fury - The legend that is Rutger Hauer died at the age of 75(?) the other day and I had to watch something of his to remember him. Such a good actor, such a unique actor. It's an action-comedy remake of the classic Japanese movie Zatoichi Challenged, the 17th movie in the series of Zatoichi (all are fantastic, including several of the remakes!). Rutger Hauer puts his own twist on the character, but he does keep some of the classic trait of Shintarô Katsu alive and he does it so well. Especially the wit and humor. It's not as good as the original Zatoichi movies, but still a must see- Really cool film.

Pokémon Detective Pikachu - Well, this was quite a surprise. Very fun and cool adventure movie based on Pokemon, and to my big surprise they get it right. Because this is actually very fun throughout. It's basic, but it's a pokemon movie so that's just fine. One thing that bothered me however were the look of the non-furred pokemons. Pokemons like Pikachu, Psyduck and others with fur looked absolutely gorgeous, but the ones without fur looks really out of place. They looked like they belonged somewhere between a CGI-animated movie and a live action movie. Not really fitting with either. Something was really off. But they don't have too big of a role so it didn't bother me too much.

Btw, look at the details on Pikachu and Psyduck's fur. Especially Pikachu. That is mindblowing. Some of the most detailed CGI I've ever seen. Incredible!

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective - Top 3 comedies ever and Jim Carrey's best. Simple as that. Everything about it is great, and I fucking love his portrayal of Ace Venture. Hilarious as fuck. Just the way he walks makes me burst out in laughter. Brilliant!

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls - A small step down from the first, but still amazing and Jim Carrey's third best movie. Dumb and Dumber and first Ace Ventura's better. But amazing nonetheless.

Point Blank - I'll watch anything with Frank Grillo, and this movie was no different. Frank Grillo's amazing, but the movie itself isn't as good as it could and should have been. It's a more action-oriented remake of the great, french thriller À bout portant. The reason my expectations were pretty high was because of Frank Grillo and the fact that it was directed by Joe Lynch. Joe Lynch debuted with Wrong Turn 2 (best in the series!!!), and has since directed a segment in the horror anthology Chillerama (best segment in the movie by a long shot!!!) and Mayhem, a film no one's heard about but everyone should check out. Really cool film. Point Blank was cool, but nothing more.

Uri: The Surgical Strike - Indian war movie based on real events where terrorists attacked an army base and killed something like 20 people. This show's the retaliation by the army. A so-called surgical strike. It was way too long for me at 135 minutes. And when the surgical strike begun I had lost interest already and struggled to keep focus. Sad, because the strike itself were really cool. Shame.

The Unauthorized Bash Brothers Experience - Fantastic, original and creative visual rap album by The Lonely Island were they spoof a couple of big baseball stars from the 80's or something. This was just hilarious, but at the same time it contained some banger tracks. Highly, highly, highly recommended if you're into The Lonely Island or similar comedy groups. Top notch!

Eliminators - If you were to find yourself in a bar having a conversation with some totally shitfaced guy trying to explain the concept of b-movies to you, it would somehow always accidentally end up being an exact description of this movie's plot

21 minutes ago, Tokage said:

Eliminators - If you were to find yourself in a bar having a conversation with some totally shitfaced guy trying to explain the concept of b-movies to you, it would somehow always accidentally end up being an exact description of this movie's plot

1986 one? If so, it's amazing. I highly recommend Manborg if you liked Eliminators. It's very much inspired by it and the Astron-6 team didn't try to hide that at all.

Ghost in the Shell - Yes, the 2017 live action movie. I ain't gonna lie, this wasn't all that bad. That means, this is a decent action sci-fi flick. It's not very clever, it doesn't require anything from the viewer at all. You can turn your brain off and enjoy something like this. But that also brings us to the main problem with the film. It takes a really fucking deep anime with complex characters and a lot of depth and turns it into the opposite of what it should be. Ghost in the Shell isn't a stupid popcorn anime, it's something rich, deep, complex and so on. The film should also have been something like that. Rich, deep and complex, but it isn't. And it's a shame. But I get why they take away all that and the HUGE questions asked in the anime, because this isn't made for the fans. The fans isn't the ones that's gonna bring them the money. It's the regular movie goes and "regular people" who doesn't want to think, but just want to be entertained. It's a shame that it is like that, but it's what big money does to cinema and art. Producers wants their money back and the only way to do that is to make something for "everyone".

I do enjoy the world they've created, tho. It looked cool and gritty. But this is NOT an actual Ghost in the Shell remake/adaption. It's not even close to being a Ghost in the Shell film. It's a movie that only takes its name as well as character names, and some elements. The rest is not Ghost in the Shell. Just like Dark City and The Matrix isn't a Megazone 23 adaption despite being influenced. Don't care if The Matrix guys denied it, they were so obviously influenced by this movie.

A way, way, way more entertaining and awesome movie than Alita Battle Angel, but also a way worse adaption as well.

Edited by Bear

Memories - Yes  1995 anime anthology with three very different movies. I loved this as a kid, but I didn't like it quite as much today.

Magnetic Rose - The first movie is an epic sci-fi that surely will make you think of both 2001: A Space Odyssey and Solaris, but it's got its own vibe for sure. It's dreamy, it's intense, it's epic. It's very unique and a must see for sci-fi fans. 9/10

Stink Bomb - Good, but a huge step down (or maybe even two) from Magnetic Rose. It's very well animated, but I just wish it wasn't as....farty. Anything else would've made this hella lot better. A bit too much on the comedic side for me.

Cannon Fodder - This is, in many ways, or even most ways, the best film of the anthology. But I just can't stand the visual style. It's a one take animatd movie where the camera never cuts, which in itself is really fucking impressive, but the style is very unusual for anime. It's lacking imo. But the story is good and the direction is superb, but the visual style keeps me from really getting into it. Sadly.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:22 AM, Bear said:

Almost everything with Boris Karloff is worth seeing because of him, even the movies that suck. He's that good. But all of his classic or cult movies are must see-movies for sure. Don't miss any!

Sure, but I think it will take me a lot of time to find them all! xD

Labyrinth. It was definitely different from the usual Jim Henson stuff I'd come to expect, the music with David Bowie was good, some parts were too kiddy, but overall it was good movie and Jennifer Connelly's acting was serviceable. I'm definitely inclined to believe that it's about growing up through sexual exploration.

So I went to watch QT's new film Once Upon a Time In Hollywood this weekend, blind, and I was so confused as to what this film was about until the very end lol.

It was probably not the best choice, but I did it, and for me it made the film a much better experience.

Mindwarp - Man, they REALLY fucking loved their ''dude virtual realities lmao'' shit in the '80s and '90s, didn't they? I'll be honest here, other than the fact it's got Bruce Campbell hamming it up from time to time this one's got little to offer as far as I'm concerned. The post-apocalypse tropes it touches upon were already kinda done to death even at that point in time, and the movie has a 'twist' that was not only so obvious i saw it coming within like the first 15 mins of the film or so, but was also completely nonsensical in retrospect. 

Unfortunately had to go see the new Lion King with some friends and I hadn't seen something as lifeless as that movie since me during my last great depression™ a few years ago.

Assassination Nation - Black comedy/action(?), but I turned it off before the action started. God damn, this was some proper shit. The acting was subpar, the direction was subpar, the characters were godfuckingawful. It might have gotten good towards the end, but I couldn't bother to stay and find out.

Cold Pursuit - Norwegian director Hans Petter Moland takes a huge step from Norwegian cinema and into Hollywood by remaking his own movie. I've not seen the original due to the title of it being Kraftidioten, so I thought it was something completely different. But this is apparently very true to the original movie. A black crime comedy starring Liam Neeson. He's on revenge, but not like his usual revenge. It's way different from Taken and so on. This was cool. Will watch the original some day.

2 Guns - Buddy cop action comedy by Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. Neither of them have the comedic timing of Eddie MurphyMel Gibson, so it enver reaches the height of movies like 48 Hrs. and Lethal Weapon. But it's good fun anyway.

Superfly - A remake by the classic 1972 blaxploitation movie Super Fly. I only decided to watch this due to Future producing the soundtrack, but the movie was subpar. Boring as hell, and the guy playing Youngblood Priest just wasn't very Superfly at all. Poor movie.

The Predator - Wow, this sure was a missed opportunity. This just isn't badadd enough nor funny enough. It's just somewhere inbetween, and that doesn't cut it for a movie like this. The setting was boring as fuck too.

Den of Thieves - Decent enough crime movie with Gerard Butler, Pablo Schreiber and O'Shea Jackson Jr. It's not bad at all, but I wish it would've put a lot more focus towards the thieves, but it was mostly about the cop. Sad but true. And how 50 Cent is getting roles in Hollywood is beyond me. Guy can't act for shit. 0/10 is what he is.

The Dark Tower - I've never read the book series, so I got nothing to compare it with. But I felt like this was a disappointing film with wasted potential. Loads of wasted potential. Because the blending of western, action, fantasy and sci-fi were just gorgeous, and the universe itself were magnificent. But for some reason they've just made a generic action movie out of it. So frustrating. This could, and should tbh, have been one of the best movies of the 2010's. What a shame. Idris Elba is awesome, but Matthew McConaughey is laughably bad.

I saw Stephen King was disappointed in this too, and wanted it to be made into a film or TV-series that's r-rated, dark and follow the book more closely. I would love that.

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie - This 1994 anime is loosely based on the Street Fighter II game, and it's a really fucking good one. The animation, character design and voice acting are all spot on, and it's actually got a pretty good story. Just awesome all around.

Street Fighter Alpha: The Animation - Not nearly as good as Street Fighter II, but still a great and entertaining movie. One of the problems is that the story isn't nearly as good. But great film tho.

Avengers: Endgame - Easily among the best MCU movies till now, and it made Infinity War a better movie. It actually kept thing serious, but with adding both a lot more emotion and humour than a lot of the earlier MCU movies. Really liked it. An end of an era for sure. Good to see Iron Man actually being quite likeable for a change.

15 minutes ago, Bear said:

Avengers: Endgame - Easily among the best MCU movies till now, and it made Infinity War a better movie. It actually kept thing serious, but with adding both a lot more emotion and humour than a lot of the earlier MCU movies. Really liked it. An end of an era for sure. Good to see Iron Man actually being quite likeable for a change.

I feel like I’m the only one who liked IW and Endgame equally lol

Inside The Secret World of Incels is up on youtube and pretty interesting. It basically follows three very, very different human beings who view and treat females very, very different. One is an obvious scumbag, but the other two seem like decent and reasonable human beings with a very good understanding of how the world works. Awkward guys, but awkward guys gets to fuck, eat pussy and live happily with a girl as well. So good on them. And they'll probably do good for themselves. Maybe with some help, but still.

The Catfish guy however was a piece of shit. Absolutely disgusting and pointless human being.

I wish the documentary was longer and way, way, way more in depth tho. The subject matter is very interesting.

Charisma - Third film I've seen by Kiyoshi Kurosawa so far, and like the previous two I enjoyed it. One element all three of them have had in common is a sort of weird 'depressed' atmosphere: there's this constant hazy, dreamlike layer of melancholia draped all over everything that gives the whole film a distinct otherworldly feeling. This one's mostly set in and around a huge forest, and there's some absolutely GORGEOUS scenery porn to be found here, so if you're a fan of that sort of thing definitely do yourself a favor and check it out just for that alone.  Most of the plot was pretty self-explanatory, revolving around a conflict between various parties about a strange tree that the protagonist inadvertently gets involved in after losing his job, abandoning his family and retreating into the wild. Ending was pretty ??? and out of the left field however and I'm still not entirely sure what it's actually supposed to signify. It's definitely more of a slow burner, so if you're not into that sort of thing I'm not sure whether you'll enjoy this or not, but everybody else should at least give it a try. Also, the soundtrack's rather impressively atmospheric, though it sounds like it was composed for a horror film instead.