Neon

Last movie you saw.

On 4/6/2019 at 4:45 PM, Marchen said:

I want to eat your pancreas

https://myanimelist.net/anime/36098/Kimi_no_Suizou_wo_Tabetai

It's an animation, it is sad. Tears guaranteed 10/10

Haha with a name like that I'd have expected it to be some low budget, silly, B-movie type film. Sounds interesting though!

As for me, the Tekken anime movie, or Kung Fury, if that counts as a movie? Considering it's only half an hour or so long.... lol.

Well movies can be anything really. Length has nothing to say. The longest film made is something like 860 hours long. On the other hand you have plenty movies that are less than a minute long. It's like music. The Rise And Fall Of Bossanova (which is GORGEOUS!!!) is well over 13 hours long, and the shortest song that I personally know (Napalm Death' You Suffer) is less than one and a half second long. 

So everything counts. I've reviewed PLENTY short movies ranging from a couple of minutes to 60 here and it's all good.

1 hour ago, Kabukichoatmidnight said:

Haha with a name like that I'd have expected it to be some low budget, silly, B-movie type film. Sounds interesting though!

As for me, the Tekken anime movie, or Kung Fury, if that counts as a movie? Considering it's only half an hour or so long.... lol.

Yeah the title is strange but the movie is amazing and the title is related to it hahahah

Furie - I consider myself someone with an above average knowledge on Asian cinema in general, but there's a few countries I do not know at all and I think this is the first Vietnamese movie I've ever seen. Furie is a martial arts/action flick much in the vein of Taken. It doesn't feel as fresh as Taken did, but it does provide way better and more intense action scenes and because of a stunning performance by lead actress Veronica Ngo you get a film that feels much more emotional as well. It's cool, it's stylish, it's brutal and it does make the best out of each scene, despite some of the fights being cut a bit too much. But highly recommended for fans of action.

Finally got to watch Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro the other night~ I couldn't believe this was one of the earlier films Hayao Miyazaki worked on, and with something like Lupin, it was an unlikely combo, but it turned out really good! I don't really feel like reviewing it but I really enjoyed it ♥ I wish there were more Lupin movies on Netflix...:/

In the past month I've seen Pokémon: The Power of Us, Cold Pursuit, Arctic (Mads Mikkelsen film) , The Door (German film starring Mads Mikkelsen) , Interstellar, Charlie Countryman, 2001 A Space Odyssey and Mary Poppins Returns.

Captain Marvel - This has gotten pretty mediocre reviews, but I don't get why. One of the very best MCU films so far if you ask me. And there's two very simple reasons for that. 1) it doesn't feel like a MCU-film at all, and 2) it doesn't feel like a superhero movie. And this is what I would say about all of my top 5 MCU films. My favourite MCU films are those that are different and doesn't feel like a standard superhero or MCU movie. This feels more like a half-corny sci-fi actioner, than an actual superhero movie. And I like that. But ti does suffer from a lot of dodgy CGI and the 10-15 minutes where she wnet bananas and looked like Superman on steroids. But other than that I found this to be really solid and entertaining.

Stockholm - "Based on the absurd but true 1973 bank heist and hostage crisis in Stockholm that was documented in the New Yorker as the origins of the 'Stockholm Syndrome'.".

This black comedy/crime movie stars and EXCELLENT Ethan Hawke who really carries the majority of the film on his shoulders, but Noomi Rapace were surprisingly good, and Mark Strong and Christopher Heyerdahl delivers some very good performances as well. I honestly thought this was really funny. Absurd, weird, wicked, witty as hell and exciting. Very much recommended!

The Third Man - Holly Martins travels to Vienna to meet with his friend Harry Lime, but is informed that the man has died in an accident. After going to a bar after attending his funeral, he meets a detective, when he is inclined to believe that Lime died under suspicious circumstances, so he chooses to stay in Vienna longer to investigate. During the ordeal, Holly meets Harry's girlfriend, who wants to know more about him. It's a slow build, but halfway through the film, it gets really good and there's plenty of twists. My first film noir I've watched, and it looks like there's plenty more to binge on Netflix.

Finding Steve McQueen - Romantic heist movie with a ton of references  to Steve McQueen who, as we all know, was a bloody muthafuckin god. I like it. Witty, romantic, cute. Yeah. Not exceptional, but good fun nonetheless.

Love Shot - Low-budget romantic crime movie that feels different than the rest. There's something really cool and laidback about it that I really liked. Not a masterpiece, but really awesome anyway.

Ying - Yimou Zhang returns to the epic style of wuxia that he made in the early to mid 2000's with movies like Hero, 

House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden Flower. The entire movie, with the exception of human skin and blood, are mostly different types of grey, black and white, and it looks absolutely gorgeous and Yimou Zhang really succeeded in making a film that looks and feels like an old Chinese painting. Chao Deng is brilliant in a double role which should've earned him an oscar for the best actor (among the best performances I've seen in a long, long, long time), the story is good and interesting and the action is top notch. Must see for fans of wuxia!

Top Knot Detective - Fictional documentary about the rise and fall of a Japanese samurai/detective series that was called in Ronin Suiri Tentai (Deductive Reasoning Ronin) in Japan, but Top Knot Detective in Australia. This is actually fucking fantastic. Hilarious stuff. And it is so good on so many levels. As a comedy, as a drama, as a documentary and as a homage. I want them to make the actual Top Knot Detective series. Looks so good!

Universal Soldier: The Return - 8 years after the original cult classic Universal Soldier they returned with a sequel that didn't really do much. Decent entertainment, but not more really. Probably won't see it again.

Universal Soldier: Regeneration - 10 years after US: The Return we get another sequel, and this time it's much better. Jean-Claude Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren and Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski are top billed, but it's actually Andrei Arlovski and Mike Pyle that has the biggest roles. Jean-Claude Van Damme have a big role in the last 30 and Dolph Lundgren have an even smaller one, but considered they starred in the original it was always gonna be them who stole the show. It's still far from the classic original tho, but it's fun. There was one really memorable scene that's a long stealth murdering party, as well as a few cool death scenes.

Been super into dinosaurs again since my friend got me playing The Isle... so I decided to go back and finally watch the two latest Jurassic World entries.

Jurassic World was a bit of a retread of the first movie, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Certainly had some issues, but honestly I was just happy for a dinosaur movie that was decent. Blue is freakin' adorable just like people said and I wish I could have a pet baby raptor. Finally saw that one kill that everyone talked about as shocking, and man, what the hell did she do to deserve THAT? But it was also a super cool kill at the same time.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom had my hopes up for more dinosaur action.. and while there was some, I ended up being really disappointed by how little time the other dinosaurs got and the lack of variety. I really wanted to see more of the Allosaurus or Carnotaurus! Or other dinos! At least the pachycephalosaurus type (forgot its name) had some funny scenes. It was still fun to watch, but I probably wouldn't bother giving it a rewatch.

I hope the third one is better, but I'll probably forget both movies by the time it's finally out.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
I love where this shit is going and John Wick are a massive step in the right direction as far as American action movies goes. Loved that obvious homage to The Villainess. So cool!

Avengement
I'm a huge fan of Scott Adkins and this is Scott Adkins near his best. A proper banger. Mental fucking Adkins! Glorious action flick. Directed by Jesse V. Johnson, the man behind the recent Scott Adkins movies Triple Threat, The Debt Collector and Accident Man, all really awesome films. Looking forward to Scott Adkins in Yip Man 4. Should be loads and loads of fun. Hope he's got a big role.

The Meg
Decent enough monster movie that feels like a modern day Jaws, albeit not 1/10 as good. Always love me some Jason Statham, and I'll gladly see more of both Bingbing Li and Ruby Rose. But this movie could've done with more blood, and should've been cut 20-25 minutes for sure.

I Am Mother
Good sci-fi thriller. Another success for Netflix. Cool concept, cool atmosphere. Nice and bleak.

Hurricane Bianca

tenor.gif?itemid=10774055

Spoiler

There were a few parts I enjoyed, like Bianca/Richard's one-liners about the kids and some others I've forgotten (which is bad if you're supposed to remember the parts you enjoyed!), but overall this movie was terrible. It strongly reaked of spoiled cheese and the script was written by Captain Obvious. There was hardly any buildup to certain parts of the story, such as Richard's actual character development, the birth and construction of his drag character, his budding friendship with Karma (who's obviously a biological woman but is ***magically trans***!!!!) (the bitch literally moved in to her house like, a day after meeting her??? what???), the kid getting bullied at school, Bianca's final plan for revenge, etc., I could go on all day. Also, they seemed to play it safe the whole time and this movie could have gone much further than it did, and it felt more like PC than anything (especially with the homophobia/racism being too fucking soft that it was practically unrealistic jfc). The gay and racist jokes, plus the plenty of Southern jokes that came along with it, were so repetitive that the same ones were used over and over again (the fucking tacos, everyone's related in Texas!!!!1) and the delivery was just SO FUCKING FORCED holy shit. Certain parts of the movie had no explanation and didn't make any sense at all, such as Lady Gaga supposedly appearing at a Teacher of the Year ceremony (bitch the REACH in this one...), and the repeated forecasts of the actual hurricane despite the weather being the complete opposite in the movie setting (and RuPaul totally not trying to sell the weatherman act whatsoever). The acting was so bad and bland that this felt more like a kids' movie or some dumb teen show on MTV rather than an adult comedy, and that's sad when the main subject is Bianca fucking Del Rio. She was the only thing keeping me from switching the thing off after the first 15 minutes or so, but somehow I got through it thinking it was gonna get better...but to no avail. Somehow there was a sequel made for this shit and I don't even know if I wanna touch that one or not...

Films like these are what's wrong with the industry in this age conquered by butthurt millennials on the internet and overall killing artistic creativity. We as a society have regressed back in time where in media, one mustn't overstep boundaries and risk offending certain people (like 0.1% of the population??? ok KARMA) so the film has to be toned down significantly, while at the same time try to be edgy - newsflash: it doesn't work. Same as with forcing all these "celebrity appearances" or reaching so hard for that same joke you used two or three times in a row that your fucking arms fall off. I was also not really impressed with the assumption that Southern people are dirty, incestuous, bigoted, etc. It really dragged on after the first 5 minutes or so of Richard arriving in Texas, and it got old real quick. I'm too tired to type more, but the gist of it is, this film is uninspired and just there to make a quick buck for everyone involved since Bianca is a bonafide star. I suggest she stick to standup rather than movies tho...

Shaft - Shaft is a sequel to...Shaft. Yeah. That is right. It is a sequel to a remake from 2000. I'm a huge fan of the original Shaft and consider it to be the best blaxploitation movie ever and one of the greatest western action movies of the 70's. I also really like the two sequels and the series from the 70's. I didn't like the remake and sequel from 2000 (which was 15 years ago or so, so that might have changed), so I did not expect much from this. But I was pleasantly surprised. Not a masterpiece, but a fun, dumb, semi-offensive and charming action comedy. Recommended for sure. Looking forward to a sequel.

Btw: This is the type of movie that'll do bad with the critics, but good with the audience. So don't mind the critics.

Shazam! - All of a sudden DC moves out of the pseudo-dark and boring superhero universe they've created and gives us an uplifting, heartwarming, fun and charming superhero movie that's just different. Doesn't feel like a modern superhero movie at all, which is POSITIVE as hell! It was a bit too long and I wish they had put more effort into the feelings and struggles of Billy Batson (Shazam), because they've could've created a really, really deep superhero movie if they did. But they took the easy route which is understandable as they want their money. But yeah, recommended. On par with the second-tier Marvel movies for sure. So not as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Thor: Ragnarok, but around as good as Captain Marvel, , Doctor Strange, Captain America: Civil War, Ant-Man.  Fun thing about all these tho is that when they were released, they all took a different spin on the classic superhero tale. They just don't feel like proper superhero movies, which makes them really stand out among modern superhero movies. Glad more and more movies start to look at the genre in different ways, and how to make something new of it.

Edited by Bear

Saw both the new Spiderman movie and Toy Story 4. Both very enjoyable. Though if I had to pick which was better in terms of entertainment, I would have to go with Toy Story 4 surprisingly. I'm pretty much done investing in MCU movies after this. It's just too much for me to keep up at this point. Investing another 11 or so years for the next phase? Ya.... nope, not happening. As for Toy Story, man this 4th one proved me wrong. Thought 3 was the perfect conclusion and anything after would just be cash grabs. But I'm glad I was wrong. This is definitely up there on my top 5 flicks of 2019.

Pulled up the dispo party wagon to the Odessa film festival and the saw my first film of the tournee, Der Goldene Handschuh

First off, the comparisons to The House That Jack Built are totally off the mark. Von Trier's film is intensively personal with the killing used as an allegory for his own actions, while Atih's film is more an exploration of a Brueghel-like scene of an entire social sphere in complete disarray where you could argue that no one is inherently bad, but rather intensively traumatised with their worst aspects enabled by their social environment. If The House That Jack Built is the quintessential self-obsessed straight white male™ director making a film about himself, Der Goldene Handschuh is almost the opposite of this in its focus on the world that the unfortunate people inhabit, it arguably even has more than a helping of sympathy for Honka himself. What the former film has going for itself however, is that it is very much a complete work, developing throughout into a statement about itself and the person who made it; the latter on the other hand more or less shows its cards right from the jump and then you're in it just for the romp and the themes and motives are not much further investigated than what you'll get during the first half. 

As a true crime fan I have to commend the film for doing a couple of things I haven't seen done like this, first of all that the human empathy offered towards the victims and the other inhabitants of this world is also extended to the almost comically grotesque, 1970's Quasimodo the serial killer who by all accounts could've been an alright guy had it not been for his unfortunate upbringing coupled with an environment that fosters if not encourages the consumption of vast amounts of alcohol to cope with a world that's first for unjust and inhuman. Despite what some might've said and a lot of people still like to believe, alcohol plays an important part and if you go through the serial killer boom of the 70's and 80's you'll find out that most if not all of the big names were barely functioning alcoholics to whom alcohol played a big part in the killings ( including the biggest names of the period like Bundy, Gacy and Dahmer. With proper health care and social welfare it could be argued that all of them could've been avoided. ) If there's anything to be taken from the film is a strong teetotaler ethic, lol. 

Anyway, a decent film in the exploitation film tradition that looks incredible from shots to the makeup. A lot of people were walking out of the theater even though I didn't think it was nearly as bad as THTJB,  and probably most of these people went back to their homes to eat sausages or some shit bloody hypocrites. I haven't decided what I'll see next, but it looks like Ken Loach has a new film out so guess I'll try to see that.   

4 minutes ago, suji said:

I watched My Neighbor Totoro for the first time today ♥

Awww! I saw it around a month ago for the first time! I loved it ^^

I even wanted to buy it with Polish dubbing for my best friends' two-year-old son, but jfc the only DVD I found was like 100$ o-o 

5 minutes ago, spockitty said:

Awww! I saw it around a month ago for the first time! I loved it ^^

I even wanted to buy it with Polish dubbing for my best friends' two-year-old son, but jfc the only DVD I found was like 100$ o-o 

Outrageous....I watched my brother's copy and I believe he got it from a store in the mall in the next town over. They have many Ghibli movies there; I saw Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle many years ago, and now I need to see Kiki's Delivery Service.

3 minutes ago, secret_no_03 said:

Was it a life changing experience?

Very ♥ I've never seen anything so pure and I had lots of feels ;w;

15 minutes ago, suji said:

I watched My Neighbor Totoro for the first time today ♥

Totoro is great, but I'll always love Spirited Away the most as it was my first foray into the Ghibliverse.

1 minute ago, suji said:

Outrageous....I watched my brother's copy and I believe he got it from a store in the mall in the next town over. They have many Ghibli movies there; I saw Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle many years ago, and now I need to see Kiki's Delivery Service.

Very ♥ I've never seen anything so pure and I had lots of feels ;w;

I KNOW RIGHT! Ehh, anime's not so big in Poland and My Neighbour Totoro was dubbed here in 1995 so it's basically a collectors item at this point. I shall continue to hunt this DVD though, because I think it's a great movie for children (and well, everyone) and I need to establish my cool-aunt cred early on duh.

I'm on a quest to watch the anime classics starting from the oldest one on my list. I'm slightly ashamed to say that before Totoro I've never watched a single Ghilbi movie.... I'm past Totoro, Akira and Kiki's Delivery Service and next on is Ghost in the shell~