Neon

Last movie you saw.

The last movie I watched was "The Little Rascals" with my mom and her boyfriend. That movie came out in 1994. I feel so old lmao.

finally watched the house that jack built, disturbing af and humorous at the same time. the movie looks like a stunt for me and it turned out well, although if one wants to get acquainted with fon trier's works it's not the best choice to start imo. 

On 1/22/2019 at 7:56 AM, Jigsaw9 said:

Apparently I didn't have anything better to do yesterday so I watched the 'extended version' of the original Swedish The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (a.k.a. Män som hatar kvinnor), which was like a 2-part movie in 3 hours total. I haven't previously read/seen any of the books/movies so this was my first encounter with this franchise. It was a pretty cool crime thriller that took its sweet time fleshing everything out but it didn't give me a chance to get bored thankfully. In other words, it had a good pacing, great characters, and I'm glad that basically all questions were answered by the end. I'll probably check out the sequel(s) too, and eventually the US remake/reboot thingies, even though I heard they aren't as good (tho I did hear praise about the David Fincher one).

Currently starting the third one after finishing the second, they are so fucking long for thriller/mystery. I wish Fincher just did the whole series rather than just a one off.

I also watch the latest Pokemon movie, the one where Pikachu speaks English. The emotional climax is not as good as the first one in the 90s. Too much afterlife scenes, the scenes felt forced into being poetic. I still cry remembering Pikachu trying to shock a stoned Ash back to life(rock being resistant to electric made it heart breaking). That got the point across better than a talking pikachu.

City of Ghosts - A documentary about Raqqa Is Being Slaughtered Silently, a activist group who went against ISIS and who are the main reason why the people outside of the places occupied by ISIS actually got to know what was actually happening. An incredible documentary, and an extremely important one as it shows us a side of things we rarely get to see. Man, seeing a man and his younger brother watch an extremely well-made and stylish execution clip of their father getting executed by the ISIS really fucking hard to watch. And their father got executed because of these brave young lads. Brutal, bleak, but incredibly inspirational. These guys in Raqqa Is Being Slaughtered Silently are total legends. Braver than 90% of the rest of the earths population.

Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings - I really liked the first Detective Dee movie which was a Sherlock Holmes inspired wuxia film, much a modern version of the classic wuxia mystery movies The Sentimental Swordsman and its sequel Return of the Sentimental Swordsman, as well as the trilogy Clans of Intrigue, Legend of the Bat and Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman. 

But the second Detective Dee movie, Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon which is a prequel, was disappointing. Cool and fun and all, but disappointing and has a lot of wack CGI in it. This film, also a prequel to the first Detective Dee movie, but a sequel to Rise of the Dragon, is another disappointment. Some wack CGI and shit, but for most part it's actually fairly impressive to look at. Creative, original, weird and so on. But I think it lacks proper focus and the mystery, which was made the first one so cool, is pushed to the back. It's not what drives the movie forward, which is a proper shame.

First half is really good, but then it looses its depth and goes into a CGI fest.

The group of four sorcery masters should've been the antagonists, because they felt way more threatening than the actual antagonists and they were really, really cool. The actual antagonists had a cool backstory, but wasn't really interesting or anything like that. Such a waste!

So two days back I watched Polar. Obviously, I was intrigued by it seeming to be a John Wick knock off, and more importantly, had Mads Mikkelsen in it. Sadly it's nothing at all like John Wick. Mads performance was great as usual, but he couldn't save the movie for me. The biggest problem with the movie was its tone- it can't seem to decide between a silly comic book aesthetic, or dark and gloomy and serious. Perhaps with a better script or editing it could have worked, but the switch between tones was too jarring and not balanced well. The ridiculously long focus on the sex scene also quite put me off, but the scenes following it were amusing (and more of Mads than I ever thought I wanted to see). I'd say if you are a Mads fan, perhaps give it a watch. Just don't expect much from it.

Saw Dragonball Super Broly movie dubbed in theaters last week. It is the best Dragonball movie up to date. No BS here, goes straight into the story. What I really liked here is they gave Broly much more of a character than just a cardboard villain. He's someone we as an audience can be sympathetic towards to. The action scenes are nicely animated, though some fight scenes are a bit too fast for my eyes to keep up. I actually have not watched the DBSuper series but I've seen the recent movies to know the characters featured in this one. So it was not hard to follow at all. Obviously, this isn't recommended to newcomers. The one downside for me was the retconning on some parts of the beginning. Other than that, I rate this movie an 8/10.

Velvet Buzzsaw - This movie had everything to be potentially great: the director (and main lead) of Nightcrawler, an excellent supporting cast, nice visuals and an interesting premise. It was so bad I can still hardly believe it. It's almost like they didn't know if they want to make a satire, a psychological drama or a moody horror flick, and all that came out in the end is somehow an uneven schlocky mess. There were scenes that I liked, but as a whole it was just completely wrong and baffling. The 'threat' was also only interesting up till the first kill happened but when that started I was like "....uhhhh no, not this" and then it just became sillier and sillier. Would not recommend this to anyone (maybe for ppl who have nothing better to do for two hours).

*mild spoiler territory* I would totally watch a reimagining of it tho, where Natalia Dyer's character is the protagonist who comes to the big city with grand plans to move upward in the art world, but ends up being a mousey intern who somehow tragically (and hilariously) keeps finding dead bodies. It would be an excellent dark comedy B-movie with a cynical tone, keeping the cringey supernatural horror element completely obscured.

I watched Velvet Buzzsaw yesterday and I thought it was pretty cool. It felt a bit too long, but it was just weird, silly and over the top enough to make up for it. I would recommend it for people into slightly weird and artsy horror movies.

I also watched some other movies during the weekend:

The Salvation - Rewatched this and it's so fucking good. A modern western that don't offers anything new or different. For most part it feels like a big, fat homage to the classics of the 60's and 70's and it works. Superb cast with Mads Mikkelsen, Eva Green, Mikael Persbrandt, Eric Cantona and Jeffrey Dean Morgan who plays a badguy that's so cool and bad he's close to being a parody. Excellent!

Zero Dark Thirty - Decent tale about how they got Osama bin Laden. he handcraft is, for most part, excellent, and the story itself isn't bad. But like the vast majority of american films similar to this it's just too patriotic to the point where it becomes unintentionally funny. The only thing missing is a scene where an eagle fly by an american flag on top of the white house, with epic music and slo-mo added.

Also, the torture scenes are ridiculous. Not sure why they were added, or at least used the way they were. Stupid decision.

Not gonna lie, this has to be one of the most overrated films I've seen and if this was a British, French or German flick it would not have been rated nearly as high, nor would it have won any big awards. Probably not been nominated either. Easily the worst Kathryn Bigelow film I've seen so far, and I've seen The Loveless, Near Dark, Blue Steel, Point Break, Strange Days, K-19: The Widowmaker, The Hurt Locker  and now Zero Dark Thirty).

Watched "The Fighter" with my sister the other day. We both completely forgot that we'd already watched it around when it first came out. It was so entertaining that we kept watching even after we remembered though.

Although my sister kept saying things like "So, which one of us is Marky Mark? I know it seems obvious that you'd be him because he's so shy and sensitive, but, hear me out, maybe you're more like Christian Bale?"

...this is a movie where Christian Bale is a greasy-looking former boxer that's addicted to crack.

Edited by violetchain

Since it's the 105th anniversary of the birth of author William S. Burroughs, it's only fitting that my friend and I went to the basement of a seedy-looking punk venue to watch a screening of the excellent documentary Burroughs: The Movie. What's really special about this one is that it was actually made while Burroughs was still alive (around the turn of the '70s-'80s), with footage of him consciously recorded to be part of the movie. Hence, it's a very well put together and indepth look into his psyche and everyday life, with commentary and anecdotes from many famous contemporaries (Allen Ginsberg, Brion Gysin etc). This restored version has already been 'obtainable' online for a few years now in top-notch HD quality (and I've already seen it ofc) but there was something really cool in seeing it in such a setting with a half-busted projector... really added to the atmosphere and spirit of the whole thing. :D 

Just watched Io on Netflix, and almost dozed off twice in the process. Apparently three people wrote the script for this movie but so little happened in it in such a bland vanilla manner that I immediately felt bored right after 15 mins. The set design and visuals were okay I guess, if I had to highlight some positive aspects. Not recommending this at all, unless you have 95 mins to nap and/or think about how much more interesting of a story you could make with the movie's premise or idk.

Just saw Alita: Battle Angel with a buddy of mine at the movies, and... I actually liked it! I know this isn't saying much, but this might be the best big-budget Western anime/manga adaptation I've seen so far (granted, there isn't much worthy competition, lol). It was thoroughly entertaining, fast-paced, visually awesome and the characters were kinda spot-on too! Weird, but I totally got used to the protagonist's 'crazyeyes' after like 3 mins. She was super funny/cute too btw, especially in the beginning. :D All around a pretty badass movie. I wouldn't even be mad if they made a sequel (the ending is pretty much set up for it anyway), but as a contained whole I'm completely satisfied with it. Might even watch it a second time.

Edited by Jigsaw9

Watched Lords of Chaos. It was....... something. Okay I gotta admit I was pretty excited about this movie right from the start (I haven't read the book, I just know of the real 'music historical' context), but it was pretty cringey all throughout. The portrayal of the characters and the story itself is very shallow and matter-of-fact, almost like reciting a Wikipedia entry on the subject without any emotion or any unique color. Thanks to the script there are some truly ridiculous one-liners (not in a good way), so after a while the 'so bad it's good' effect almost kicks in.

What I actually enjoyed were the parts with actual music (rehearsals, gigs and studio scenes), and visually the movie is very competent too. The violence is very realistic and stark too, dunno if that's a bad or a good thing (ok, I gotta say, the last stabbing was actually cartoonishly drawn-out, but maybe that's how it happened in real life, idk). It's just a shame that they resorted to present it in a way that feels like a nervous and edgy pre-teen trying to give a short presentation on the subject. Ehhh...

Oh, and it was cool to see Attila's son playing Attila himself, even if he's only in the movie for like 2 mins and they don't even say who he is.

Edited by Jigsaw9

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 2018 was a fantastic year for animated superhero movies, and while not as good as or unique as Batman Ninja og Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, this is still very unique and different and a fan-fuckin-tastic movie. Superbly written, animated, voice acted and so on. Also, the coloring scheme throughout the movies are really sweet.

Spider-Man Noir deserves his own movie, and Nicolas Cage was beyond fucking brilliant. Like, he was THE star of the film. Holy shit! GOD!

The Equalizer - The type of badass action thriller you'd expect to see Liam Neeson star in 5-10 years ago, but it's a bit different and the biggest difference is that this carries a much warmer lead character played beautifully and amazingly badass by Denzel Washington. I would love to see less cut up and better choreographed action scenes, but the entie film is just sweet as candy. Completely awesome!

The Equalizer 2 - Lacks some of what made the first one THAT fucking good, but I don't think this is much worse at all. More of the same, but done way better than e.g Taken 2 was. Lovely stuff!

Finally watched Maleficent, was surprisingly enjoyable! I love retellings of fairy tales but don't really care giving villains some kind of sob story. Despite that second point, I enjoyed how the movie handled that and Jolie's portrayal of Maleficent as an extremely reluctant guardian amused me greatly. That and I would like to wear every single one of her outfits and make those horns.

Ohh, and i see mention of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, yes, my favorite I've seen this year so far! Evreything from the music to the visuals and characters was all that I could want. The characters were so well-fleshed out and the humor was just right, I only have positive thoughts about it.

Edited by daintypersnicketydingo

Saw Netflix's Mötley Crüe movie The Dirt yesterday, it was alright. Typical music biopic with some funny fourth-wall-breaking and a few cringey moments. I love the Crüe tho, so it was all good anyway (and the actors pretty much nailed the characters). I enjoyed it more than Bohemian Rhapsody that's for sure.

Bumblebee - It's a good thing this went as well as it did, and become a reboot rather than a prequel because this was MILES better than any of the Transformers movies directed by Michael Bay. But it's still incredibly flawed and more or less follows the same style as the Bay movies, and even makes some of the same mistakes. But overall it was a lot better, a lot funnier and a lot more charming.

Master Z : Ip Man Legacy - Spin-off from Ip Man 3 about the guy who challenged Ip Man and lost. This was flawed, but very entertaining with some really amazing fights. Max Zhang, Xing Yu and Dave Bautista were excellent, as were Michelle Yeoh and Tony Jaa but they didn't have nearly enough screen time. But when you decide to watch something like Ip Man or similar movies, you go there for the fights and this does deliver on that point.

Triple Threat - Were The Expendables gathered 80's and 90's action heroes, this gathers some of the best and coolest starts off the last 15 years and it does deliver one hell of a movie. The cast consists of Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Tiger Chen, Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White, Celina Jade, Yanin Vismitananda and more, and with a cast as fucking crazy as that there's just no way you can make a bad movie. And it truly wasn't. Slightly generic, but it still kicked major ass and was cool as fuck.

However, I ain't gonna lie. I was really disappointed by the movie. And it still got 8/10. That says all about my expectations. Hah! Hoping for a sequel.

Klovn Forever - Not quite as good as the first, but it's more of the same and it's beyond fucking hilarious. Amazing movie!

Us - not the kind of horror I was expecting. It's weird, unsettling and has a brilliant soundtrack. I'm finding it hard to not keep thinking about all the details in the movie. I'm counting the days 'till the next Jordan Peele project. 

a video rental store nearby is closing so they had a big sale over the weekend. i bought 'the blair witch project'/'blair witch' (1999 and 2016). both were good fun suspense/horror films but really enjoyed the 1999 one. also bought the old japanese horror film 'freeze me' and it was good but disturbing as fuck. i remember being curious about it after coming across the cover of it time and time again most likely because of the old malice mizer unreleased song of the same name lol.

Forbidden Zone by Richard Elfman. I'll be honest, the main reason I was drawn to this one is 'cuz I'm quite fond of Oingo Boingo's music, but I was pretty amused the entire way through. It really feels like a Fleischer cartoon transitioned partway into the real world. As far as campy cult musicals go, this one is high up there among my faves together  w/ Phantom of the Paradise. Still don't understand why people overrate Rocky Horror so much when both of those are clearly superior.

I watched S. Craig Zahler's (Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell Block 99) new flick Dragged Across Concrete the other day, and it was bloody fantastic with both Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn giving some of their best performances ever. It's really fucking mean, grim, nasty, dirty, gritty and intense. It's more of a slow-burning neo-noir drama movie than a high-speed neo-noir thriller movie, and it works. Brilliantly directed, acted, shot and written. Superb dialogue!

Is S. Craig Zahler the most promising new director out there? Fucking yes!

Bone Tomahawk - 10/10

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - 9/10

Dragged Across Concrete - 9/10

He's looking more and more like a modern Tarantino in that he seem to love to cast against type, writes dialogue that is bold as fuck and will put a lot of people off, makes slow movies, shows incredible violence and just does whatever the fuck he wants and makes movies for himself. He was asked to cut Dragged Across Concrete for cinemas to have a widespread release, but he told them to fuck off and only got  a few screenings on a few selected cinemas. That's the shit I love!

^ Great to see lots of positive feedback for Dragged Across Concrete, I had it downloaded for a while now, gonna watch it over the weekend.