Neon

Last movie you saw.

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - Lex Luthor has become president of the US and Batman and Superman has to team up to take down him and a Kryptonite meteor aiming for earth to save the planet. Not the smartest, most complex or well-made films out of the animated DC films, but immensely fun anyway with lots of cool action and cameos by other superheros, most of them working for Lex Luthor. Just real fun!

Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - Sequel to Public Enemies, but it doesn't really have much to do with it at all. and it is as much a Supergirl film, as a Batman film. It's more a Superman/Supergirl, with Batman and Wonder Woman appearing as friends to them. So the title is a bit misleading, and while not as good as Public Enemies it's still a lot of fun. Silly, but very fun.

Death Race - No, this is not the satirical action/sci-fi comedy Paul Bartel masterpiece with David Carradine, Sylvester Stallone and Simone Griffeth so on. That one is called Death Race 2000. This is Paul W.S. Anderson (Event Horizon, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil) remake from 2008, or as he calls it, a prequel. And that despite the fact that the original is set around 2000, while this is set in 2012/2013. That's just silly.

I love the original, but was disappointed when I saw this some years back. But re-watching it now, this wasn't too shabby. It got nothing on the original and isn't too good, but it's fun enough and the cast with Jason Statham, Tyrese Gibson, Ian McShane and Joan Allen makes it even more fun. It was OK.

Gonna watch the sequels from now on, as well as the proper sequel to the original one, called Death Race 2050. I am really looking forward to that one. Heard it's actually really awesome, and that the 3,5 or something on IMDB is one of way, way, way too many bad (and good scores) who show how fucking useless IMDB are.

Death Duel - It's been a long time since I've watched any wuxia, so I just had to watch this the other day. Creative, colourful and complex wuxia with lots of depth and nice dialogue. Beautifully shot with amazing-looking sets and bright, beautiful colors (as expected from a 70's Shaw Brothers wuxia), superbly choreographed (as expected from a Chor Yuen film), and brilliantly acted throughout. The film stars a brilliant Derek Yee, but we also get Shaw Brothers regulars like i Lung, Lo Lieh, and David Chiang in bigger and smaller roles. At times, things might seem a bit random and shit, but everything gets knitted together as the film goes and you never really feel like there's any loose ends. It's just beautifully done. My type of film for sure!

Saw The Autopsy of Jane Doe last night. All I got to say about that film is wow. Definitely not what I was expecting.

It was actually good! Definitely a fresh take on horror w/ a few new ideas as far as themes go.

Definitely recommend.

13 minutes ago, YuyoDrift said:

Saw The Autopsy of Jane Doe last night. All I got to say about that film is wow. Definitely not what I was expecting.

It was actually good! Definitely a fresh take on horror w/ a few new ideas as far as themes go.

Definitely recommend.

Pretty cool movie, I remember being pleasantly surprised too!

Not really a movie, but I just finished watching Twin Peaks: The Return yesterday and now that it's over I feel like there's an empty void inside of me but somehow strangely don't have the mood to watch any movie either. xD

Just watched The Night Comes for Us on Netflix. Holy shit this movie was intense and bloody as hell! If you're looking for something to hold you over until the day we might finally get The Raid 3, this would be a good candidate. Neat little fact: this is Indonesia's first Netflix-produced film. Starring both Iko Uwais and Joe Taslim from The Raid, and the hammer girl (Julie Estelle) from The Raid 2, this movie is non-stop balls to the wall action. Much, much better than the director's previous films that I've seen: Headshot and Killers. Definitely check it out!

Edited by koutetsuhime

Really looking forward to The Night Comes for Us, but I'm planning on watching it with a friend so I have to wait until next weekend or so. That said, everything Timo Tjahjanto and his partner Kimo Stamboel touches turns to gold, including Headshot and Killers by both of them as The Mo Brothers. Kinda expect this to be among the best work from either too, tbh. It's just right up my alley.

Looking forward to Timo Tjahjanto's May the Devil Take You (homage to the first two The Evil Dead movies?) and Kimo Stamboel's One Good Thing which I don't know nothing about, but being a Kimo Stamboel film it should turn out excellent.

Thoroughbreds - Slightly absurd black comedy which is dark and sleek, with beautifully crafted dialogue, great characters and a simple, yet superb story. It's a film about two quite different teenage girls re-connecting. One is an smart, upper-class girl, the other is an emotionless girl with an eye for great wit. Never hilarious, but always witty and it'll keep you smiling throughout, despite the dark themes depicted. 

Wind River - The type of film that, if you've seen 50+ murder-mysteries, will offer nothing new in term of story or characters. You've seen it all before. But it's amazingly crafted in every way tbh. The setting on an indian reservation, the dialogue, the characters, the suspense of it all. Really damn fine handwork, and it's all led on by a stellar performance by Jeremy Renner who is turning out to become a proper fine actor, as well as a fantastic Elizabeth Olsen. Shootout scene was INTENSE as fuck. Holy crap!

The Nice Guys - With The Nice Guys director-writer Shane Black movies into buddy cop territory with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling playing an enforcer and p.i. Both doing incredibly well throughout, and they're both funny as fuck and the chemistry is spot on. Face-paced, funny, edgy without trying to hard and just classy. The film is set in the late 70's, but it feels like a proper 80's film. Think films like Lethal Weapon, 48 Hours, The Last Boy Scout, Running Scared and so on. It's that type of a film. Excellent! 

Deepwater Horizon - The first half is fantastic with good, ol' Kurt Russell stealing the show. Like, completely stealing the show. It's a one-man show until he's hit in the shower. But when ut turns into a standard, CGI-driven action fest it turns into a very standard and generic catastrophe film. Such a waste. The scene with the american flag hanging in front of the flames are absolutely ridiculous. L O L!

The Queen of Hollywood Blvd - From the very beginning of the film I can easily see what first-time director Orson Oblowitz is trying to do. He's clearly inspired by Grindhouse cinema and perhaps a few, older noir movies. It's all style over substance, but the style simply isn't good enough. The pacing is off for most part of the film, and while it does look pretty good for most part, every now and then it turns into some cheap-lookin' trash out of nowhere. It's not awful, but could and should've been so much better. I can see this become a cult film with the years, tho.

Phone Booth - Realized I had to re-watch this, and I am glad I did because this is even better than I remembered. The film stars a young, inexperienced Colin Farrell, Kiefer Sutherland, who only appears in one scene but is talking throughout and Forest Whitaker, all whom deliver amazing performances. Phone Booth is a neo-noir inspired thriller which is intense as fuck, even though it's mostly filmed in one location with Colin Farrell's character spending most of the time inside a phone booth. Really damn good film!

Black '47 - Dark and gritty Irish western-drama set during the great famine in 1847.  Doesn't offer much new, but stellar performances by the likes of Hugo Weaving and James Frecheville and beautiful cinematography makes it very interesting and good. Very much worth a look.

Hell or High Water - Neo-western crime that stars Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham on one side of the law, and Chris Pine and Ben Foster on the other side. Superb atmosphere, well-acted (with Jeff Bridges stealing the show) and well-directed. But the highlight is the script, but none other than Taylor Sheridan who wrote Sicario and this, before he went on to write and direct the excellent Wind River. Obviously a man with great talent.  Not quite as good as Sicario or Wind River, but different type of films where this obviously aims at more social criticism, especially towards the american banks and shit. Anyway, good stuff!

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - First one was bad and one of the more overrated films in the history, and this isn't much better. Awful, modern action film that does nothing right. Just like the first one. And it seems like they spent the majority of their budget on one particular scene, the "spectacular" action scene that's as far from spectacular, impressive or fun as it gets, just like the church scene in the first film. Only a blind fool would enjoy scenes like that. If they had done them in one shot, sure. But how many cuts do they have during these scenes? 20-30? If they managed to hide the cuts, sure, cool. But they're so obvious it only gets embarrassing. 

Taron Egerton has one of the most punchable faces in history of cinema. Fuck these films and fuck anyone who actually like them.

Running Scared - Had to re-watch this buddy cop action-comedy after watching The Nice Guys, and this was slightly better than I remembered. Adds nothing new to the genre, but the chemistry between our leads, the humour, the action, the characters. There's nothing not to enjoy here. Very fun!

Friday - Re-watched this. Maybe not quite as fun as when I was 17, but still loads of fun. Both Ice Cube and Chris Tucker does a really good job.

Karate Kill - With a tagline like "He is no Mr. Miyagi." and a poster that looks like a billion dollars, I kinda got my expectations up high for this film. It's a Kurando Mitsutake film, so you know it'll be cheap and have a "I'll do whatever the fuck I feel like, so fuck you you fucking fuck" attitude as Kurando Mitsutake doesn't give a flying fuck about anything, but I was let down by this, as I was by his Gun Woman. Should've been shorter, should've looked slightly less digital and should've completely dropped the CGI. I liked his Samurai Avenger: The Blind Wolf tho. Not amazing, but real fun for whatever the fuck it is. A cross between classic chambara and spaghetti western. But despite some cool ides and very good martial arts scenes, it's ultimately disappointing.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Final Score

Seraphim Falls

The Night Comes for Us

I'm really itching to say something about The Night Comes for Us, but with everything that's going on and people getting so easily  offended by opinions these days I guess I just gotta keep it to myself. Or just PM Jigsaw9 as he's actually not an easily offended little... woops. Sorry guys.

Edited by Bear

Creed 2

Nowhere near as stellar as the first one, but still a worthy flick to be seen on the big screen. Before the first trailer came out, I thought the prediction of Ivan Drago having a  son taking on Adonis Creed was just a silly joke from youtube comments because the first Creed was so brilliantly done that I thought it was too smart to pull another Rocky IV. Well, it certainly wasn't as silly as Rocky IV even though it was quite entertaining. Boxing matches are done well except no single take shots like in the first one. Rocky is more likable than ever. Music didn't impress me as the first. Adonis kinda annoyed me for being stubbornly prideful. Not a bad sequel overall but it wasn't necessary.

Black Panther

I haven't watched most Marvel movies, but I heard this one is really good, plus I am always down for some "minority" representation. Came away from it kinda like "eh, it was fine". I saw some people saying Michael B Jordan (Killmonger) should get acting awards for this movie, but I thought his performance (and his character) was pretty flat. I liked Danai Gurira (Okoye) and Letitia Wright (Shuri) a lot more. Also I thought Chadwick Boseman's accent was weird and distracting.

What I did find impressive was the costume design, music, and set design. The waterfall battle arena was pretty nuts.

Vendetta - Mid-80's WiP (women in prison) trash. Full of cheese, titties, badly choreographed fights and good-bad dialogue. What's not to like? Nothing. This is a great film if you enjoy this type of 80's cheese.

The NeverEnding Story - As far as fantasy films goes, this just has to be among the very, very best the genre has to offer. The story is brilliant, the directed is fantastic, cinematography is top notch, it's well-acted and the best of it all, the sets, costumes, make-up and special effects. They're so good! Imagine if The Hobbit had sets, costumes, make-up and special effects that was 1/100000th this good, imagine what film The Hobbit would've been then. But nah, Peter Jackson, whom I like, as well as The Hobbit movies, had to run over to the cheap effects store, buy cheap costumes, get someone bad at SFX doing the CGI and so on. What could have been.

Anyway just an overall brilliant film. As far as traditional fantasy goes, it's up there with The Lord of the Rings, Excalibur, The Princess Bride, Dragonslayer, Clash Of The Titans, Conan The Barbarian and so on. It's among the very best.

Aquaman - Eh. Best DC film so far, but that ain't saying much. Felt like they had 4-5 different scripts and didn't know which to use, so they just took one part of each and turned it into a long film where the entire tone of the film changes every half hour or so. Didn't get the feeling at all, despite a lot of cool scenes. Every attempt at trying to be funny falls flat on its ground. Most of it due to Jason Momoa's lack of comedic timing. Looked so damn uncomfortable every single time he delivered a line that's supposed to be funny. I do like him, but his comedic timing just isn't anywhere to be found. The other thing that made these attempts cringy as fuck was the music. Like, what the actual fuck? No idea what they were thinking. That type of things works for parody's and weird comedies, but felt stupid as fuck in this film. They land in Sahara and suddenly we hear Putbul's cover of Toto's "Africa". Seriously, what the actual fuck? What's the point?

Felt like a mix of Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jurassic Park and Lord of the Rings for most part. And that's one of the things I did like. It felt more like a traditional adventure film, than any of your recent superhero films. But as a whole it felt unfocused as hell. As the tone of the film went from serious to comedic so cringy to serious to cringy to comedic to serious and so on.

The things I really did like though was the cast, and I thought the vast majority of action scenes and especially hand to hand fights where superior to most other superhero films. It actually looked like they were fighting at times, and it looked like they had actually spent time both putting together a cool choreography, unlike most other superhero movies where the fights are the worst of it because it's so poorly choreographed.

A step up, but still fairly meh. 5/10

ARQ - A Netflix film with the same concept as Groundhog Day, Edge of Tomorrow, Happy Death Day and many other movies, so it's not original or anything like that. But it's a really cool and bleak dystopian sci-fi flick, albeit flawed. But I truly enjoyed this a lot. Thought it was awesome.

Dynamite Brothers - Universally hated film, but I really digged this. A combination of 70's kung fu and blaxploitation, teaming up Hong Kong star Alan Tang with Timothy Brown. This isn't a good film in any way possible, but it got attitude, awful and surprisingly stiff acting and lots of charm. I liked it.

Lukas - I've always been a huge fan of Jean-Claude van Damme, and while not known as a good actor, he has in later years appeared in a couple of films where he truly shines as an actor. 2008's masterpiece JCVD was the first film to truly show what the man is capable of, and the recent dark and gloomy noir-inspired crime-drama Lukas (also known as The Bouncer) is another one where he gives a deep, emotional and impressive performance. The highlight of the film is van Damme, who's absolutely brilliant here. But the story is good and the movie reeks of lonliness, darkness and gloom. The film also contains some of 2018's most impressive scene. One being an action scene, and another a five minute long stealth scene which is done in one take. Stunning stuff! Highly recommended!

Crows Zero - I've always liked Takashi Miike a lot, but this used to be one of the films I didn't really enjoy too much. I did enjoy it a lot more this time around, but it's still a really flawed film. The first thing is all these boyband-looking motherfuckers who try to act tough. I don't really buy it. These prettyboys does a decent job and all with their acting, but I don't buy their tough guy attitude. Another problem is that there's no good or bad guy. There's no one to like more than the other. So after two hours, when things comes to an end, you don't really give a fuck about who wins and stuff. It's a problem for me. But I did enjoy it nonetheless.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - The second film in Universal's long-running film series about Sherlock Holmes. The first two films (this is the second) was  20th Century Fox productions, but after this Universal bought the rights to the books and produced twelve more movies in the series. This isn't quite as good as the brilliant, more horror-themed The Hound of the Baskervilles, but it's a fantastic adaption nonetheless and Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes and Nigel Bruce as Watson are just as good and impressive as in the first film. Lots of atmosphere and a very interesting plot. Awesome movie!

Commando Ninja - A big, fat homage to 80's action movies with clear nods towards movies like  Commando, The Terminator, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Predator, American Ninja and more. The film can easily be compared to movies like Manborg, Turbo Kid and Kung Fury, but this is a lot better than Kung Fury, which I loved btw. Not quite as good as Manborg and Turbo Kid tho. And the reason is that the majority of special effects are practical, so are the sets. No cheap-looking CGI to take you out of the mood. This was as cool as it was hilarious, and it was really fucking hilarious. Hoping for a sequel!

Top notch soundtrack too, with a lot of it being composed by Thomas Cappeau. But it also features tracks from Cobra Copter, Flash Arnold, Ogre and Volt Age.  Deserves a proper vinyl release.

Edited by Bear

Bumblebee was meh. It felt like a hamfisted late-80's teen romcom tribute combined with the Transformers franchise. I think the last Transformers was so bad, this one looked amazing by comparison. That being said, it could be considered a decent kids movie... Just not my preference.

Spiderman Into the Spiderverse

Without a doubt, it's the best Spiderman movie I've seen. Get out there and see it before it no longer shows on the big screen.

Saw Aquaman earlier tonight because the movie my family wanted to see was sold out and it was on at the same time. It was pretty goofy in places, but I definitely went into it expecting that. Some cool action scenes though, and some of the settings were really pretty. I agree that Jason Momoa seemed uncomfortable during the comedic bits and the jokes mostly fell flat, but he looked great. That first wet hairflip when he appears on the submarine was majestic.

Saw it for free, and I was entertained, even if I laughed more at the serious bits than the intentional jokes, so I can't complain. Good enough as a backup plan.

Mandy

Man, this was weird. And this is why I love watching movies without getting any info about them whatsoever. I can't say much other than the fact that this is one of my favorite movies with Nicolas Cage, he nailed it. Linus Roache also did a fantastic job in his role (just realized he's King Ecbert in Vikings wow). Also the cinematography is top notch. I highly recommend this one.

Bird Box

Okay this was very cool and intense, I loved every bit of it .  Now I have a question about the movie, hope someone knows the answer. 

SPOILER ALERT ↓

Spoiler

Why do the "enlightened" seem to have a problem with the children? That Gary dude wanted the children and also the ones with the two cars had their attention caught by the children. There are many questions left unanswered but this one is the most frustrating to me.

Edited by Visutox

Apparently I didn't have anything better to do yesterday so I watched the 'extended version' of the original Swedish The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (a.k.a. Män som hatar kvinnor), which was like a 2-part movie in 3 hours total. I haven't previously read/seen any of the books/movies so this was my first encounter with this franchise. It was a pretty cool crime thriller that took its sweet time fleshing everything out but it didn't give me a chance to get bored thankfully. In other words, it had a good pacing, great characters, and I'm glad that basically all questions were answered by the end. I'll probably check out the sequel(s) too, and eventually the US remake/reboot thingies, even though I heard they aren't as good (tho I did hear praise about the David Fincher one).

Edited by Jigsaw9