Neon

Last movie you saw.

Whether you're a fan of the 1990 series or a fan of the book (or none of both) I think you're still gonna like it, but then again the best way to find out is by actually watching it. 

But I'd understand if you've had bad experiences with movies that got too much positive feedback and ended up being utter shite. 

Edited by Visutox

The thing that worries me is that horror is a niche genre whether we like it or not, and it's a genre that simply shouldn't please everybody. It's a genre that shall divide people. It should be as hated as it is loved. But when everyone, including people who loathe horror films in general, suddenly loves a film, it does worry me quite a bit. Call me stupid, but that's just how it is for me.

A film getting good reviews doesn't worry me. I love plenty films who debuted to brilliant reviews and all that. But when the the 62 year old woman I work with, who absolutely loathe horror films, love a horror film, I feel like I've got all the reason in the world to turn very sceptical. :P 

Saw the new "It" movie last night. It was surprisingly good! Much better than the original movie. I'm not big into horror movies in general but this is an actual good quality flick that goes back to the basics of horror. Many horror movies these days rely too much on blood and gore that gives the feeling of disgust rather than the terror aspect. This however does the opposite. There were a few well crafted jump scares that actually shook me and the creep factors here, especially pennywise, were pretty effective. Oh, let's not forget about the writing. I love the dynamics of these kids in their developments. It gave us a reason to care for them, something that many horror flicks lack. Great acting too! One major criticism I had was the climax scene. I hated the way it was directed because the camera kept swaying back and forth. shaky cams, and the there were like 100 cuts in a min making me feel disorientated. This is one of my biggest pet peeves in an action scene. Yes I'm looking at you, Jason Borne movies.

I recommend seeing "It."

It's funny you complain about the amount of blood and gore in modern horror films tbh. Back in the 50's they complained about the amount of blood compared to the 40's as well. And in the 60's they complained about the amount of blood in 60's horror compared to 50's horror. And in the 70's they complained about the amount of blood in 70's horror compared to 60's horror. And in the 70's they complained about the amount of blood and gore in 70's horror compared to 60's horror. And in the 80's they complained about the amount of blood and gore in 80's horror compared to 70's horror.

It is natural to find other ways to entertain when people have seen it all, and relying on more extreme scenes is a natural way to go tbh. But there's not been a bigger focus on blood and gore in the last 17 years than it was in the 70's and especially 80's. The 80's was when horror cinema really reached the top as far as blood and gore goes. The difference in todays horror cinema is that it's often been more realistic and cynical, and often paired with a much bleaker, colder and destructive atmosphere. But it's not any more of it than in early years.

As far as blood and gore goes, doesn't really get much bloodier and gorier than films like Evil Dead, Braindead, Story of Ricky Oh, The Thing, The Fly and so on, does it? A few Japanese films can match the insanity and amount of blood and gore of these films , but not many.

And if you look at the more extreme and disturbing films of the 2000's, such as Martyrs, Irréversible and Inside, they're not really any more extreme and disturbing than films like Begotten, Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma, The Last House On The Left, Nekromantik, Men Behind The Sun, I Spit On Your Grave, Cannibal Holocaust, Guinea Pig 2: Flower of Flesh and Blood and so on.

So the thing about it being more focus on blood, gore and disturbing themes is a myth. What is not a myth however is that there's been a much bigger focus on cheap, lame and lazy-as-fuck jump scares that's absolutely laughable in their predictability in the 2000's. Jump scares are nothing new in horror films and have been present ever since the mid 70's, but back then, and especially in the 80's when it came with full force, film makers used them differently. And they built up to the jump scares differently. In todays cinema you can both see and hear the jump scare long before it actually hits the screen, both because if you're seen 15 horror films with jump scares you've seen all the ways it can be used, but also because everyone uses them the same way. The way the scene is filmed, the way the music/ambiance is used, is just the same as in the previous film containing jump scares, which again used them the exact same way as the previous film containing jump scares and so on. 

So there's something to complain about in modern horror cinema. The use of lazy jump scares, and let's be honest, 999/1000 jump scares ARE predictable and lazy as fuck.

Bear out brah

I have long wanted to watch the Undisputed series, but I never got that far. Until recently.

Undisputed - Really, really disappointing. I really like Wesley Snipes, I enjoy Ving Rhames and I adore Walter Hill as a director. But this did not do it for me. A mediocre boxing-drama that doesn't offer enough hights. The drama is disappointing, the characters mostly boring and the action is weak. 5/10

Undisputed II: Last Man Standing - Isaac Florentine takes over the direction, and the entire cast is new, even though Michael Jai White plays George "Iceman" Chambers who was played by Ving Rhames in the first film. But this is a different film in every way. Gone is the standard drama and boring bullshit. Michael Jai White's character was a antagonist in the first film, but returns as a protagonist in this film. And he is good. But even better is Scott Adkins who rules supreme in the film, and his character, Boyka, is terrific. He's not goot much meat on his bones, but he's just totally badass throughout the entire film. But the real star? The choreograph whos name I don't remember at the moment. What a fucking brilliant choreography. The way the action is choreographed, performed and filmed is very untypical Hollywood, and big budget directors won't even dream of including fights this good in their movies. And this is a fucking direct-to-video film. But the action is superb. Very asian, especially in the way it's filmed. 8/10

Undisputed III: Redemption - Scott Adkins and his character Boyka goes from being the antagonist to being the protagonist, and it works really well. Best character in the previous film, and he still reigns supreme in this film. So does the choreography which is again mindblowing! And once again very untypical of an american film. Amazing! 8/10

Boyka: Undisputed IV - The first film in the series not to have an antagonist being the protagonist, instead it continues the focus and story of Boyka. And it works. Probably the deepest and most story-oriented film of the series, but it's really well done and it works really well. But again, Scott Adkins and his character Boyka is truly amazing. But as with the previous two films, the choreography and direction os the action scenes are the true star. So fucking gorgeous. So sexy. That shit turns me the fuck on. 8/10

tumblr_oozc7usBGC1rmrpdmo1_400.gif

The fucking Guyver kick, man. Heeeeeeellz yeah!

Kill the Poker Player! - A low-budget giallo dressed as a spaghetti western? Hellz yeah! Colorful characters, interesting plot with a great mystery that threw me around. Took me a long time to understand who was the proper bad guy.  Nice atmosphere and direction and everything. A hidden gem for sure!

Tenement - Low-budget b-film about urban warfare in a time where a lot of these films were made. Super gritty, dark and fun. Imagine Assault on Precinct 13 set in a tenement with poor direction and even worse acting and effects. But to be honest that just sets the mood. It's exploitation of the cheesy and super trashy kind. I love this kind of filth.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - Dead Men Tell No Tales is the shortest film of the series, but still feels like it's an hour longer than any of the previous films. Pirates of the Caribbean started off with a proper bang and The Curse of the Black Pearl is a modern action-adventure classic as far as I am concerned, but the series has gotten weaker with every film. But to my big surprise, I've actually found great/good pleasure in watching every single installment of the series...until this. It's so polished, it's so fake and it's so fucking safe and boring. Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg are simply the most overrated directors in Norway, and two of the most overrated directors in the whole god damned world. It was the same with Max Manus and Kon-Tiki. It's so safe. No risks taken. They just do whatever 68765716514561 directors did before them because they know it'll please the masses.

Fuck 'em, and fuck everyone who enjoys their garbage films.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - I really liked all of David Yates' Harry Potter films, so I was naturally really looking forward to this. Did it live up to my expectations? Yeah, I'd say it did. It's not a masterpiece, but it's just a real fun, light-hearted fantasy film that draws enough from Harry Potter's universe and mythology, but without relying much on the Harry Potter films. There's just enough references to Harry Potter to give you a familiar feeling but without going to deep into those. It's a film that stands firmly on its own two feets, and it does what it does really well.

On the negative side there's a bit too CGI-heavy to my taste. The problem with the CGI is that it's so obvious it makes the things that are real really stand out, and that is never a good thing. 

As soon as the villain steps into the screen you also know who the villain of the film is. Why do it like that in a film like this?

Also, I am not sure what I think about Eddie Redmayne. I can't decide if I liked him or if I just want to punch his weird-ass face. There was just no energy in his performance, but at the same time I felt that it kind of suited the role he played. I'm not sure.

Also, because it's a small spoiler:

I'm not very familiar with the Harry Potter universe at all. Our teacher read the first book for us when I was in 7th grade and I've seen the films. And now this film. So correct me if I am mistaken - but isn't Grindelwald supposed to be one of the strongest and most dangerous wizards in the entire Harry Potter universe? Because he came off as incredibly weak and helpless in this film. But on the positive side, Depp was amazing and simply stole the show in the short time he had on-screen. Weirdly enough.

Edited by Bear

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials - I was really taken by surprise by The Maze Runner, and because of that I was really looking forward to this. But this is nothing but one big fat disappointment. It's cheap, it's lazy and it plays like a B-grade Resident Evil film. The first one had a proper story, it had character development and it had a huge sense of mystery to it. This has nothing of that. It's just another D-grade zombie film that offers nothing but some decent CGI and boring action. It had nothing to offer.

Really, really disappointed!

Watched What Happened To Monday? with a friend yesterday, and I really didn't expect it to be so good and so poignant at the same time. A film that realistically puts in prospective the issue of overpopulation and the lie behind some utopias that politicians talk about in order to achieve their ideals. Noomi Rapace was really great in the role of seven different characters, and managed to make all of them feel so unique. Not disappointed. 

Edited by Visutox

I've seen a bunch of movies lately...

I had a weak moment and watched Divergent, I don't have much to say about that. There was loads of plot-holes and unlogical things but even though the movie was well over two hours long it went by quickly and I wasn't bored. I might check out the sequels too.

Then, in anticipation of the new Blade Runner I watched Villeneuve's Arrival as I hadn't seen that yet.

I also rewatched the original Blade Runner to freshen my memory because...

today I went to see Blade Runner 2049 in theater. In a few words: Fuck it was great. It's got the slow-burning neo-noir atmosphere of the first movie, there's a bit more action than in the first one but only like 15-20 minutes max, maybe? A lot of callbacks and references too which I loved of course. The movie looks gorgeous and sounds too. The soundtrack was pretty crazy on the theater's audio. So loud. I think it was Hans Zimmer's composition that they used quite a lot. Sounded very similar to his music used in Dunkirk. But it also sounded like some of Johann Johansson's music in Arrival at some points. Too bad that Johansson left this project. The short part of dialogue in finnish was cringey as hell as I'm a Finn myself but it was cool to hear Finnish in a Hollywood movie.

Denis Villeneuve has proven to be one of the greatest modern directors. I was 90% sure he wouldn't let us down with this and he didn't as far as I'm concerned. I have no real complaints about the film but I guess I have to let it sink in for a while and re-watch it at some point because I'm so hyped right now. Strong 9/10.

Edited by indigo

The Sword and the Sorcerer - The debut film of Albert Pyun, the man who gave us gems such as Cyborg, Captain America (1990), Kickboxer 2: The Road Back, Bloodmatch and Nemesis. In other words, a cult hero to many an b-film and action fan around the world. As you might get from the title, The Sword and the Sorcerer is a sword & sorcery flick, and it's from the 80's. 82 to be exact. While being panned by film critics over the world, over the years this film has gained a cult status and with good reason. The entire film is so much fun. It's not great film making, but it's got lots of heart and captures what this sub-genre is all about, even though they could've toned down the humour and worked a bit more on character development and story. But it was great!

There's some truly gory moments too, and Richard Moll is and sounds amazing as Xusia, who should've been a bigger part of the film tbh. Some of the scenes are like pulled out of an ultra-violent horror film. Superb!

Not the first film I'd recommend to people wanting to get into sword and srocery, but people already familiar with the major classics should check it out for sure.

Krull - Krull wasn't exactly well-received at the time, but it has gone on to gain a massive cult following. And the reason why is because it's so damn unique. Krull is a mixture of classic sword & sorcery and sci-fi, and the film both looks and feels like the lovechild of Star Wars and Excalibur. The story is quite standard, but the film is visually stunning, superbly-acted and director Peter Yates (Bullitt) always knows what he wants and where he wants to go with the film. The sets are stunning, the special effects are as brilliant as they are charming and the score is magnificent. 

The film is incredibly epic, and while the story is generic, the adventure as a whole is not. It's massive! Recommended for fans of both fantasy films and sci-fi/space opera. Cult as fuck. Masterpiece way beyond words!

Wonder Woman - Much better than expected and a decent superhero film, but if this exact film was made by a male the hype train would not be so big. It's an original film without much origin information, way too much slow-mo and cheap-ass CGI. It takes an incredible amount of time to get going, and when it gets going it's just one poorly directed action scene after another. And even when it takes its time, like in the first half, it doesn't do much at all. It's kinda just there.

There's some cool and different action scenes in the film, but the majority are ruined by poor CGI and/or slow-mo. 

Now this sounds incredibly negative, but I thought it was decent entertainment. But there's no chance in the world it deserves its grand reviews and ratings.

Doctor Strange - This however is exactly how you make a superhero film. First off, Doctor Strange never feels very super. And just that alone makes it stand out a bit in the huge world of superheroes we've got today. There is some doggy CGI here, but what really makes the majority of CGI work fairly well is that it never tries to look real. The visuals is fairly trippy and weird, the origin story feels like an origin story and its tone is just very different from most other films. By far the most artistic and out-there MCU film yet.

Visually it feels a bit like a trippy Inception at times, only this isn't pure filth as Inception is. It's actually fairly pleasant to look at.

In all fairness, pretty much none of the superhero movies released in the last decade or so really deserve their critical acclaim

I kinda agree, and if I look at my top 15-20 superhero films if the past 17 years, the majority of them are films that looks at superheroes a bit different, and take a different angle to it all. Nost of them are aimed at a minor league audience as eellfar, as oppossed to the other 97% which are mainli aimed towards the vadt majority of cinema goers.

Like Dredd, Faust: Love of the Damned, Kick-Ass, Watchmen, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Ant-Man, X-Men: Days of Future Past and Deadpool to name a few, but they are all very distinctive and different to be both honest and fair, and will have a smaller audience than Batman, Superman and Iron Man, The vAengers, Thor, Spider-Man and so on, just to name a few as an example.

Edited by Bear

MV5BMzQ4MjEyNjg4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTY1

Oh dear God, does this look fucking brilliant. Director S. Craig Zahler debuted with Bone Tomahawk, a film that is among my very favourites within both horror and western. And he doesn't seem to have lost it in the years before. Been told that Vince Vaughn is just fucking terrifying and brutal in the film, and that he makes his best role ever. Can't wait for this!

watched that new Jigsaw movie 2 days ago and it was so fucking terrible. i love the original franchise very much, but this is way too pathetic, which makes it impossible to put along with all previous chapters. looking back at this movie i simply cannot find a single thing that was good/enjoyable about it: traps were entirely unremarkable and didn't even seem like they were Saw's traps, the plot has so many holes and was hanging by a thin thread all the time and that "twist" in the end ruined a lot of things from the previous movies. also cannot say anything good about actors, even Callum Keith Rennie was quite disappointing. in fact i only sit till the end of the movie because my pal, with whom i had to share a taxi home, begged me to stay for a little bit more. 

i was planning to give at least 1 point for trying, but now i'm not sure they have even tried. 0/10 is much more than this movie deserves tbh.

Saw the Babadook on Netflix this weekend, and all I have to say about that film was that the actress did an alright job as far as acting goes.

Also, the film's ending left a bad taste in my mouth lol.

@BearInteresting to see your take on Wonder Woman. I thought the action scenes were one of the highlights of the movie, although I agree with you with the slow mo part, it's the cancer of many movies today but meh, it didn't ruin the scenes for me. Doctor Strange and WW were one of the very few superhero movies that I have watched without falling asleep and really enjoyed. But with DS I wish the ending had been a bit more creative, like with the rest of the movie rather than following the "destroy a whole city and defeat the final boss easily" trope.

I watched Gerald's Game the other night. I had a complete different idea about what I was going to get. It sold "horror/thriller" and what  I got was endless monologue and a lot of screaming and moaning from the main character. Although it approached a subject that many horror/thrillers only look at the "during" instead of the "aftermath", it was so boring. Maybe the fact that I hadn't slept properly in a few days helped, but at the end they revealed what I think was a twist and omg, I was so lost. Like they switched movies out of nowhere. Just for the sake of making the protagonist look stronger like she can finally overcome all her demons. It's a 5/10 from me. 

Thor: Ragnarok

I still have to watch GotG Vol. 2, but I'm positive that this is the best Marvel movie of the year. It's just fun as hell and really cool, like hell, if someone asked me what are the main characteristics of a Marvel movie I'd tell them to just watch Thor: Ragnarok. Couldn't stop laughing throughout the whole movie and enjoyed it like a kid. Cate Blanchett as Hela was freaking awesome and so damn hot, Tessa Thompson was awesome too, and Taika Waititi as Korg was probably my favorite character of the movie (watch it to find out why). Also loved Mark Ruffalo and Jeff Goldblum, top tier actors. 

Spoiler

What I most regret about the movie is the same thing that disappointed me with Wonder Woman... The antagonist is shown as the strongest adversity on the movie but falls like shit at the end of it and... that's it. Hades first with WW, and now Hela with Thor: Ragnarok. That can't be helped, I guess.

The Foreigner

A decent flick that's got Jackie Chan in it but it feels more like a Pierce Brosnan movie with the amount of screen time and lines he has. It's somewhat enjoyable although this is the first time seeing Jackie Chan in such a depressed role. He still has the martial arts action here, but in serious manner. One problem I had with this movie is the lack of direction it was going for. Is it a revenge flick or a political thriller? Not something I recommend paying full price to see in the big screen but worth the rental.

Thor: Ragnarok

This is clearly the best Thor movie of the 3. It's very comedic, in fact, I would categorize this as simply comedy rather than action comedy. The timing on the humor is so spot on that I've at least smirked 90% of the time. It's satirical to that whole Shakespearian acting. Even the Hulk is so obviously CG here, this is the most amount of character I've seen of him in any other Marvel movies. Like most other Marvel movies, the villain is painfully boring and pretty much an afterthought just for the sake of having a villain. If you do go out to see this, make sure to flush everything out cuz this is a 2hr and 10min movie. It was painful holding the piss half way through the movie.