Neon

Last movie you saw.

Headshot - The indonesian directors Timo Tjahjanto and Kimo Stamboel, better known as the Mo Brothers, once again teams up for a film, and once again they deliver the shit out of it. Headshot delivers a simple plot with simple, familiar characters,and in that sense two hours is way too long. The could easily have made this into a 80-90 minutes film. However, they don't give a fuck and dragges it out to a 120 minutes long bloodbath. This is ultra-fucking-violence from begining to end. There is no end to the brutality. It's a martial arts actioner starring Iko Uwais, and when a film stars Iko Uwais you know what to expect. While not as good as some of his previous films, this is probably the most violent I've ever seen him. In fact, it's one of the more violent films I've ever seen.

Also, don't miss out on Very Tri Yulisman and Julie Estelle, also knows as Baseball Bat Man and Hammer Girl from The Raid 2.

While obviously inspired by The Raid I & II, and probably also a film like Merantau, there's a strong 80's and 90's Hong Kong feeling laying over the film. Which is something I really enjoy.

Anyway, if you'e into films like those, just watch it. You'll be entertained, unless you are a weak ass pussy.

The Trust - Once upon a time, when I was no more than a kid/teenager, Nicolas Cage was a huge favourite of mine. He was never the greatest actor, but he had a certain form of charm and charisma that I really liked. The Rock, Con Air, Face/Off and Bringing Out the Dead were all a huge part of my childhood/teenage. But as time went on he got involved in more and more shit, and his reputation has been poor since forever now. But despite this he does manage to get into a good film every now and then.  Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Joe, Kick-Ass, Lord of War, National Treasure, National Treasure: Book of Secrets and of course Werewolf Women of the SS and, in my humble opinion, examples of this.

The Trust is another one, co-starring the underrated Elijah Wood. It's a dark and gritty crime-thriller that offers nothing new to the table, but it's fun for what it is and another example of a good Nicolas Cage film in the 00's. I thought it was surprisingly clever tbh.

Far from a masterpiece, but another film to show that Nicolas Cage still has some of that charisma left inside of him, even tho he rarely let us see it.

Sky Ferreira is too hot btw. Yumm!

I went to see Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales yesterday, and it was a good film. (I'm just gonna copy past my rant on twitter about it) I definitely don't get the hate though. I mean it maybe does lack of originality and seems a bit soulless but definitely isn't a bad movie. Rather a pretty enjoyable one. And to be fair, I find PotC to be a really thrilling saga. Not necessarily for the movies themselves, but rather for the universe's depth. They don't have to make transcendental movies but its universe will always seem interesting and worth exploring. It's like SW, Harry Potter, LOTR or any other saga that offers you countless possibilites of exploring its universe. You can actually make lots of things out of it. Obviously as long as it stays into the topic around which the saga evolves. In my opinion, what PotC really needs is something similar to Rogue One. Something different yet that still maintains a link with the original saga. In other words, I'd sign up for a PotC spin-off. Anytime of the day.

Other than that, the post-credit scene left me wondering what the producers think they're doing. I mean, what the fuck?! I'm really wondering what are they gonna make out of that in the next films knowing what happened in the previous ones. 

Spoiler

Other points that held my attention: how the fuck does Elizabeth still look so fine after so many years? As far as I know, I don't think that botox existed at the time. If they managed to rejuvenate Jack Sparrow they could have as well tried to add some wrinkles to Swann's face. But anyway.

Also, the sacrifice of Barbossa was pointless yet I get why it was necessary. I get that, but I'm gonna miss him. 

Edited by Visutox

I had no interest in going to see War for the Planet of the Apes at the movies but I somehow had to and it was okay, but there are some sections that made me yawn like never before watching a movie. The CGI and all is cool and spectacular but I can't hide the fact that at some point I felt like watching a movie about evolution, and during that moment it looked so ridiculous lol.

Dunkirk

Probably my least favorite Nolan movie but it's still good. Imagine the first 10 min of Dark Knight stretched out to an hour and 40 min in terms of the feel. That's  Dunkirk for you. The level of tension is intense and gripping. The music score plays a major role like it's its own character. I'm not sure if Hans Zimmer did one continuous track throughout the film but if he did, then wow. This movie leaves you no room to breathe until the last 5 min. Because Dunkirk is solely focused on the event, there's no time knowing the main characters. I don't remember if they even revealed their names. Otherwise, go see it. 

I was in the mood for a crappy thriller, so I watched Thr3e (2006). It's one of the only movies I've ever seen that's actually as bad as the Rotten Tomatoes reviews make it out to be. 

The character of the aunt was so ridiculous and out of place that I thought it was a joke at first, and the dialogue is so bad that it's not even fun to laugh at.

21 hours ago, Flame-X said:

Dunkirk

Probably my least favorite Nolan movie but it's still good. Imagine the first 10 min of Dark Knight stretched out to an hour and 40 min in terms of the feel. That's  Dunkirk for you. The level of tension is intense and gripping. The music score plays a major role like it's its own character. I'm not sure if Hans Zimmer did one continuous track throughout the film but if he did, then wow. This movie leaves you no room to breathe until the last 5 min. Because Dunkirk is solely focused on the event, there's no time knowing the main characters. I don't remember if they even revealed their names. Otherwise, go see it. 

i saw it too some days ago and i definitely agree with you that this is my least favorite movie of his, though, sadly, it wasn't that gripping to me. i'm just not into war theme movies i guess. still, it was pretty enjoyable and i don't regret about wasting time/money on this.

Edited by Gaz

Watched Beauty and the Beast yesterday and I really regret not going to watch it at te movies when I had to opportunity to do so, because I loved it. Rediscovering that Disney classic was really great (and the additional background story of Belle's and Beast's childhood was a good choice, it gave more depth to the characters which is nice). 

I watched It Follows.... it was a very frustrating movie about a friggin STD ghost that walk hunts you and you basically get rid of it by having sex with someone.

1 hour ago, ArtFart said:

I watched It Follows.... it was a very frustrating movie about a friggin STD ghost that walk hunts you and you basically get rid of it by having sex with someone.

How was it frustrating? An absolute masterpiece of chilling and interesting modern horror cinema. Almost perfection, and one of the most original horror films in ages.

2 hours ago, Bear said:

How was it frustrating? An absolute masterpiece of chilling and interesting modern horror cinema. Almost perfection, and one of the most original horror films in ages.

It wasn't a bad movie yeah, but it was frustrating more so because of how long it took for them to actually explore their options as far as staying alive goes. It also seemed the main girl had a case of blonde horror movie protagonist... I enjoyed the movie... the characters choices just really frustrated me.

(sorry if this makes zero sense. I just woke up from like 5 hours of sleep when I wrote this lol)

Edited by ArtFart

It Follows had bomb-ass aesthetic and an interesting premise, but it was dragged down by the fucking painfully retarded characters. That whole final act was just so fucking dumb

Also, some of my recent viewings have been The Terminator, Gremlins, and Gremlins 2. They all deserve all the positive feedback they get. Very enjoyable, top-tier movies from their particular decade. Loads of fun, oozing character, I really enjoyed all three of them. 

Edited by Tokage

It follows was ok at best. Besides the opening scene which was very awesome. I found myself waiting for the film to get good. The "ghost/monster" was an interesting premise and had a lot of potential but the whole pool scene at the end was waste mcwasterton. 

LOL never thought we'd talk about It Follows here.

That movie was very original, and even had an the underlying theme associated with it.

Gotta scare the horny teenagers into having less sex somehow amirite?

That ghetto Friday the 13th music doe.

Also, I saw Kiki's Delivery Service, which was airing with Japanese/ English subtitles in theaters.

I'm far from an Otaku these days, but I sure as all hell love me some Miyazaki Films.

I know for a fact that the way people will look upon It Follows in about 20-30 years, is the same way my generation looks upon late 70's and 80's classics like Alien, Dawn of the Dead, Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht, Suspiria, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Thing, An American Werewolf In London, Poltergeist and so on. While there are newer horror films I prefer over It Follows, I think few, if any of them, will manage to claim the same status and reputation in 20+ years as It Follows. It'll be remembered and gain status as a proper classic for sure. Just trust me on this, kids. And when you grow up you'll learn to like this film as well.

The soundtrack slays by the way. Could listen to that shit all week long. I really like the recent trend of synthy soundtracks. Been some proper, proper good ones lately. It Follows, Stranger Things, Yellow, Maniac, Starry Eyes and more have top notch synthy soundtracks that can match the old classic ones.

Saw Spider-Man: Homecoming today and hell it was funny and cool as fuck, loved it. Had a few issues with the successions of some events which seemed like "ugh, okay", but putting that aside it really is a great movie and I recommend everyone to go see it if afford it you can. 

I'm not much of a movie person, but I got a chance to see The Unholy Three on TMC just a while ago. I really love old movies, especially silent movies, because it's fascinating how easy it is to figure out what's going on throughout the movie, despite not having any spoken dialogue whatsoever, plus the fact that it was during a different time period where movies were starting to become a thing. Other than that, I can't really describe how oddly intriguing those kinds of films are...it's a shame I hardly watch tv anymore and get a chance to watch one that catches my eye.

Anyway, it's about these three sideshow performers - a ventriloquist, a strongman, and a midget - who turn to a life of crime in order to make more money. They decide to run a pet shop and to attract more attention from wealthy people, they pretend they have talking birds - well, with the help of the ventriloquist, Echo, of course. To not have themselves be found out, the trio also disguise themselves - Echo as the old shop owner, Mrs. O'Grady, the midget, Tweedledee, as her grandson Willie, and the strong guy, Hercules, as a shop worker. The others associated with them are a woman named Rosie (Echo's girlfriend), who was a pickpocket, and another man named Hector, who happens to be another worker in the shop. Unlike the rest, Hector doesn't really know any of the others and is completely clueless as to what's really going on.

Spoiler

So later on, a wealthy man named Mr. Arlington buys a bird, and later complains that he can't get it to talk. The three men, in disguise, go to him and try to make the bird talk and during that, they realize that he has a valuable jewel in his home. While "Mrs. O'Grady" tries to make the bird talk, the other two get away with the necklace. Later, Echo reads the newspaper and discovers that Mr. Arlington had been killed and his young daughter injured during the robbery. Hercules turns out to be the culprit and expresses no remorse. The three are then put under investigation when a detective comes to the shop and they decide to frame Hector for the murder.

It then turns out that Hector likes Rosie, and he begins to confess to her. However, Rosie turns him down, and as Hector leaves the room, she immediately regrets her decision. When he comes back, she confesses that she loves him back and that she's ashamed of her criminal past. Later on, Echo reads in the paper that Hector has been arrested in Mr. Arlington's murder, and that the pet shop will continue to be under investigation. The trio decide to go into hiding, but not before Rosie confronts them. After admitting she'll save Hector, the three kidnap her and run off to a cabin in the mountains. They also take along a giant "ape" (ie, a chimpanzee that's made to be gigantic with crafty camerawork) for protection in case they get caught.

As Hector finally goes to trial, Rosie tries to convince Echo to save him, and if he does, she'll stay with him instead. Echo is skeptical at first, but for Rosie's sake he goes along with the plan and heads to the city. The other two conspire against them, with Tweedledee wanting Hercules to shoot them, but Hercules has other plans. Now alone with Rosie, Hercules tries to convince her to run away with him, as Tweedledee hears from a distance. Angered, he lets out the "great ape" from his locked room as Hercules tries to attack Rosie. The monkey chases him and Tweedledee to another room, where they try to barricade the door with a mattress to prevent the ape from coming any closer. During this scuffle, Hercules chokes Tweedledee to death, but the ape ends up coming through the door and killing Hercules. Rosie runs away to get help.

A nervous Echo then makes it to the courtroom, where Hector is fighting a losing case. At first, he sneaks a piece of paper from a nearby table and writes out instructions for Hector under the guise of Mrs. O'Grady. As written on the paper, he instructs Hector to only mouth words when he is called to the witness stand. Hector does that, but without his knowledge, the puppeteer Echo begins speaking for him as he did with the birds, and reveals that The Unholy Three were behind the pet shop. The court does not believe him at first, and as the jury is released for deliberation, Echo finally squares up and confesses to the judge. He and Hector are then set free, and Rosie goes back to him, vowing to never see Hector again. However, with a change of heart, Echo sadly realizes that she still loves Hector, and lets her go back to him as he himself returns to the sideshow.

"That's all there is to life, friends, ... a little laughter ... a little tear."

I also just saw that there's a talkie version with the same actors who play Echo and Tweedledee. I've got to watch that sometime, if I can find it.

Edited by sheepprincessgara

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

This was a millimeter away form being absolutely mediocre. The story and its subplots were lame. It all comes down to "these creatures escaped a suitcase, let's get a bunch of random characters to chase them. Meanwhile there's some nazi undertones happening between wizards and muggles, but hey! Who cares about that?" So yeah there were many more interesting things to focus on but they chose a simple storyline that's safe and comfortable (also: boring). 

I had no reason to like the characters, only the comic relief dude was likeable at all. Regarding the protagonist Eddie Redmayne, please, pleaaase STOP whispering in your movies. Your voice is beautiful, why do you make it so I can't hear anything your fucking characters say in movies? 

Awful CG btw. The wizarding world didn't feel magical at all. The creatures weren't fantastic. Two of them were interesting, the rest were rejected comic relief mascots from other movies.  Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy would've ended up there, were he not bringing in the cash to producers.

Also they kept trying to crowbar a romance  storyline really hard into the plot.  It was sad to watch. 

TL;DR I don't recommend this movie. If something will be part of the Harry Potter universe, I think it should be of a certain quality which this movie didn't meet. It pains me to know there's a movie trilogy planned out all with the same director and writer. This would be good for kids due to all the cliches and childish looking "beasts" straight outta Telletubies. The villain reveal was so weak I could've missed it and the fact it was a Johnny Depp cameo just made me eye roll. Finally, I'd really appreciate if the cast didn't mumble their lines. Why do American actors think this is a good acting technique? 

6 hours ago, VESSMIER said:

220px-La_Vie_d'Ad%C3%A8le_film_poster.pn

jesus christ, that one fucked me up a little.

In what way? In many ways a typical Oscar-bait movie, but this really got me. Thought it was absolutely beautiful, and the way it was shot is a real pleasure to the eye. I would say it didn't live up the the hype, but fantastic nonetheless.

19 minutes ago, Bear said:

In what way? In many ways a typical Oscar-bait movie, but this really got me. Thought it was absolutely beautiful, and the way it was shot is a real pleasure to the eye. I would say it didn't live up the the hype, but fantastic nonetheless.

I agree, I've read some articles and interviews about the filming process and have to say that the director's strategy really paid off. The relationship between Adèle and Emma seems so authentic, their love so real and Adèle's suffering so palpable. I guess I identified pretty strongly with her, especially in regards to the way she was lost in the pain and absolute hopelessness of rejection. 

Edited by VESSMIER

Soseiji / Gemini - Shinya Tsukamoto still remains, without a doubt, 'that boy'. The film's plot itself was probably already somewhat unoriginal and played out by the time the film actually came out (tho in its excuse, it's based on a short story by Edogawa Rampo which was originally published in like 1924), but the visuals.. Goddamn, man. After every single Tsukamoto film I've seen I'm left thinking the cinematography is just absolutely gorgeous. I don't know how he does it, but he does. The general aesthetics too. It didn't quite blow me away upon initial viewing like Tetsuo or Vital, but it's still a damn beautiful film. Rec'd to anyone into rural Taisho aesthetics, Edogawa Rampo, and such things.

Moana - Ticks every single Disney cliché box, however, differently from Frozen or Tangled I think the different culture/setting kept me interested. Not only that, this movie is absolutely gorgeous and the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard in a long time. Also made me cry twice. 

Nerve - quiet high school girl becomes involved in a crazy game of dares. I was actually into this movie, it's got pretty graphic design and a sleek neon color palette, but then they pulled a huge cop out at the end. Also the trailer pretty much spoiled the whole movie... Disappointed /10

I saw The Four Feathers yesterday. I had seen bits and pieces of it before and it was nice to finally sit down and piece the whole story together. It was quite enjoyable and I didn't feel it as long as it actually was (probably because I texted in between). I kinda want to read the book.