Neon

Last movie you saw.

IDK sites like to parrot whatever other sites are saying and then people will take it as fact. My take on it is that it isn't much of a horror film, some elements sure but it isn't really the whole film. Maybe like 10-20 % is horror scenes, the rest is mostly mystery/thriller. I was actually expecting it to be a full blown horror movie lol

Finished watching the LOTR trilogy for the 353525th time yesterday and boy, it's incredible how these movies were so ahead of their time. I'm always amazed at how the CGI is still so good and looks incredibly well done even after more than a decade. Chills all over my spin during every fucking damn scene too. One of the greatest trilogies in film history, ever. 

Saw Logan last night.

Now I've read the X-Men comics as a kid, and seen the TV shows and films, so I am aware of the numerous timelines there are out there.

If you plan to go watch this film, I'd best recommend that you don't go trying to connect anything from Logan to the series, and just enjoy the film.

With that said, I'd say the film is worth watching. It is a very nice farewell to Jackman and Stewart, who will finally hang up the towel as Charles Xavier and Wolverine.

Man, it certainly doesn't feel like 15+ years at all.

R100 - Another bizarre movie directed by Matsumoto of Gaki no Tsukai fame. He also plays a minor character in the movie who appears for about two scenes. The initial premise of the movie is that a salaryman whose wife is in a coma signs a contract with some sort of shady BDSM company to get 'punished' at random intervals for the duration of a whole year. While that's already sort of a bizarre premise in and of itself, things gradually become stranger and stranger, with a voice-imitating dominatrix, a dominatrix who can unhinge her jaw and consume people like a snake, and the gaijin ceo of the bdsm company who pretty much only speaks in cursewords. There's also some meta shit going on in the background. To be honest, I enjoyed Big Man Japan and Symbol more, but this one still delivers on the "WTF? factor", so it's definitely a must watch for anyone into that. I'd give it a 6.5 / 10 or so

Vital - Shinya Tsukamoto once again proves that he's got a great eye for aesthetics. The whole film is absolutely fantastically shot, and the overwhelmingly melancholy atmosphere is palpable. Tadanobu Asano has as of yet never disappointed me in any role I've seen him in. The plot concerns a man who wakes up in the hospital after a car crash. His family takes the opportunity to goad him back into med school again, where he is eventually faced with the body of his dead girlfriend on the dissection table. What follows is the protagonist's journey for closure and the recovery of his own real self.  7.5 / 10 for me, one of my favorites by Tsukamoto so far

Edited by Tokage

I just watched the danish drama-thriller Kapringen (A Hijacking), a most thrilling and intense film, beautifully executed and superbly acted. Really intense film that comes off as very realistic and gritty, dark and tense. I highly recommend this!

How come the danish and swedes are so much better than norway when it comes to film? Scripts, directors, actos. They're better at everything. Why the fuck is it like this?

Logan

Pretty nice farewell movie to Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman. The make-up and Hugh's performance were absolutely great portraying him as a worn out and old hero whose end is inevitable.

John Wick 2 .. fun action movie. It occurred to me while watching it that Keanu Reeves still can't act. He's just as stoic and wooden as ever. Or is the wooden-ness an intentional part of his acting? The contrast between his monotone speech and his awesome fighting made the movie funny.

I would love to see Logan. Didn't really know about it until I saw the trailer before John Wick 2. Probably gonna see it this month.. or next month.. X-23 (well, at least the Kyle/Yost X-Force version of her) was one of my favourite comic characters, so I'm really happy to hear that her actress is good.

10 minutes ago, peffy said:

He's just as stoic and wooden as ever. Or is the wooden-ness an intentional part of his acting? The contrast between his monotone speech and his awesome fighting made the movie funny.

Let's just say that that is what keeps me attached to the films he stars in.

I feel he portrays John Wick perfectly.

I killing machine with no consciousness or empathy, until he experiences that ray of happiness, and performs an impossible task in order to preserve it.

When it is all taken away from him in a cruel twist of fate, he is left back to being an empty husk, being consumed once again by the underground world and demons he thought he could escape.

I love the Wick Series Peffs lol.

Keanu Reeves is no good actor. Good actors can do different roles, portray different types of humans/machines/monsters and whatnot. A good actor is versatile, and Keanu Reeves is not. But he can do certain roles, and roles that does not demand him to show much emotion or versatility fits him a lot, much like many other actors. Sylvester Stallone, a fuckinggod,bit is amother example of that. That is something shown throughout his time as ann actor. John Wick is his masterpiece. It's a role he handled perfectly. He was excellent in the film. Not a grat actor, but a brilliant performance!

Finally saw John Wick 2 this weekend. Very good sequel.

Glad to see the man can still perform his own stunts. Hard to do in your 50's.

My thought were as follows.

Spoiler

Holy shit. We all knew he gave no fucks, but GOD DAMN he fucking gave NO FUCKS lol.

I can't believe he didn't even think twice before breaking the Continentale's #1 Rule.

Even I was like "Oh shit! He actually fucking shot him?!?!? What have you done John?!?!?"

Now that he is "excommunicato", and the bounty has doubled (by the High Table) and gone globally to make matters worse, who in the hell is out there that may make even "Baba Yaga" hide in the shadows?

With no help from Continentale, or any of his connections (who are most likely going to try and kill him), John Wick is in some deep shit.

Doctor Strange.

The special effects were pretty cool, but I think I enjoyed more of how they were presented as trippy mental puzzles. And the character development of Dr strange as a bad ass surgeon into practitioner of mysticism was also really great. 

T2 Trainspotting - Cool stuff. Brought back some memories and that old spark, even if it turned to melancholy. Stylish as fuck, I might add.

Deepwater Horizon: a really good drama, inspired by a true story about an incident occurred on 2010, where the leads, Mark Walhberg and Kurt Russell, did a brilliant job! 8.5/10

Just watched Keanu and this was a huge surprise. It doesn't offer anything new top the action-comedy genre, but its absurd premise, the brilliant chemestry between Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key, non-stop, fast-paced comedy and surprisingly good action makes this into something great. Had me laughing out loud for huge parts of the film, and it had me in tears of laughter a couple of times as well, and that says it all. I really liked it. Highly recommended if you want something easy to watch.

Strange magic

An animated musical based off of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Singing. Dancing. Fairies. Elves. Love potions. Shenanigans. Evil forces with Scottish accents. 

I looooooooooved this movie. Like, honestly. I was watching TV, bored and stuff, flipping between channels. I usually have rough time swallowing small production 3D animations (small production = anything that isn't disney, pixar or dreamworks), but this one stunned me with it's beautifully polished artwork and smooth motion capture. It was stunning from the very first moments onwards. I watched it, and then I forced my husbando to watch it with me for the second time. 

There were also so many unconventional plot points in the movie that just made my heart flutter. First of all, the movie actually had a strong female lead. And not strong like, "strong until the correct man is found and then totally happy to be a useless housewife", but like... actually strong. With a sword.

Spoiler

And FOR ONCE, for FUCKING ONCE, the female lead ended up falling in love with an ugly guy. And not ugly as in "ugly until the end and then some magic bullshit turns him into a coverguy of an underwear ad", but like from beginning to the end butt ugly. This was an honest story of love based solely on personality, and the beauty of it almost makes me cry. WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING THIS?

As a small con I would like to say that the movie did not have original music but rather borrowed a bunch of well known pop anthems. Buuuut it's a small flaw. Eh.

A million stars out of five. Would watch again. Will watch again. Will cry. Need to send mail to Disney asking why they're so afraid of showing love between characters that might not be the image of a perfect boyfriend/girlfriend.

I just watched High Risk aka Meltdown with Jet Li and Jacky Cheung. This is a high-octane action comedy that manage to balance perfect between brilliant martial arts, hardcore action and crazy stunts, and hilarious comedy. This is basically Hong Kong's own Die Hard, a film which obviously have been the biggest inspiration on making this film and it surpassed all my expectations. Fantastic film!

It both spoofs and pays tribute to classic Hollywood action like Die Hard and Speed, as well as classic stuff by Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. The latter is also spoofed in this film in a tremendous performance by Jacky Cheung who acts both as the comic relief and action star, and Jackie Chan was very offended by this. But Jacky Cheung owns this film. What a performance! Had me in tears at times.

Some of the stunts are crazy as fuck, the action is brutal, the martial arts scenes are amazingly choreographed by Corey Yuen and the comedy is hilarious. This film has it all!

I think The Young Offenders might be the best comedy since Superbad, and debutants Alex Murphy and Chris Walley are really impressive in their roles. Hilarious from start to end. Fantastic!

the-young-offenders_image-2.jpg

-The Great Wall: sincerely wasn't convinced at all by this one, but it resulted to be a quite good fantasy movie, with some great sequences and awesome costumes (especially the Chinese army). ---> 8/10

-Resident Evil - The Final Chapter: I has never been a great fan of the saga (I mean movies), apart from the creepy first one, but Milla Jovovic's interpretation was surely the reason that I saw the other movies, including this one; in general it was decent, it was needed only for giving a sense to the whole plot and it didn't bother me at all. ---> 7/10

I watched the new Power Rangers movie with my siblings last night and it was actually REALLY GOOD. Sure, they changed a lot of things but I'm sure that most Power Rangers fans won't be disappointed. Definitely worth watching.

Saw Ghost in the Shell last night. Live action of course.

Before I give my thoughts, here's a disclaimer. I went into this movie without any presupposition or expectations. I believe it's fair to judge a movie by its own merits rather than comparing it to its original source. Because going to see the movie with those preconceived mindset will automatically disappoint viewers. With that out of the way, let's dive into this. :P 

My first impressions on the movie: Good! This has one of the best dystopia cyberpunk setting I've seen in a movie next to Bladerunner.  Yes, it is infested with CG but my goodness, that cinematography! It's jaw droppingly beautiful, it also does a great job with the world building. It's such an incredible visual treat. The music is another thing that deserves a mention. As far as I know, Kenji Kawai wasn't the main composer for this but his most well known track is used for the ending credits. I think the movie did an amazing job with the shelling sequence in the beginning of the movie. What's interesting about the story here is that it may be the most character driven for Major since she's facing her internal struggles questioning what or who she is and searching her lost memories. Even though she still kicks ass, we see her in the most vulnerable state when personally conflicted. There's a certain critical part of the story that reveals what Major was before her brain was transplanted in the body she uses now. As for as the acting goes, Scarlett did a fine job as the Major. I honestly don't think there's any other actress that could've pulled it off both physique and acting wise. Still not sure about that hair though (lol). The actor who played Batou was perfect. Aramaki who was played by Takashi Kitano only spoke in Japanese but had some cool lines. The action scenes are well done for the most part. There are slowmo scenes used but done tastefully. The water fight may be my favorite.

Unfortunately, this movie isn't safe from Hollywood's meddling with the script. My biggest problem is the end villain. Very typical hollywood corporate villain. I would prefer the first antagonist because the motive behind his actions played a more interesting role that wasn't a straight up villain and he had a connection with the Major. Thematically, the movie gets a little muddled. There were times where it tries to get the psychological thing down on humanity and AI, but that later gets ditched after the 2nd act for the sake of Major's personal identity quest. While Takashi Kitano as Aramaki fits well in the physical department, I'm not sold on the acting. Then again, Japanese acting has always felt subpar to me. The CG may be a miss in some areas. The scene with Major chilling under water with jellyfishes in the background was the most obvious CG looking thing by far. You can tell it won't age well. There was one action scene in the 2nd act that nearly gave me a seizure thanks to super bright flickering stun batons.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I'm not sure if this is worth the full price of a movie ticket but I do recommend seeing it on the big screen. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Rating: 7/10