Neon

Last movie you saw.

I finally watched Tale of Tales, a dark and twisted fantasy film based on three fairytales collected by Giambattista Basile in his collection Pentamerone. The film is loosely based on The Enchanted Doe,  The Flea and The Flayed Old Lady, but is mixed with certain elements of other stories as well as with some degree of artistic freedom as far as I know.

This film is basically three fairytales for adults, being dark and twisted, surreal and absurd, but at the same time beautiful. I thought it was really nicely told with the stories being told in a mixed way, pieced in fragments through the whole film until the end, beautifully shot and a real pleasure to the eye as well.

A film that will bore most to tears, but entertain some, and I am of the latter one. I thought this was nothing short of breathtaking. Loved this film!

And I watched Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter. Pure movie magic based on an urban legend that Takako Konishi once went to Fargo to find the money hidden by Steve Buscemi's character, Carl Showalter, in Fargo. This is not how the real story was, but that's why it's called an urban legend after all.

If this film does not have the status as a cult classic within 10 years of it's release I will be in shock and I'll send the biggest tsunami the world have ever seen to wash away and kill the entire popolation of this fucked up planet, but unlike tsunamis of the past this will be a tsunami of semen and you'll all drown in it.

What a film! Brilliant!

7 hours ago, Bear said:

And I watched Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter. Pure movie magic based on an urban legend that Takako Konishi once went to Fargo to find the money hidden by Steve Buscemi's character, Carl Showalter, in Fargo. This is not how the real story was, but that's why it's called an urban legend after all.

If this film does not have the status as a cult classic within 10 years of it's release I will be in shock and I'll send the biggest tsunami the world have ever seen to wash away and kill the entire popolation of this fucked up planet, but unlike tsunamis of the past this will be a tsunami of semen and you'll all drown in it.

What a film! Brilliant!

So it's a Japanese film based on a fictional Coen brothers film? That's an interesting premise.

I saw Swiss Army Man last night. The film stars Paul Dano as a survivor of something stranded on a deserted island when Daniel Radcliffe's character washes up on shore. Hank (Paul Dano) then realizes that Manny (Daniel Radcliffe) has special "powers" that aid in his survival. It's crude (farts and boners), but it also has heart. It has homosexual/homosocial overtones at times and is definitely a super existential film and I enjoyed it very much. It's a hard thing to explain, how a film where a fart can make you laugh in one scene and cry in another, but it's certainly worth watch. Everything A24 puts out is usually good.

2 minutes ago, patientZERO said:

So it's a Japanese film based on a fictional Coen brothers film? That's an interesting premise.

No, it's an american film by David Zellner based on the urban legend of Takako Konishi's death. The film itself is not based on the film Fargo, it's based on a misreported story by the media at the time. The movie Fargo is just her motivations to travel in the film, but that's all it is.

53 minutes ago, Bear said:

No, it's an american film by David Zellner based on the urban legend of Takako Konishi's death. The film itself is not based on the film Fargo, it's based on a misreported story by the media at the time. The movie Fargo is just her motivations to travel in the film, but that's all it is.

Oh wow, that's way more interesting than I thought! I had a hard time piecing together your first synopsis. It's on Prime, so I will definitely give that a shot tonight or tomorrow! The reviews on Amazon are surprisingly spread all across the board. haha

Edited by patientZERO

Feeling in a slump, I decided to take a risk on something last night. So I gave Teenage Cocktail a shot on my brother's recommendation. Usually we don't gel with our movie taste, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and dove in. I like the show Superstore (don't laugh at me) and saw that the film starred Nichole Bloom, so I was in. The plot follows 17-year-old Annie who moves to a new town with her parents and younger brother and can't quite find her place in school, until she meets Jules—a slightly rebellious don't-give-a-fuck lesbian loner. They get involved in some mild webcam-ming activity with the hopes of getting enough money to move to NYC so Jules can dance and Annie can live away from her slightly-picturesque family. Things go a bit haywire, but it takes a bit too long until things start getting rough.

Annie comes off as a winy teen with no motives behind her rebellious stage other than Jules' influence. Jules also has an absolutely barebones backstory; all we know is that her mother left her when she was young, yet her family still hangs LOTS of pictures of her mother on the wall. Speaking as someone who has had a parent abandon them at a young age, I don't have pictures of him at all, let alone a whole wall dedicated to the person who fled my life ...

For a film about (portrayed) under-age teens performing illicit activities on webcam, the film is surprisingly lacking in an nudity. I was glad that they decided to avoid the typical route when depicting sexual acts and the film even teases us in an earlier scene. The camera is focused on Annie's face in a medium-close up as she moans and squeezes her eyes together, lying in bed. As the camera starts to pull back, Annie writhes and moans a bit more and we see that Jules is leaning over Annie's crotch. The camera pulls out further and then cuts to Jules' hand on a makeshift tattoo "gun" as she inks up Annie's hip area. The scene was crosscut with a mechanical clock that had two toys kissing. I appreciated this playful attempt at teasing with audiences minds, as if any scene of two lesbian girls alone in their bedroom would instantly depict them as fornicating.

However, the film's depiction of the girls slowly deteriorated as the film went, showing the two "play" with each other in front of the webcam, often in slow motion with the audio on their kissing pushed really high (like ASMR levels). I instantly checked to see who was the director and saw it was a man (John Carchietta) and this is his first feature directorial credit. Instantly I'm split on how to feel on the film. Of the four writers of the film, two of them were women, but according to auteur theory, the director is (arguably) the true author of the film.

Without diving into feminine film theory or anything like that, let's just say that I'm completely unsure what to think of the Teenage Cocktail. It was entertaining and respectful at first, then felt a bit exploitative, then ... well, if you're interested, I won't go any further. It won't be winning any awards or turning any heads, but it is what it is—just another potentially throwaway indie drama.

Goddam I wrote a lot ...

Edited by patientZERO

Saw the Latvian film "Rocks in my Pockets" recently. It's an animated film that offers a refreshingly confessional take on the topic of mental illness and depression. I always feel like a lot of mainstream tv shows and movies tend to misrepresent such things, but here I actually caught myself thinking "yeah, that's it" more than once. To be frank, I don't find the art style TOO attractive, but the way in which stop-motion animation & traditional hand-drawn animation are blended together here is very charming. Worth watching for sure.

On 1/29/2017 at 8:59 AM, Tokage said:

Gantz - First of the two live action adaptations of Oka's famous seinen manga. People get transported to a mysterious apartment with a giant black ball inside and are subsequently told to go out and kill aliens. As far as manga adaptations go, I thought this was actually pretty fucking solid. The effects (while heavy on cgi) were actually pretty well-done, the aliens all looked convincing and behaved in their own unique ways, the action was tight.. There is of course the eternal issue of overly melodramatic acting, but that's kind of a thing in most modern Japanese films.. I've heard that the second part basically stops following the manga entirely and does its own thing. Hopefully it'll also be good, cause I really did like this one

sorry, i know you posted this a while ago already but yo, you gotta watch the second film if you haven't yet. i thought it was pretty good even tho they changed almost everything. also, the train scene was pretty awesome imo.

as for the latest movie i watched, it was the new Gantz:O movie which i already talked about here.

I just re-watched The Driver by Walter Hill, and this is still one of the very best films ever made. It's cool, stylish and very minimalistic with awesome characters that don't bother to speak an awful lot. I love everything about this film, from the car chases which is among the best ever caught on film, the acting, the direction, the soundtrack. Everything about it is simply perfect to my eyes. Walter Hill found a lot of inspiration from Jean-Pierre Melville in this, and especially Le samouraï which is another perfect film and among the best ever, but that's just good in my eyes.

I can't get enough of this film. Probably watched it 50 times, and I'll continue watching it several times a year as long as I am into watching films.

I also watched Zhangke Jia's A Touch of Sin yesterday and this is by far the best film I've seen from him. I thought it was very much different from his previous work (at least that I've seen), but hit's only for the good IMO. Some beautiful violence and four great stories. Superb film!

Showed my girl Tetsuo: The Iron Man yesterday. Second time watching it for me, still holds up quite well IMO, the stop-motion chase scenes are sort of goofy in a modern-day context, but all the other fucked up stuff still works perfectly in my opinion. Aesthetically and musically very pleasing. Makes me feel like rewatching the 2nd part and maybe finally giving the 3rd part a chance as well.

Today we watched American Mary. I guess it arguably falls on the scale of horror-esque films, but at the same time it didn't quite feel like a conventional horror film either. It was far from flawless, but the theme of a med-school dropout getting submerged in the world of illegal/underground body mods was interesting. Somehow the whole film ended up being less.. stereotypically "cyber goth"/"industrial club"-ish than I expecte it to be. Also, the fact that the lead actress looks HELLA cute was a nice bonus. Worth a watch if only because it's at least a little different from 'the usual'.

@plastic_rainbowI'm still planning on checking out the sequel to the Gantz film, although tbh i'd much rather scope that new animated adaptation of the Yokai alien arc instead, because I love that arc on an aesthetic level..

lead_960.jpg?1487875212

Macon Blair (Blue Ruin, Murder Party, Green Room) debuts as a director with I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, neo-noir comedy that is as smart, funny and goofy as it is dark, brutal and gritty. Some lovely characters, and the two leads, Melanie Lynskey and especially Elijah Wood, are fantastic and their chemestry are amazing throughout.

I love how Macon Blair doesn't try to hide that's he's both a good friend and have worked quite a lot with Jeremy Saulnier, because this film reeks of Jeremy Saulnier, and the violence is like taken straight out of a brutal Jeremy Saulnier film.

I expect this to be among my top 3 films of 2017 as we enter 2018, if not the very best one of 2017. This is pure brilliance!

I was not thrilled with it. I think the first half was great, but then the second half kinda throws away the meaning of the beginning. I think the acting was spot-on, but I stopped caring about the characters once she stole the lawn tiger. She's becoming everything she hated and the film was okay with that.

Just saw 20th Century Women. Beautiful, immersive movie about a teenage boy and how his life is intertwined and influenced by the lives of the girls/women surrounding him, set at the end of the '70s (accordingly, expect cool post-punk/new wave soundtrack and the occasional moshpit / Talking Heads dance-out scene ofc). Just excellent acting and script. Amazing.

centurywomenposter.jpg

Edited by Jigsaw9

I must be the dumbest fuck in the entire universe. Ever since my big, decent TV died I've watched less movies, which is like for the last half a year. Because this old TV doesn't have an optical cable input, so I haven't been able to watch anything with my surround unless I've used my PS3, because that actually has an optical cable input. Anyway, I tried to "stream" films from my PC to my PS3, but I couldn't get that working. And I tried my USB after googling a bit, and I couldn't get that working either. However, I just googled again and on my first try I found out you just have to create a folder on your USB stick called Video. And voila, it works. Jesus, that's so dumb. Can't believe I missed that the first time I tried. :P

Anyone know a decent tutorial to add subs to video files? Prefer watching films with subs, but I am not sure how to do this. Haven't tried just adding a subtitle to the folder like I would do if I plugged the USB right into the TV, but I assume it would not working on the PS3. Does anyone know this?

8 minutes ago, Bear said:

Anyone know a decent tutorial to add subs to video files? Prefer watching films with subs, but I am not sure how to do this. Haven't tried just adding a subtitle to the folder like I would do if I plugged the USB right into the TV, but I assume it would not working on the PS3. Does anyone know this?

A quick google search gave me this which might be of interest.

DREAMS, by Akira Kurosawa. I already watched it three times, actually. It's like 8 short movies, every one with a different history, based upon Akira Kurosawa's dreams. It's great, just don't watch it under the influence of anything, lol.

I tried to watch assassin's Creed. I kept falling asleep and also I was never interested in the games.  What I watched was mediocre and my friends who watched it entirely and have played the games said it was a 6/10 at most.  (and a criticism was that the apple was too small... Whatever that means ) 

Edited by Platy

Get Out

It is a defo good movie for a thriller/mystery genre. I have no clue why people were labeling it as a horror though. There were some creepy moments but it doesn't build up to anything. The movie works very well as mystery as all the clues are given through out the movie and it all makes sense by the end of it all. The final act is a little odd though in its structure as the narrative suddenly switches to a non-main character. But the ending is still pretty good even if they didnt devoleped the non-main before heading into the final act.

Edited by JukaForever

I haven'tt seen it yet, but isn't Get Out a horror comedy? The few people I know who's seen it seems to agree on this, as they all called it a horror comedy when recommending it to me.

Really looking forward to it. Looks neat.

Why isn't it a horror film? The few I know who've seen it calls it a horror film, and they have the same knowledge of the genre as myself. And wherever I look on the internet it's referred to as a horror film.